These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

AFK Cloaking Collection Thread

First post First post
Author
Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2741 - 2013-11-08 14:39:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Andy Landen
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Andy Landen wrote:
That was a very long way of agreeing that I was right about you wanting to increase pvp risk on pve and calling it greater pve rewards.

Well gosh, If you cut off the section where I qualify that response to such a degree, that it changes the meaning of that section entirely, sure.
Heck, for that matter, I can take your comments out of context too, and claim you like truly bizarre ideas.

Funny how you agree to wanting to increase the pvp risk to pve by removing local and then you retract it. Are you now saying that you don't want to increase pvp risk to pve by changing local? Please set the story straight on where you stand and then stick to it. I have read you say time and again how you think your local changes will increase pve rewards. Do you change your position on this too or do you just like to pretend a position change so that you can say I am changing the meaning and taking things out of context. And what is with all these qualifications? Can you simplify your views enough to go on record as for or against my statements above? Or do you partially agree but find it hard to say exactly where any difference lies.

Andy Landen wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
On the plus side, the hostile player would need to sacrifice their vaunted immunity to detection, which would make it possible to actually clean out a set of systems completely.

So, to sum up, the PvE player loses the zero risk, in theory.
The hostile player really does lose the zero detection defense, and must now make continual efforts to be evasive against potential hunters, or risk being ambushed.

Or, we leave things as is, which while mutually broken, IS balanced.

First, you are no authority to be able to declare what is balanced or not. Best to say, balanced in your opinion. Seems OP to me, and so we practice threat avoidance; evidence that we all think that afk cloak and cyno are OP.

Second, we can all support methods to probe down cloaked ships with sufficient time, skills and equipment, but not under the condition of losing local without any other mechanic to effectively replace it.

I am no authority to declare what is balanced. True. I never claimed to be, despite the way you refuted the idea.

The CCP devs, however, ARE the authority on what is balanced. In some cases, it changes based on fixing bugs, or wildly unexpected emergent game play aspects.
This does not apply here, as this situation has existed more than long enough to say:
"If it could be easily changed to be more balanced, it would have already happened"

Considering the simplistic nature of a timer or fuel idea, we can safely rule those out as having been rejected in favor of something more carefully considered. They already have both timers and fuel in the game, so difficulty in coding is a non issue.

As to having a mechanic to replace local, that is a given. I think I can point out more than one suggestion for making local better, and more competitive, in this thread.[/quote]
Are you so much as an authority to speak for CCP and declare what they desire? They are rebalancing every ship in the game, so do you think they are even remotely satisfied with any aspect of the game with such sweeping changes for the last year or so? I think that it is safe to say that the only reason they have not addressed an issue is due to lack of manpower. They have addressed a desire for modular stations and poses for years at their annual functions in major presentations, and still not done it. CCP does not offer blanket endorsements through silence and they do not declare anything balanced. In their own words, they are working towards a balance on each issue one iteration at a time, so we can't even say that a single pass of changes or two are enough to say that CCP calls it balanced - they do not call anything balanced.

And to Teckos, I do not change my position on cynos, hotdrops, etc.. They are OP, but I can manage them well enough through evasive practices. Evasion does not create balance. It just allows OP mechanics to not ruin the game. Mark these words: True balance is found when evasion is neither needed or desired!

I'll say it again, because it is absolutely critical to understand:
True balance is found when evasion is neither needed or desired!
Anything which creates a desire to engage the game is good, while anything which encourages people to log out or move out of any particular security of space is bad; and reveals underlying issues with balance and game mechanics.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein 

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2742 - 2013-11-08 14:46:42 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
As to having a mechanic to replace local, that is a given. I think I can point out more than one suggestion for making local better, and more competitive, in this thread.
I can also point out a place in this thread where there are several ideas to remove AFK cloaking. See post #1. To be honest I could point out more than one idea about resetting the server too. Volume of ideas does not denote quality however.

This is amazingly out of context.

Lucas, the point was that local is not being asked to be simply removed.

