These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

AFK Cloaking Collection Thread

First post First post
Author
Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2821 - 2013-11-12 07:04:50 UTC
Astroniomix wrote:
Andy Landen wrote:

To Astro, only the Archon can survive a DD and only if it sacrifices its cap so that its RR is trivial; and it will be into structure after the first DD. And that is only if you know in advance which Titan/damage type will hit you.

Confirming that fleet carriers never refit mid fight ever.

I have some epic video recommendations for you to watch. Ever heard of Rooks and Kings?

Back to topic, I am fairly surprised how resistant Nik and Teckos are to dropping the local issue in the afk cloaky thread despite strong evidence that the only issue that they can point to lies squarely on the delay of jumping through gates, etc. and loading grid. I can honestly only imagine a handful of people who would think that any changes to local would resolve the afk cloaky issue. The rest of Eve would be in an uproar and flat out rebellion.

Can I please get more people to confirm that without a cloaky being able to fit a cyno, that it would not be much of an issue for players to organize enough to be able to manage against a solo cloaky ship? Fik the cyno, and you fix the afk cloaky issue. At the very least, prevent both the cyno and cloak from being fit at the same time, and this issue is practically history. So I must ask, Is the OP rejecting such effective solutions merely to keep the thread going and to keep new afk cloaky threads from appearing by keeping this thread near the top? Let's be honest about this.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein 

Astroniomix
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#2822 - 2013-11-12 07:35:48 UTC
Andy Landen wrote:

Can I please get more people to confirm that without a cloaky being able to fit a cyno, that it would not be much of an issue for players to organize enough to be able to manage against a solo cloaky ship? Fik the cyno, and you fix the afk cloaky issue. At the very least, prevent both the cyno and cloak from being fit at the same time, and this issue is practically history. So I must ask, Is the OP rejecting such effective solutions merely to keep the thread going and to keep new afk cloaky threads from appearing by keeping this thread near the top? Let's be honest about this.

Even without the risk of a cyno people would still hide from a cloaked battlebadger because people are stupid.

If you don't believe me then go get something with a cloak and park in a system that has a functioning cyno jammer, people will STILL hide from you even if your ship cannot mount a covops cyno.

Also the day you come up with a good idea is the day my fiance comes back from the dead.
Barbaydos
Kraken Exploration and Janitorial Services
The Initiative.
#2823 - 2013-11-12 07:41:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Barbaydos
Andy Landen wrote:
Astroniomix wrote:
Andy Landen wrote:

To Astro, only the Archon can survive a DD and only if it sacrifices its cap so that its RR is trivial; and it will be into structure after the first DD. And that is only if you know in advance which Titan/damage type will hit you.

I have some epic video recommendations for you to watch. Ever heard of Rooks and Kings?

Back to topic, I am fairly surprised how resistant Nik and Teckos are to dropping the local issue in the afk cloaky thread despite strong evidence that the only issue that they can point to lies squarely on the delay of jumping through gates, etc. and loading grid. I can honestly only imagine a handful of people who would think that any changes to local would resolve the afk cloaky issue. The rest of Eve would be in an uproar and flat out rebellion.

yes removing the ability of the cloaky ship to fit a cyno would effectively stop afk-cloaking. it would also stop hot-dropping and blops-dropping (or at the very least make it harder since you would have to rely on ships that are not cloaky and therfore easy to see coming and easier to catch, that being said the bait cyno-myrm is quite funny to see in action). you would also be making it harder for people with capitals or supers to move around eve for similar reasons.

maybe removing the ability to fit a cyno would be a bit overpowering and advantageous to the defender, unless everyone starts using two ships as you have suggested. perhaps a targeting delay for all covert ops ships similar to that of the covert ops recons or even better a delay to the lighting of the cyno after decloaking, say 1 minute or so. this way you can still be camping in a hostile system but the defender has an ability to react to your presence after you reveal yourself.

(feel free to knock me about the head if this has already been suggested, tried reading through the other 141 pages and my mind melted around page 35)
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2824 - 2013-11-12 08:17:49 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Reasonable: The ability to place destructible infrastructure that notifies a channel when a gate has been activated. It could go so far as to cross reference friendly transponder tags, and disregard activations by friendly pilots.
Unreasonable: Identifying any pilot to a hostile force while still under a gate cloak effect, or while in transit resulting in the gate cloak effect..
Opinion.

I find it unreasonable to think that when you own an entire system, the gates would not scan and report on any vessel passing through it. In fact come to think of it, perhaps on top of their name, it should also be reporting on shiptype, as these are both easily obtained from the overview, so why would it be difficult for the gates to scan this too?

