These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

AFK Cloaking Collection Thread

First post First post
Author
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2841 - 2013-11-12 16:09:33 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
No, at no point have I said all PVP has to be consensual. You just want all PVP to be mandatory. If you want to get a kill, that PVE player HAS to fight. that's what you want.

I'm championing the idea that a ship built to evade CAN EVADE if he remains in an environment he can control.

No, you want it so this ship that CAN EVADE, will ALWAYS SUCCEED, ...NO MATTER WHAT, short of a blob showing up to reinforce structures. He can simply fly somewhere else then.

I am at least trying to get this player to make an opposed effort, rather than playing against a clock that warns him that he will need to make this effort.
Lucas Kell wrote:
You want it to be that no matter how well a PVE pilot plays, and no matter how well he fits and no matter how much he knows, the PVP pilot still can get him if they just try a bit. It's utterly moronic.

No matter what way you try to throw it, we can all clearly see that you just want easy kills. Well you aren't ruining EVE just so you can rub your epeen. Go play COD.

Mandatory? Where do you get this wild idea?

I said that a player wanting to get ISK, in space by ratting mining or whatever, should need to make an opposed effort to remain safe.
If they choose to be safe with zero risk, then they should be either docked, cloaked, or behind POS shields. You can neither mine or shoot loot dropping targets under these conditions.

Smart players will learn to minimize their risk, so that only extraordinary effort can threaten them. That is a good thing.

But in ALL cases, it should be effort that makes this judgement, not a game mechanic that simply hands out free passes.

I would trade in the invulnerability possessed by cloaks in exchange for the free nature of the warnings given out.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2842 - 2013-11-12 16:18:01 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
2. You have heard far more people claim they want their game to remain easier.... REALLY?
And did you consider that it is at all unsurprising, that people seek the least effort to get their goals?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
You want cloakers to be the best ships in the game and kills to be gauranteed. Other people want to be able to have a nice mix of PVE and PVP as has always been the case so far.
Sorry bro, you're gonna need to have to get skill and actually fight for your kills rather than get handed them on a plate.

Sorry, I never claimed that.

I claimed I wanted mining to be more challenging, not pointless or impossible.
You want it to be like the ball pit at a childs' playground, where parents can call in their charges if it looks like rain.
Yes I know that's what you supposedly claimed, but it's bullshit, and you know it. You claim that you want "challenging PVE" because that way you can claim that others want "easy PVE" any time they go against you.
At no point have I claimed that I want it easy for PVE pilots. I simply want it far. If I'm a PVE pilot and I'm fit, skilled and prepared to evade you, I can. If I'm not, I can't. That is how it is now.
You want it changed so that no matter how well fit, skilled and prepared I am, you can still kill me if you try hard enough. You feel you are entitled to that kill by having had to put in a bit of effort.
But oh yeah, it's cos you want a challenge. Sure...

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2843 - 2013-11-12 16:19:17 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
An extreme argument falls the moment it is revealed as such.

I want the player who makes the most effort to win. I do not care if he is PvE, or PvP.
You can't say someone is truly playing against someone else, if both sides do not have an equal chance to win.

Why should we reward players who make less effort with greater rewards?
I would expect your successes do not owe themselves to such handouts, but instead to the efforts you made.

How many times do we have to cover this?
1> Firstly, effort cannot be measured, thus you can't simply say "oh, lets reward the most effort". A PVE players is likely to have considered a lot in his strategy to ensure escape is an option.

2> Secondly, your solution doesn't reward effort. It rewards cloakers. Plain and simple. A cloaked pilot would be considerably more effective at solo hunting than a non cloaked pilot. Would you really consider the fitting of a cloak module to constitute effort? I certainly wouldn't.

3> Thirdly, if you did reward effort in that way, meaning that if a PVP player tried hard enough, he would guarantee a kill, that would be refined and would simply become THE method of fighting against a PVE pilot, thus ensuring the guarantee of death against the PVE pilot. There are not enough random elements in EVE to make that not the case.

