These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

AFK Cloaking Collection Thread

First post First post
Author
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#661 - 2013-08-12 14:47:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Xionyxa wrote:

That's the balance issue, the better gankers get at ganking, the less targets they have, making ganking harder is a huge favor for them, because it gives them more targets. I think that if ganking is nearly impossible in null sec, low sec/npc null and WH space, high sec will become nearly completely empty. This being the outcome that most pvpers have wanted since the start of EvE online. The gankers are the reason why most high sec pilots stay in high sec.

When you think about it, ganking should be the most dangerous activity in the game, by far.

However, nerfing cloaks that they produce a scannable signature after 15 mins of continuous cloak doesn't make ganking more dangerous for the ganker. It simply means he/she can't go afk for longer than 15 mins while cloaked in a hostile system. If he is at the keyboard, he can stay cloaked for as long as he wants, he/she only has to watch D-scan for combat probes like anyone else siting uncloaked at a safe spot and move to a new one and recloak when he sees the probes. If he/she wants to say in system and go long term afk, he/she simply needs to log off, like most other people do.

Defenders win because reds are now active when they are in system
Industry/pve wins because reds in system are no longer in a undefined state like a certain famous cat.
Gankers win because they get more targets and they don't loose the ability to be in hostile systems long term cloaked when they are active/semi-active at the keyboard.
GMs win because they no longer have to remove long term campers from systems and deal with tickets about them.
Forum trolls win because they no longer have to put up with all the posts about the AFK cloaking problem

Nikk wrote:

More deception.

So, to use your logic, more targets exist because less targets are being hunted.

Right and if we simply prohibit PvP entirely why there will be tons of targets for people to shoot...oh wait....

This is overly simplistic reasoning. It looks at a relationship like, If A then B, and assumes that if 2xA then 2xB, and if 3xA then 3xB. Of course, it could be A then B, but it doesn't follow that it has to remain linear and/or 1-to-1.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#662 - 2013-08-12 15:22:51 UTC
The real problem is cyno field generators on said cloaked ships. The fear is that "x" number of unknown ships can appear right next to you in seconds, where x is any number between 1 and 300+ and unknown is everything from frigates to supers. Not only can cloaked ships not be hunted before the cyno is lit, the ships ready to jump to the cyno also cannot be hunted or discovered .. hence the "unknown."

How do you fix the great threat of cynos? I offer two suggestions:
1) Increase the jump time to allow the victim more time to get friends to aid him.
2) Prevent cyno ships from warp disrupting other ships so that the victim can get away and prevent bubble ships from fitting a cyno.
Until that threat is fixed, cloakies will remain the infinite threat which cannot be hunted.

.. To Nik, Teckos, et al., even with my suggestions, there are still plenty of ways to catch pve assets, if fighting pvp assets is too scary for you: 1) lay a bubble at the station, 2) use a blue to bookmark a pve asset and deliver it to you at a safe in another system, 3) warp to range of a blue in fleet to land on a pve asset, 4) plant bubbles on pve sites and then use a blue to the pve asset to determine which pve site he warps to from the station, etc etc. If you want more ideas, you'll have to think of them yourself. Can't have me do all your thinking, can we?

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein 

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#663 - 2013-08-12 15:26:56 UTC
Andy Landen wrote:
The real problem is cyno field generators on said cloaked ships. The fear is that "x" number of unknown ships can appear right next to you in seconds,...

In that case you were really dumb given current existing mechanics.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#664 - 2013-08-12 15:37:22 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:

Is that the best you can do? A personal attack? Try reading the rest of my post and then forming an intelligent response before you post.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein 

TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#665 - 2013-08-12 15:38:09 UTC
Andy Landen wrote:
The real problem is cyno field generators on said cloaked ships. The fear is that "x" number of unknown ships can appear right next to you in seconds, where x is any number between 1 and 300+ and unknown is everything from frigates to supers. Not only can cloaked ships not be hunted before the cyno is lit, the ships ready to jump to the cyno also cannot be hunted or discovered .. hence the "unknown."