Cloaking IS being suggested to be nerfed alone.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2743 - 2013-11-08 14:48:41 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
See again here you highlight the whole issue. You seem to think that PVE has zero risk, and that zero risk is created by local. But that's wrong, utterly wrong. It's zero risk IF we make the right choices. Exactly the same as how PVP is zero risk if you make the right choices too. The choice of ship, location, activity as well as actions during the task affect how much risk you are exposed to. Local is not automatically making PVE risk free. You seem to dismiss all effort that PVE players put in as if they are just automatically safe, then you are trying to take away the automatic safety that you made up. It's truly ludicrous.

So, a game is then balanced if one side could CHOOSE to lose.

Yes, I see your point now, thank you for explaining that.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2744 - 2013-11-08 14:54:34 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
As to having a mechanic to replace local, that is a given. I think I can point out more than one suggestion for making local better, and more competitive, in this thread.
I can also point out a place in this thread where there are several ideas to remove AFK cloaking. See post #1. To be honest I could point out more than one idea about resetting the server too. Volume of ideas does not denote quality however.

Right, and misleading as well. The "remove" local also comes with a nerf to cloaking to make AFK cloaking a thing of the past.

The suggestions to nerf cloaking (and lets be clear, all suggestions to nerf just AFK cloaking usually entail nerfing cloaks in general) do nothing to look at the cause of AFK cloaking (no, it isn't the cloak, the cloak is what lets you do it, the cause is local*).

Trying to draw an equivalency between the two is not even remotely sensible.

*The reason local is the cause of AFK cloaking is because local reports the presence of the cloaked pilot in system no matter how long they have been there. That presence in local is what causes a change in behavior of players who would normally PvE in that system.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2745 - 2013-11-08 15:10:04 UTC
Andy Landen wrote:
Funny how you agree to wanting to increase the pvp risk to pve by removing local and then you retract it. Are you now saying that you don't want to increase pvp risk to pve by changing local? Please set the story straight on where you stand and then stick to it. I have ready time and again how you think your local changes will increase pve rewards. Do you change your position on this too or do you just like to pretend a position change so that you can say I am changing the meaning and taking things out of context. And what is with all these qualifications? Can you simplify your views enough to go on record as for or against my statements above? Or do you partially agree but find it hard to say exactly where any difference lies.

Removing local and changing local are two different concepts.
The context has become effectively "Local Intel", with emphasis on the intel side.
We are advocating for a change in the way intel is being achieved.

Removing local implies something akin to a wormhole style, where local's intel is strictly voluntary from chatting into it. It must be noted that the players from wormholes have made it very clear they do NOT want the means to evict or detect cloaks, and solutions that include such provisions are wanted kept separate from their game play.

Changing local, on the other hand, suggests a more moderate approach, where players can replace the intel with effort based solutions.

Andy Landen wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
I am no authority to declare what is balanced. True. I never claimed to be, despite the way you refuted the idea.

The CCP devs, however, ARE the authority on what is balanced. In some cases, it changes based on fixing bugs, or wildly unexpected emergent game play aspects.
This does not apply here, as this situation has existed more than long enough to say:
"If it could be easily changed to be more balanced, it would have already happened"

Considering the simplistic nature of a timer or fuel idea, we can safely rule those out as having been rejected in favor of something more carefully considered. They already have both timers and fuel in the game, so difficulty in coding is a non issue.

1> Are you so much as an authority to speak for CCP and declare what they desire? They are rebalancing every ship in the game, so do you think they are even remotely satisfied with any aspect of the game with such sweeping changes for the last year or so? I think that it is safe to say that the only reason they have not addressed an issue is due to lack of manpower. They have addressed a desire for modular stations and poses for years at their annual functions in major presentations, and still not done it. CCP does not offer blanket endorsements through silence and they do not declare anything balanced. In their own words, they are working towards a balance on each issue one iteration at a time, so we can't even say that a single pass of changes or two are enough to say that CCP calls it balanced - they do not call anything balanced.

