These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Issues, Workarounds & Localization

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

possible fix for Closed Socket error.

First post
Author
Miss Doggy
Zahadu
#101 - 2012-07-03 22:52:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Miss Doggy
I just started having this problem now myself. Socket closed, do you wish to reconnect.

Many years ago in Eve this exact same problem went on for a couple of months as I recall, with ccp constantly saying "it's your ISP" until they finally fixed it.

It could be my ISP or the internet or something but 3 disconnects in 20 minutes almost losing a 3 billion isk ship isn't fun to me.
Not fun at all, not one bit.

And it was only one one client.
The other client was fine.
arcca jeth
Dark Alliance
#102 - 2012-07-04 03:10:24 UTC
well it was gone and now it's back cannot stay connected for more than a minute or two, just started within the last 20 minutes yay Roll
SC0T1SH WARRIOR
Zero For 0wned
#103 - 2012-07-04 13:56:40 UTC  |  Edited by: SC0T1SH WARRIOR
it's still happening.

Already lost one ship to this, which was petitioned and rejected. X

it never happened before Inferno, and now it is happening every time.

Ping statistics for 87.237.38.200:
Packets: Sent = 214, Received = 212, Lost = 2 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 28ms, Maximum = 251ms, Average = 35ms
time=34ms

[Tracert
2 10 ms 12 ms 11 ms linl-geam-1a-ge218.network.virginmedia.net [81.97.51.205]
3 12 ms 12 ms 10 ms sgyl-core-1b-tenge73.network.virginmedia.net [62.30.251.57]
4 12 ms 12 ms 15 ms sgyl-core-2b-ae2-0.network.virginmedia.net [195.182.178.94]
5 18 ms 18 ms 15 ms leed-bb-1b-ae5-0.network.virginmedia.net [81.97.48.81]
6 * * 21 ms popl-bb-1a-as1-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.175.130]
7 22 ms 19 ms * popl-tmr-1-ae4-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.159.2]
8 28 ms 29 ms 29 ms amst-ic-1-as0-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.175.6]
9 34 ms 36 ms 36 ms nl-rt-dc2-ice-ir01.kpn.net [195.69.144.89]
10 33 ms 28 ms 36 ms rt-rou-1022.nl.eurorings.net [195.190.227.223]
11 42 ms 42 ms 40 ms ldn-s2-rou-1021.UK.eurorings.net [134.222.229.222]
12 46 ms 62 ms 43 ms ldn-s2-rou-1041.UK.eurorings.net [134.222.228.94]
13 29 ms 29 ms 30 ms 134.222.109.173
14 29 ms 30 ms 30 ms srv245-e.ccp.cc [87.237.36.245]
15 28 ms 31 ms 32 ms srv248-e.ccp.cc [87.237.36.248]
16 57 ms 32 ms 37 ms srv200-g.ccp.cc [87.237.38.200]

Trace complete.

Dont mind me,  just touching your stuff.

Messoroz
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#104 - 2012-07-04 17:04:29 UTC
It looks like the ball is being dropped on CCP's end. Maybe rejection of packets due to the usually longer route from US for whatever reason.
Drago Palermus
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#105 - 2012-07-04 19:42:04 UTC
This is happening to me now as well, after having never happened in several years of playing. Now it's four times in just over an hour :-|
ROTAMaverickRRBR
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#106 - 2012-07-05 00:47:44 UTC
Hello guys, i may discovered something interesting here.

The problem occurs when I'm logged in eve, and my girlfriend access the internet on her iPhone on the same wi-fi. Every time she try to download any page or content, the "socket was closed" problem happens.

im not joking, every time she does that. Eve crash.

Bismarck Koskanaiken
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#107 - 2012-07-05 02:37:39 UTC
Reading through the posts it seems that a lot of people think it has something to do with the Inferno patch, but apparently this problem has presisted for years ..maybe Inferno did something? I don't know.

I am now too being disconnected with the socket closed error message multiple times a day and it seems to be getting worse. This started about a couple of weeks ago. The error never happened before Inferno, or if it did it wasn't enough of a problem for me to remember.

SC0T1SH WARRIOR wrote:
it's still happening.

Already lost one ship to this, which was petitioned and rejected. X

I too have lost a ship to this, but didn't try petitioning it and seeing that yours got rejected I don't think I'll try.
Bismarck Koskanaiken
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#108 - 2012-07-05 02:41:53 UTC
ROTAMaverickRRBR wrote:

The problem occurs when I'm logged in eve, and my girlfriend access the internet on her iPhone on the same wi-fi. Every time she try to download any page or content, the "socket was closed" problem happens.

Actually you might be on to something, most of the time I get the socket closed error message is when I'm looking something up on the browser not associated with Eve. I'll try to stop to see if that helps.. though still only most of the time seems to happen when viewing another web page, but still some of the times it just happens when I'm warping somewhere, or otherwise in game not using anything else outside of the game and no one else using my router for internet access. So, this might be a quick fix, I don't believe it is the overall problem. But still great advice and will try it out :)
Jaxom Silpheed
State War Academy
Caldari State
#109 - 2012-07-05 05:32:02 UTC
I'm back, because the errors are back.

Nothing has changed. At all. Earlier this week I could play perfectly fine, was logged in for a number of hours, completing missions etc. Now, today, I can't play without getting a socket error within about 5 minutes. I have done nothing, and my ISP has done nothing - I work for them, so I know for certain.

As for the out of game other net usage theory, I'm the only one using my connection, and my in/out of game habits have not changed. Have steam open, have a chat open, have a browser (firefox) open, and have VLC playing some form of media. None of this changed, yet the socket error returned.

The only thing that did change is today there was an update which I had to download. What day it was released I'm not sure, been out of town the past couple of days on business, and not been able to play or log in.
Tex' Winchester
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#110 - 2012-07-05 13:55:40 UTC
This begins to be very annoying.

Yesterday after the downtime, there was a new patch. And somehow i could play without socket closed till today.

Then today there was a new patch after downtime, and now the socket closes after only a few minutes.

What was in the patch yesterday that kept the game running and todays patch changed it back?

I might of course be wrong and the game only worked fine by accident yesterday,

but maybe the information might help CCP to find the bug.

So CCP if you read this; please do your best to fix this, we´re here to support you, and help with any information we can get.
Archinquisitor
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#111 - 2012-07-05 16:06:21 UTC
Confirming I have closed sockets about every 5 minutes since today
(and probably up to 4 days back as I have been offline those days.)

My ping tracer is fine, my internet connection is stable, and this is a
clean system which runs Eve and Eve alone (okay, Teamspeak and
Mumble, too)

CCP must realize that it is their software that is bugged.
Please dont send us talking to our ISPs, thank you.
Aelita
CHON
THE R0NIN
#112 - 2012-07-05 16:17:03 UTC
I patched today my client and bam I got this too. I run 6 accounts from 3 computers and disconnect is ramdom, but often. Clients get D/Ced after few seconds or after 5 minutes it is completely random. Nothing did changed on my side, same ISP, router and ethernet switch. Until today's patch I run EVE rock solid. Clients never get disconnected.

I hope this will solve soon

TIA
Game Over
The Kung Foo Chickens
#113 - 2012-07-05 17:35:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Game Over
Have never had this problem before! Not once. Then did two things before going on EVE today. Installed a new router and Installed the new patch.

Getting the 2 boxes saying a socket was closed and asked to either quit or restart every 30 seconds or it seems everytime I click on a menu button or interactive tool.
I am having no problems connecting to anything but EVE.

I will go back to the old router and see if this fixes the problem, if it does then hopefully it will eliminate the possibility of it being the new patch and would point more towards the idea of it being a router/setting issue.
Game Over
The Kung Foo Chickens
#114 - 2012-07-05 19:06:38 UTC
Ok, so went back to my old router and it seems to be running perfectly again.

Hopefully someone can use this information to help solve the fix or at least find out the cause of the issue and whether it is related to all you're similar problems.

Take care all, hope you're all on trouble free soon!
Daneel Trevize
Give my 11percent back
#115 - 2012-07-06 10:17:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Daneel Trevize
Just stumbled across this thread, thought you'd like to know how this issue developed on Sisi months before it went to TQ. Don't say I didn't warn you. I put a heads-up in the MT thread in GD too.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1297470#post1297470

Short points being:
It was only happening to my Sisi clients (TQ ran 3 clients stable during these issues), it was very bad with clients disconnecting within seconds and not even getting through char login, it was only for specific builds of Sisi, and restarting my router helped fit it. Basically it's totally CCP's fault, they're doing something with their protocols & client connections that's tripping up the fairly common routers, and once it's triggered that issue, you need to restart the router to help clear it. I know that's not technical, and the best solution is waiting for a better client build, but that's what I found from testing.

Pings/traceroutes and the minor issues found there did not see to relate to the problem at all. New Sisi builds resolved the problem until they brought it back again, clearly something was under development.

IDK if they're using some undefined part of the IP spec and some routers are handling it differently or what, but in my experience it has nothing to do with whatever other software you have installed (be that firewall/AV, Steam, OS) as the primary cause.
Anhenka
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#116 - 2012-07-07 14:59:50 UTC
As of the last patch the "we realized bombs are broke them so we broke them in a different way that should prevent exploitation but that we didn't really intend" one, I'm completely dead in the water. Before that the error, while occurring maybe once a day, was bearable.

Socket closures on login screen, or within of minute of logging in. for every client.
reset router, tried VPN, nothing works.

And there's a brawl happening in a few hours I'm going to miss...meh.
Niobea Aenir
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#117 - 2012-07-07 20:35:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Niobea Aenir
I'm having the same issue.

Reseting router, turning off steam etc... nothing of it helped. My internet connection is OK... EVE is unplayable for me :( I've currently returned after 6month being inactive and it prevents me to enjoy this game...

I hope it will be fixed soon.

FIXED: My issue was fixed with dongrading from w8 x64 to w7 x64. I don't have any problems so far.
Shaidon
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#118 - 2012-07-08 23:03:23 UTC
Bismarck Koskanaiken wrote:
ROTAMaverickRRBR wrote:

Actually you might be on to something, most of the time I get the socket closed error message is when I'm looking something up on the browser not associated with Eve. I'll try to stop to see if that helps.. though still only most of the time seems to happen when viewing another web page, but still some of the times it just happens when I'm warping somewhere, or otherwise in game not using anything else outside of the game and no one else using my router for internet access. So, this might be a quick fix, I don't believe it is the overall problem. But still great advice and will try it out :)

I think I have identified the problem at my end. As soon as I bypass the Wi-Fi router (usually have a cable from one of it's ports) and plugged in my modem directly, the problem disappeared.
I've checked and re-checked the firewall in the router so not sure why it's messing with me.
As soon as I plugged in the router again I got the error within 5 mins.

Haven't been running with this setup long enough to confirm this is the problem, but I am confident...
Shaidon
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#119 - 2012-07-09 23:03:27 UTC
I have now tried completely disabling my routers firewall. Still get the error.
But as soon as I bypass it there's no issue at all.

Not sure if it's my router or the fact that it is a Wi-Fi router. Seems very odd.
Using a D-link DIR-600 Wireless router with TCP cable ports built in.

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#120 - 2012-07-10 00:00:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Vincent Athena
In general I do not have this issue. But I am on vacation now and the hotel I am at has a slightly flaky internet. And Im getting "socket closed" every few minutes.

My guess is EvE has become very sensitive to any internet interruption. Although it is true CCP cannot control packet loss over the internet, they can control how the client reacts to the issue. Right now it is anything but graceful.

Edit: My wireless signal is 4 out of 4 bars, so I got a good signal. So maybe the issue is loss of packets going from the client to the server.

Edit2: This is a little odd. I called up the hotel IT guys to see if they could help me get a better connection. But whenever I talk to them on the hotel phone, the problem goes away. So I turned on TeamSpeak and let it run.

And after 9 hours: No "closed socket" error.

My theory: The hotel phone is a digital phone. It shares communication infrastructure with the internet connection to the hotel. That infrastructure gives higher priority to the hotel when there is some form of continuous communication going on, like a phone or TS. By running TS I'm holding the door open, allowing easier communication between the Eve client and the servers.

I think my fix may be peculiar to the location I am at and the hardware the hotel happens to be using. I doubt it will work for all but a tiny few.

Again this points to an issue: The Eve client and the server are too sensitive to a poor connection.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction