These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Dev Blog: EVE Source Limited Edition open for pre-orders

First post First post
Author
Apaolo Miros
Talking In Stations Corporation
#121 - 2014-02-14 17:03:06 UTC
Gilbaron wrote:
Katabrok First wrote:
Ok, this is getting frustrating. I had to buy the collector's edition trough Amazon, because the EVE store doesn't ship to Brasil. Now I can't buy this because it won't ship to Brasil. But now it is worse, because I ran to the store to buy it and get the lithograph, and I see I won't get it. C'mon man, I even went to fanfest last year, I want to spend my money in EVE stuff, but I can't. I'll have to settle for the hardcover edition, that's it?

I'm really mad about this.



how about moving to a country with less stupid laws on importing stuff ?



That's not very helpful Nulli recruiter.
Maximus Andendare
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#122 - 2014-02-14 17:11:56 UTC
I understand the limited edition copies are sold out, but will there still be a regular, $39 version of the book available? I don't see that offering on the Eve Store site.

Enter grid and you're already dead, destined to be reborn and fight another day.

>> Play Eve Online FREE! Join today for exclusive bonuses! <<

Apaolo Miros
Talking In Stations Corporation
#123 - 2014-02-14 17:15:02 UTC
Makoto Priano wrote:
Xindi Kraid wrote:

I really would have expected them to make enough for it to get at least 12-24 hours before selling out. I know it's limited edition and supposed to be hard to get, but for Americans working during those hours and people in the pacific who are asleep, only having 8 hours of inventory is kinda **** move


This is definitely legitimate. I wonder if CCP was surprised by the rate of sale, as I get the impression the CE didn't have the same churn on it. I got the impression that CCP's outsourcing of the EVE store to Musterbrand was because of their history with overstocks.

This was priced way too low. That collectors edition was 150?I would have paid that just to pre-order this book. This was an EVE art book with backstory = $250. Really, $90 is 3 dinners with 1 friend in any big city.

CCP needs to look at their player base - older, tech, males... that's a formula for discretionary spending. People fly to Iceland for this game - that's not cheap.
Eran Mintor
Metropolis Commercial Consortium
#124 - 2014-02-14 17:16:11 UTC
Maximus Andendare wrote:
I understand the limited edition copies are sold out, but will there still be a regular, $39 version of the book available? I don't see that offering on the Eve Store site.


Yes you can order the vanilla version through amazon and other similar sites. There will b an ebook version released as well around march 18th
Maximus Andendare
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#125 - 2014-02-14 17:28:54 UTC
Eran Mintor wrote:
Maximus Andendare wrote:
I understand the limited edition copies are sold out, but will there still be a regular, $39 version of the book available? I don't see that offering on the Eve Store site.


Yes you can order the vanilla version through amazon and other similar sites. There will b an ebook version released as well around march 18th
Will the limited editions come with the ebook version too?

Enter grid and you're already dead, destined to be reborn and fight another day.

>> Play Eve Online FREE! Join today for exclusive bonuses! <<

Eran Mintor
Metropolis Commercial Consortium
#126 - 2014-02-14 17:46:32 UTC
I dont think so. Ebooks only ~16 bucks tho and no shipping obviously.
a newbie
Trust Doesn't Rust
Sev3rance
#127 - 2014-02-14 18:32:08 UTC
I am a pretty annoyed with the real marketing miss on this.

EVE is not a guerilla marketing company, it has no reason to post limited time offers in near silence without a precursor announcement to allow for people to adjust schedules accordingly.

Like others here I was waiting since attending fanfest for the Source LE. I paid attention to the posts, and as usual with lots of limited offers, its posted a day or two before I get my check to boot. If I had known maybe a week in advance it would be something simple, and many players including myself could have gotten one, nevermind the people who weren't railroaded due to timezone or those that bought multiples.

The non-signed limited lithograph was very much something I was hoping to get but clearly that just isn't going to happen. Kind of irks me as you spend thousands of dollars in appreciation to attend a party/conference in support of a company, only to have very poorly planned marketing campaigns happen on multiple levels, whether its a bad PR driven in-game campaign or no forethought of how things evolve when you release a very limited quantity item and no forewarning.

...um.. fire?

Castelo Selva
Forcas armadas
Brave Collective
#128 - 2014-02-14 19:13:57 UTC
Katabrok First wrote:
Gilbaron wrote:
Katabrok First wrote:
Ok, this is getting frustrating. I had to buy the collector's edition trough Amazon, because the EVE store doesn't ship to Brasil. Now I can't buy this because it won't ship to Brasil. But now it is worse, because I ran to the store to buy it and get the lithograph, and I see I won't get it. C'mon man, I even went to fanfest last year, I want to spend my money in EVE stuff, but I can't. I'll have to settle for the hardcover edition, that's it?