1. Am I an authority on CCP? Of course not. That was exactly my point, and I made it. The actions of CCP speaks for them, whenever absence of an official statement exists.
You, on the other hand, seem to feel free to interpret their actions in very specific ways. And you add in details to make your views fit better.
"lack of manpower" << Really? You are speaking for their HR department regarding the need for more staff?
"they do not call anything balanced" << And here you are, doing it for them by declaring this aspect out of balance. If we extend your point far enough, then we must all still be playing the BETA release of the game, since nothing is safe to be considered balanced enough for paying players.
Of COURSE the game evolves, and is tweaked along the way. To assume that this aspect demands such attention, and must therefore be only explained by critical lack of manpower to implement, simply goes too far with assumptions.

Andy Landen wrote:
And to Teckos, I do not change my position on cynos, hotdrops, etc.. They are OP, but I can manage them well enough through evasive practices. Evasion does not create balance. It just allows OP mechanics to not ruin the game. Mark these words: True balance is found when evasion is neither needed or desired!

I'll say it again, because it is absolutely critical to understand:
True balance is found when evasion is neither needed or desired!
Anything which creates a desire to engage the game is good, while anything which encourages people to log out or move out of any particular security of space is bad; and reveals underlying issues with balance and game mechanics.

No. Consensual only PvP is achieved by this, not balance.
And that is not EVE.
Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2746 - 2013-11-08 15:13:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Andy Landen
Teckos Pech wrote:

Right, and misleading as well. The "remove" local also comes with a nerf to cloaking to make AFK cloaking a thing of the past.

The suggestions to nerf cloaking (and lets be clear, all suggestions to nerf just AFK cloaking usually entail nerfing cloaks in general) do nothing to look at the cause of AFK cloaking (no, it isn't the cloak, the cloak is what lets you do it, the cause is local*).

*The reason local is the cause of AFK cloaking is because local reports the presence of the cloaked pilot in system no matter how long they have been there. That presence in local is what causes a change in behavior of players who would normally PvE in that system.

Removing local buffs all hostile ships. Nerfing cloaking obviously only nerfs cloaky ships. Therefore all non-cloaky ships receive a buff without any kind of nerf. Therefore cloaky ships are in a weaker position, and all ships vulnerable to ganks are in a weaker position as well.

The suggestion to nerf AFK cloaking with an inactivity logoff timer effectively nerfs afk cloaking primarily (few other activities benefit from hours of inactivity while logged on and by few I mean none that I can think of because local log collecting seems pointless to me) while not really doing anything to nerf cloaking in general at all. So look at that suggestion a little closer.

And no, local does not make anyone go afk in a system where everyone else just ignores them and just shifts to the next system. This great theory of local forcing people to afk cloaky is simply not accurate at all. They do it because they think that they are make a substantial contribution to the war effort, and they delude themselves into believing that they are having a big effect on other places. They relish in the imaginary e-tears, even though none really exist. Such is the real and futile cause of afk cloaking. If they knew how pointless their actions were, they would not do it, but alas they are not at the keyboard enough to notice that local is largely empty or to enter the next system to see local giving that "free intel" again to tell them that local is full and that their afk cloaky was completely pointless.

PS: CCP explicitly stated that manpower and budget were the most important elements for determining what was accomplished and that the process of balancing the ships and other things like poses, etc. would take a long time. They actually say these things. I do not speak for them, but rather re-iterate what they have already said.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein 

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2747 - 2013-11-08 15:14:21 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
See again here you highlight the whole issue. You seem to think that PVE has zero risk, and that zero risk is created by local. But that's wrong, utterly wrong. It's zero risk IF we make the right choices. Exactly the same as how PVP is zero risk if you make the right choices too. The choice of ship, location, activity as well as actions during the task affect how much risk you are exposed to. Local is not automatically making PVE risk free. You seem to dismiss all effort that PVE players put in as if they are just automatically safe, then you are trying to take away the automatic safety that you made up. It's truly ludicrous.

Not true at all. It has been said many times by me, Nikk and others that a PvE pilot can get caught if they are unlucky (e.g. scrammed by a rat at just the wrong time, hung up on an object like an asteroid, etc). But aside from that you have to the rely solely on pilot error (not watching local, not watching intel channels, waiting around just another second to get his drones, etc.). The claim is that even when you combine those two types of events it results in a really small chance of being caught.