How do you fix the great threat of cynos? I offer two suggestions:
1) Increase the jump time to allow the victim more time to get friends to aid him.
2) Prevent cyno ships from warp disrupting other ships so that the victim can get away and prevent bubble ships from fitting a cyno.
Until that threat is fixed, cloakies will remain the infinite threat which cannot be hunted.

.. To Nik, Teckos, et al., even with my suggestions, there are still plenty of ways to catch pve assets, if fighting pvp assets is too scary for you: 1) lay a bubble at the station, 2) use a blue to bookmark a pve asset and deliver it to you at a safe in another system, 3) warp to range of a blue in fleet to land on a pve asset, 4) plant bubbles on pve sites and then use a blue to the pve asset to determine which pve site he warps to from the station, etc etc. If you want more ideas, you'll have to think of them yourself. Can't have me do all your thinking, can we?

The reason cynos are used like that are the same reason cloaks are used: Because local makes it impossibly easy for bearing. If you were to move your big fleet via gates, it'd be seen coming a mile away thanks to local, and everyone would run away. To get around the fact that local gives everyone way too much intel, using cynos as a way to bypass or hide your fleet from the All Seeing Eye of local came about.
Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#666 - 2013-08-12 15:50:50 UTC
TheGunslinger42 wrote:

The reason cynos are used like that are the same reason cloaks are used: Because local makes it impossibly easy for bearing. If you were to move your big fleet via gates, it'd be seen coming a mile away thanks to local, and everyone would run away. To get around the fact that local gives everyone way too much intel, using cynos as a way to bypass or hide your fleet from the All Seeing Eye of local came about.

I appreciate the thought put into this response. Yes local plus intel channels reveals non-blue movement. This is only a problem if you are trying to catch pve assets. pvp assets will form proper defenses against you, as they should. As I asked before: Do pvp assets scare you so much that you can only consider fighting pve assets? And if you must target only pve assets, consider my free advice on how to do that regardless of your issues with local. Or consider shooting red crosses instead. At least red crosses neither warp away nor give the impression of pvp, unlike targeting pve assets.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#667 - 2013-08-12 15:56:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Nikk Narrel
Risk is exactly what justifies the rewards in null.

Remove one, and you remove the other too.
Andy Landen wrote:

Why is anyone seriously worried about a cyno?

Think about what HAS to happen, in order for a cyno ship to do PvP successfully on a target.

The target has to stick around.

It is impossible to attack or destroy any ship not present.

BM a safe point, and align to this point.
Noone is going to be dropping a cyno or warp bubble onto it, and if your safe point is at an unexpected angle to a POS or Outpost, the bubble won't be in the right place there either.

Mine in a venture, with it's built in +2 warp strength.
Rat in a ship fit with stabs and tractor beams.

Preparation and planning. Whoever does it better, wins.
If you don't need to prepare or plan, you are not competing, and you have consensual PvP.
RoAnnon
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#668 - 2013-08-12 15:58:54 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Noone is going to be dropping a cyno bubble onto it...

I'm sorry.. a what? :D

So, you're a bounty hunter. No, that ain't it at all. Then what are you? I'm a bounty hunter.

Broadcast4Reps

Eve Vegas 2015 Pub Crawl Group 9

Houston EVE Meet

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#669 - 2013-08-12 16:18:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Andy Landen wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:

Is that the best you can do? A personal attack? Try reading the rest of my post and then forming an intelligent response before you post.

It was the indefinite "you", not specific. But, yes, if Andy Landen gets caught PVEing by a cloaker, then you either did something dumb or were rather unlucky with existing mechanics.

I read the rest of your post and given how local currently works, there is no reason to buff PvE and nerf BLOPs.

