These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

AFK Cloaking Collection Thread

First post First post
Author
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2761 - 2013-11-08 16:52:26 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
You want to ruin nullsec....

Alright, enough of this. This is a lie. I live in null. I like null. I'd rather be there than empire. I like this game (guess I'm not a bitter vet yet). I've spent lots of money on it for my subscription. So why would I want to "ruin null".

So the above statement is just simply a complete and utter lie.
Well it's not. You support an idea that would literally cripple nullsec.

It is a ****** lie. I don't want to ruin null, I think my idea will improve it. I might be wrong, but that does not mean I WANT to ruin it.

See the difference?

So, now the question is why are you persisting on lying about my intentions? Why are you using a ****** and underhanded debating technique?
But you've been told you are wrong, we've explained why you are wrong and you have still been unable to plug the crippling holes in the idea that would ruin null. Since that's clearly laid out in front of you, and you still choose to pursue it, then you want to ruin null.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2762 - 2013-11-08 16:53:24 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Everyone gets that.

Wrong. And this has been demonstrated as fact.

Resident using local (for free) sees the hostile enter system before the hostile even loads grid.

Hostile entering system sees neutral, but is waiting for the jump gate tunnel effect to finish, load grid, and...the neutral is on his way to a safe tower.

Not the same, everyone does not get the same benefit.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2763 - 2013-11-08 16:58:07 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
You want to ruin nullsec....

Alright, enough of this. This is a lie. I live in null. I like null. I'd rather be there than empire. I like this game (guess I'm not a bitter vet yet). I've spent lots of money on it for my subscription. So why would I want to "ruin null".

It is a ****** lie. I don't want to ruin null, I think my idea will improve it. I might be wrong, but that does not mean I WANT to ruin it.

See the difference?

So, now the question is why are you persisting on lying about my intentions? Why are you using a ****** and underhanded debating technique?
But you've been told you are wrong, we've explained why you are wrong and you have still been unable to plug the crippling holes in the idea that would ruin null. Since that's clearly laid out in front of you, and you still choose to pursue it, then you want to ruin null.

I think your arguments are facile and simplistic. For example, hiding a 2,000 man fleet in a station to try and get an advantage even though staying docked puts you at a disadvantage.

Instead of shoring up your arguments or trying a new approach you resort to questioning my motives. It is a poor form of arguing a point that strongly suggests you are out of ammunition--i.e. you can't support your position.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2764 - 2013-11-08 17:05:35 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Everyone gets that.

Resident using local (for free) sees the hostile enter system before the hostile even loads grid.

Hostile entering system sees neutral, but is waiting for the jump gate tunnel effect to finish, load grid, and...the neutral is on his way to a safe tower.

Bull. You see the new local before you even finish the tunnel, so both sides see local at about the same time. It's not local that means you can't stop warping, that's gate mechanics for you. Not to mention that if you are on the other side of the gate, and I as a PvE player come through, I encounter the EXACT SAME THING.

So yes, all players get the same benefit. All players on the receiving end of the gate see local a fraction of a second before the person entering local can warp, but has still seen you on local. This is the same regardless of which side is a PvP player.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2765 - 2013-11-08 17:13:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucas Kell
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:

See the difference?

I think your arguments are facile and simplistic. For example, hiding a 2,000 man fleet in a station to try and get an advantage even though staying docked puts you at a disadvantage.

Instead of shoring up your arguments or trying a new approach you resort to questioning my motives. It is a poor form of arguing a point that strongly suggests you are out of ammunition--i.e. you can't support your position.
I don't need to shore up my arguments, they are sound. Under your plans the defender would get an intel advantage. You and Nikk have both responded in the same way to this which is essentially "naaah, people will adapt". Yet you can't adapt to a half second of someone being able to warp before you. You're both full of ****, and can't back up your ideas with realistic answers to several concerns raised across this thread and Nikk's by both myself and others. Any time you are confronted you bury people in ad hominems and repetitive nonsense. You essentially flood people with inane drivel until they stop bothering to respond then you dance around victorious.

I think I've heard you repeat the "waah it's free" argument about a thousand times, but have yet to be given a coherent strategy for how this idea would actually balance.
For example, with combat covert ops battlecruisers being implemented, how would you improve the benefits of using a non-covops ship in intel free systems, so those covops ships would not be overpowered and ultimately the goto ships?
There. A Nice simple one for you.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2766 - 2013-11-08 17:22:43 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
See, this is disingenuous.

