These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

AFK Cloaking Collection Thread

First post First post
Author
NightmareX
Pandemic Horde High Sec Division
#2241 - 2013-10-09 11:59:40 UTC
Debora Tsung wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

AFK players are AFK and should NOT be able to affect the game. THE END. THAT IS ALL..

And that's the point.

They are indeed not affecting the game. They are doing nothing. At all.

So causing fear on others while you that are afk is not at you computer, is not affecting the game?

Here is a list of my current EVE / PVP videos:

1: Asteroid Madness

2: Clash of the Empires

3: Suddenly Spaceships fighting in Tama

Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#2242 - 2013-10-09 12:23:51 UTC
NightmareX wrote:
Debora Tsung wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

AFK players are AFK and should NOT be able to affect the game. THE END. THAT IS ALL..

And that's the point.

So causing fear on others while you that are afk is not at you computer, is not affecting the game?

True again.

They are not actively affecting the game.

And if you really can speak f fear in a computer generated virtual game enviroment... Straight
That is a decision everybody has to make for themselves.

The same way an afk cloaker could say "afk cloaking is virtually impossible because someone might accidentally decloak and kill me" and don't say that's never happened before.

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2243 - 2013-10-09 12:59:18 UTC
supernova ranger wrote:
Just annoying how an afk cloaker can force players to take action with 0 effort. They ARE attacking because assuming they aren't leaves you vulnerable to the possibility that they are active.

Another mechanic in the game where there is reward for zero effort.

Just as annoying as how people get intel for zero effort.

AFK cloaking waters down that intel, makes it less reliable. It is one of the few ways to do it on a long term basis. And the reason is the flawed nature of local (well, flawed if you think free intel is bad and AFK camping is bad).

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2244 - 2013-10-09 13:01:45 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Judith Frozenvoid wrote:
"AFK players being able to shut down whole sections of space."

AFK players are not "shutting down space". This is in your mind. If they are truly AFK they can do nothing to you.. You are allowing them to have control over you through your fear. CCP should REMOVE them from Local Chat so you don't see them.. then only the active players will "shut down your efforts"

you'll still complain but at least you'll be more honest about your motives.
We've covered this. So many times.
You can't know they are truly AFK can you? Which is my WHOLE point. I don't even want to KILL afk cloakers, I just want them marked afk and warped to deadspace cloaked while AFK.

Once they are no longer visible in local they can no longer have the threat effect because you don't know they are there. We have gone over this too. AFK cloaking works because of local. This what makes AFK cloaking and local as an intel tool inextricable linked.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2245 - 2013-10-09 13:07:20 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
JIeoH Mocc wrote:
supernova ranger wrote:
Just annoying how an afk cloaker can force players to take action with 0 effort. They ARE attacking because assuming they aren't leaves you vulnerable to the possibility that they are active.

Oh i see that there was a generations shift while i was gone =)

Pray tell, how exactly another player (and an AFK one, to top that) can force you to do anything?

I'll offer you a way out right away - you're feeling forced to do something because you're, hmm... how do i put this... lazy/greedy/otherwise challenged to consider your options, and feel entitled, for some reason, to things you're not?

Because unless you are a moron, you must treat all players as active. We've covered this. Try reading the thread.
To be honest though... if AFK cloakers do absolutely nothing, like you suggest, then where is the downside of warping them away cloaked and marking them as AFK?

Yes, and ideas on how to get around AFK cloaking have been gone over many times too. Rat in PvP groups. Use a venture for mining. Move over a system or two.

You don't have to kill the AFK cloaker to defeat, just make his logging in pointless. The main goal is to deny access to resources, i.e. everyone docks up and sits in station doing nothing. The second goal is to lull people into complacency to try an generate a kill. Deny them this and you win.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2246 - 2013-10-09 13:09:19 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
supernova ranger wrote:

Indeed.
And yet Nikk and Teckos complain to no end about low effort mechanics. Funny how they only care about low effort on the side against them. On their side it is fine.

Which is why I want to get rid of such mechanics...but all of them.

You know this, yet you post this garbage. Roll

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2247 - 2013-10-09 13:11:48 UTC
Maximus Aerelius wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
This just sounds like more of this "alliances must spend all day every day defending themselves from tiny groups" theory. ITS A GAME, NOT A CAREER. Why should a group that wants to own sov have to keep defensive fleets up 24/7 just to hold it. I know on paper TO YOU it sounds like a great idea, but it would kill off sov null.