The reason you are looking for has already been explicated in this thread BTW. Instead of being an ass, maybe you should read it first. Lots of posts are just to bump the thread, so it isn't as long as it looks.

The reason you'd be dumb to be caught by a cloaker as he opens a cyno is you have several seconds where you can see the hostile cloaker when he enters system before he even loads grid. Plenty of time for you to warp off to safety. There is no debate about this. I've tested it many times. So either you were being dumb (not watching local) or unlucky (the cloaker enters system just as a rat warp scrambles you and you can kill it before the cloaker lands, scrambles you and opens the cyno).

For somebody who claims to be doing all the thinking, I'm not impressed Andy. Roll

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#670 - 2013-08-12 16:20:32 UTC
RoAnnon wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

LOL, I meant to say cyno or a warp bubble, but was typing too fast.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#671 - 2013-08-12 16:25:43 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
RoAnnon wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

LOL, I meant to say cyno or a warp bubble, but was typing too fast.

Heh, I know that problem. Smile

Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#672 - 2013-08-12 16:48:19 UTC
Lots of classic quotes here!

Nikk Narrel wrote:

It could be the up to 300+ ships just logged in and sitting on the Titan on the other side, just sayin' ...

Nikk Narrel wrote:

Red crosses stick around. Call them pve assets and enjoy your "pvp." They don't care about local and sometimes they even drop faction modules, too.

Some pve assets ("targets") take a long time to align and have to remain stationary with their sentries out. Other targets have to worry about optimal and range management. Trying to think of a pve ship that can maintain a constant align through the entire pve site without encountering range issues. Maybe the drake and other missile boats? Not saying that adaptations of this solution won't work for other non-sentry ships. Long range, low dps missile boats do seem to be capable of applying this tactic. For the rest, it is complicated or impossible.

Nikk Narrel wrote:

If you aren't already laughing your guts out at the last two quotes, don't worry, plenty of miners and ratters are already laughing enough to cover you. For 2 points, what would happen in Eve if all mining was limited to Ventures? Hint: they mine at a much slower rate. For two more points, what do tractor beams do to protect a pve asset? .. and we already have -2 warp scrams so how about some +2 stabs?

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#673 - 2013-08-12 17:03:19 UTC
Not 300+ ships. More like 256, at least on the first bridge.

And really, how often does this happen to gank a lone ratter/carrier?

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#674 - 2013-08-12 17:10:32 UTC
Andy Landen wrote:

Nikk Narrel wrote:

Red crosses stick around. Call them pve assets and enjoy your "pvp." They don't care about local and sometimes they even drop faction modules, too.

Some pve assets ("targets") take a long time to align and have to remain stationary with their sentries out. Other targets have to worry about optimal and range management. Trying to think of a pve ship that can maintain a constant align through the entire pve site without encountering range issues. Maybe the drake and other missile boats? Not saying that adaptations of this solution won't work for other non-sentry ships. Long range, low dps missile boats do seem to be capable of applying this tactic. For the rest, it is complicated or impossible.

Uhhmmm...what? I don't follow your response Andy. It looks like a total non-sequitur.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#675 - 2013-08-12 17:15:10 UTC
Are you sure you do PvE in null?

Andy Landen wrote:
Lots of classic quotes here!

Nikk Narrel

It could be the up to 300+ ships just logged in and sitting on the Titan on the other side, just sayin' ...

None of which can affect you UNLESS you remain on grid.

This is why I outlined the exact means to get off grid when a hostile appears on grid with you.

Andy Landen wrote:

Nikk Narrel

So, you are saying you would have to compromise your fit in order to PvE in an environment with hostiles present.
Otherwise, you are exposing yourself to risk.

Your solution involves removing the risk entirely.

Not even high sec offers this.

