These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

AFK Cloaking Collection Thread

First post First post
Author
Xcom
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#2421 - 2013-10-16 16:33:49 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Xcom wrote:

The only argument you have against perma cloaking is that its balanced out by the broken local.

Well, I guess I should be happy you are now considering local and AFK cloaking linked. Baby steps I guess. Roll

My point is made. Your trying to keep a broken mechanic because you somehow have tied it to some other broken mechanic in the game and trying to avoid making any changes because of that.

You honestly have no counter arguments against the fact that perma cloaking in this game should stick around. Instead you derail it to some other flaw that needs addressed. A flaw about local that literally is like cancer, an unintentional mechanic that have not been fixed after 10 years and probably wont be fixed for another decade.

We all know local will eventually have to be addressed but perma cloaking should and could be fixed right now as its a much simpler and easier fix. Trying to avoid fixing it because of local is just as flawed in trying to fix all the flaws and broken mechanics of eve in one single patch.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2422 - 2013-10-16 16:39:05 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
What part of: they get intel which includes a heads up regarding cloaked presence
makes you think they can be snuck up on, and pointed?

If you KNOW a cloaked ship is in your scan range, you HAVE been warned about it.
You CAN leave, reship into a fighting craft, and track it down.

At what point do you ignore warnings, and hand out free kill mails? We are assuming a basic level of pilot competence here, not foolhardy decision making.
Yes, exactly the same as now. Which I've stated. What I've also said is in the systems with no automated broadcasts, the cloakers can just use d-scan and fly to you totally undetected and unannounced. You brushed this off as basically "they won't do that" which really isn't an assurance. This means:
Some of the time the cloakers are exactly as now. (Automated scanners)
Other times the cloakers have a MASSIVE advantage over all other ship types. (No scanners)

So WHY put a change it that gives a cloaker a massive benefit some of the time, while changing nothing the rest of the time, but that breaks fleet combat all the time (since aggressors will never have intel in a hostile system in fleet combat).
I really don't know how to put it simpler than that.

Ok, I am assuming we are including my overview idea, since that was referenced by details.

Point 1: The cloaked ship loses it's cloak the moment it uses a d-scan. Treated like a manual deactivation, normal delay to re-cloak applies here.

Point 2: The d-scan burst, would be visible to the potential target. Even assuming they had not cycled their own active sensors, the formerly cloaked ship is now visible in the remaining local, as well as them having a sensor hit from that d-scan burst.
Now, add to this, that the d-scan burst is visible to targets for twice the effective scanning range, because the energy is not strong enough to make it back to the sending ship beyond the rated scan distance.
The energy does not magically stop at this limit, it simply is not strong enough to bounce back to the source in a useful way.

Your cloaker really needs to be more sneaky here.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2423 - 2013-10-16 16:41:57 UTC
Xcom wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Xcom wrote:

The only argument you have against perma cloaking is that its balanced out by the broken local.

Well, I guess I should be happy you are now considering local and AFK cloaking linked. Baby steps I guess. Roll

My point is made. Your trying to keep a broken mechanic because you somehow have tied it to some other broken mechanic in the game and trying to avoid making any changes because of that.

You honestly have no counter arguments against the fact that perma cloaking in this game should stick around. Instead you derail it to some other flaw that needs addressed. A flaw about local that literally is like cancer, an unintentional mechanic that have not been fixed after 10 years and probably wont be fixed for another decade.

We all know local will eventually have to be addressed but perma cloaking should and could be fixed right now as its a much simpler and easier fix. Trying to avoid fixing it because of local is just as flawed in trying to fix all the flaws and broken mechanics of eve in one single patch.

It is not an easier fix.

The details of their broken components both relate to intel about the play type central to this debate. A so-called AFK cloaked ship.
In logical terms, the fact that people are told of it's presence for no effort cannot be simply pushed aside.
It is the exact reason for it's subsequent behavior, as demonstrated.

Either use logic, or admit you are abandoning it here.
Xcom
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#2424 - 2013-10-16 17:05:56 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Xcom wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Xcom wrote:

It is not an easier fix.