And the "automatic" nature of local has to do with the fact that pilots don't have to do anything to get the benefits of it. You get them automatically...whether you have sov or not. Irrespective of what ship you are in. Whether you have 10 million SP or 100 million SP local works for both pilots and exactly the same. That kind of mechanic has generally been frowned upon by CCP. The other aspect of local that is problematic is that the person already in system (i.e. the PvE pilot/resident) and an entrant enters system (i.e. the hostile PvP pilot) the resident has a distinct advantage. Both of these aspects of local are "automatic" you get them no matter what and have to do nothing to get that benefit.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2748 - 2013-11-08 15:17:23 UTC
Andy Landen wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:

Removing local buffs all hostile ships. Nerfing cloaking obviously only nerfs cloaky ships. Therefore all non-cloaky ships receive a buff without any kind of nerf. Therefore cloaky ships are in a weaker position, and all ships vulnerable to ganks are in a weaker position as well.

The suggestion to nerf AFK cloaking with an inactivity logoff timer effectively nerfs afk cloaking primarily (few other activities benefit from hours of inactivity while logged on and by few I mean none that I can think of because local log collecting seems pointless to me) while not really doing anything to nerf cloaking in general at all. So look at that suggestion a little closer.

And no, local does not make anyone go afk in a system where everyone else just ignores them and just shifts to the next system. This great theory of local forcing people to afk cloaky is simply not accurate at all. They do it because they think that they are make a substantial contribution to the war effort, and they delude themselves into believing that they are having a big effect on other places. They relish in the imaginary e-tears, even though none really exist. Such is the real and futile cause of afk cloaking. If they knew how pointless their actions were, they would not do it, but alas they are not at the keyboard enough to notice that local is largely empty or to enter the next system to see local giving that "free intel" again to tell them that local is full and that their afk cloaky was completely pointless.

Andy, did you see the quotes around the word local? I used them to imply it was not really just removing local. So your entire response is really a big fat non-sequitur.

Try posting again, but this time in a bit less of misleading way. Roll

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2749 - 2013-11-08 15:31:19 UTC
Andy Landen wrote:

Sure evasion can create balance. Nothing says that PvP has to be literally shooting holes in each other's ships. That is a point I have been consistent about not only in this thread but most others I participate in in this sub forum. PvP even happens when you buy my stuff in Jita and it includes everyone else selling the same items too. It is all competition...and they are all players....hence it is all PvP. No ships being shot. Nothing being destroyed. In fact, this kind of PvP creates stuff! Amazing isn't it?

Sometimes PvP can be ship-to-ship and have not ship deaths. Example, Ice minging. When I've done that it is a race to see who can get most of the ice for themselves...PvP. Again the nice thing about this type of PvP is it creates stuff (ice products for towers, capitals, etc.).

So I suggest part of the problem is one of view point/definitions. Basically broaden your concept of PvP. For example, that annoying AFK cloak SOB...he's engaged in PvP too. Boring, dull, and bad game play PvP (IMO), but still PvP.

Bottom line: competition is good in general. Competition in sports makes for better athletes, competition in markets makes for more stuff and and lower prices. Removal of competition results in less stuff (and less employment) and higher prices. In the context of ship-to-ship blow-them-up PvP in this game it is fun and creates a fascinating and interesting environment. Many players play this game not because of the PvE (which, IMO, really really sucks) but for the PvP and the meta-game.

Also, evasion is the tactic used by people in industrials. There was a whine thread (its a few pages down now) where some PvP boner was whining about how they can't catch the epithal now. Too many WCS. The industrialists who get away...they win. They get their PI stuff and don't die. To me, that's a win. When I'm scouting something out for my corp, alliance or coalition and break through a gate camp....I do it in a ship with a covert ops cloak, if I don't get caught...I win. How did I "win" in those two situations? By evasion and stealth. In both cases the attempt to obtain a goal by the other players have failed. From my perspective that's good...for those whose goals are diametrically opposed to the players who failed.