So CCP: Please add shiptype to local.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#2825 - 2013-11-12 12:15:33 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:

So CCP: Please add shiptype to local.

And while we're at it, link the character name to the appropriate facebook account. Roll

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2826 - 2013-11-12 14:31:51 UTC
Andy Landen wrote:
Back to topic, I am fairly surprised how resistant Nik and Teckos are to dropping the local issue in the afk cloaky thread despite strong evidence that the only issue that they can point to lies squarely on the delay of jumping through gates, etc. and loading grid.

You are either kidding, or deliberately avoiding seeing the simple truth.

NO scanning method exists, that can see a player not even present in the system yet. Local chat does this, however, by listing the pilot's name and standings. Referring to a delay at all, without the context that it is being compared to being first listed in local, is absurd.

The undisputed fact, that this gives free bonus time to a defending player, is obvious.
Every moment between when that pilot's name appears, and the first action they are able to take upon loading the system, is a free gift to every local player in that system.
They did not earn this ability, but when combined with safety structures only a blob can threaten, they suddenly have the ability to chose whether they engage in PvP, while being able to delay this choice in order to make ISK.
To put another way, it is obvious that a pilot behind POS shields or docked cannot be directly threatened. This delay gives them the ability to transfer into that posture before any threat to them can manifest.

Andy Landen wrote:
I can honestly only imagine a handful of people who would think that any changes to local would resolve the afk cloaky issue. The rest of Eve would be in an uproar and flat out rebellion.

That is a highly biased opinion, and is not supported by any meaningful facts.

A proper change, (to local), could be equally said to be something the rest of EVE has been wanting from the start.
Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2827 - 2013-11-12 14:31:54 UTC
Barbaydos wrote:
Andy Landen wrote:
Astroniomix wrote:
Andy Landen wrote:

yes removing the ability of the cloaky ship to fit a cyno would effectively stop afk-cloaking. it would also stop hot-dropping and blops-dropping (or at the very least make it harder since you would have to rely on ships that are not cloaky and therfore easy to see coming and easier to catch, that being said the bait cyno-myrm is quite funny to see in action). you would also be making it harder for people with capitals or supers to move around eve for similar reasons.

maybe removing the ability to fit a cyno would be a bit overpowering and advantageous to the defender, unless everyone starts using two ships as you have suggested. perhaps a targeting delay for all covert ops ships similar to that of the covert ops recons or even better a delay to the lighting of the cyno after decloaking, say 1 minute or so. this way you can still be camping in a hostile system but the defender has an ability to react to your presence after you reveal yourself.

(feel free to knock me about the head if this has already been suggested, tried reading through the other 141 pages and my mind melted around page 35)

My proposal would be: A cloaky ship can fit either a cyno or a scram/disrupt/bubble, but not both. A two ship team would be a little more effective than the solo cloaky cyno, because the point would be on the speed tanked ship which is not forced to remain stationary for the duration of the cyno and can thus hold the point much easier; the cyno makes the ship which lights it an easy stationary target to kill.

While it has been noted that some players hide from flies and cloaky badgers in cyno jammed systems, if they continue to hide knowing that the badger cannot fit a cyno and a point at the same time, then so be it. Those who can counter a badger threat without cyno blob support will continue ops in the same system without so much as a second thought, and this who issue is resolved..

If a spool up timer is put on the cyno, I would suggest that it could be aborted at any moment without any delays for spooling up again and that the ship be free to move and warp out immediately after the spool up is aborted. Also, it should not appear on overview until it is actually lit.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein 

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2828 - 2013-11-12 14:43:36 UTC
Andy Landen wrote:
My proposal would be: A cloaky ship can fit either a cyno or a scram/disrupt/bubble, but not both. A two ship team would be a little more effective than the solo cloaky cyno, because the point would be on the speed tanked ship which is not forced to remain stationary for the duration of the cyno and can thus hold the point much easier; the cyno makes the ship which lights it an easy stationary target to kill.

While it has been noted that some players hide from flies and cloaky badgers in cyno jammed systems, if they continue to hide knowing that the badger cannot fit a cyno and a point at the same time, then so be it. Those who can counter a badger threat without cyno blob support will continue ops in the same system without so much as a second thought, and this who issue is resolved..

If a spool up timer is put on the cyno, I would suggest that it could be aborted at any moment without any delays for spooling up again and that the ship be free to move and warp out immediately after the spool up is aborted. Also, it should not appear on overview until it is actually lit.