Andy Landen wrote:

Nikk Narrel

If you aren't already laughing your guts out at the last two quotes, don't worry, plenty of miners and ratters are already laughing enough to cover you. For 2 points, what would happen in Eve if all mining was limited to Ventures? Hint: they mine at a much slower rate. For two more points, what do tractor beams do to protect a pve asset? .. and we already have -2 warp scrams so how about some +2 stabs?

My ore yield in a venture, as computed by EFT: 855 per minute.
Same fitting, with all 5s in skills: Same.
It would seem I put a lot of skills into mining, for a hunter looking for targets.

Same alt in a mackinaw: 1046 per minute.

Cost difference of ships: Neither is using faction fits to get these yields, so the difference is pretty much the hull costs.

As to tractor beams, you don't need to change course and hunt wrecks when you use these. You can stay aligned.
Set up a BM in the opposite direction, and bounce between the two.

Effort should ALWAYS be needed. Take away both risk and effort, and why bother playing an MMO at all....
Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#676 - 2013-08-12 18:54:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Andy Landen
Teckos can't comprehend how targeting pve assets (which prefer to warp away and hide) is like shooting red crosses. Think about it a little bit longer. You'll get it in time.

More classic quotes:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

This is why I outlined the exact means to get off grid when a hostile appears on grid with you.

Believe me, pve assets get caught on grid a lot more often then you are willing to admit, even despite following your tips. Stealth bombers warp fast, target instantly after decloak, and hold point until the hotdrop arrives. Frequent tactic.

Nikk Narrel wrote:

So, you are saying you would have to compromise your fit in order to PvE in an environment with hostiles present.

a) I said nothing about fits.

b) My solution leaves plenty of risk. It just doesn't deliver the easy pve kills that you are looking for on a silver platter to you.

c) High sec doesn't offer bubbles or cynos, so afk cloak in a high sec system all you want. This discussion of cynos does not apply to high sec.

Nikk Narrel wrote:

It would seem I put a lot of skills into mining, for a hunter looking for targets.

Cost difference of ships: Neither is using faction fits to get these yields, so the difference is pretty much the hull costs.

I appreciate that you actually did a comparison with the Venture. .. However, my mining buddy says 2400 per minute for the mackinaw and 2500 per minute for the Hulk, which makes a lot more sense to me. Maybe check your numbers?

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#677 - 2013-08-12 19:24:09 UTC
Andy Landen wrote:
Teckos can't comprehend how targeting pve assets (which prefer to warp away and hide) is like shooting red crosses. Think about it a little bit longer. You'll get it in time.

More classic quotes:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

Believe me, pve assets get caught on grid a lot more often then you are willing to admit, even despite following your tips. Stealth bombers warp fast, target instantly after decloak, and hold point until the hotdrop arrives. Frequent tactic.

Nikk Narrel wrote:

b) My solution leaves plenty of risk. It just doesn't deliver the easy pve kills that you are looking for on a silver platter to you.

c) High sec doesn't offer bubbles or cynos, so afk cloak in a high sec system all you want. This discussion of cynos does not apply to high sec.

Nikk Narrel wrote:

I appreciate that you actually did a comparison with the Venture. For those who do not fly the Hulk with perfect skills, a comparison with the Mackinaw makes some sense. My mining buddy says 2400 per minute for the mackinaw and 2500 per minute for the Hulk, which makes a lot more sense to me. Maybe check your numbers?

Depends on the ore being mined. Each has a different yield rate based on relative density. For the Modulated strip miner II, I had Tech 1 crystals in place for veldspar as well.
(The all level 5 skill version does not have a higher yield for this)

I used veldspar as a common example, obviously your buddy did not.

Fine, lets say you are mining Bistot. For balance of comparison, this will be UNBOOSTED.

Per minute yield:
Hulk, Using T2 Bistot crystals: 1,415
Mack, Using T2 Bistot crystals: 1,127
Venture, Using T2 Bistot crystals: 940

Is the hulk practical? NO.
It requires a hauler, which means at minimum a second account. Add to this, it doesn't belong in use outside of a mining op with proper support.