There is a highly significant difference between making a mistake, and being beaten by a better effort.

To illustrate:
Mistake: Using a ship you cannot afford to lose, or in a way likely to cause loss.
You use a ratting ship, but don't have good enough intel to warn you, and you don't take any precautions to compensate.
If you learn from your mistakes, you can improve.

Beaten by superior effort: Taking precautions and preparing, so that the chances of loss are in your favor, but someone else made a better effort against you.
You use a T1 hauler, with a scout, and cross several systems carrying cargo. At one gate, the opponent notes the two names in local, or is cloaked and sees the two ships gate away. Noting the gap, he logs in a hictor on the other side of a pipeline gate as soon as he sees the scout leave system one. Thanks to timing, the hictor arrives on gate just as the hauler was loading the system at the same gate. The scout is too late to react with warning, as this was timed to avoid them.
Bubble goes up, hauler gets popped.
Again, while not a mistake, you can TRY to learn from experiences, and weigh the cost of even higher effort, against the likelihood of this happening again.

The first is practically a handout to the hunter finding the ship so unprepared.
The second reflects both non consensual PvP, as well as good gameplay.

1> Except any time you are beaten by "superior effort" is because you made a mistake. Your example there it's using a T1 hauler. Using a T1 hauler in null is a mistake.

2> If it were possible for "Superior Effort" to win out, even if the opponent made no mistakes, then people would work out the best way that guarantees a win, and always do that.

3> You have to realise that EVE is more like tic-tac-toe. If either side makes a mistake, they lose, but if bots sides play perfectly, the outcome is always a draw. In the case of null PVE, that means the PVP player doesn't get the kill, but the PVE player doesn't get to continue their play uninterrupted. Neither side loses, but neither side wins. Tipping it so a win can be guaranteed by trying hard enough, no matter how well prepared the other side was would totally break the game.

1. No. I will clarify this for you, since you wish to debate details.
A mistake is something that gives OVER a 50% chance of ship loss. A hostile does not need to make a superior effort to catch such a ship, only an average effort that should not have succeeded otherwise.
How do we define this chance, percentage wise? That is specific to your area. You need to customize your efforts to have better than a 50% chance to beat previous known efforts by hostiles.
With so many undefinable aspects to EVE, this comes down to putting yourself into the hostile's perspective, and anticipating their tactics to the best of your abilities.

As to a T1 hauler in null being a mistake, (unless you are hauling below 10k m3), this ship is the most cost effective option in most cases, and fitted properly gives a manageable risk profile. For enough cargo to justify more than a few trips, you probably want to consider something capable of jumping, which also should require help from others to properly manage.

2. No. Quite simply the game is more complex than you imply. Tic-Tac-Toe assumes enough details to be a bad analogy.
The first assumption is that you will encounter an opponent evenly matched to stalemate your efforts, and not have the results decided by degree of mismatch between the two sides.
Do you fit for speed and or stealth? This often beats brute force defenses.
Do you plan for ambushes, and try using scouts? This usually requires an opponent to bypass the scout.
Do you plan for raw power, and use a convoy? This normally beats any force of lesser raw power, but is more demanding of group effort as well.
There is no single best plan that always wins, as a counter exists to each of these.
And this is just for moving supplies and materials.

3. It is only a draw if both sides refuse to commit to risk. Tic-Tac-Toe has limitations often forcing this result.
As with any scale of responsibility, the side with more options also bears more responsibility for this, as they must reject more choices in favor of risk avoidance.
The ease by which both sides know when to avoid risk often fosters such mutual caution.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2767 - 2013-11-08 17:32:46 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
I think I've heard you repeat the "waah it's free" argument about a thousand times, but have yet to be given a coherent strategy for how this idea would actually balance.
For example, with combat covert ops battlecruisers being implemented, how would you improve the benefits of using a non-covops ship in intel free systems, so those covops ships would not be overpowered and ultimately the goto ships?

Combat covert ops battlecruisers.... is this a reference to the SoE cruiser "Stratios"?

And who said anything about intel free? Myself and others simply want to dump the free, not the intel.