The details of their broken components both relate to intel about the play type central to this debate. A so-called AFK cloaked ship.
In logical terms, the fact that people are told of it's presence for no effort cannot be simply pushed aside.

Ok lets use logic if you really think Im not.

Problem A: Perma cloaking is broken
Problem B: Local is broken

The point Im trying to make:
Problem A - needs a fix
Problem B - needs a fix

The point your trying to make:
Problem A and Problem B are broken and so Problem A needs to stay because they both are broken.

Flaw in your arguing. Two wrongs wont make a right.

Is that logical enough?
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2425 - 2013-10-16 17:46:12 UTC
Xcom wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
It is not an easier fix.

Problem A - needs a fix
Problem B - needs a fix

Problem A and Problem B are broken and so Problem A needs to stay because they both are broken.

Is that logical enough?

If it were accurate, yes, it would be.

Problem A: Local is broken.
This has an evolved effect now called Problem B.
Problem B: Cloaking is broken

Problem B is actually more involved than this simple version. Let's expose the issue better for this context:

Problem B: Cloaking is broken by being perfectly reported in local AND by being undetectable on a level of specific location.

If you look at it logically, you have two absolute factors here, each countering the other.
You KNOW the cloaked ship is present. 100%
You CANNOT KNOW exactly where it is. 100%

Knowing the cloaked vessel is present, makes cloaking a joke.
Local Residents: Stealth who? Bob, we can all see you in chat, duh!

Being unable to subsequently find it, however, at least recovers some value for the effort being made.
Bob: Hah! Can't find me!

It reduces cloaking from a genuine stealth ability, to a utility for use in hostile areas to avoid being scanned down.

Genuine cloaking only exists in a wormhole.
The rest of EVE simply has the ability to hide, but their presence is always common knowledge.
Xcom
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#2426 - 2013-10-16 18:08:36 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:

Problem B is actually more involved than this simple version. Let's expose the issue better for this context:

Problem B: Cloaking is broken by being perfectly reported in local AND by being undetectable on a level of specific location.

If you look at it logically, you have two absolute factors here, each countering the other.

Being unable to subsequently find it, however, at least recovers some value for the effort being made.

It reduces cloaking from a genuine stealth ability, to a utility for use in hostile areas to avoid being scanned down.

The rest of EVE simply has the ability to hide, but their presence is always common knowledge.

This is the exact thing I was talking about. Your intermixing the problems and create a convoluted string of if A is broken then B must stay.

Here is a major flaw in your arguing making everything look like its going around in circles. Problem A local is broken and ruins cloaking. Problem B Perma cloaking on any ship is imbalanced. The fact your mixing the two makes everything look like its going around in circles while in fact the issue is completely separate.

Perma cloaking is not the same thing as cloaking and how local ruins your cloak ability. The fact you can stay cloaked indefinitely is the topic of discussion here. If you actually separated the two then suddenly there would be no way to defend the imbalanced perma cloak mechanics.

Just to make thins crystal clear.
Perma cloaking, the ability to stay cloaked forever is an issue.

Not local mechanics and how local ruins the element surprise when using cloaked ships.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2427 - 2013-10-16 18:30:39 UTC
Xcom wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

This is the exact thing I was talking about. Your intermixing the problems and create a convoluted string of if A is broken then B must stay.

Here is a major flaw in your arguing making everything look like its going around in circles. Problem A local is broken and ruins cloaking. Problem B Perma cloaking on any ship is imbalanced. The fact your mixing the two makes everything look like its going around in circles while in fact the issue is completely separate.

Perma cloaking is not the same thing as cloaking and how local ruins your cloak ability. The fact you can stay cloaked indefinitely is the topic of discussion here. If you actually separated the two then suddenly there would be no way to defend the imbalanced perma cloak mechanics.

Just to make thins crystal clear.
Perma cloaking, the ability to stay cloaked forever is an issue.

Not local mechanics and how local ruins the element surprise when using cloaked ships.

I maintain they are interconnected, on a very fundamental level. Your argument denies the valid cause and effect relationship that they share. You insist on focusing entirely on the effect, or symptom, and avoid the cause itself.