And if you can manage them (cynos/hot drops)...they are by definition not OP. OP is something for which there is not a reasonable response. Example tracking titans. There was pretty much no reasonable response there other than to bring even more tracking titans. That is not balanced, that is unbalanced. Hence the nerf.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2750 - 2013-11-08 15:42:35 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Not true at all. It has been said many times by me, Nikk and others that a PvE pilot can get caught if they are unlucky (e.g. scrammed by a rat at just the wrong time, hung up on an object like an asteroid, etc). But aside from that you have to the rely solely on pilot error (not watching local, not watching intel channels, waiting around just another second to get his drones, etc.). The claim is that even when you combine those two types of events it results in a really small chance of being caught.

And the "automatic" nature of local has to do with the fact that pilots don't have to do anything to get the benefits of it. You get them automatically...whether you have sov or not. Irrespective of what ship you are in. Whether you have 10 million SP or 100 million SP local works for both pilots and exactly the same. That kind of mechanic has generally been frowned upon by CCP. The other aspect of local that is problematic is that the person already in system (i.e. the PvE pilot/resident) and an entrant enters system (i.e. the hostile PvP pilot) the resident has a distinct advantage. Both of these aspects of local are "automatic" you get them no matter what and have to do nothing to get that benefit.

Except that's the same in ALL types of play. A WH pilot only get's caught if he makes a mistake. Don't forget you have to add choice of ship, choice of activity and choice of location into the equations. You think people mine deep in blue space because the space is prettier there? No, it's because they maximise the chances of an enemy getting caught en route. There is nothing that can;t be boiled down to an error in judgement or action. You happily boil down null PVE activities, but you refuse to boil down anything else, because it suits your argument to do so. The real facts are though that PVE players do die in null, at a pretty reasonable level. So the opportunity for error is clearly wide enough. What you want is to widen that so much, that even without error there is a chance of failure. If that happens then the PVP players will simply learn how to make that happen ALL THE TIME, thus guaranteeing the death of all PVE players they encounter. It's an absolutely ludicrous idea designed to deliver easy kills to solo gankers and so nothing you ever say will cause me to change my mind about it.

And to be honest, there's a lot of automatic features in EVE. Overviews, target boxes, watchlists, discovery scanner, etc. Sure, you could nuke them all to the point that we see the game in code and have to type text commands to play, bct that does nto make a fun game. Removing local would be fund for exactly one type of player, and boring as hell for everyone else. So regardless of whether you think everything should be manually controlled or not, I disagree that removal of local is good for the game. Since this has been argued for years, and CCP haven't even hinted at its removal (beyond a lone post by a single developer expressing his personal opinion), it shows that it's not really something they think is important.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2751 - 2013-11-08 15:57:14 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

At the end of the day they are both changes. Different scales sure. You want to ruin nullsec, while I want to stop AFK players pushing people out of nullsec. It still doesn't make your idea more valid just because you throw in some half-assed attempt at what you think is "balance". You still don't address any of the key issue that would cause a nuking of local to destroy more gameplay than it creates.

And for the record, my idea targets the AFKness of players, not the cloak, so it would in fact have no effect on active players, cloaked or otherwise.

Oh, and no, local is not the CAUSE of AFK cloaking. It the method to display it's threat, but it is not the cause, any more than you monitor being the cause of popups. The cause is that cloaking takes no effort to keep on, has no counter, and does not allow a player to differentiate between an inactive pilot and an actual threat. I propose targeting that last bit, but you are so hung up on the idea that local is some kind of monster mechanic that you will never look at the actual issue.
Get it into your head. LOCAL WILL NOT GET CHANGED. CCP are not going to kick the majority of the playerbase in the nuts just to appease people like you. CCP want MORE people in null, not less. You will get nowhere by repeatedly screaming the same thing over and over.

AFK cloaking however was addressed at EVE Vegas in a Q&A. From what was said it's clear to me that the hunter -> hunted style of play is what they have in mind, which to me would seem to be affecting active cloakers too which is bad, but hell, since you and your twin won't drop the "waah local" bit, I now fully support that!

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2752 - 2013-11-08 16:12:43 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:

Except that's the same in ALL types of play. A WH pilot only get's caught if he makes a mistake. Don't forget you have to add choice of ship, choice of activity and choice of location into the equations. You think people mine deep in blue space because the space is prettier there? No, it's because they maximise the chances of an enemy getting caught en route. There is nothing that can;t be boiled down to an error in judgement or action. You happily boil down null PVE activities, but you refuse to boil down anything else, because it suits your argument to do so. The real facts are though that PVE players do die in null, at a pretty reasonable level. So the opportunity for error is clearly wide enough. What you want is to widen that so much, that even without error there is a chance of failure. If that happens then the PVP players will simply learn how to make that happen ALL THE TIME, thus guaranteeing the death of all PVE players they encounter. It's an absolutely ludicrous idea designed to deliver easy kills to solo gankers and so nothing you ever say will cause me to change my mind about it.

And to be honest, there's a lot of automatic features in EVE. Overviews, target boxes, watchlists, discovery scanner, etc. Sure, you could nuke them all to the point that we see the game in code and have to type text commands to play, bct that does nto make a fun game. Removing local would be fund for exactly one type of player, and boring as hell for everyone else. So regardless of whether you think everything should be manually controlled or not, I disagree that removal of local is good for the game. Since this has been argued for years, and CCP haven't even hinted at its removal (beyond a lone post by a single developer expressing his personal opinion), it shows that it's not really something they think is important.

See, this is disingenuous.

There is a highly significant difference between making a mistake, and being beaten by a better effort.

To illustrate:
Mistake: Using a ship you cannot afford to lose, or in a way likely to cause loss.
You use a ratting ship, but don't have good enough intel to warn you, and you don't take any precautions to compensate.
If you learn from your mistakes, you can improve.

Beaten by superior effort: Taking precautions and preparing, so that the chances of loss are in your favor, but someone else made a better effort against you.
You use a T1 hauler, with a scout, and cross several systems carrying cargo. At one gate, the opponent notes the two names in local, or is cloaked and sees the two ships gate away. Noting the gap, he logs in a hictor on the other side of a pipeline gate as soon as he sees the scout leave system one. Thanks to timing, the hictor arrives on gate just as the hauler was loading the system at the same gate. The scout is too late to react with warning, as this was timed to avoid them.
Bubble goes up, hauler gets popped.
Again, while not a mistake, you can TRY to learn from experiences, and weigh the cost of even higher effort, against the likelihood of this happening again.

The first is practically a handout to the hunter finding the ship so unprepared.
The second reflects both non consensual PvP, as well as good gameplay.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2753 - 2013-11-08 16:29:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucas Kell
Nikk Narrel wrote:
See, this is disingenuous.

There is a highly significant difference between making a mistake, and being beaten by a better effort.

To illustrate:
Mistake: Using a ship you cannot afford to lose, or in a way likely to cause loss.
You use a ratting ship, but don't have good enough intel to warn you, and you don't take any precautions to compensate.
If you learn from your mistakes, you can improve.

Beaten by superior effort: Taking precautions and preparing, so that the chances of loss are in your favor, but someone else made a better effort against you.
You use a T1 hauler, with a scout, and cross several systems carrying cargo. At one gate, the opponent notes the two names in local, or is cloaked and sees the two ships gate away. Noting the gap, he logs in a hictor on the other side of a pipeline gate as soon as he sees the scout leave system one. Thanks to timing, the hictor arrives on gate just as the hauler was loading the system at the same gate. The scout is too late to react with warning, as this was timed to avoid them.
Bubble goes up, hauler gets popped.
Again, while not a mistake, you can TRY to learn from experiences, and weigh the cost of even higher effort, against the likelihood of this happening again.

The first is practically a handout to the hunter finding the ship so unprepared.
The second reflects both non consensual PvP, as well as good gameplay.
Except any time you are beaten by "superior effort" is because you made a mistake. Your example there it's using a T1 hauler. Using a T1 hauler in null is a mistake.

If it were possible for "Superior Effort" to win out, even if the opponent made no mistakes, then people would work out the best way that guarantees a win, and always do that.