If you have unlimited ISK, you can buy any ship you like. You also have no reason to PvE for ISK, since you have unlimited.
If you have a budget, then you pick the ship which is cost effective, you can afford to lose, and get's the job done well enough to net a profit when the numbers get added.

The SoE ships will never be the cost effective goto ships, but they might displace the T3 cruisers in a few areas due to overlap.
Were we considering the places where people used T3s heavily?
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2768 - 2013-11-08 17:35:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucas Kell
Nikk Narrel wrote:
1. No. I will clarify this for you, since you wish to debate details.
A mistake is something that gives OVER a 50% chance of ship loss. A hostile does not need to make a superior effort to catch such a ship, only an average effort that should not have succeeded otherwise.
How do we define this chance, percentage wise? That is specific to your area. You need to customize your efforts to have better than a 50% chance to beat previous known efforts by hostiles.
With so many undefinable aspects to EVE, this comes down to putting yourself into the hostile's perspective, and anticipating their tactics to the best of your abilities.

As to a T1 hauler in null being a mistake, (unless you are hauling below 10k m3), this ship is the most cost effective option in most cases, and fitted properly gives a manageable risk profile. For enough cargo to justify more than a few trips, you probably want to consider something capable of jumping, which also should require help from others to properly manage.
Great start with the arbitrarily chosen 50% and lead of into babbling nonsense to finish it up. Beautiful stuff. As for the T1, it's definitely a bad choice. I'll even quote you here: "Using a ship you cannot afford to lose, or in a way likely to cause loss.". You see flying a T1 hauler through nullsec would definitely be considered flying in a way likely to cause loss. That's why blockade runners were made. Blockade runners are impossible to catch when flown properly and with a scout.

Nikk Narrel wrote:
2. No. Quite simply the game is more complex than you imply. Tic-Tac-Toe assumes enough details to be a bad analogy.
The first assumption is that you will encounter an opponent evenly matched to stalemate your efforts, and not have the results decided by degree of mismatch between the two sides.
Do you fit for speed and or stealth? This often beats brute force defenses.
Do you plan for ambushes, and try using scouts? This usually requires an opponent to bypass the scout.
Do you plan for raw power, and use a convoy? This normally beats any force of lesser raw power, but is more demanding of group effort as well.
There is no single best plan that always wins, as a counter exists to each of these.
And this is just for moving supplies and materials.

3. It is only a draw if both sides refuse to commit to risk. Tic-Tac-Toe has limitations often forcing this result.
As with any scale of responsibility, the side with more options also bears more responsibility for this, as they must reject more choices in favor of risk avoidance.
The ease by which both sides know when to avoid risk often fosters such mutual caution.
Sure, the game is more complex than tic-tac-toe, but the outcomes fit. In a one on one if both side act perfectly, nobody wins (since if one side would lose, the correct choice is don;t engage). There are simply not enough random elements in EVE to create any situation except one like this.
I don't really have enough time to go into massive detail right now as I have to drive home :D

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2769 - 2013-11-08 17:37:08 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Everyone gets that.

Bull. You see the new local before you even finish the tunnel, so both sides see local at about the same time. It's not local that means you can't stop warping, that's gate mechanics for you. Not to mention that if you are on the other side of the gate, and I as a PvE player come through, I encounter the EXACT SAME THING.

So yes, all players get the same benefit. All players on the receiving end of the gate see local a fraction of a second before the person entering local can warp, but has still seen you on local. This is the same regardless of which side is a PvP player.

Let's assume for a moment that you can SEE the new local, as you claim, before you even finish the tunnel.

It means very little to the point, that you cannot DO anything yet. Tunnel ends, you have gate cloak up, and your potential target has very likely entered warp, since they also saw you while you were still back in that warp tunnel.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2770 - 2013-11-08 17:47:43 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Great start with the arbitrarily chosen 50% and lead of into babbling nonsense to finish it up. Beautiful stuff. As for the T1, it's definitely a bad choice. I'll even quote you here: "Using a ship you cannot afford to lose, or in a way likely to cause loss.". You see flying a T1 hauler through nullsec would definitely be considered flying in a way likely to cause loss. That's why blockade runners were made. Blockade runners are impossible to catch when flown properly and with a scout.

Even the example I gave, a blockade runner would not survive, let alone where it had been scouted by an opponent able to use more discretion in their choices.