The Mack, more practical for storage, but still woefully inadequate for defense in the event of potential hostiles.

The Venture, your go-to ship when you want to mine in dangerous places, and most likely to return intact.
Due to small size and fast warp speed, this ship can dump it's payload into a can at a POS quite neatly, minimizing delay in the event hauling is not available.
Alundil
Rolled Out
#678 - 2013-08-12 20:25:53 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Andy Landen wrote:

More classic quotes:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

Nikk Narrel wrote:

Nikk Narrel wrote:

I appreciate that you actually did a comparison with the Venture. For those who do not fly the Hulk with perfect skills, a comparison with the Mackinaw makes some sense. My mining buddy says 2400 per minute for the mackinaw and 2500 per minute for the Hulk, which makes a lot more sense to me. Maybe check your numbers?

Depends on the ore being mined. Each has a different yield rate based on relative density. For the Modulated strip miner II, I had Tech 1 crystals in place for veldspar as well.
(The all level 5 skill version does not have a higher yield for this)

I used veldspar as a common example, obviously your buddy did not.

Fine, lets say you are mining Bistot. For balance of comparison, this will be UNBOOSTED.

Per minute yield:
Hulk, Using T2 Bistot crystals: 1,415
Mack, Using T2 Bistot crystals: 1,127
Venture, Using T2 Bistot crystals: 940

Is the hulk practical? NO.
It requires a hauler, which means at minimum a second account. Add to this, it doesn't belong in use outside of a mining op with proper support.

The Mack, more practical for storage, but still woefully inadequate for defense in the event of potential hostiles.

The Venture, your go-to ship when you want to mine in dangerous places, and most likely to return intact.
Due to small size and fast warp speed, this ship can dump it's payload into a can at a POS quite neatly, minimizing delay in the event hauling is not available.

Not too mention - add a single stab and it becomes bubble or bust to catch them in wh/0.0 systems. Also - a couple ventures w/ orca and/rorq support (say a home field advantage situation) become quite comparable in yield efficiencies.

For true LOLs fit a bunch of skiffs for "tank" plus drones and have them all assigned to someone. Gank ship comes in and also of a sudden gets swarmed by 20-25 hammerheads. Dead ganker(s)....

I'm right behind you

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#679 - 2013-08-12 20:30:45 UTC
Everywhere we have afk docked people that stay all days until dt, especialy in 0.0

My Idea for reduce this problem is add fuel consumption (heavy water?) for hangars.
Something like you can stay docked for max 1 hour (you can also add a new skill that reduce fuel consumption).

Yep.

This sounds awesome.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#680 - 2013-08-12 20:39:57 UTC
My suggestion is a P.O.S module such as a sensor array that can fire off a anti-docking sonar ping. (Remember Eve was modeled underwater so this shouldn't be a massive leap technically) (+ don't give me the rubbish about "sound/space/vacuum. Its the idea not the physics i am talking about) The ping itself would not undock ships (awwwww nuts) or give their exact station (unless you are in a 1 station system...in which case the maths speak for themselves)! However it would give a idea of if their is a docked ship within the station or say a set distance of 7 or 8 AU of the POS (assuming there is a station within that distance). It could work on the same basis as the scanning system. The docked ship would show up as a station guest (coward, couch potato or whatever you want to call it) within the scanning overlay as a kid with the covers pulled over his head. Maybe within 1 room of their location approx.

To make it fair the POS module could require POS fuel to use and have a cool down timer of say 20 to 30 min's.

This would not break the game at all but would give a small inkling of defense to risk adverse players.

The second options is the same set up but it simply gives a list or number of AFK docked players in the system rather than any locational information (except that we know their docked...weird)

Remember the system does not locate the ship exactly and also does not undock the ship (so...pretty much useless). Simply offers a visual of if their is a ship docked or not without docking up yourself.

This one...not so much sense it makes.....kinda......yeah.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?