These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Dev Blog: EVE Source Limited Edition open for pre-orders

First post First post
Author
Lisara Khatam
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#81 - 2014-02-13 23:35:29 UTC
Xindi Kraid wrote:
Lisara Khatam wrote:
Tasha Saisima wrote:
You guys just can't have 1 announcement favor the US can you?


The announcement was made at 9AM CST (my Time Zone). Which would have meant 7AM Pacific, 10AM Eastern. I had more than enough time to purchase my copy.

Should have hopped on that train as it left a long time ago.

The problem is that most people work during those hours.

When people say announcements favoring Americans, they mean in the evening after everyone gets home from work and actually has time for stuff.


Heck, I was at work, got the Twitter notification from @EveOnline, followed the link and purchased it right from my phone.

It's called a 5-minute bathroom break.

That being said, I understand that some people can't find the time to do that... But as of 11AM CST, the signed copies were gone. 2 hours had passed. Personally, I don't find an issue with any of this.
Kithran
#82 - 2014-02-13 23:38:14 UTC
Xindi Kraid wrote:
Lisara Khatam wrote:
Tasha Saisima wrote:
You guys just can't have 1 announcement favor the US can you?


The announcement was made at 9AM CST (my Time Zone). Which would have meant 7AM Pacific, 10AM Eastern. I had more than enough time to purchase my copy.

Should have hopped on that train as it left a long time ago.

The problem is that most people work during those hours.

When people say announcements favoring Americans, they mean in the evening after everyone gets home from work and actually has time for stuff.


This whole announcement was very badly handled in my view - lets see what they didn't do:

1) Put anything about it in the messages in the launcher (yes lots of people don't use it but this seems a logical place to have something).

2) Why didn't they announce they were going to have a limited edition in advance - people could then have actually planned for it. I know eve source had previously announced but that was all.

3) They have just had a 10 year collectors edition with a code for benefits for people who had bought that - why on earth didn't anyone think to send out a mail to the same address as any other offers letting people know about it - can you think of a better market than those who have already bought the ce??????
Makoto Priano
Kirkinen-Arataka Transhuman Zenith Consulting Ltd.
#83 - 2014-02-13 23:48:03 UTC
Xindi Kraid wrote:

I really would have expected them to make enough for it to get at least 12-24 hours before selling out. I know it's limited edition and supposed to be hard to get, but for Americans working during those hours and people in the pacific who are asleep, only having 8 hours of inventory is kinda **** move


This is definitely legitimate. I wonder if CCP was surprised by the rate of sale, as I get the impression the CE didn't have the same churn on it. I got the impression that CCP's outsourcing of the EVE store to Musterbrand was because of their history with overstocks.

Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries: exploring the edge of the known, advancing the state of the art. Would you like to know more?

Xindi Kraid
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#84 - 2014-02-13 23:53:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Xindi Kraid
Lisara Khatam wrote:

Heck, I was at work, got the Twitter notification from @EveOnline, followed the link and purchased it right from my phone.

It's called a 5-minute bathroom break.

That being said, I understand that some people can't find the time to do that... But as of 11AM CST, the signed copies were gone. 2 hours had passed. Personally, I don't find an issue with any of this.

I actually tried that, but it kept giving me an SSL certificate error and wouldn't let me on the site.
Saldy, phones aren't computers.

Kithran wrote:


This whole announcement was very badly handled in my view - lets see what they didn't do:

1) Put anything about it in the messages in the launcher (yes lots of people don't use it but this seems a logical place to have something).

2) Why didn't they announce they were going to have a limited edition in advance - people could then have actually planned for it. I know eve source had previously announced but that was all.

3) They have just had a 10 year collectors edition with a code for benefits for people who had bought that - why on earth didn't anyone think to send out a mail to the same address as any other offers letting people know about it - can you think of a better market than those who have already bought the ce??????

Indeed, I would have expected some hinting at it even if not an outright announcement.
I actually subscribed to updates to the musterbrand store to have it tell me when any books hit just so I could snag a copy. That email hit my box around noon which is a few hours after the book went on sale. I know that's more on musterbrand than CCP, but damn, that's slow for something like this.

Makoto Priano wrote:
Xindi Kraid wrote:

I really would have expected them to make enough for it to get at least 12-24 hours before selling out. I know it's limited edition and supposed to be hard to get, but for Americans working during those hours and people in the pacific who are asleep, only having 8 hours of inventory is kinda **** move


This is definitely legitimate. I wonder if CCP was surprised by the rate of sale, as I get the impression the CE didn't have the same churn on it. I got the impression that CCP's outsourcing of the EVE store to Musterbrand was because of their history with overstocks.