Blockade runners do not have the nullifier subsystem, so the hictor would still catch it.

Unless your scout was some ship able to beat down the hictor fast enough, that hauling ship is still toast.
If your scout was something that brute force oriented, why would you assume an ambush that well thought out would engage without compensating for it?
(You know they had to have eyes on target well enough to ID the second ship as a hauler already, the first ship being PvP capable would not surprise them)

Bockade runner is now lost, as is the cargo, and the ISK value of the total loss is a lot higher too.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2771 - 2013-11-08 18:32:11 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Bull. You see the new local before you even finish the tunnel, so both sides see local at about the same time.

You are wrong again.

Sure i see it, but I can't act on it. I have to wait for the client.

The resident on the other hand can act on it.

Advantage: resident.

You are quite simply flat out wrong. Wrong on the facts, wrong on your interpretation, wrong on your conclusions.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2772 - 2013-11-08 18:37:34 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
I don't need to shore up my arguments, they are sound. Under your plans the defender would get an intel advantage.

In your opinion your arguments are sound.

Such as staying docked, use hictors at the undock to hold down the fleet as they undock. Start anchoring bubbles. Remaining docked has a clear disadvantage.

That argument needs work, IMO.

Yes, but an advantage that can be taken away since intel infrastructure is no longer beyond the players reach.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2773 - 2013-11-08 19:19:15 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

Except that's the same in ALL types of play.

Sure, but with things like PvP there are added dimensions like fittings that can make a huge difference. Did he fit a scram or a disruptor, is my opponent close or long range, is he bait or solo, etc.?

Those considerations are almost entirely absent from the PvE guys point of view. He fits a rat specific tank, he fits the best type of weapons for the ship, and watches local, stays aligned and buggers off at the first sign of hostiles. In other words, PvE is far, far simpler.
Shockingly, PvE is PvE focused...
You need to pick your fittings for the activity you are undertaking, so sure PvP players have to put more effort into their PvP side that PvE players have to put into their PvP side. But PvE players also have to put in effort on their PvE side. Conversely PvP players have to put no effort into a PvE side. It's not simpler, it's just different.

Why should a PvE player have to put in full effort into PvE, but then on top, put another set of full effort into PvP just to not get shot by a ganker, while a PvP player gets to focus on just what they want to do?

Why should they get something for free that gives them an advantage?
Everyone gets that. Everyone can use it, for free. It's not an advantage since everyone gets it's benefit.

I don't get it during a roam. So you are gain flat out wrong. If it worked exactly the same for both the PvE pilot and the PvP pilot, then I'd be fine leaving in local...of course you'd still have AFK camping, but I can live with that too.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2774 - 2013-11-08 19:21:45 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

Combat covert ops battlecruisers.... is this a reference to the SoE cruiser "Stratios"?

And who said anything about intel free? Myself and others simply want to dump the free, not the intel.

If you have unlimited ISK, you can buy any ship you like. You also have no reason to PvE for ISK, since you have unlimited.
If you have a budget, then you pick the ship which is cost effective, you can afford to lose, and get's the job done well enough to net a profit when the numbers get added.

The SoE ships will never be the cost effective goto ships, but they might displace the T3 cruisers in a few areas due to overlap.
Were we considering the places where people used T3s heavily?

Not only that, but I am pretty confindent those ships will get hit again by the nerf bat.

Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2775 - 2013-11-08 22:36:28 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Andy Landen wrote:

And to Teckos, I do not change my position on cynos, hotdrops, etc.. They are OP, but I can manage them well enough through evasive practices. Evasion does not create balance. It just allows OP mechanics to not ruin the game. Mark these words: True balance is found when evasion is neither needed or desired!

And if you can manage them (cynos/hot drops)...they are by definition not OP. OP is something for which there is not a reasonable response. Example tracking titans. There was pretty much no reasonable response there other than to bring even more tracking titans. That is not balanced, that is unbalanced. Hence the nerf.

I love it when people use lots of words to say that they agree. .. except on the evasion, I'll grant that.

