These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Jester Trek Latest Blog

First post First post
Author
Xuixien
Solar Winds Security Solutions
#6241 - 2014-03-27 20:36:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Xuixien
M1k3y Koontz wrote:
Xuixien wrote:
M1k3y Koontz wrote:


Harassment for the sake of harassment has no benefit to the harasser other than amusement. A ganker profits in game. Killmails. Loot. This "bonus room" has no in game rewards.

If you think that the guy in the recording actually might have gotten his stuff back, you should go check through every other recording of the "bonus room". How many of them actually got their stuff back? How many flipped out and raged, much to the entertainment of the harassers? If any of them did get their stuff back, how long did it take?

And I'd like to mention real quick, this guy got kicked out of Goonswarm, the noted harassers of highsec. Even Goon's standards higher than this.


I guess I'm repeating myself now:

From what I understand, Erotica 1 is running a legit business.

There is a chance for gain during the Bonus Round - the client's gain.

CCP does not say that you have to be the one gaining, do they?

Also, Erotica 1 gains publicity, advertisement, awareness, and future contests from the proceedings of the Bonus Round.

So he is in fact profiting. It's part of this "thing" that he does, a business, a persona, which has generated billions. Not only for himself, but other players.



If we're just going to repeat ourselves, did any "clients" actually gain? If not, it's not a business. Even in casinos people occasionally win, if you can't find an example of someone "winning" the bonus room, it isn't a business.


Yes, as has been repeated to a level that beggars belief, there have been winners of the Bonus Round. One person won 10 billion ISK, to cite one example of a BR I was present in.

Epic Space Cat, Horsegirl, Philanthropist

Erotica 1
Krypteia Operations
#6242 - 2014-03-27 20:36:31 UTC
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
And another business day passes in CCP Iceland with no acknowledgement whatsoever, other that falcon shutting down duplicate threads. Eterne spends his day tweeting about how awesome Fanfest is and commenting on how cute some animae shot also tweeted.

But zero about this scandal, in any way.
I know it will take likely take weeks to make some decision on this, but it is terrible business practice from a PR perspective not to acknowledge there is a crisis.


Read a few pages back. CCP Falcon made a statement. Cut them some slack. It's not like this was penciled into their schedules.

See Bio for isk doubling rules. If you didn't read bio, chances are you funded those who did.

Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#6243 - 2014-03-27 20:39:08 UTC
M1k3y Koontz wrote:
So... examples? What percentage actually get their stuff back.

Hum, I can't remember specific client names, I'm usually too lazy to read them. Generally, the ones who win are funny newer players. Something else that no-one has mentioned yet, is that most clients who come into the bonus room are actually drunk. That's usually the reason they're there in the first place and also the reason I find it hard to sympathise with them, it's also why I have no reservations about making fun of them.
Louis Robichaud
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6244 - 2014-03-27 20:39:19 UTC
I'll be honest with you, I'm not sure where the line is exactly. It doesn't matter though. E1 crossed it by a mile. Anyone with a shred of decency can see that.

That is why all the arguing about minutiae and the exact definition of the law or EULA is quite revealing.

I blog a bit http://hspew.blogspot.ca

Salvos Rhoska
#6245 - 2014-03-27 20:40:03 UTC
Xuixien wrote:
there have been winners of the Bonus Round.


What exactly is required of a non-affiliated participant in order to win?
Berendas
EVE University
Ivy League
#6246 - 2014-03-27 20:40:33 UTC
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
And another business day passes in CCP Iceland with no acknowledgement whatsoever, other that falcon shutting down duplicate threads. Eterne spends his day tweeting about how awesome Fanfest is and commenting on how cute some animae shot also tweeted.

But zero about this scandal, in any way.
I know it will take likely take weeks to make some decision on this, but it is terrible business practice from a PR perspective not to acknowledge there is a crisis.

The thing is, this should not be a crisis, it shouldn't even register on CCP's radar. People getting scammed, and even being invited to voice comms is a regular occurrence. The only reason this is even a thing is because an influential player took it upon himself to sensationalize and exaggerate this whole matter for his own benefit. What CCP should do is lock this thread and say no more on this issue, because in reality this is just business as usual for EVE.
Louis Robichaud
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6247 - 2014-03-27 20:40:54 UTC
Erotica 1 wrote:
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
And another business day passes in CCP Iceland with no acknowledgement whatsoever, other that falcon shutting down duplicate threads. Eterne spends his day tweeting about how awesome Fanfest is and commenting on how cute some animae shot also tweeted.

But zero about this scandal, in any way.
I know it will take likely take weeks to make some decision on this, but it is terrible business practice from a PR perspective not to acknowledge there is a crisis.


Read a few pages back. CCP Falcon made a statement. Cut them some slack. It's not like this was penciled into their schedules.

aand on that point E1 is right. CCP needs to think about this.

I blog a bit http://hspew.blogspot.ca

H aVo K
Tycheon Industries
#6248 - 2014-03-27 20:41:26 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
H aVo K wrote:
It is important that you understand that taking part in an unwinnable game doesn't mean you're being tortured


Then what is the point of the unwinnable game?


That's a question for those that run it.

You've used the word "immaterial" a lot in this thread, one would think that you'd understand what it means.

The fact that those who run the unwinnable game may or may not have desires that could be described as being "perverse" has absolutely no bearing on whether or not the whole experience constitutes torture.

You could say... it's immaterial.
Dave Stark
#6249 - 2014-03-27 20:41:54 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
you've never been to a carnival have you?

Aaah! Nice try at non-sequitor! I'll bite.

They already have his assets before the Bonus Room begins.

There is not one single further space cent to be squeezed out of him during the Bonus Room.

So I ask again:

What is the point of the unwinnable game?


and the guy at the carnival has my money before i play his game.

i ask you again, have you ever been to the carnival?
Big Lynx
#6250 - 2014-03-27 20:42:01 UTC
Louis Robichaud wrote:
I'll be honest with you, I'm not sure where the line is exactly. It doesn't matter though. E1 crossed it by a mile. Anyone with a shred of decency can see that.

That is why all the arguing about minutiae and the exact definition of the law or EULA is quite revealing.


And that's why we have that epic threadnaught here.
Mario Putzo
#6251 - 2014-03-27 20:42:31 UTC
Louis Robichaud wrote:
I'll be honest with you, I'm not sure where the line is exactly. It doesn't matter though. E1 crossed it by a mile. Anyone with a shred of decency can see that.

That is why all the arguing about minutiae and the exact definition of the law or EULA is quite revealing.


You don't know where the line is but can assume E1 crossed it by a mile because he asked a guy to read the Code, and sing a couple silly songs? But Sohkar, the foul mouthed threatening racist client is the victim.

Come on son.
Salvos Rhoska
#6252 - 2014-03-27 20:42:38 UTC
Riot Girl wrote:
I find it hard to sympathise with them, it's also why I have no reservations about making fun of them.


I think the actual reasons for why you find it hard to sympathise, and have no reservations about making fun of them, are rather different than you think.
Louis Robichaud
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6253 - 2014-03-27 20:42:49 UTC
Berendas wrote:
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
And another business day passes in CCP Iceland with no acknowledgement whatsoever, other that falcon shutting down duplicate threads. Eterne spends his day tweeting about how awesome Fanfest is and commenting on how cute some animae shot also tweeted.

But zero about this scandal, in any way.
I know it will take likely take weeks to make some decision on this, but it is terrible business practice from a PR perspective not to acknowledge there is a crisis.

The thing is, this should not be a crisis, it shouldn't even register on CCP's radar. People getting scammed, and even being invited to voice comms is a regular occurrence. The only reason this is even a thing is because an influential player took it upon himself to sensationalize and exaggerate this whole matter for his own benefit. What CCP should do is lock this thread and say no more on this issue, because in reality this is just business as usual for EVE.


What is Jester gaining here exactly? Are you saying that the bonus room in normal Eve game play?

I blog a bit http://hspew.blogspot.ca

admiral root
Red Galaxy
#6254 - 2014-03-27 20:44:04 UTC
Louis Robichaud wrote:
What is Jester gaining here exactly?


A crapton of extra pageviews for his Eve is dying blog.

No, your rights end in optimal+2*falloff

Vilar Diin
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#6255 - 2014-03-27 20:44:28 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
you've never been to a carnival have you?

Aaah! Nice try at non-sequitor! I'll bite.

They already have his assets before the Bonus Room begins.

There is not one single further space cent to be squeezed out of him during the Bonus Room.

So I ask again:

What is the point of the unwinnable game?


and the guy at the carnival has my money before i play his game.

i ask you again, have you ever been to the carnival?


Oh you are a carnival kind of guy?

Do you like gladiator movies by chance? Blink
Mario Putzo
#6256 - 2014-03-27 20:45:09 UTC
Didn't Erotica link this very soundcloud on these forums DAYS before Ripard Teg wrote his blog about it?

I am sure he did, if it wasn't an issue then, why is it an issue now. Ill see if I can find the thread.
Zedrik Cayne
Standards and Practices
#6257 - 2014-03-27 20:45:16 UTC
Erotica 1 wrote:
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
And another business day passes in CCP Iceland with no acknowledgement whatsoever, other that falcon shutting down duplicate threads. Eterne spends his day tweeting about how awesome Fanfest is and commenting on how cute some animae shot also tweeted.

But zero about this scandal, in any way.
I know it will take likely take weeks to make some decision on this, but it is terrible business practice from a PR perspective not to acknowledge there is a crisis.


Read a few pages back. CCP Falcon made a statement. Cut them some slack. It's not like this was penciled into their schedules.


Better provide a link..this thing grows like a weed.

I honestly feel like I just read fifty shades of dumb. --CCP Falcon

Salvos Rhoska
#6258 - 2014-03-27 20:45:28 UTC
H aVo K wrote:
You could say... it's immaterial.


I'd say its quite material, when it is the mechanism employed against the victim in order to force them out of the Bonus Room, in order to win it.
Kristalll
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#6259 - 2014-03-27 20:45:51 UTC
M1k3y Koontz wrote:
Xuixien wrote:
M1k3y Koontz wrote:


Harassment for the sake of harassment has no benefit to the harasser other than amusement. A ganker profits in game. Killmails. Loot. This "bonus room" has no in game rewards.

If you think that the guy in the recording actually might have gotten his stuff back, you should go check through every other recording of the "bonus room". How many of them actually got their stuff back? How many flipped out and raged, much to the entertainment of the harassers? If any of them did get their stuff back, how long did it take?

And I'd like to mention real quick, this guy got kicked out of Goonswarm, the noted harassers of highsec. Even Goon's standards higher than this.


I guess I'm repeating myself now:

From what I understand, Erotica 1 is running a legit business.

There is a chance for gain during the Bonus Round - the client's gain.

CCP does not say that you have to be the one gaining, do they?

Also, Erotica 1 gains publicity, advertisement, awareness, and future contests from the proceedings of the Bonus Round.

So he is in fact profiting. It's part of this "thing" that he does, a business, a persona, which has generated billions. Not only for himself, but other players.



If we're just going to repeat ourselves, did any "clients" actually gain? If not, it's not a business. Even in casinos people occasionally win, if you can't find an example of someone "winning" the bonus room, it isn't a business.


http://lmgtfy.com/q?=yodaknows+eve+online

“Die trying” is the proudest human thing.

Berendas
EVE University
Ivy League
#6260 - 2014-03-27 20:45:59 UTC
Louis Robichaud wrote:
Berendas wrote:
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
And another business day passes in CCP Iceland with no acknowledgement whatsoever, other that falcon shutting down duplicate threads. Eterne spends his day tweeting about how awesome Fanfest is and commenting on how cute some animae shot also tweeted.

But zero about this scandal, in any way.
I know it will take likely take weeks to make some decision on this, but it is terrible business practice from a PR perspective not to acknowledge there is a crisis.

The thing is, this should not be a crisis, it shouldn't even register on CCP's radar. People getting scammed, and even being invited to voice comms is a regular occurrence. The only reason this is even a thing is because an influential player took it upon himself to sensationalize and exaggerate this whole matter for his own benefit. What CCP should do is lock this thread and say no more on this issue, because in reality this is just business as usual for EVE.


What is Jester gaining here exactly? Are you saying that the bonus room in normal Eve game play?

An increase in traffic for his tabloid of a blog.