If we isolate ourselves to ignoring local, then for balance sake we must not be exclusive to the play mechanic, but the behavior in general.
The ability to do anything forever is an issue, in that case.
The solution is to create a threshold of minimum activity, and anyone falling short of that is logged out.
They can be boosting from a POS, sitting in an outpost, anything in game where specific interaction falls below this required threshold.

This seems draconian, but at least your AFK cloakers go poof, along with AFK anything. I do not see CCP adopting this.

The fact remains, that players are only entitled to security to a level that they can provide and maintain.
If one defensive tactic is failing, due to being countered, then use another.

Cloaking in this context is both counterintelligence as well as potential for PvP.
It is perfectly acceptable play, as is logging out an alt at a sensitive location for a future ambush.

Your declaration that this play style cannot be overcome, and must be subsequently removed, is broken by the evidence of players who do overcome it.

I am sorry this challenge is more than you feel comfortable with.
I know of a few players who actually embrace the psychological conflict itself, as enjoyable play.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2428 - 2013-10-16 23:21:40 UTC
Xcom wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Xcom wrote:

WTFAYTA? I want AFK cloaking gone, but I want it gone in a balanced manner--i.e. remove the mechanic that is causing it. Simply removing AFK cloaking is unbalanced.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2429 - 2013-10-16 23:42:34 UTC
Xcom wrote:

Problem A - needs a fix
Problem B - needs a fix

Is that logical enough?

Yes, two negatives cancel each other out...or instead fix the root problem. In this case the root problem is local as an intel mechanic. It is a double edged sword as everyone who has suffered from an AFK cloaked camper knows.

What you want is to get rid of one edge of the sword--i.e. and unbalanced solution.

Separating intel and local would solve the AFK cloaking.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2430 - 2013-10-17 00:38:30 UTC
Xcom wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

I hope this isn't what you call logic...

Yes, that could be one response. A is broken, therefore B has to stay, which is also broken (greatly simplifying here).

The other is, B is broken and is a result of A which is also broken. If we fix A, we also fix B.

I favor the second option. However, until we we can fix A the inter-related nature of AFK cloaking and local means that if you just "fix" AFK cloaking you are providing an unearned benefit to every resident PvEing in a null system. Unearned benefits are not good game design, IMO.

Vas Eldryn
#2431 - 2013-10-17 01:20:46 UTC
You want mining / ratting ships to be more vulnerable but AFK cloaked ships to remain invulnerable while AFK and even more invisible by removing them from local. So you want more risk in null by keeping a near zero risk mechanic in place?

I'd like to see cov-ops cyno field generators be cruiser class minimum modules, as it doesn't seem to be the role of a stealth bomber, more a recon ship / strat cruiser / blops ability. This wont fix anything I know and is a slightly off topic, Just my 2 cents.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2432 - 2013-10-17 01:49:40 UTC
Vas Eldryn wrote:
You want mining / ratting ships to be more vulnerable but AFK cloaked ships to remain invulnerable while AFK and even more invisible by removing them from local. So you want more risk in null by keeping a near zero risk mechanic in place?

I'd like to see cov-ops cyno field generators be cruiser class minimum modules, as it doesn't seem to be the role of a stealth bomber, more a recon ship / strat cruiser / blops ability. This wont fix anything I know and is a slightly off topic, Just my 2 cents.

Seriously?

Mining and ratting ships have no vulnerability in home sov short of poor planning or pilot error.
I am a miner, and even I want more vulnerability, at least make us earn our safety in an opposed effort, not cutting out the hostiles as irrelevant unless we screw up first.
My tag as a miner is littered by clueless refugees from high sec, because it is so easy to stay safe in sov null.
High sec mining can have this reputation, and noone would be surprised. Null is supposed to be more impressive.

As to comparing ISK making ships to non ISK making ships, noone can do this objectively. It falls apart, because no matter how important you think your PvE efforts are, the hostile is paid nothing unless they pick up loot from your smoking hull.
And you know you have full control over preventing that, making it an empty comparison.

Vas Eldryn
#2433 - 2013-10-17 01:54:38 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Vas Eldryn wrote:

Seriously?