Again, an extreme argument falls the moment it is revealed as such.

1. Of course effort can be measured. If you fit a ship able to warp in less than 4 seconds, you create a measurement against which another player must compete. If they cannot get onto grid and lock you down inside of 4 seconds, you get away.
The math is simple enough.

2. We aren't talking about pilots mutually hunting each other. The cloaked pilot only has an advantage if his quarry is using evasion as a primary tactic, as it minimizes the needed time available to them. For a tank heavy, or DPS heavy target, the cloak fails miserably, as it is less effective against these. PvE offers all of these options, to the open minded.

3. Guaranteed? You want the guarantee that a pilot can always escape, under the right circumstances.
I am asking for no guarantees, AT ALL.
None, zero, zilch, nada. I want uncertainty, which we do not have at this time.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2844 - 2013-11-12 16:29:13 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
No, you want it so this ship that CAN EVADE, will ALWAYS SUCCEED, ...NO MATTER WHAT, short of a blob showing up to reinforce structures. He can simply fly somewhere else then.

I am at least trying to get this player to make an opposed effort, rather than playing against a clock that warns him that he will need to make this effort.
Except he will only ALWAYS SUCCEED by doing everything right. How do you not understand this. Are you actually reading posts or are you just guessing at their contents?
If it were changed to what you want he would need a standing army to even stand a chance of succeeding against a single player. That's moronic.

Nikk Narrel wrote:
Mandatory? Where do you get this wild idea?
OK, I'll try to sexplaing this for the 1500th time.
1. There are very few random elements in EVE
2. If both sides act PERFECTLY, one side will "succeed".
3. Without random elements this success will ALWAYS be the same for the same input parameters.
4. Currently this ends in a stalemate - PVE player can;t earn isk, PVP player doesn't get kill - FAIR
5. You want to change this so that without having POS modules, ship modules and a standing army, the PVP pilot gets a kill. This constitutes mandatory PVP.

Unless they put in RANDOM ELEMENTS you can't SOMETIMES lose. You are really not very bright are you?

Nikk Narrel wrote:
I said that a player wanting to get ISK, in space by ratting mining or whatever, should need to make an opposed effort to remain safe.
If they choose to be safe with zero risk, then they should be either docked, cloaked, or behind POS shields. You can neither mine or shoot loot dropping targets under these conditions.

Smart players will learn to minimize their risk, so that only extraordinary effort can threaten them. That is a good thing.

But they DO choose to be safe, and you're complaining that that choice should be taken away from them leaving them no choice but to die.
Currently they have to choose to be safe, and that action of being safe STOPS their PVE activities.

Again No matter how you roll this your dumb idea makes cloaks too uber, destroys PVE and enforces PVP. Just because you are too blind to see it doesn't mean it's not the case.

[quote=Nikk Narrel]But in ALL cases, it should be effort that makes this judgement, not a game mechanic that simply hands out free passes.
OK, so since in ALL cases is current IS effort that makes the judgement, nothing should be changed then. I don't get to be automatically safe. I have to fit and prep to be able to get safe. Local does not auto dock me.

Seriously. Stop all the crying and learn to PVP. CCP will never implement your ******** idea, because they actually like having people play their game. If they forced combat like you want it would basically be LOL is space.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2845 - 2013-11-12 16:35:25 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
1. Of course effort can be measured. If you fit a ship able to warp in less than 4 seconds, you create a measurement against which another player must compete. If they cannot get onto grid and lock you down inside of 4 seconds, you get away.
The math is simple enough.
Oh yeah, because there's a single measure of effort right? Owning and holding the sov, the choice of ship, the choice of modules, the choice of location, the choice of activity, the speed of reactions, none of these come into the count right?
Seriously guy...

Nikk Narrel wrote:
2. We aren't talking about pilots mutually hunting each other. The cloaked pilot only has an advantage if his quarry is using evasion as a primary tactic, as it minimizes the needed time available to them. For a tank heavy, or DPS heavy target, the cloak fails miserably, as it is less effective against these. PvE offers all of these options, to the open minded.
Except no PVE target is going to be fit to withstand a fight, and if they are, the cloaker still wins as he gets to run away.

