These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page
 

Analyzed the connections between systems using network metrics and posted a visual- You'll Love

First post
Author
Joe Themachine
Sleeper Tech. Research Foundation
#1 - 2013-12-12 20:41:20 UTC
So using the EVE api I downloaded the star system list and their connections and ran several network and visualization analysis on the data. I found some interesting results and posted a complete visual which is searchable on my blog for all to see EVE Universe Map Using Network Analysis

One of the interesting things I found is that the CCP Devs used clustering in naming the regions and sectors within EVE based on the number of jumps between groups of systems--a high number of jumps (algorithmically) creates a region. There's a bunch of other subtle stuff like this which I'll write up in a blog post sometime.

Here's a little of the meaty parts of the analysis:

Systems with high levels of the BC score are great for gate-camping because of the low likelihood of concord or other corp or alliances being able to respond. They also cross over regions (they are the big(er) circles on the searchable visual) which means that escape for those who choose to battle on behalf of their alliances is more likely because there are multiple escape routes.

Systems with high levels of EVC are great for trade. they are (probability-wise) are more likely to have items bough from, plus because high EVC systems are clustered together, they form clusters of trade hubs ******(if you search for Jita or Rens, you'll see that they are neither, which means that they are unnatural trade hubs--all marketing and word of mouth--if the forums didn't exist Jita and Rens WOULD NOT be trade hubs) *********

There are other factors involved in making war, trade, and flying decisions of course, but I think a common alliance vs. alliance war problem is that they don't have a good grasp of the lay of land so to speak. My maps can help them make better decisions, and I'm willing to trade!

Enjoy
Vidua Arte Album
Epic Boo Bees
#2 - 2013-12-12 20:53:35 UTC
Before jita, there was yulai. Looking forward to your blog post. Thank you for creating an interesting thread!
Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#3 - 2013-12-12 20:58:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Miilla
You have all graph vertices as in and out degrees, however, that is not how the Eve unvierse is, you are plotting one edge as two.

I fail to trust your intrepertation of the data as it seems incorrect. Eve universe is not a Di-graph.
Joe Themachine
Sleeper Tech. Research Foundation
#4 - 2013-12-12 21:02:45 UTC
Miilla wrote:
You have all graph vertices as in and out degrees as the same, however, that is not how the Eve unvierse is, you are plotting one edge as two.

I fail to trust your intrepertation of the data as it seems incorrect. Eve is not a Di-graph.


The vertices didnt print out properly in this particular graph, but the analysis is correct. The Sigma.js was a little rough in exporting.

Jumps in the eve universe are not directional which means that in and out degree centralization (by definition) are equal. That's not a mistake! Please review Introduction to SNA book, page 2. :)
Garric Blackk
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2013-12-12 21:03:17 UTC
This is cool, thank you!
Dashady
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#6 - 2013-12-12 21:08:04 UTC
Uh oh am I sensing an epic nerd battle about to kick off?
Jandice Ymladris
Aurora Arcology
#7 - 2013-12-12 21:09:04 UTC
Nice to see a deeper analysis of Eve and it's regions! Looking forward to your blogposts!

Providing a new home for refugees in the Aurora Arcology

Joe Themachine
Sleeper Tech. Research Foundation
#8 - 2013-12-12 21:10:38 UTC
Dashady wrote:
Uh oh am I sensing an epic nerd battle about to kick off?


meh! lol..
SurrenderMonkey
The Exchange Collective
Solyaris Chtonium
#9 - 2013-12-12 21:12:04 UTC
Joe Themachine wrote:
******(if you search for Jita or Rens, you'll see that they are neither, which means that they are unnatural trade hubs--all marketing and word of mouth--if the forums didn't exist Jita and Rens WOULD NOT be trade hubs) *********




Model does not mesh with reality -> reality is wrong. Lol

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Joe Themachine
Sleeper Tech. Research Foundation
#10 - 2013-12-12 21:16:09 UTC
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
Joe Themachine wrote:
******(if you search for Jita or Rens, you'll see that they are neither, which means that they are unnatural trade hubs--all marketing and word of mouth--if the forums didn't exist Jita and Rens WOULD NOT be trade hubs) *********