I'll put it like this: Titans one shot carriers. IMHO, that is OP. So I do not allow my carrier to be in a position where it could be 1 shotted by a Titan. Does that avoidance mean that my management of the risk negates the Titan being OP? Not at all. It just means that I won't let OP ships take advantage of me. Risk mitigation does not lend a blanket endorse against something being OP. The fact that I decided to evade means that there may be something OP about the other ship/mechanic. If there was an effective way to fight it, I wouldn't choose to evade. So we can say that the cloaky cyno forces the evasion behavior. If there were no cyno, I promise you that I would always be prepared to fight the hostile. I hope that makes sense and clarifies what I am saying well enough.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein 

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2776 - 2013-11-08 23:25:58 UTC
Andy Landen wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Andy Landen wrote:

And to Teckos, I do not change my position on cynos, hotdrops, etc.. They are OP, but I can manage them well enough through evasive practices. Evasion does not create balance. It just allows OP mechanics to not ruin the game. Mark these words: True balance is found when evasion is neither needed or desired!

And if you can manage them (cynos/hot drops)...they are by definition not OP. OP is something for which there is not a reasonable response. Example tracking titans. There was pretty much no reasonable response there other than to bring even more tracking titans. That is not balanced, that is unbalanced. Hence the nerf.

I love it when people use lots of words to say that they agree. .. except on the evasion, I'll grant that.

I'll put it like this: Titans one shot carriers. IMHO, that is OP. So I do not allow my carrier to be in a position where it could be 1 shotted by a Titan. Does that avoidance mean that my management of the risk negates the Titan being OP? Not at all. It just means that I won't let OP ships take advantage of me. Risk mitigation does not lend a blanket endorse against something being OP. The fact that I decided to evade means that there may be something OP about the other ship/mechanic. If there was an effective way to fight it, I wouldn't choose to evade. So we can say that the cloaky cyno forces the evasion behavior. If there were no cyno, I promise you that I would always be prepared to fight the hostile. I hope that makes sense and clarifies what I am saying well enough.

There is an effective way to fight...bring more people. No, this isn't an argument for blobbing, but just showing up with 5 guys in PvP fit ships to rat will prevent the hot drop (at least the covert ops variety). In this case you don't have to evade, but you may not actually fight...which according to some martial philosophies is the highest level of skill....winning and not fighting.

Astroniomix
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#2777 - 2013-11-09 00:50:48 UTC
Andy Landen wrote:

I'll put it like this: Titans one shot carriers.

Fit your carries better.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2778 - 2013-11-09 02:16:50 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

Even the example I gave, a blockade runner would not survive, let alone where it had been scouted by an opponent able to use more discretion in their choices.

Blockade runners do not have the nullifier subsystem, so the hictor would still catch it.

Unless your scout was some ship able to beat down the hictor fast enough, that hauling ship is still toast.
If your scout was something that brute force oriented, why would you assume an ambush that well thought out would engage without compensating for it?
(You know they had to have eyes on target well enough to ID the second ship as a hauler already, the first ship being PvP capable would not surprise them)

Bockade runner is now lost, as is the cargo, and the ISK value of the total loss is a lot higher too.
Uhh, best of luck stopping a blockade runner. I've jumped scoutless into a dictor bubbled gate camp, and still got out without a scratch. You have to be very unlucky or very stupid to lose a blockade runner.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2779 - 2013-11-09 02:23:30 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
I don't get it during a roam. So you are gain flat out wrong. If it worked exactly the same for both the PvE pilot and the PvP pilot, then I'd be fine leaving in local...of course you'd still have AFK camping, but I can live with that too.
So you donl;t have local while roaming? Stop minimising it then. Just because you personally don't use it as much when you are roaming doesn't mean it's not there. Utterly ludicrous.
It's works the SAME regardless of it you are PVE or PVP.
It does not work the same between a pilot already in a system and a pilot entering a system.
But it's not just PVP pilots that use gates is it genius?
So the system works the same for both sides.

Seriously, I know you've run out of arguments, but this is really grasping.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2780 - 2013-11-09 02:26:02 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
There is an effective way to fight...bring more people. No, this isn't an argument for blobbing, but just showing up with 5 guys in PvP fit ships to rat will prevent the hot drop (at least the covert ops variety). In this case you don't have to evade, but you may not actually fight...which according to some martial philosophies is the highest level of skill....winning and not fighting.
So to balance the need for 5 PvP guys in PvE, I take it 5 PvE guys will be required for PvP ships to be effective too then?
Fair's far and all that.