Nikk Narrel wrote:
3. Guaranteed? You want the guarantee that a pilot can always escape, under the right circumstances.
It's currently NOT guaranteed though, and you want it to be guaranteed, by enforcing a set of rules that make it impossible for a PVE player to win and makes it SUPER easy for a cloaked pilot to win.
And no, you want easy kills. Stop bullshitting.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2846 - 2013-11-12 17:14:31 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
It is clearly local and the gate mechanic/client updating that gives the advantage. Nikk explained this about 60 pages back, so you can cut out the condescending ****** attitude. It just makes you look petty and petulant.

And it paints you into a corner. If local has nothing to do with the advantage, then removing local would not be an issue.

We know it is an issue for you since you think it would ruin null, so we know your argument is a load of horse ****.

[Hint: time to try a new tactic Lucas]
It is clearly the gate mechanic NOT the local. How many times does it need to be said. If there were no such thing as local, but there was a beacon announcing your presence, the problem would still be there... surely? Surely in that case the inhabitant would still be able to react first?

And no, it doesn't paint me into a corner, since I'm not asking for local to be changed.
You want to change local so it gives cloakers a HUGE advantage over all other players. I want it to stay far and balanced like it is now. I want to talk about AFKness of players, you want to talk about local. You realise this is an AFK cloak thread right? Not a "nuke local" thread? You should, you made it.

I'm honestly confused how you can possibly respond thinking I'm somehow being tripped up by my own words and thus must conclude that a god awful change for local needs to be agreed. But please, by all means, proceed with telling me how flawed your comprehension of simple concepts is.

Local is clearly involved, which is why you have spent so much time arguing to keep local. You claim that it would ruin null sec if it were removed, yet here you are saying it conveys no advantage to the person already in system.

You are just not making any kind of coherent argument.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2847 - 2013-11-12 17:21:54 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
I'm in the CFC. I have countless regions to play in.

No you don't.

You can rat and PvE in some regions, not in all of them.
That's funny, I don't remember saying "I can mine/rat in ALL CFC space". Oh right, yeah, that's cos I didn't. The number of systems I can mine and rat in (bearing in mind as well as SMA space, we also surround several groups of NPC null) is considerably higher than many small alliances, and spread across multiple regions.

You wrote you are in the CFC (which is true) and that you can rat in countless regions...which is highly dubious.

Can I rate in SMA space? Answer, no, not without starting a diplomatic incident. Can I rat in Branch? No, same thing. Deklein? No, with one exception. Can I rat in Fade? No. Can I rat in Fountain, yes. Can I rat in Tenal? No.

Basically, I can rat in Cloud Ring, Fountain, and NPC space. That is your countless regions. And anyone in any alliance anywhere in game can rat in NPC space as well...so technically they have "countless regions" too.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2848 - 2013-11-12 17:30:00 UTC
Andy Landen wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:

There is an effective way to fight...bring more people. No, this isn't an argument for blobbing, but just showing up with 5 guys in PvP fit ships to rat will prevent the hot drop (at least the covert ops variety). In this case you don't have to evade, but you may not actually fight...which according to some martial philosophies is the highest level of skill....winning and not fighting.

If you bring 5 battleships to your op, the hotdropper will just pass on that their are 5 times the number of juicy targets and they will increase their blob to easily overpower your 5 BS. It isn't that hard when you already see your enemy and their ships. 5 cruisers, then they will adjust what is dropped on you to handle them. This isn't to say that they will always be able to adapt to your fleet composition, but if your ships are worth anything significant, they will find a way, promise.

Maybe they'll bring more people. See, to bring more people to handle 5 BS fit for PvP your BLOPs may not be sufficient. So then what? A titan? If it is in range, if you can get the people on line, if you can get the titan pilot online, etc. A fair number of ifs. And you keep implying rather strongly you should be free from this sort f risk.

