These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Everything's Gonna Be Alright Distance

Author
Xavi Mendosa
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1 - 2017-05-11 04:31:02 UTC
I'm trying to place bookmarks for some important places like PI offices or gates. I need to see if there is a ship (uncloaked of course) near the place from overview screen. I was placing bookmarks to 180km away but I realized this distance is not enough for my epithal because some ships can easly close this distance before I align to back and warp. What is the maximum distance to see ships in my overview screen?
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#2 - 2017-05-11 05:43:06 UTC
welcome to grid fu google that for more in depth knowledge. The default grid size (how far you can see) is prettty damn big these days. I think the default is something like 5,000km, now I have no idea if that is radius or diameter

of course if you just need to see if any ships are near by you can always try using the directional scanner, this lets you look off up to a bit over 14au in any direction in a variety of scan angles.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Alasdan Helminthauge
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2017-05-11 08:26:16 UTC
80 kkm I think.
Magnus Jax
#4 - 2017-05-11 09:22:18 UTC
You want your BM to be 250+km. This allows you to warp to the gate at range from your BM, would you want to, and still warp back to the BM. If you have to account for align time & distance travelled then that means ~300 is about right. It also buys you time in case you have an inty burning towards you if you'd be uncovered.
Murkalael Arbinger
Nullvoid Tech
#5 - 2017-05-11 11:58:12 UTC
The gallente Talos have a target range of 80KM, other ships might have even bigger. When I started this game about 6 months ago I was told 300KM away from any structure was a good warpout for undocking and docking.
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2017-05-11 12:24:13 UTC
iirc the grid size is now 8000 KM by default. You can stretch grids but I believe that is the default.

As mentioned knowing how to use directional scan properly can get you nearly the same result from up to 14 AU away. One of the force recons is immune to D scan but as far as I know every other ship in game that is not cloaked will show up on a D scan.

As with all things in this game I recommend that new players not take our word on anything. You should try everything out with friends. Having someone tell you something and having experienced it for yourself are two different things. If you want to learn how to do something well the best bet is to play around with it in somewhat safe circumstances so that under pressure you have familiarity with it.

So in this case you could go to a PI office in high sec and set up a bunch of bookmarks at various distances and have a friend warp to the customs office while you are there. Maybe you could start out at 9000 KM away and then warp to a BM just under 8000 KM then 5000 KM etc...

Also you could play around with D scan and work out how you go about finding someone in a solar system with D scan and warping to them. This will not only help you understand how to check your customs office but also how other players will find you sitting at that customs office.

TL;dr
You can play around with stuff in safe-ish circumstances or learn through ship loss but in the end experience is the only real purveyor of knowledge.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Professor JinMine
Project Fruit House
#7 - 2017-05-11 12:59:04 UTC
It will be an one-time only solution. Escape once, you will see combat probes the next time.
Have a cloaky scout warp to the bookmark before you send in your Epithal.
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#8 - 2017-05-11 15:52:48 UTC
Professor JinMine wrote:
It will be an one-time only solution. Escape once, you will see combat probes the next time.
Have a cloaky scout warp to the bookmark before you send in your Epithal.

yea that is the other issue. if you use the same spot too many times it is very likely a dedicated hunter will figure it out and also have that spot.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

mkint
#9 - 2017-05-11 16:07:49 UTC
The hard cap on lock range used to be 200km I think. I think it might have been bumped up when the grid sizes increased, though there really are only like 2 or 3 hulls that can shoot that far, and none tackle that far, so I'd say 200km perch at the very minimum. Grid size is radius, which makes things easy. Regardless, a fast frig can get pretty good distances pretty quick (keep in mind, the harder it is to put up your perch the harder it will be for someone to just burn to you before you can warp.) Grid sizes should be big enough to get perch bookmarks with dropping a bookmark while warping, just be careful about keeping your perch off the warp path because of bubbles in null, and decloaking elsewhere.

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Jedidiah Togenada
State War Academy
Caldari State
#10 - 2017-05-12 00:20:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Jedidiah Togenada
How short of a distance can someone use their warp, and not have to use prop?
Can a hunter sit far enough away to actually see you, and then warp immediately to your location right after uncloaking?.

I'm thinking about if I pull up to a data/relic site that a hunter has staked out.
mkint
#11 - 2017-05-12 04:46:30 UTC
Jedidiah Togenada wrote:
How short of a distance can someone use their warp, and not have to use prop?
Can a hunter sit far enough away to actually see you, and then warp immediately to your location right after uncloaking?.

I'm thinking about if I pull up to a data/relic site that a hunter has staked out.

Warpable's include bookmarks, containers, fleet mates, a few things like that. It does not include ships that are not piloted by fleet mates, though it does include probe results. Minimum warp distance is 150km. He'd have to probe you out to warp to you, which is actually really easy for him to do if it's a deliberate trap. In this case, d-scan is your friend.

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Kathern Aurilen
#12 - 2017-05-12 09:52:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Kathern Aurilen
Magnus Jax wrote:
You want your BM to be 250+km. This allows you to warp to the gate at range from your BM, would you want to, and still warp back to the BM. If you have to account for align time & distance travelled then that means ~300 is about right. It also buys you time in case you have an inty burning towards you if you'd be uncovered.
I never really could get my Warp started unless I was out over a 1000k.

I would put a bookmark at 1,500 K that way you and Warp and see what's on grid at the gate if nothing is there, warp to the gate.

I've been out 2000 K off my local trade and still see my hub and all the ships on the grid.

Plus I don't think the warp engines will engage under 1000k, that's the distance for instawarp l use out of a station.

No cuts, no butts, no coconuts!

Forum alt, unskilled in the ways of pewpew!

Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#13 - 2017-05-13 05:52:23 UTC
Kathern Aurilen wrote:
Magnus Jax wrote:
You want your BM to be 250+km. This allows you to warp to the gate at range from your BM, would you want to, and still warp back to the BM. If you have to account for align time & distance travelled then that means ~300 is about right. It also buys you time in case you have an inty burning towards you if you'd be uncovered.
I never really could get my Warp started unless I was out over a 1000k.

I would put a bookmark at 1,500 K that way you and Warp and see what's on grid at the gate if nothing is there, warp to the gate.

I've been out 2000 K off my local trade and still see my hub and all the ships on the grid.

Plus I don't think the warp engines will engage under 1000k, that's the distance for instawarp l use out of a station.



The point where the 'approach' button stops working and 'warp to' takes over is 150km.

That does not mean you should rely upon an exactly 150km bookmark.

At Jita I have multiple different instaundocks at the 3000-8000km range, plus a very very long instaundock (well into 5 figures) that is only ever used for extreme cargo (e.g. if I was leaving the station with a researched dreadnought BPO).

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com