You have to realise that EVE is more like tic-tac-toe. If either side makes a mistake, they lose, but if bots sides play perfectly, the outcome is always a draw. In the case of null PVE, that means the PVP player doesn't get the kill, but the PVE player doesn't get to continue their play uninterrupted. Neither side loses, but neither side wins. Tipping it so a win can be guaranteed by trying hard enough, no matter how well prepared the other side was would totally break the game.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2754 - 2013-11-08 16:38:13 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:

Except that's the same in ALL types of play.

Sure, but with things like PvP there are added dimensions like fittings that can make a huge difference. Did he fit a scram or a disruptor, is my opponent close or long range, is he bait or solo, etc.?

Those considerations are almost entirely absent from the PvE guys point of view. He fits a rat specific tank, he fits the best type of weapons for the ship, and watches local, stays aligned and buggers off at the first sign of hostiles. In other words, PvE is far, far simpler.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2755 - 2013-11-08 16:42:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Lucas Kell wrote:
You want to ruin nullsec....

Alright, enough of this. This is a lie. I live in null. I like null. I'd rather be there than empire. I like this game (guess I'm not a bitter vet yet). I've spent lots of money on it for my subscription. So why would I want to "ruin null".

So the above statement is just simply a complete and utter lie.

Oh, and if an AFK cloaky player is pushing people out of null sec...they shouldn't have been there in the first place, IMO.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2756 - 2013-11-08 16:44:26 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

Sure, but with things like PvP there are added dimensions like fittings that can make a huge difference. Did he fit a scram or a disruptor, is my opponent close or long range, is he bait or solo, etc.?

Those considerations are almost entirely absent from the PvE guys point of view. He fits a rat specific tank, he fits the best type of weapons for the ship, and watches local, stays aligned and buggers off at the first sign of hostiles. In other words, PvE is far, far simpler.
Shockingly, PvE is PvE focused...
You need to pick your fittings for the activity you are undertaking, so sure PvP players have to put more effort into their PvP side that PvE players have to put into their PvP side. But PvE players also have to put in effort on their PvE side. Conversely PvP players have to put no effort into a PvE side. It's not simpler, it's just different.

Why should a PvE player have to put in full effort into PvE, but then on top, put another set of full effort into PvP just to not get shot by a ganker, while a PvP player gets to focus on just what they want to do?

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2757 - 2013-11-08 16:45:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Lucas Kell wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

You need to pick your fittings for the activity you are undertaking, so sure PvP players have to put more effort into their PvP side that PvE players have to put into their PvP side. But PvE players also have to put in effort on their PvE side. Conversely PvP players have to put no effort into a PvE side. It's not simpler, it's just different.

Why should a PvE player have to put in full effort into PvE, but then on top, put another set of full effort into PvP just to not get shot by a ganker, while a PvP player gets to focus on just what they want to do?

Why should they [PvE pilots] get something for free that gives them an advantage?

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2758 - 2013-11-08 16:45:43 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

Alright, enough of this. This is a lie. I live in null. I like null. I'd rather be there than empire. I like this game (guess I'm not a bitter vet yet). I've spent lots of money on it for my subscription. So why would I want to "ruin null".

Well it's not. You support an idea that would literally cripple nullsec.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2759 - 2013-11-08 16:48:03 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

Well it's not. You support an idea that would literally cripple nullsec.

It is a ****** lie. I don't want to ruin null, I think my idea will improve it. I might be wrong, but that does not mean I WANT to ruin it.

See the difference?

So, now the question is why are you persisting on lying about my intentions? Why are you using a ****** and underhanded debating technique?

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2760 - 2013-11-08 16:50:39 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

Why should they get something for free that gives them an advantage?
Everyone gets that. Everyone can use it, for free. It's not an advantage since everyone gets it's benefit.

And without it, PvE is crippled, and cloaking ships are far superior to all other types of combat ships. Why are you so set on forcing PvE players to have to try to survive being engaged by PvP players? They will lose, that's a given. So whats the point in ruining the game for PvE players? Just so you can inflate you epeen on some easy kills?