You are in null, it should be risky...yes, even at risk to having hostiles cyno in. And cynos...why are they used? To help retain the element of surprise given local and intel channels. 10 guys in ships capable of taking down 5 BS is going to cause more activity in intel channels than some schlub in a helios.

And if you ships are PvP fit, they may not even notice unless the guy scans them first...a needlessly risky propostion. And PvP fits are cheaper than alot of blinged out ratting fits...so you lose them, it isn't nearly as a bad as losing that blinged out marauder, especially when you factor in insurance.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2849 - 2013-11-12 17:35:28 UTC
Jacque Custeau wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

If you isolate a cyno from a cloak, you make the cyno something that can be removed effectively.
With the removal of the cyno, also goes the risk. You know for certain that any single presence in your local chat, that you cannot find, is also something that cannot effectively threaten.

Maybe you'll even chat with them.

Yet as things are now, a single player in local, cloaked and afk, perhaps sleeping or perhaps at work, is threatening everyone, all the while remaining perfectly safe. Safer than the dude PVE'ing will ever be. Its PVP without being at your keyboard. No one in space should have perfect safety. PVE'rs don;t, afk cloakers do.

And you are perfectly safe too. He is not at his keyboard and he is cloaked. The latter means he can't target you, activate any modules, etc.

Now, once he decloaks then you are vulnerable...and so is he, and oh looky, he is not AFK anymore either.

Basically, you want to be safe from people who pose no harm to you. What you really want is reduced uncertainty and risk...in null. Basically lawless space except for whatever law the players in that space see fit to hand out.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2850 - 2013-11-12 17:38:35 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
No, at no point have I said all PVP has to be consensual. You just want all PVP to be mandatory. If you want to get a kill, that PVE player HAS to fight. that's what you want.

I'm championing the idea that a ship built to evade CAN EVADE if he remains in an environment he can control. You want it to be that no matter how well a PVE pilot plays, and no matter how well he fits and no matter how much he knows, the PVP pilot still can get him if they just try a bit. It's utterly moronic.

No matter what way you try to throw it, we can all clearly see that you just want easy kills. Well you aren't ruining EVE just so you can rub your epeen. Go play COD.

Please point to a post where Nikk, myself, or the Gunslinger have said PvP has to be mandatory for the PvE player?

Please point where we have said evasion is not a vialbe tactic (note a few pages back I argued expressly that evasion IS a viable tactic).

So, you can stop with this claim of "wanting easy kills". It simply is not true.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2851 - 2013-11-12 17:41:20 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
It's currently NOT guaranteed though, and you want it to be guaranteed, by enforcing a set of rules that make it impossible for a PVE player to win and makes it SUPER easy for a cloaked pilot to win.
And no, you want easy kills. Stop bullshitting.

Unbelievable...

Nikk: I want no guarantees at all--none for the PvE player, none for the PvP player.
Lucas: YOU LIAR!!!!!! You just want easy kills!!!! You want to ruin Eve!!!!!

Well played Lucas. Roll

But thanks for all the bumps!

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2852 - 2013-11-12 17:54:05 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Andy Landen wrote:
My proposal would be: A cloaky ship can fit either a cyno or a scram/disrupt/bubble, but not both. A two ship team would be a little more effective than the solo cloaky cyno, because the point would be on the speed tanked ship which is not forced to remain stationary for the duration of the cyno and can thus hold the point much easier; the cyno makes the ship which lights it an easy stationary target to kill.

While it has been noted that some players hide from flies and cloaky badgers in cyno jammed systems, if they continue to hide knowing that the badger cannot fit a cyno and a point at the same time, then so be it. Those who can counter a badger threat without cyno blob support will continue ops in the same system without so much as a second thought, and this who issue is resolved..

If a spool up timer is put on the cyno, I would suggest that it could be aborted at any moment without any delays for spooling up again and that the ship be free to move and warp out immediately after the spool up is aborted. Also, it should not appear on overview until it is actually lit.