Model does not mesh with reality -> reality is wrong. Lol


Well, simply explaining the "natural" order was the goal. Considering one factor among many!
Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#11 - 2013-12-12 21:17:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Miilla
Joe Themachine wrote:
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
Joe Themachine wrote:
******(if you search for Jita or Rens, you'll see that they are neither, which means that they are unnatural trade hubs--all marketing and word of mouth--if the forums didn't exist Jita and Rens WOULD NOT be trade hubs) *********




Model does not mesh with reality -> reality is wrong. Lol


Well, simply explaining the "natural" order was the goal. Considering one factor among many!


Your underlaying model is incorrect, Eve universe is NOT a di-graph.

With such a flawed model, how do you expect us to take your findings seriously when your method is incorrect fundamentally?
Joe Themachine
Sleeper Tech. Research Foundation
#12 - 2013-12-12 21:39:03 UTC
I did forget to mention that if you click on any particular system it will show the stats on the right hand side.
Galadriel Vasquez
Project Omega Industries
Evictus.
#13 - 2013-12-12 21:41:17 UTC
Looks like Star Map with the jumps in last hour tab...

I have tin foil hat trained to 5.

Joe Themachine
Sleeper Tech. Research Foundation
#14 - 2013-12-12 21:42:48 UTC
Galadriel Vasquez wrote:
Looks like Star Map with the jumps in last hour tab...


yeah except it's completely structural... no traffic data at all.. its only based on which systems connect to which..
Galadriel Vasquez
Project Omega Industries
Evictus.
#15 - 2013-12-12 21:46:09 UTC
I misunderstood, I thought it was a traffic jam flow chart.

I have tin foil hat trained to 5.

Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#16 - 2013-12-12 21:46:53 UTC
Galadriel Vasquez wrote:
I misunderstood, I thought it was a traffic jam flow chart.



Yes directed graphs can cause that confusion they would indicate some kind of directional transition.
Galadriel Vasquez
Project Omega Industries
Evictus.
#17 - 2013-12-12 21:48:02 UTC
Cool

I have tin foil hat trained to 5.

Pew Terror
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2013-12-12 21:50:28 UTC
Running specialized metrics for specific use cases (in your case network analysis) on generic graphs is as non scientific as it gets.
You need to demonstrate what analysis the tool you used does and then present a case why the asssumptions of the model concerning its nodes and edges holds in this specific case.
You can't just go "Im a gonna force this data through this tool i just learned existed because pretty color, look at me!".
Joe Themachine
Sleeper Tech. Research Foundation
#19 - 2013-12-12 21:55:50 UTC
Pew Terror wrote:
Running specialized metrics for specific use cases (in your case network analysis) on generic graphs is as non scientific as it gets.
You need to demonstrate what analysis the tool you used does and then present a case why the asssumptions of the model concerning its nodes and edges holds in this specific case.
You can't just go "Im a gonna force this data through this tool i just learned existed because pretty color, look at me!".


Who said anything about scientific? It was mostly fun, and I was testing my code...:) you don't see any tests of significance do you? thanks for your insight..
Pew Terror
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2013-12-12 21:59:40 UTC
Joe Themachine wrote:
Pew Terror wrote:
Running specialized metrics for specific use cases (in your case network analysis) on generic graphs is as non scientific as it gets.
You need to demonstrate what analysis the tool you used does and then present a case why the asssumptions of the model concerning its nodes and edges holds in this specific case.
You can't just go "Im a gonna force this data through this tool i just learned existed because pretty color, look at me!".


Who said anything about scientific? It was mostly fun, and I was testing my code...:) you don't see any tests of significance do you? thanks for your insight..


Testing for significance is part of statistics, not graph theory (what your tool there did where you clicked that button) and it a completly different area of mathematics.
Sticking a finger in your bum can be fun as well, but the world dont need to hear of it when its not useful information.
123Next page