I'm really mad about this.



how about moving to a country with less stupid laws on importing stuff ?

Even you being right about the stupid laws, or the massive taxes, the problem now is not here, the problem is the EVE store not shipping it here. When I bought the collector's edition, I paid more in taxes than the sum of product and S&H. I knew it, and I was prepared to pay for it. Now I don't have the option to buy it, because the only store selling it won't send it to me.

Got it?

About moving to another country, I would love to, but it is something easier said than done, right?



Again, I agree with my friend Katabrok. When I bought others stuffs I know that I will pay a small fortune because of taxes, however, this time we (brazilians) did not even get the opportunity to buy it. And that was the reason of my previous post.

Again, I pledge to the reason of CCP personals to think how frustrating this was.

In addition, no, I am not rage-quitting, and no, you cannot have my stuffs. I like the game, and despite that fact of being exclude of buying the promotional book, I still like the game. There nothing wrong with the game.

I am really mad with the people in the CCP office with decide to exclude me, and a lot of others players. Shame on you CCP.

And Gilbaron, please, be civilized, and / or use less offensive words. Thank you.
Edward Olmops
Gunboat Commando
#129 - 2014-02-14 21:26:28 UTC
Erm.

Can we maybe have more metalevels of this book?

Something in between of the ultra-rare limited edition wrapped in genuine space buffalo hide and signed with blood of all EVE devs and the plain book?

I mean you will hardly want to increase the number of books after the announcement, but could there possibly be a third version with maybe somewhat lesser impressive ingame items & stuff for those who came a bit late but still want to feel a bit special...
NorthCrossroad
EVE University
Ivy League
#130 - 2014-02-14 22:15:19 UTC  |  Edited by: NorthCrossroad
CCP, additional batch of limited edition would be awesome tbh. :)

North
Xindi Kraid
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#131 - 2014-02-14 23:16:06 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:

I have to echo t0rfi's sentiments here, the entire team who was involved in the production of this book are simply astounded by how fast this sold out.

CCP Gnauton was literally jumping up and down and highfiving people, and myself and the rest of the writers are incredibly happy.

Big smile


Yeah, and how happy are you that a large number of fans eagerly awaiting this never got the chance to even consider buying it?

Apaolo Miros wrote:

This was priced way too low. That collectors edition was 150?I would have paid that just to pre-order this book. This was an EVE art book with backstory = $250. Really, $90 is 3 dinners with 1 friend in any big city.

CCP needs to look at their player base - older, tech, males... that's a formula for discretionary spending. People fly to Iceland for this game - that's not cheap.

$250 is pretty steep. Leather bound or not, it is still just a book. The $150 collectors edition game cost that much because it has a crapload of feelies in it. Hell it has a board game in it, and board games generally run $30 - $50, plus there's a USB hub, and not a basic model either. Even if their market is similar, the contents aren't that comparable. While I admit I would have been willing to pay a bit more, $90 is a fair price for a leather bound volume and a few extra things.
Xindi Kraid
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#132 - 2014-02-14 23:20:35 UTC
Edward Olmops wrote:

Can we maybe have more metalevels of this book?

Meta levels on EvE swag would actually be an awesome tie in method.
Foural
Old Timers Guild Inc.
#133 - 2014-02-14 23:31:34 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
CCP t0rfifrans wrote:
Makoto Priano wrote:
Xindi Kraid wrote:

I really would have expected them to make enough for it to get at least 12-24 hours before selling out. I know it's limited edition and supposed to be hard to get, but for Americans working during those hours and people in the pacific who are asleep, only having 8 hours of inventory is kinda **** move


This is definitely legitimate. I wonder if CCP was surprised by the rate of sale,

This is true. We did not expect it would sell out in 7 hours, to be honest. It caught everyone happily by surprise, save for those who missed the announcement.


I have to echo t0rfi's sentiments here, the entire team who was involved in the production of this book are simply astounded by how fast this sold out.

CCP Gnauton was literally jumping up and down and highfiving people, and myself and the rest of the writers are incredibly happy.

Big smile



I am glad you are happy you sold out so quickly but what about the 100's who did not have the opportunity to purchase because of the silent announcement AND time zone difference of the announcement?

CCP you really should issue at least a couple thousand of the limited edition signed litho graphs. I am sure the demand is there.
Jessica Danikov
Network Danikov
#134 - 2014-02-15 00:11:25 UTC
I appreciated CCP wanted to make this limited edition, but a far better approach would have been to release 60 per hour for a day, of which the first 20 were signed, and to give fair warning ahead of doing it to allow people a chance to try and get one sometime in that 24 hour period- would have been a lot fairer.

Food for thought for another time I guess...

At least the core book is still available to all.
London
Moira.
#135 - 2014-02-15 00:51:35 UTC
Wow, super **** move. I have 'collected' pretty much everything EVE up until now but missed out because of my work hours.. lovely. :/

Would really appreciate a larger run.

Xindi Kraid
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#136 - 2014-02-15 01:17:54 UTC
How many players does EvE have (not accounts, actual people) anyways?
Eran Mintor
Metropolis Commercial Consortium
#137 - 2014-02-15 05:23:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Eran Mintor
Xindi Kraid wrote:
How many players does EvE have (not accounts, actual people) anyways?


Hard to say. There's over 500k subscriptions and if you assume the average is 2-3 accounts per person, then you could also assume less than 1% of people got a chance to get this item.

I also think it's pretty **** move of certain individuals to gloat about the success of sales while completely ignoring the legitimate concerns of a large portion of posters in this very thread, not even an acknowlegement that the announcements were lacking and the release was very poorly executed. Nevermind the lack of foresight to produce enough copies to satisfy their roleplaying community.

But what do they care. They have us dangling like marionettes.
Meiyang Lee
Game Instrument Applications
#138 - 2014-02-15 09:16:08 UTC
Eran Mintor wrote:
Xindi Kraid wrote:
How many players does EvE have (not accounts, actual people) anyways?


Hard to say. There's over 500k subscriptions and if you assume the average is 2-3 accounts per person, then you could also assume less than 1% of people got a chance to get this item.

I also think it's pretty **** move of certain individuals to gloat about the success of sales while completely ignoring the legitimate concerns of a large portion of posters in this very thread, not even an acknowlegement that the announcements were lacking and the release was very poorly executed. Nevermind the lack of foresight to produce enough copies to satisfy their roleplaying community.

But what do they care. They have us dangling like marionettes.


Do keep in mind that the non-collector version will be available in limitless quantities as far as we're aware. Blink
Even Amazon has that up for pre-order

It's just the limited version that was so very restricted in its availability, which I do not necessarily see as a bad thing.
I do agree that the announcement and launch of the limited edition sale could have been handled better.
Xindi Kraid
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#139 - 2014-02-15 22:41:18 UTC
Well the issue for some of us is that with an E-book version available that is searchable and can be taken on a tablet, the only reason to get a physical book is if it's a very very nice book.
The Limited edition one is a nice book, the hardcover isn't bad but is still fairly ordinary. Then of course there's the fact the hardbound isn't a collectors item.

Sure it may sound demanding or like splitting hairs, but it is what it is.
JP Nakamura
Union of Intergalactic Miners and Nano Assemblers
#140 - 2014-02-17 19:30:28 UTC
Meiyang Lee wrote:
Eran Mintor wrote:
Xindi Kraid wrote:
How many players does EvE have (not accounts, actual people) anyways?


Hard to say. There's over 500k subscriptions and if you assume the average is 2-3 accounts per person, then you could also assume less than 1% of people got a chance to get this item.

I also think it's pretty **** move of certain individuals to gloat about the success of sales while completely ignoring the legitimate concerns of a large portion of posters in this very thread, not even an acknowlegement that the announcements were lacking and the release was very poorly executed. Nevermind the lack of foresight to produce enough copies to satisfy their roleplaying community.

But what do they care. They have us dangling like marionettes.


Do keep in mind that the non-collector version will be available in limitless quantities as far as we're aware. Blink
Even Amazon has that up for pre-order

It's just the limited version that was so very restricted in its availability, which I do not necessarily see as a bad thing.
I do agree that the announcement and launch of the limited edition sale could have been handled better.


The real question is how many people were more interested in the little bonuses like the Lithos (signed or not).

If enough people go for the plain vanilla book, great, but my personal bet is the regular edition of the book will sell about as well as the "Limited Availability Collectors Edition" (still being hocked in the Launcher), which bodes poorer.

Actually, I'd be more curious how many Collectors Editions sold, which SHOULD have been an indicator to CCP of a Floor for how many copies of Source people would try to snap up. If they DID take it that way, and really have sold less than 1000 copies of the Collectors Edition, then I'm hardly surprised they printed as few Limited Edition copies of Source as they did. (still sad as I missed out on getting one myself, so now I'm one of those deciding about the regular edition ... and leaning toward 'NO')

CCP: 10+ years of Harvesting players Tears  (latest efforts being Source Limited Edition, and Alliance Logo Revised Policies)