If I can choose a fit that lets me make ISK, and still be able to avoid threats, I am overpowered.

I agree here with Nikk with a slight modification:

"If I can choose a fit that lets me make ISK, and still be able to avoid all threats, I am overpowered."

We have discussed, at length (about 50-70 pages back...Shocked) that when a PvE player "does it right" their chance of getting away is very, very high. Lucas has even claimed that the chance is 1--i.e. certainty of getting away in the right circumstances.

I argue that is OP. You should still be at risk even if you do "everything right". That risk may not be large, but it should not be trivial (i.e. zero).

Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2853 - 2013-11-12 18:37:14 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
2. You have heard far more people claim they want their game to remain easier.... REALLY?
And did you consider that it is at all unsurprising, that people seek the least effort to get their goals?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
You want cloakers to be the best ships in the game and kills to be gauranteed. Other people want to be able to have a nice mix of PVE and PVP as has always been the case so far.
Sorry bro, you're gonna need to have to get skill and actually fight for your kills rather than get handed them on a plate.

You want it to be like the ball pit at a childs' playground, where parents can call in their charges if it looks like rain.

Still wearing the sheep's clothes, but we all see the talk about wanting the easy kills. Love it.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein 

Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2854 - 2013-11-12 18:55:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Andy Landen
I see that you are more interested in the bumps, Teckos, than you are in a solution, but I still insist that we talk about real solutions.

A PVE player cannot do ops in a system where an unknown number of hostiles may cyno on top of him before he can get out. 20 mil ISK SB grabs 3 points and cyno without any targeting delay and 0 warning to the PVE BS group of 5 (1.5 bil ISK). Before they can target the SB, 20 SB (400 mil ISK) blue ball them. The group falls quickly as the dps rains down. In the best case, the original sb goes down after the blue ball grab multiple points on all 5 BS. They pop 1 BS every 5-10 s and the BS cannot track the SB. Losses are 1.5 bil PVE, 20 mil pvp with no chance of escape by the PVE players. In exchange for 30 minutes of ratting while the pvp group takes their time to ensure op success, the entire group makes 250 mil ISK thus putting them down by 1.25 bil. They will need a threat level of 0 for the next 3 hours just to break even, let alone actually generate usable ISK for pvp or other content areas.

There is no way to consider ratting as a smart move on the PVE side when there is a chance of a cloaky sb with no targeting delay and a cyno. Hiding local makes this worse, because it prevents the pve group from accurately assessing the risk. Cynos compound the problem by allowing a single threat to be equivalent to 20 threats or more.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein 

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2855 - 2013-11-12 18:58:29 UTC
Andy Landen wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Still wearing the sheep's clothes, but we all see the talk about wanting the easy kills. Love it.

And all of the threads about improving mining must be illusions too, then?

Every time you see a thread suggesting a mini-game, or other focus-centric device intended to encourage attention, it points out that the threat from PvP is not simply manageable, it is often non-existent.

Here I am, on the other hand, pointing out how it is possible to achieve two goals with one set of changes.

Sure, mining still needs more work than this, but at least it improves the experience in null.
Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2856 - 2013-11-12 19:05:27 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Andy Landen wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

And all of the threads about improving mining must be illusions too, then?

Every time you see a thread suggesting a mini-game, or other focus-centric device intended to encourage attention, it points out that the threat from PvP is not simply manageable, it is often non-existent.

Here I am, on the other hand, pointing out how it is possible to achieve two goals with one set of changes.

Sure, mining still needs more work than this, but at least it improves the experience in null.

The mini-game is a distraction from the pvp threat. It is to make it easier for you to catch them unaware. That's my theory, anyhow. If you really are an avid miner and you want an active pvp threat on your barge, I suggest that you move into some system deep in red territory where red's fly through or do ops a lot. That will likely give you all the challenge you could want, if you really thought having the challenge of increased pvp threat was a good idea, without bothering the rest of us with game-breaking proposals. Since you will not likely do that, there is a good chance that you really are just seeking easy pvp against distracted or blinded miners.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2857 - 2013-11-12 19:12:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Andy Landen wrote:
I see that you are more interested in the bumps, Teckos, than you are in a solution, but I still insist that we talk about real solutions.