It wouldn't surprise me too much if they didn't expect so much demand, but it still sucks. Still, given the population of EvE, I would have expected them to have expected to try and sell to a larger percentage than they did.

BTW can I call dibs on your spare mens clothes from your book now that I am stuck with the standard version (hell if there's no feelies involved, I may just get the e-book version ):P
Makoto Priano
Kirkinen-Arataka Transhuman Zenith Consulting Ltd.
#85 - 2014-02-14 00:05:34 UTC
We can probably work something out. ;) Though if there's awesome men's clothing in there, I may have to dangle it over you as incentive to get in on a fleet or three. ;)

Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries: exploring the edge of the known, advancing the state of the art. Would you like to know more?

Dalagian Anthrodania
Anthrodania
#86 - 2014-02-14 00:07:32 UTC
So 1400 total. 1000 available through the Eve store and 400 externally.

Thing is, when I got to the site earlier the ticker said ~26 signed and 400 regular we're left . If there was initially 500 signed I make that a total of 900 - so where is the missing 100?

(I do Apologise if I'm incorrect here, I was in a rush to get my order through).

Xindi Kraid
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#87 - 2014-02-14 00:10:29 UTC
Hey I've been in a few some one of the alliance fleets.
CCP t0rfifrans
C C P
C C P Alliance
#88 - 2014-02-14 00:14:02 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP t0rfifrans
Dalagian Anthrodania wrote:
So 1400 total. 1000 available through the Eve store and 400 externally.

Thing is, when I got to the site earlier the ticker said ~26 signed and 400 regular we're left . If there was initially 500 signed I make that a total of 900 - so where is the missing 100?

(I do Apologise if I'm incorrect here, I was in a rush to get my order through).


The missing 100 ( unsigned ) were reserved to be sold to CCP staff and for PR, reviews and business partners. Members of the EVE dev team and more obviously wanted to get a copy as well.
CCP t0rfifrans
C C P
C C P Alliance
#89 - 2014-02-14 00:17:26 UTC
Makoto Priano wrote:
Xindi Kraid wrote:

I really would have expected them to make enough for it to get at least 12-24 hours before selling out. I know it's limited edition and supposed to be hard to get, but for Americans working during those hours and people in the pacific who are asleep, only having 8 hours of inventory is kinda **** move


This is definitely legitimate. I wonder if CCP was surprised by the rate of sale,

This is true. We did not expect it would sell out in 7 hours, to be honest. It caught everyone happily by surprise, save for those who missed the announcement.
Xindi Kraid
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#90 - 2014-02-14 00:19:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Xindi Kraid
CCP t0rfifrans wrote:
Makoto Priano wrote:
Xindi Kraid wrote:

I really would have expected them to make enough for it to get at least 12-24 hours before selling out. I know it's limited edition and supposed to be hard to get, but for Americans working during those hours and people in the pacific who are asleep, only having 8 hours of inventory is kinda **** move


This is definitely legitimate. I wonder if CCP was surprised by the rate of sale,

This is true. We did not expect it would sell out in 7 hours, to be honest. It caught everyone happily by surprise, save for those who missed the announcement.

I suppose that's good news for your business.

I admit, I hadn't anticipated they'd ALL be sold out by now either. I figured I missed the signed copies, but I had thought I'd still have a chance at one of the later unsigned ones.


Would making an extended run of the limited edition be something possible for you guys. More demand means more ISK for you.
Makoto Priano
Kirkinen-Arataka Transhuman Zenith Consulting Ltd.
#91 - 2014-02-14 00:27:35 UTC
Xindi, let me see if I can work some magic.

Torfi, if you're able to spare, say, 50 of CCP's reserve of LE copies for a later US TZ release, I'm sure there'd be a bunch of US RPers/players who'd love you?

Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries: exploring the edge of the known, advancing the state of the art. Would you like to know more?

Gallosek
Questionable Ethics.
Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork
#92 - 2014-02-14 00:50:34 UTC
So..... more people would have been able to buy these limited copies if it was announced in US prime time?

Don't forget all is not lost, the content is still available on non-limited release. And for less money!
Xindi Kraid
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#93 - 2014-02-14 00:52:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Xindi Kraid
Makoto Priano wrote:
Xindi, let me see if I can work some magic.

Torfi, if you're able to spare, say, 50 of CCP's reserve of LE copies for a later US TZ release, I'm sure there'd be a bunch of US RPers/players who'd love you?

