These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Tonight's fleet fight in Z9PP-H

First post First post First post
Author
Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#561 - 2013-07-10 17:47:06 UTC
Onictus wrote:
Blizzard hasn't come close to fixing it, hence the cap on that outdoor PvP area in lich king.


It's been 4 years since WotLK. Since September 2012, the WoW you know doesn't exist anymore.

There's no caps.

The world you know has been expanded to the point of those you play with aren't on your realm.

You goto Icecrown and the players there now are split from a dozen realms. So a limit in the zone wouldn't matter, because they physically play on their own realm, but virtually connected to other realms.

5.4 patch it's virtually merging 10+ realms together including the AH. At this rate, WoW will be EvE as a one world Azeroth, but on independent realms in different datacenters around the country, nowhere connected physically.

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Maximillian German
Task Force Coalition
#562 - 2013-07-10 18:23:54 UTC
I'm still waiting on Brokeback Fountain propoganda. Just sayin'
Arrendis
TK Corp
#563 - 2013-07-10 18:33:45 UTC
Miss Altiana wrote:

Seriously, im not realy sure how serious you are, but, maybe you should go turn your computor off, leave the blue and red pills alone, its pixels !... there is like proportions to things, and i rather see this as a game, so if the game designers screw up my game, well id go outside, read a book , wait for them to fix it ?, and if i had my land scaper destroy my "digital" garden... you know, im sure you never made a mistake ? