These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Some EVE players can not separate themselves from the game.

First post First post First post
Author
Chopper Rollins
hahahlolspycorp
Brave Collective
#501 - 2014-05-06 10:51:56 UTC
Solecist Project's Alt wrote:
Chopper Rollins wrote:
On another tab i'm reading about some awful things happening to people in Syria.
Then i click back to here and refresh, as posts arrive.
The contrast is simply incredible.


It's not legitimite to judge the people this way.


It's not #FirstWorldProblems.


Recognize the fact that Reykjaviks property intentionally got damaged
and there is a cost involved in the repairment of this property.
...


Dude, dead women and children, please.






Goggles. Making me look good. Making you look good.

virm pasuul
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#502 - 2014-05-06 10:58:16 UTC
Where people are making accusations in this thread is against a very clear message from CCP to stop and let them take care of it. There is a serious issue that affects us all, CCP are dealing with it. Speculation on this issue can only end in tears.
As much as I think some of the mods are a bit too trigger happy when it comes to closing threads, this thread should be closed, it's only bringing out the worst in people.
Tor Norman
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#503 - 2014-05-06 11:12:29 UTC
Maria Firn wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
So, there's a couple of things going to happen in this thread right now:

  • First - People are going to stop pointing fingers and blaming people. CCP will investigate and take any action against game accounts, along with any legal action that we feel necessary. This is already in progress.
  • Second - This is damage of public property in the City of Reykjavik. The police have been informed, and investigation is ongoing. This is not a laughing matter, and will be dealt with as a criminal offence. We are currently reviewing security footage from a number of surrounding buildings.
  • Third - People will stop attacking the victim of this on our forums. It's not funny, it's not clever. Take your rumor mongering and personal attacks away from our community. If you choose not to, you'll be removed from the community, permanently. It's a simple as that. We will not tolerate victimization.

What's happened is absolutely disgusting. It's an insult to the entire community and is clearly the work a person who believes that behavior in a virtual world is a valid reason to make a real life personal attack on someone, and deface public property.




I don't see why your so surprised ? in a game which harbours the worst in humans, rewards bad behaviour, applauds underhand deceit, then surely this is the norm ?

Frankly, I find comments such as these disturbing. EVE is a game. This game does something pretty unique in that it encourages us to play the bad guy in a multiplayer setting. This is done as it's a Role Playing Game (RPG) and is one of the few game where we, as players, are encouraged to place our real-world personas to one side and pick up a new role to fit whichever one of our characters we may be playing.

CCP expects us to make a clear distinction between the fictional roles we play within the EVE universe, the events that occur to those characters within the EVE universe and the real world.

I talk about EVE trading and general space violence in my blog.

For the ISK and the yarr!

Kiandoshia
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#504 - 2014-05-06 11:21:14 UTC
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
Weaselior wrote:
you've got to be quite an ass to be the unlikable jerk in an interaction between you and xenuria

good going, internet dude, you actually made xenuria look good (relatively speaking), nobody thought that was possible


Of course, goons defacing the monument with their logo was all in good fun?


It was a sticker. Nobody went and scratched around on the thing. Besides, how do you know it was a member of Goons? ^^
Kaivar Lancer
Doomheim
#505 - 2014-05-06 11:21:33 UTC
Whoever did this...

NOT COOL.
wafflemuncher
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#506 - 2014-05-06 11:35:08 UTC
theres significant damage to several parts of the monument

personally i consider this and the several reported assaults on devs and security staff disgusting.

last year Hilmar complimented all of us on our good behaviour every year, and now we get this.

if we want to continue to have the warm welcome we enjoy in reykjavik this vandalism and violence has to be dealt with harshly.
Dex Sudaka
Perkone
Caldari State
#507 - 2014-05-06 11:35:47 UTC
Sad to see that happen. I hope it gets fixed as good as new. I wonder how long until we see the first graffiti. Loads of it in Reykjavik. The monument won't stay shiny forever but we can only work hard to keep it as good as new.

Probably the worst of the most pathetic pilots in New Eden.

Tuttomenui II
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#508 - 2014-05-06 11:37:03 UTC
Marlona Sky wrote:
So... PLEX for tile replacement? Unless the guy who did this is offering to pay for a new one out of his own pocket that is.


Or they could Auction off the plate. Or **** off the tin foil hat crowd by giving the plate to Xenuria. I'd hate to see the plate destroyed . Lot of possibilities.
Medalyn Isis
Doomheim
#509 - 2014-05-06 11:40:55 UTC
Chopper Rollins wrote:
Solecist Project's Alt wrote:
Chopper Rollins wrote:
On another tab i'm reading about some awful things happening to people in Syria.
Then i click back to here and refresh, as posts arrive.
The contrast is simply incredible.


It's not legitimite to judge the people this way.


It's not #FirstWorldProblems.


Recognize the fact that Reykjaviks property intentionally got damaged
and there is a cost involved in the repairment of this property.
...


Dude, dead women and children, please.







So because some parts of the world are so backward that they commit atrocities such as those in Syria, we should all judge our own country's people's behaviour by their low standard? I could use your argument to justify practically anything, as there is almost always something else worse going on the world.

That's not how it works. There is no excuse for defacing this monument.
Kaoraku Shayiskhun
Simple Designs
#510 - 2014-05-06 11:46:53 UTC
I just simply do not understand that drama, this is so clear...

The money, what we pay for the game is not our property to ask/decide what they do with it. If they want to build a monument, they build it, and saying this is waste of money is epicly arrogant. And the monument is CCP's property too, so you're not allowed to put even a sticker on it, because it is not your's.
And all of those, who think they have any right to use somebody else's property should remove from community and society.
Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan
Auric Transition
#511 - 2014-05-06 11:50:28 UTC
Medalyn Isis wrote:

So because some parts of the world are so backward that they commit atrocities such as those in Syria, we should all judge our own country's people's behaviour by their low standard? I could use your argument to justify practically anything, as there is almost always something else worse going on the world.

That's not how it works. There is no excuse for defacing this monument.


Agreed, though I cant really think of many countries who havent done similar things to themselves at one time or another

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Medalyn Isis
Doomheim
#512 - 2014-05-06 12:11:28 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Medalyn Isis wrote:

So because some parts of the world are so backward that they commit atrocities such as those in Syria, we should all judge our own country's people's behaviour by their low standard? I could use your argument to justify practically anything, as there is almost always something else worse going on the world.

That's not how it works. There is no excuse for defacing this monument.


Agreed, though I cant really think of many countries who havent done similar things to themselves at one time or another

Indeed, hopefully Syria will come out of this like many other countries afflicted by civil war have done.
Triskian
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#513 - 2014-05-06 12:30:39 UTC
Considering how extremely upset some people in this thread are, I think it bears mentioning that if the person or persons involved are caught, that it is in fact not okay to obliterate their names from the monument in some kind of revenge. Nor is it okay to enact your own justice upon them in other ways. CCP is handling it, you don't need to do anything other than be outraged or come forward with information. I've gotten that vibe from some of the posts in this thread that some random person might take it upon themselves to do something equally stupid to what's already happened. Many of the posts in this thread could very well be scaring the vandal off from stepping forward due to fear of retribution that does not fit the crime.

I noticed that this year's fanfest was far more violent than last year's. Brawls at Nora's, cop cars and paddy wagons filled up with drunk assholes, and people getting the crap kicked out of them over pubcrawl flags. Punching someone out over a strip of cloth, breaking their nose, and kicking them when they're on the ground is (this happened, I don't know who it happened to, but it wasn't a pretty sight), in my opinion, far worse than what happened to the monument. The vandalism might be explained partially by the general attitude of some folks who play the game and can't distinguish reality from internet space and consumption of alcohol, but there is never any excuse for violently attacking someone unless it's self-defence. The night of the Party At the Top of the World I saw the cops tossing people into the paddy wagon almost wholesale, something that did not happen last year. From what I saw, despite there being far fewer people, there were a lot more people getting arrested for being ******* drunks than last year.

A lot of vandalism (putting your name on the walls in the washrooms of a bar is vandalism too, folks), fighting, and general assholery happened this year. The monument vandal should be ashamed, but we should also be ashamed. Maybe we should appologize as a community to the city of Reykjavic for our behaviour and consider ourselves lucky that they're letting us come back next year. We can do better, we have done better, and we should do better.
Tricia Killnu
The Horn
#514 - 2014-05-06 12:41:02 UTC
I am more concerned with the future of the monument as sadly I can see this type of thing happening over and over.

Eve is a game and what happens in the game should stay in the game, but not everyone is able to keep it that way and fail by forgetting that eve is a game not real life.

Granted those types of people shouldn't be playing video games as they cant separate the 2 realities but alas they do.

Are there any future plans for surveillance or some other form of barrier to stop such nonsense going forward? I mean I assume there will be, but assumptions does not facts make.

This is all really silly to be honest regardless of who did it and their motivations. Eve is a game and what ever grudges are created in game should stay there in game.

Sometimes you just have to realized you undocked and you suck. . .

wafflethief
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#515 - 2014-05-06 12:47:41 UTC
the violence must stop.

right now.

the people involved banned and prosecuted.

We enjoy a very warm welcome in Reykjavik thanks to our good behaviour. Massive signage up everywhere, special offers, look even at the QR code hunt that so many places participated in.

If the violence repeats next year, If CCP dont deal with it right now, RIGHT THE **** NOW, will that continue?

I dont think it will. Bars wont want anything to do with us if we're being violent. Even if its only a minority.

Nowhere will put up the big signage that we appreciate if it gets linked with violence.

Nowhere will participate in events like the QR hunt if it gets linked with violence.

This is completely unnaceptable. Its disgusting

IT MUST STOP

AND IT MUST BE PUNISHED



be any kind of ******* you want in game. but when we meet in Reykjavik every year, be friends. even with those who may have wronged you. drink with the blues/red/neuts and remember that we are all players in this universe that all of us together have built on the foundations given by CCP.

This is our world. This is our Game. It doesnt matter when we gather top celebrate it who flies with who, what matters is that we have all made our own mark in New Eden, we should be proud of that and respect others for doing the same.

no more vandalism

no more violence

NO MORE
virm pasuul
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#516 - 2014-05-06 12:56:05 UTC
I fear all a barrier will do is remind people for years to come that Eve players were unable to build a monument without their own kind defacing it.
That monument is for all of us including CCP and all the work they have put in over the years. Every time the monument is permanently damaged it reflects on all of us as a community.
The Bo Jangles
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#517 - 2014-05-06 13:03:51 UTC
virm pasuul wrote:
I fear all a barrier will do is remind people for years to come that Eve players were unable to build a monument without their own kind defacing it.
That monument is for all of us including CCP and all the work they have put in over the years. Every time the monument is permanently damaged it reflects on all of us as a community.


I agree. It really is a shame.

Ignoring all these people crying out that the monument was just a waste of money or a marketing ploy, the reality of it is the eve community is special and the monument was a gift to us all. Trouble is the community cannot be trusted and because of one person we've let ourselves down.

I hope the damages can be repaired easily and quickly and that nothing happens like this again.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#518 - 2014-05-06 13:18:50 UTC
The Bo Jangles wrote:
virm pasuul wrote:
I fear all a barrier will do is remind people for years to come that Eve players were unable to build a monument without their own kind defacing it.
That monument is for all of us including CCP and all the work they have put in over the years. Every time the monument is permanently damaged it reflects on all of us as a community.


I agree. It really is a shame.

Ignoring all these people crying out that the monument was just a waste of money or a marketing ploy, the reality of it is the eve community is special and the monument was a gift to us all. Trouble is the community cannot be trusted and because of one person we've let ourselves down.

I hope the damages can be repaired easily and quickly and that nothing happens like this again.


I am just astonished that, throughout the entire process of getting this designed and built, that "scratch protective coating" never came up.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Medalyn Isis
Doomheim
#519 - 2014-05-06 13:23:39 UTC
wafflethief wrote:
the violence must stop.

right now.

the people involved banned and prosecuted.

Who was being violent? That should be an instant ban along with being dealt with as a police matter. It is a shame to hear all these stories coming out now.
Trebor Daehdoow
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#520 - 2014-05-06 13:36:40 UTC
My opinion of the cretin who did this should be obvious.

From a more meta perspective, those who hold that there should not be a line between in-game and out-of-game interactions related to EVE (in particular, defenders of such bullsh*t as the Bonus Room) should perhaps reflect upon their positions. At a certain point, it stops being a game.

That out of the way, I would like to take a moment to thank Xenuria for something he did (he knows what) that started a sequence of events that resulted in much happiness for someone I love. It was just one of those butterfly-effect things EVE is so famous for.

I owe him one.

Private Citizen • CSM in recovery