A PVE player cannot do ops in a system where an unknown number of hostiles may cyno on top of him before he can get out. 20 mil ISK SB grabs 3 points and cyno without any targeting delay and 0 warning to the PVE BS group of 5 (1.5 bil ISK). Before they can target the SB, 20 SB (400 mil ISK) blue ball them. The group falls quickly as the dps rains down. In the best case, the original sb goes down after the blue ball grab multiple points on all 5 BS. They pop 1 BS every 5-10 s and the BS cannot track the SB. Losses are 1.5 bil PVE, 20 mil pvp with no chance of escape by the PVE players. In exchange for 30 minutes of ratting while the pvp group takes their time to ensure op success, the entire group makes 250 mil ISK thus putting them down by 1.25 bil. They will need a threat level of 0 for the next 3 hours just to break even, let alone actually generate usable ISK for pvp or other content areas.

There is no way to consider ratting as a smart move on the PVE side when there is a chance of a cloaky sb with no targeting delay and a cyno. Hiding local makes this worse, because it prevents the pve group from accurately assessing the risk. Cynos compound the problem by allowing a single threat to be equivalent to 20 threats or more.

Well if you proposed something other than solutions based on half-baked notions from the "Real World" we might get somewhere.

For example, with the interceptor changes coming with Rubicon and if we changed the jump/local mechanic so people did not show in local until their gate cloak drops that could be sufficient to introduce some risk and then possibly consider some changes to the cloaking mechanic.

But yours and Lucas' obstinate refusal to even accept that local/jump mechanic gives the pilot already in system an advantage is going to make any discussion at this point moot.

So I'll settle for bumps...from my own posts, Nikk's, yours and Luxas'. This thread is a surefire way of getting other repetitious threads on this topic locked sooner rather than later.

Edit: Oh and regarding your hot drop/SB fears....

There is nothing preventing a PvE player in a PvP fit ship from doing DPS. A few pages back there was a KM linked where a guy in a PvE tengu killed at least 2 of the SBs attacking him. Fit it for PvP and it might have killed even more. You keep removing the point I make that the ships should be PvP. You keep changing the conditions of my response then concluding what I wrote wont work...which is rather dishonest.*

Also you are assuming facts that support your contention without even the slightest consideration that the BLOPs guys may not have 20 guys. To you there are always more numbers available for the BLOPs when reality is it may or may not be true. The point here is that the more PvP fit ships doing PvE the higher the bar is for the BLOPs gang which means such a type of hot drop becomes less and less likely. Which makes me think you really do want zero risk.**

And you don't have to get in BS. If you suspect a SB hot drop get in something that can kill SBs (i.e. where tracking wont be as much of an issue). And try drones. Warrior IIs are fast enough 25 of them are going to be a serious problem for any SB. And with an omni tank it will likely take longer to kill each BS. And why does it have to be 5 BS? Couldn't you have a different fleet composition?

And why are these 5 pilots all so close 1 SB can get 3 points?

If you are going to PvE dumb, expect to die.

*BTW this dishonest makes serious discussion with you rather difficult.

**And lets keep in mind that when there is nobody else in the system you can min-max your fit and earn considerable isk with zero threat. It is only when there is a neutral present that risk deviates from zero.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2858 - 2013-11-12 19:19:38 UTC
Absolutes are simply targets waiting to be shot at.
Andy Landen wrote:

If you are serious, then you need to stop ignoring the obvious. You are afraid of changing local, I get that.
But if you want balanced change, you need to compromise on this.

As a miner, I don't want more risk, but I do want more reward. So I must accept more risk.
I don't have meaningful PvP at this time to relate, but I would LIKE to be able to harass my enemies mining ops.
I simply don't have the free time to waste on something so meaningless, as I know exactly how trivial such efforts are thanks to my mining experience.

Here's one of those absolutes, right at the top of this next section.

Andy Landen wrote:
1> A PVE player cannot do ops in a system where an unknown number of hostiles may cyno on top of him before he can get out. 20 mil ISK SB grabs 3 points and cyno without any targeting delay and 0 warning to the PVE BS group of 5 (1.5 bil ISK). Before they can target the SB, 20 SB (400 mil ISK) blue ball them. The group falls quickly as the dps rains down. In the best case, the original sb goes down after the blue ball grab multiple points on all 5 BS. They pop 1 BS every 5-10 s and the BS cannot track the SB. Losses are 1.5 bil PVE, 20 mil pvp with no chance of escape by the PVE players. In exchange for 30 minutes of ratting while the pvp group takes their time to ensure op success, the entire group makes 250 mil ISK thus putting them down by 1.25 bil. They will need a threat level of 0 for the next 3 hours just to break even, let alone actually generate usable ISK for pvp or other content areas.

1. Ok, unless this is an AFK player doing the PvE, he has his intel channels. That tells him ahead of time about potential new entries to their system.
The player does not need to simply roll over for a hostile, and evasion is only one of several options.
Since the concern is multiple players working together attacking through a cyno, then the solution is to fight fire with fire.
Work as a group, and PvE in numbers.

EVE would be a sorry MMO indeed if it blocked efforts by it's players working together. Larger group wins, is the basic blob mentality. That applies here, under the description: "unknown number of hostiles"

So, we have 20 players attacking 5 players. Let's not foolishly pretend they choose the SB's for financial reasons.
These were the only ships able to both penetrate system defenses, as well as take out the target, as you described it.
Add to this, they had the intel and preparation time to put this all together, unless you believe twenty players are standing by to attack whatever may show up in SBs...

Why would you block the efforts of 20 players, rather than have them be detected and hunted?
Why would 5 players not scan for cloaked vessels, and subsequently hunt them down first?

I don't recall any solution suggested that left PvE players helpless, but I can't fix stupid tactics.
If you have the tools to find hidden enemies, you are responsible for using them too.

Remember, better rewards are the reward for better efforts being needed.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2859 - 2013-11-12 19:58:43 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Local is clearly involved, which is why you have spent so much time arguing to keep local. You claim that it would ruin null sec if it were removed, yet here you are saying it conveys no advantage to the person already in system.

You are just not making any kind of coherent argument.
What?
I argue to keep local because without it there would be man problems, which yes, would ruin null.
How does that mean local is involved though?
I'm not arguing local because it's involved, I'm arguing about it because every time anyone mentions AFK cloakers you start ranting about local like a moron.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2860 - 2013-11-12 19:59:57 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Jacque Custeau wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

If you isolate a cyno from a cloak, you make the cyno something that can be removed effectively.
With the removal of the cyno, also goes the risk. You know for certain that any single presence in your local chat, that you cannot find, is also something that cannot effectively threaten.

Maybe you'll even chat with them.

Yet as things are now, a single player in local, cloaked and afk, perhaps sleeping or perhaps at work, is threatening everyone, all the while remaining perfectly safe. Safer than the dude PVE'ing will ever be. Its PVP without being at your keyboard. No one in space should have perfect safety. PVE'rs don;t, afk cloakers do.

And you are perfectly safe too. He is not at his keyboard and he is cloaked. The latter means he can't target you, activate any modules, etc.

Now, once he decloaks then you are vulnerable...and so is he, and oh looky, he is not AFK anymore either.

Basically, you want to be safe from people who pose no harm to you. What you really want is reduced uncertainty and risk...in null. Basically lawless space except for whatever law the players in that space see fit to hand out.
Ah this old gem. I'm just going to say - go back and read several hundred posts in this thread explaining why this is a heavily flawed argument - then I'll leave it at that.