See Role-playing is EXACTLY why I have been anticipating this book so much.

I've been involved in IGS kinda sorta since I started, but really got into it a little more than a year ago, and something like this would really help, not only because it could help fill gaps in my knowledge, but also because it's supposed to have new information which lets me go further. (my backstory being retired navy turned propulsion engineer, more up to date lore on stargates and warp drives would be great). I do sometimes struggle a bit because I need to do more reading (my biggest sticking point is Caldari honorables, any of you RP-ers may have noticed I don't use them, that's because I don't really know what all there is, or where to find them)
===

Gallosek wrote:
So..... more people would have been able to buy these limited copies if it was announced in US prime time?

Don't forget all is not lost, the content is still available on non-limited release. And for less money!

Probably not. That's just our standard grousing about not being the center of the universe to Europeans. Only way to have made it better to acquire is if they plain had more of them or if they released them gradually over time, say every 6 hours put a quarter of them up.

I'm still going to buy a copy, but I like nice books, and with limited bookshelf space, I prefer to have the nicest; the rest go in my digital library. Maybe I'm just weird (no wait, that's a guarantee)
Terenius Neo
ThunderDevils
#94 - 2014-02-14 01:14:26 UTC
I just got the mail and... oh c'mon... SOLD OUT?!!!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

That is not fair!!! X
Rain6639
Simulacra and Simulation
Goonswarm Federation
#95 - 2014-02-14 01:17:27 UTC
Makoto Priano wrote:
CCP t0rfifrans wrote:

Thank you for purchasing!

You need to wait for the actual physical plaque, the code is engraved on it...


On the subject of the LE code! So, uh, any chance the special space barbie clothing could have the female version of the Ishukone Sterling dress shirt? Pretty please? :x

also, will you clarify what this means:
Quote:
Exclusive clothing for male and female characters*. Something comfortable for your avatar to slip into when reading chapters about the corporatocracy of the Caldari, slave mines of the Amarr, or the glistening streets of Caille where everything has a price.
* Clothing items remain exclusive to this product for 6 months.


can the clothing items be put on market, or is it locked to the redeeming account? or after 6 months it will be available through LP stores or NEX?

thanks
Makoto Priano
Kirkinen-Arataka Transhuman Zenith Consulting Ltd.
#96 - 2014-02-14 01:22:43 UTC
Rain6639 wrote:

can the clothing items be put on market, or is it locked to the redeeming account? or after 6 months it will be available through LP stores or NEX?

thanks


CCP's sometimes come under fire for 'limited edition goods' being available through a later marketing bonus. This makes it clear that the vanity items are a timed exclusive, which is to say exclusive only for a period of time-- after that, the good may be added through other means. Usually, though, CCP's been pretty good about not going hog-wild with vanity items. Consider, for instance, that Ishukone Sterling shirts are now on market for ridiculous prices-- because most of them have been bought up and are in collectors' hands.

Similarly, Genolution gold pods are starting to creep up in price, as are Phanca arms and all the rest of those things.

Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries: exploring the edge of the known, advancing the state of the art. Would you like to know more?

CCP t0rfifrans
C C P
C C P Alliance
#97 - 2014-02-14 01:28:22 UTC
Rain6639 wrote:
[quote=Makoto Priano][quote=CCP t0rfifrans]

can the clothing items be put on market, or is it locked to the redeeming account? or after 6 months it will be available through LP stores or NEX?

thanks


It's exclusive to this offer for 6 months. It may be seeded elsewhere ( TBD ) after 6 months. It basically means that CCP does not promise that it will stay exclusive forever, but hasn't determined if and how and when it will enter the game by different means.
CCP t0rfifrans
C C P
C C P Alliance
#98 - 2014-02-14 01:30:01 UTC
Be noted that 200 units were kept by Dark Horse to be sold at their booth at trade events such as ComicCon. We will make more details of availability and upcoming events public once they are known to us.
Rain6639
Simulacra and Simulation
Goonswarm Federation
#99 - 2014-02-14 01:39:47 UTC
ty

o7 o7
Alundil
Rolled Out
#100 - 2014-02-14 02:14:20 UTC
Eko Fromtv wrote:
Xindi Kraid wrote:
Well **** why'd you make so damn few.

I would have dropped the money on this but I was at work when it went on preorder.
I've been waiting for this book since it was announced. :'(


Quoted for truth.

We need more "limited" copies, please.

This... So much this. Didn't see this until I got out of work. By which time everything was gone.

: sad panda is sad

I'm right behind you