If I can choose a fit that lets me make ISK, and still be able to avoid threats, I am overpowered.

I am no longer playing against other players.
I am then playing against a timer, and it is defined by what is both cost effective and capable of reaching me. I don't need to worry about a super dropping on a frigate, or any situation where it would take a ship valued at 10x or more in ISK value to threaten me.

If you isolate a cyno from a cloak, you make the cyno something that can be removed effectively.
With the removal of the cyno, also goes the risk. You know for certain that any single presence in your local chat, that you cannot find, is also something that cannot effectively threaten.

Maybe you'll even chat with them.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2829 - 2013-11-12 15:27:29 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
If I can choose a fit that lets me make ISK, and still be able to avoid threats, I am overpowered.
That is ********. Any non-PVP activity can be played using the right actions and right fit to avoid all hostility, and the only reason PVP is not the same is because you are actively searching for PVP. Basically what you are saying here is "All PVE is overpowered, because I can't gank helpless ships". That's got to be among the stupidest things I've ever read on this forum.

And all this and you are still whining about a half second delay caused by gate mechanics, NOT caused by local, which PVP pilots ALSO get if they are on the other side of it. Why don;t you just learn to play EVE, and quit your crying. CCP will not change local to some ******** unbalanced system that makes cloakers uber. So get over it.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2830 - 2013-11-12 15:29:37 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:

A proper change, (to local), could be equally said to be something the rest of EVE has been wanting from the start.
And this isn't highly biased opinion?
I've seen far far FAR more people against the nuking of local than for it, and I've been about for 8 and a half years.

Jacque Custeau
Knights of the Minmatar Republic
#2831 - 2013-11-12 15:34:51 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:

If you isolate a cyno from a cloak, you make the cyno something that can be removed effectively.
With the removal of the cyno, also goes the risk. You know for certain that any single presence in your local chat, that you cannot find, is also something that cannot effectively threaten.

Yet as things are now, a single player in local, cloaked and afk, perhaps sleeping or perhaps at work, is threatening everyone, all the while remaining perfectly safe. Safer than the dude PVE'ing will ever be. Its PVP without being at your keyboard. No one in space should have perfect safety. PVE'rs don;t, afk cloakers do.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2832 - 2013-11-12 15:41:23 UTC
Jacque Custeau wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

Yet as things are now, a single player in local, cloaked and afk, perhaps sleeping or perhaps at work, is threatening everyone, all the while remaining perfectly safe. Safer than the dude PVE'ing will ever be. Its PVP without being at your keyboard. No one in space should have perfect safety. PVE'rs don;t, afk cloakers do.

And yet, this threat has no direct value to the player who is cloaked.

Outside of a few sad instances where players have paid off someone to leave, this cloaked player is not making ISK at all as a result of his cloaking.

The PvE players can either be perfectly safe, but make no ISK, or accept an uncertain amount of risk in order to make ISK mining or ratting, etc.

Perhaps if these PvE players also fit cloaks, for such portable security you described, they could be equally safe.

Problem solved.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2833 - 2013-11-12 15:44:47 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
That is ********. Any non-PVP activity can be played using the right actions and right fit to avoid all hostility, and the only reason PVP is not the same is because you are actively searching for PVP. Basically what you are saying here is "All PVE is overpowered, because I can't gank helpless ships". That's got to be among the stupidest things I've ever read on this forum.

And all this and you are still whining about a half second delay caused by gate mechanics, NOT caused by local, which PVP pilots ALSO get if they are on the other side of it. Why don;t you just learn to play EVE, and quit your crying. CCP will not change local to some ******** unbalanced system that makes cloakers uber. So get over it.

All you did here was protest and cry about how I must be seeking helpless victims.

You are simply championing consensual PvP as the only form of appropriate PvP, but extending that players hould be able to make ISK without risk.

Following your logic, we should be playing farmville, not this dangerous game of spaceships. We just alternate it with a turn based strategy game, so we can determine if system ownership changes.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2834 - 2013-11-12 15:47:22 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:

Outside of a few sad instances where players have paid off someone to leave, this cloaked player is not making ISK at all as a result of his cloaking.

The PvE players can either be perfectly safe, but make no ISK, or accept an uncertain amount of risk in order to make ISK mining or ratting, etc.

Perhaps if these PvE players also fit cloaks, for such portable security you described, they could be equally safe.

Problem solved.
You miss the key issue here.
The PVP player's goal is not to make isk. The PVP player is not unable to make isk, they are choosing not to. And as it is now, the PVE players do accept that there is an inherent risk, but deal with that by fitting well and playing correctly.
You want no amount of skill to protect a PVE player, while making PVP players able to evade considerably easier. Sounds like a great way to kill EVE.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2835 - 2013-11-12 15:50:20 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

And this isn't highly biased opinion?
I've seen far far FAR more people against the nuking of local than for it, and I've been about for 8 and a half years.

1. Of course it is an opinion, why else would I include that it was equal to the previous statement I compared it to?
You should give yourself more time to consider your words, your passion betrays you.

2. You have heard far more people claim they want their game to remain easier.... REALLY?
And did you consider that it is at all unsurprising, that people seek the least effort to get their goals?
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2836 - 2013-11-12 15:51:04 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

All you did here was protest and cry about how I must be seeking helpless victims.

You are simply championing consensual PvP as the only form of appropriate PvP, but extending that players hould be able to make ISK without risk.

Following your logic, we should be playing farmville, not this dangerous game of spaceships. We just alternate it with a turn based strategy game, so we can determine if system ownership changes.
No, at no point have I said all PVP has to be consensual. You just want all PVP to be mandatory. If you want to get a kill, that PVE player HAS to fight. that's what you want.

I'm championing the idea that a ship built to evade CAN EVADE if he remains in an environment he can control. You want it to be that no matter how well a PVE pilot plays, and no matter how well he fits and no matter how much he knows, the PVP pilot still can get him if they just try a bit. It's utterly moronic.

No matter what way you try to throw it, we can all clearly see that you just want easy kills. Well you aren't ruining EVE just so you can rub your epeen. Go play COD.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2837 - 2013-11-12 15:53:40 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
2. You have heard far more people claim they want their game to remain easier.... REALLY?
And did you consider that it is at all unsurprising, that people seek the least effort to get their goals?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
You want cloakers to be the best ships in the game and kills to be gauranteed. Other people want to be able to have a nice mix of PVE and PVP as has always been the case so far.
Sorry bro, you're gonna need to have to get skill and actually fight for your kills rather than get handed them on a plate.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2838 - 2013-11-12 15:54:45 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

Problem solved.
You miss the key issue here.
The PVP player's goal is not to make isk. The PVP player is not unable to make isk, they are choosing not to. And as it is now, the PVE players do accept that there is an inherent risk, but deal with that by fitting well and playing correctly.
You want no amount of skill to protect a PVE player, while making PVP players able to evade considerably easier. Sounds like a great way to kill EVE.

An extreme argument falls the moment it is revealed as such.

I want the player who makes the most effort to win. I do not care if he is PvE, or PvP.
You can't say someone is truly playing against someone else, if both sides do not have an equal chance to win.

Why should we reward players who make less effort with greater rewards?
I would expect your successes do not owe themselves to such handouts, but instead to the efforts you made.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2839 - 2013-11-12 15:56:44 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
You want cloakers to be the best ships in the game and kills to be gauranteed. Other people want to be able to have a nice mix of PVE and PVP as has always been the case so far.
Sorry bro, you're gonna need to have to get skill and actually fight for your kills rather than get handed them on a plate.

Sorry, I never claimed that.

I claimed I wanted mining to be more challenging, not pointless or impossible.
You want it to be like the ball pit at a childs' playground, where parents can call in their charges if it looks like rain.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2840 - 2013-11-12 16:06:55 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
An extreme argument falls the moment it is revealed as such.

I want the player who makes the most effort to win. I do not care if he is PvE, or PvP.
You can't say someone is truly playing against someone else, if both sides do not have an equal chance to win.

Why should we reward players who make less effort with greater rewards?
I would expect your successes do not owe themselves to such handouts, but instead to the efforts you made.
How many times do we have to cover this?
Firstly, effort cannot be measured, thus you can't simply say "oh, lets reward the most effort". A PVE players is likely to have considered a lot in his strategy to ensure escape is an option.

Secondly, your solution doesn't reward effort. It rewards cloakers. Plain and simple. A cloaked pilot would be considerably more effective at solo hunting than a non cloaked pilot. Would you really consider the fitting of a cloak module to constitute effort? I certainly wouldn't.

Thirdly, if you did reward effort in that way, meaning that if a PVP player tried hard enough, he would guarantee a kill, that would be refined and would simply become THE method of fighting against a PVE pilot, thus ensuring the guarantee of death against the PVE pilot. There are not enough random elements in EVE to make that not the case.