Mining and ratting ships have no vulnerability in home sov short of poor planning or pilot error.
I am a miner, and even I want more vulnerability, at least make us earn our safety in an opposed effort, not cutting out the hostiles as irrelevant unless we screw up first.
My tag as a miner is littered by clueless refugees from high sec, because it is so easy to stay safe in sov null.
High sec mining can have this reputation, and noone would be surprised. Null is supposed to be more impressive.

As to comparing ISK making ships to non ISK making ships, noone can do this objectively. It falls apart, because no matter how important you think your PvE efforts are, the hostile is paid nothing unless they pick up loot from your smoking hull.
And you know you have full control over preventing that, making it an empty comparison.

again you say you want more vulnerability... but you don't want your invulnerability to suffer?
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2434 - 2013-10-17 04:52:44 UTC
Vas Eldryn wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Vas Eldryn wrote:

Seriously?

again you say you want more vulnerability... but you don't want your invulnerability to suffer?

Try reading his post again.

Vas Eldryn
#2435 - 2013-10-17 05:42:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Vas Eldryn
I'm not just going of that one post of yours .... yes I've read it... i've also read the ridiculous links in your signature and many of your previous posts!

you want to make null sec more dangerous and PVE ships in null more vulnerable... but you want one class of ships to remain invulnerable and even invisible on local!

The thing that makes null sec work is the social networks, alliances and co-operation of many, many players that form intel channels and through diplomacy try to secure their sov... but you want to make all these player generated social interactions useless because you feel that teamwork, diplomacy and social skills matter less than allowing a player to sit AFK and cloaked in a system with invulnerability... because his upset that the defense and intel generated by a vast amount of players is too much!

guess what.... If all these player generated interactions allowing for the formation, stability and longevity of alliances in Null where easily bypassed, say by removing cloaked ships from local... Null sec would collapse and I mean COLLAPSE...

If you want to stop a large amount of players co-operating together to defend their home and break their intel, get a bunch of friends together and invade, rip down their POS's and take sov.. you just need some friends 1st.
Xcom
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#2436 - 2013-10-17 09:25:42 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:

Yes, that could be one response. A is broken, therefore B has to stay, which is also broken (greatly simplifying here).

The other is, B is broken and is a result of A which is also broken. If we fix A, we also fix B.

I favor the second option. However, until we we can fix A the inter-related nature of AFK cloaking and local means that if you just "fix" AFK cloaking you are providing an unearned benefit to every resident PvEing in a null system. Unearned benefits are not good game design, IMO.

How exactly is perma cloaking somehow a product of broken local? The fact your trying to connect the 2 problems shows your trying to either desperately keep things as they are or you have somehow found a vague connection between the two and desperately try and hold on to your perma cloaking broken game mechanic. Why would anyone post here in the features and ideas if we just want to string all the problems together and get nothing done.

Also null sec is all about securing your system to utilize its resources. What do you think sov system is all about? its not just about moon goo and capital ship construction poses. Null is full of roming gang attacks, invasions from other alliances and logistical problems. Adding invisible attackers that you cant defend against is just a cheep knockoff tactic that you have convoluted yourself thinking is a good game mechanic.

In no other game then eve you will ever find similar imbalanced stealth mechanics. In fact when people make fun of eve this exact flawed mechanic is probably something they bring up.
Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2437 - 2013-10-17 10:44:57 UTC
You know, this thread really should have been named "AFK Cloaking Collection tied to local Thread."

I do not agree that changes to cloaking require changes to local mechanics (or vice versa), or that the solution to the afk cloaking issue requires changes to local mechanics.

I also emphasize that cyno blobbing is far too overpowered, especially when combat begins immediately after the hotdrop. Any mechanic which greatly encourages the hotdropping group to hotdrop off-grid or which greatly limits the total mass of the ships jumped through will greatly balance cynos. Blue balling through cynos is currently ridiculous. Some kind of penalty to targeting delay, scan res, and signature should be added to those who use cynos.

Also, any talk of wormholes should include emphasis on the lack of cynos or infinite mass gates there.