If you think that then that "Sov Holding Alliance" doesn't deserve to hold that territory and should be freed from the burden of having to provide "defensive fleets up 24/7 just to hold it."

It's a game and it has consequences...you want to hold a region 24/7 with all the rewards it brings then you have to defend it 24/7 or risk the loss...don't have the man power then sov null isn't for you and best go elsewhere or roam like PL (I believe they hold no sov or didn't).

I think they have a handful of systems here and there. But generally, yeah they hold no sov.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2248 - 2013-10-09 13:13:42 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Your argument is dancing all over the place, but I will try to address your points.

Fleets, aka blobs, are not affected by local in a meaningful way. They don't know if that cluster of enemies is flying alpha doctrine BS's, or SB's. And assuming they won't know if the enemy fleet is in the same system otherwise, is a joke.

AFK players being moved to deadspace DOES remove them from consideration.
The idea you should be free from uncertainty is ridiculous. This removes uncertainty.

If AFK Cloakers are needed to create uncertainty, then they are contributing a vital asset to the game.
A set of events with an obvious and predictable outcome? That's a movie, not a game. After you see it the first time, you know how it ends.
How many months would you pay to see the same predictable outcome repeated?

As to non consensual PvP existing in null:
A prepared player in home sov can evade a hostile every time.
It doesn't matter if it is a fleet, or a single frigate.
And if it threatens the structures, the pilots can choose to leave the area.

When you can choose not to fight, it became consensual.
Oh stop talking utter rubbish.
You keep jumping back to the same BS which can all be boiled down to "Read my idea about nuking local it is da best and anything else is just crying". Get over yourself aready, your idea is terrible.
AFK players are AFK and should NOT be able to affect the game. THE END. THAT IS ALL.
Stop trying to make it sound like some massive game changer when it's absolutely nothing except a boost to the diversity. To be honest. Just take away null, take away WH and take away low sec. Since all you want is everything to HAVE to be done in high sec, and everywhere else to just be an arena of PVP, let just remove them and chuck in arenas where you can just jump into pvp from a station console.

Utter rubbish == "I cannot refute this idea, so I will resort to commenting my opinions".
Obviously I dislike hearing mean things... you wound me sir.

To the underlined part:
Your assumption that they are AFK is the very thing that they want.
Clearly, however, you don't believe they are actually AFK. You pointed out how you would not be "fooled" by them into undocking.
You also did not contest the idea that an AFK player can never hurt you.
Since an AFK player is no threat, then they are already removed from the game, effectively.

YOU are crying about the uncertainty, and desire to avoid risk.
YOU are saying you won't leave your safety while they are present.
By adding these together, YOU are saying you want the game changed to tell you when you are safe, with no uncertainty, so you can operate with known flawless intel able to warn you when actual danger presents itself.

YOU are saying EVE is currently unbalanced, because the change you want has no accompanying change to maintain an existing balance.

I hope you realize, you are sounding unreasonable.
JIeoH Mocc
brotherhood of desman
#2249 - 2013-10-09 13:14:05 UTC  |  Edited by: JIeoH Mocc
Lucas Kell wrote:
JIeoH Mocc wrote:
supernova ranger wrote:

Oh i see that there was a generations shift while i was gone =)

Pray tell, how exactly another player (and an AFK one, to top that) can force you to do anything?

I'll offer you a way out right away - you're feeling forced to do something because you're, hmm... how do i put this... lazy/greedy/otherwise challenged to consider your options, and feel entitled, for some reason, to things you're not?

Because unless you are a moron, you must treat all players as active. We've covered this. Try reading the thread.
To be honest though... if AFK cloakers do absolutely nothing, like you suggest, then where is the downside of warping them away cloaked and marking them as AFK?

Sure thing, covered it all before.
I don't care if you warp someone you think you can flag as AFK, I know for sure that those who will want to refrain from being flagged - will not be flagged. So in the end the worst that can happen is that this would be exploited against the likes of you, the best is that nothing changes.

The downside is you being oblivious to what ever reason thrown in your face, that's why my remark was not aimed at you, but at someone with the same feeling of entitlement who might prove to be less thick, thus promoting the thread beyond repeating the same all over again, just for you.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2250 - 2013-10-09 13:17:25 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
supernova ranger wrote:

Indeed.
And yet Nikk and Teckos complain to no end about low effort mechanics. Funny how they only care about low effort on the side against them. On their side it is fine.

I call BS.

I have repeatedly pointed out how I endorse a method to hunt cloaked ships.
But since that comes with the NEED to make an effort, you reject it.

You want your current free intel, AND a means to evict unwanted hostiles, despite how overpowering that makes sov holding against anything but a blob fleet intending to reinforce structures.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2251 - 2013-10-09 13:20:16 UTC
NightmareX wrote:
Debora Tsung wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

And that's the point.

It's not affecting mine, I cannot presume to speak for others.

I always assume logged out players are littered everywhere, and could pop back in any moment.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2252 - 2013-10-09 15:17:36 UTC
Debora Tsung wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

And that's the point.

You are doing all the stuff. You are the one docking up, you are the one switching to another system, you are the one complaining.

And You are the one that claims an afk player is doing something when in fact that is impossible to be true.
If that's the case, and AFK players have NO EFFECT, the I have 2 questions:
1. Why do people continue to AFK cloak?
2. Why do you care if their ability to AFK cloak is removed?

You can;t have it both ways. Either they have an effect and that's what you want to keep, or the have no effect and you are arguing against a change that affects nothing.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2253 - 2013-10-09 15:18:49 UTC
Debora Tsung wrote:
Face it, so long as there is not a complete overhaul of the entire mechanic, from resource acquisition to local there won't be any satisfying solution.

Afterthought:

As long as players will be able to disrupt the ressource aquisition of other players there will be complaints about that. And everytime the complaining player will present himself as the hapeless victim of a faulty game mechanic that should be fixed.
Then propose a solution that is balanced and doesn't break several parts of the game just so your hatred of local is resolved.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2254 - 2013-10-09 15:21:13 UTC
Maximus Aerelius wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
This just sounds like more of this "alliances must spend all day every day defending themselves from tiny groups" theory. ITS A GAME, NOT A CAREER. Why should a group that wants to own sov have to keep defensive fleets up 24/7 just to hold it. I know on paper TO YOU it sounds like a great idea, but it would kill off sov null.

If you think that then that "Sov Holding Alliance" doesn't deserve to hold that territory and should be freed from the burden of having to provide "defensive fleets up 24/7 just to hold it."

It's a game and it has consequences...you want to hold a region 24/7 with all the rewards it brings then you have to defend it 24/7 or risk the loss...don't have the man power then sov null isn't for you and best go elsewhere or roam like PL (I believe they hold no sov or didn't).
Don't be fuckin ridiculous.
No part of the game should require people to play the game as a career. If they should, then ALL players should have to treat the game as a career. You want to be able to do nothing yourself, but make sure big alliances have to work 24/7 to do anything. To be honest, I don;t even have to argue that, because CCP are not so stupid that they would put in a change that makes that the case.

This is a game people, not a job.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2255 - 2013-10-09 15:26:17 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Judith Frozenvoid wrote:
"AFK players being able to shut down whole sections of space."

AFK players are not "shutting down space". This is in your mind. If they are truly AFK they can do nothing to you.. You are allowing them to have control over you through your fear. CCP should REMOVE them from Local Chat so you don't see them.. then only the active players will "shut down your efforts"

you'll still complain but at least you'll be more honest about your motives.
We've covered this. So many times.
You can't know they are truly AFK can you? Which is my WHOLE point. I don't even want to KILL afk cloakers, I just want them marked afk and warped to deadspace cloaked while AFK.

Once they are no longer visible in local they can no longer have the threat effect because you don't know they are there. We have gone over this too. AFK cloaking works because of local. This what makes AFK cloaking and local as an intel tool inextricable linked.

EXCEPT REMOVING LOCAL BREAKS A LOT OF OTHER THINGS.
Wow, how do you even manage to get dressed on your own?

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2256 - 2013-10-09 15:31:32 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
supernova ranger wrote:

Indeed.

I call BS.

I have repeatedly pointed out how I endorse a method to hunt cloaked ships.
But since that comes with the NEED to make an effort, you reject it.

You want your current free intel, AND a means to evict unwanted hostiles, despite how overpowering that makes sov holding against anything but a blob fleet intending to reinforce structures.

Hahaha, yeah all you want is free and easy kills with no ability to defend against you without costing thousands of manhours and billions of isk.
You want solo players and small groups to beat alliances without having to put in any effort
Well guess what buddy, it's not going to happen. You either need to put in some effort or continue to fail. I'll carry on as is, moving when a cloaker appears, happily enjoying my game, while you can continue to cry for years on end about how you hate local. You want to refuse to put in any other changes simply because I disagree with your dumb idea, that's fine, but its clear from that fact that the majority of individuals in this thread that have been anti your idea, and the mountains of previous "kill local" threads that you are in the minority. So continue to misquote people and continue to try to twist words to your favour as much as you want. It just shows that your idea is utterly useless and you are unable to evolve it into a workable plan.

Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#2257 - 2013-10-09 15:39:44 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:

You can;t have it both ways. Either they have an effect and that's what you want to keep, or the have no effect and you are arguing against a change that affects nothing.

1. They do it because You provide them with the effect they want. They themselves do nothing.
2. Because as You stated many many many times before, You cannot know if they are truly afk or not.

And that other stuff You said doesn't even make sense to me, who wants what both ways?

Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#2258 - 2013-10-09 15:46:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Debora Tsung
Lucas Kell wrote:
Debora Tsung wrote:
Face it, so long as there is not a complete overhaul of the entire mechanic, from resource acquisition to local there won't be any satisfying solution.

Afterthought:

As long as players will be able to disrupt the ressource aquisition of other players there will be complaints about that. And everytime the complaining player will present himself as the hapeless victim of a faulty game mechanic that should be fixed.
Then propose a solution that is balanced and doesn't break several parts of the game just so your hatred of local is resolved.

Who hates Local?

Who said that?

What are you talking about? Shocked

EDIT: JK, no I do nothate local. But You cannot remove one thing without fixing the other.

It's easy, really.

Semi perma cloaking (A.K.A. AFK Cloaking) is a tool. It's being used to great effect nearly all regions of space (certain Hisec Systems included) and extensively.

And for a reason.

Local.

Local is the system mechanic that provides instantaneous intel so long as the system is not too crowded. And currently the only way to disrupt that intel is to place somebody in that system. for a very long time. You cannot know if the guy is afk because nobody, and I mean really nobody wants you to know.

Forget uncertainty, forget risk, forget anything that has anything to with "ganking da juicy minahs". ganking miners and ratters in nullsec is a mere tool to weaken the enemies supply lines, but there are better ways than some cloaky alt lurking for hours and hours in one system. Really.

The only reason AFK cloaking exists is because it currently is the only way to dilute the intel provided by the local mechanic.

The effort of placing one guy in that system, create a safe spot, and sit there and watch the system for hours upon hours with no end in sight.... just for the mere possibility that some ppor sod in his raven or drake undocks and doesn't stay aligned the whole time... Who would ever consider that "no effort"? That's hilariously bad.

Somebody had to pay the plex for that cloaked al sitting there. Shocked

But it's ok, I like local, I can diss people there and and have fun with random guys, we usually have a great laugh afterwards.

And it's ok because I COULD (that's not to say UI would, I only have this account) sit in a system cloaked up all day, doing something suefull for my corp and harmfull for my enemies.

[to be continued]

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2259 - 2013-10-09 16:00:45 UTC
Debora Tsung wrote:
1. They do it because You provide them with the effect they want. They themselves do nothing.
2. Because as You stated many many many times before, You cannot know if they are truly afk or not.

And that other stuff You said doesn't even make sense to me, who wants what both ways?
I mean, you state that they don;t have an effect, so therefore requests for their removal is pointless, then in the same breath you state that they should not be removed. Why should they not be removed if they do nothing? Surely if won't affect you at all?

Debora Tsung wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Debora Tsung wrote:

Afterthought:

Who hates Local?

Who said that?

What are you talking about? Shocked

You are supporting Nikk and Teckos who want local removed. You even state yourself that local needs an overhaul. Well the only way to overhaul local is to change who appears in it. You can stick to the idea of "the whole systems needs a change, not just a part of it", but that gets nowhere. It's too big a change to do ll at once, so much like everything else that gets overhauled it needs to e an incremental process. I feel that decoupling AFK cloaking from local is a good start with an immediate benefit and no negative effects to active players.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#2260 - 2013-10-09 16:01:19 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Debora Tsung wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

And that's the point.

You are doing all the stuff. You are the one docking up, you are the one switching to another system, you are the one complaining.

And You are the one that claims an afk player is doing something when in fact that is impossible to be true.

Answers:
1. Uncertainty. Like in poker, the tactic is a bluff. You don't know what they will play, and you either call their bluff or fold.
By refusing to play, you fold every time. This can be disappointing to those actually seeking combat, but is perfect for those actively supporting opposing powers, intent on harming your alliance on a different level.

2. Why do we care if any game element is removed? It removes options for play, and fewer options means less interesting interaction for all involved.

Your desire to absolutely protect your PvE assets, in a game where they have value based on how much risk they possess, is contradictory.