Lastly, most players consider the local mechanic to be fine. Those who desire more challenge and excitement should look to gameplay beyond mining; known space local does not need any changes, especially with cynos and war decs allowed.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein 

Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2438 - 2013-10-17 10:56:15 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Andy Landen wrote:

I was showing Nikk that there is nothing cost prohibitive about it.

And if that one guy in the cloaked stealth bomber (still comparatively cheap) has a cyno, then those 20+ players will not only be in your system, they will be right on top of you. With changes to local, there is NO chance of escape if the stealth bomber is already in system with you (which you can NEVER know) and if the cyno blob is not big enough to take you down (the best tanks fall easily to several well fit pvp ships). If the cyno blob is not big enough, they will hold until they can scramble a large enough fleet to easily take you down. And you can NOT know how big the enemy will organize for their hotdrop if local masks ships, even with stellar intel; except with spies, which totally sidesteps the current thread of cloaked cynos and the tangent of changing local to attempt a solution. Only the largest and best tanked incursions style fleets (or large bait fleets) would dare to do ops in such conditions in anything larger/more expensive than a cruiser.

Well, if ships with cloaks can be scanned via a new probe that at the very least lets you know they are in system this is not true. Scan probes usually have a 64 AU range. So unless he has a very deep safe (and if he does petition him for using exploits) then you could see if he is there before you start doing PvE. After that keep an eye on your intel system to see if hostiles are inbound. And if they hit your intel infrastructure defend it or face the consequences.

Do your suggested mechanic changes only apply to sov space? What about players in stations not being able to look out their windows and station cameras to see what is immediately outside the station? What about that brief time between gate cloak and covert ops cloak? What about the time between each scan?

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein 

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2439 - 2013-10-17 13:58:02 UTC
Vas Eldryn wrote:
I'm not just going of that one post of yours .... yes I've read it... i've also read the ridiculous links in your signature and many of your previous posts!

you want to make null sec more dangerous and PVE ships in null more vulnerable... but you want one class of ships to remain invulnerable and even invisible on local!

The thing that makes null sec work is the social networks, alliances and co-operation of many, many players that form intel channels and through diplomacy try to secure their sov... but you want to make all these player generated social interactions useless because you feel that teamwork, diplomacy and social skills matter less than allowing a player to sit AFK and cloaked in a system with invulnerability... because his upset that the defense and intel generated by a vast amount of players is too much!

guess what.... If all these player generated interactions allowing for the formation, stability and longevity of alliances in Null where easily bypassed, say by removing cloaked ships from local... Null sec would collapse and I mean COLLAPSE...

If you want to stop a large amount of players co-operating together to defend their home and break their intel, get a bunch of friends together and invade, rip down their POS's and take sov.. you just need some friends 1st.

Invulnerable and invisible in local.

Except for the ability to find them and destroy them, that is.

You DO realize, I hope, that one of the links is specific to hunting cloaked vessels?
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2440 - 2013-10-17 14:02:17 UTC
Xcom wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:

How exactly is perma cloaking somehow a product of broken local? The fact your trying to connect the 2 problems shows your trying to either desperately keep things as they are or you have somehow found a vague connection between the two and desperately try and hold on to your perma cloaking broken game mechanic. Why would anyone post here in the features and ideas if we just want to string all the problems together and get nothing done.

Also null sec is all about securing your system to utilize its resources. What do you think sov system is all about? its not just about moon goo and capital ship construction poses. Null is full of roming gang attacks, invasions from other alliances and logistical problems. Adding invisible attackers that you cant defend against is just a cheep knockoff tactic that you have convoluted yourself thinking is a good game mechanic.

In no other game then eve you will ever find similar imbalanced stealth mechanics. In fact when people make fun of eve this exact flawed mechanic is probably something they bring up.

Perma cloaking is, and remains, broken.
Local does not affect that.

HOWEVER

You want some means to either hunt, or remove through an AFK clearance mechanic, cloaked vessels.
This diminishes the cloaked vessels.
Their behavior has been demonstrated as a response to local intel, as a countermeasure.
By reducing the effectiveness of the counter, you effectively enhance the pilots who rely on the countered effect, AKA local derived intel.
This is logic, and I welcome you to explain any objection you have to it.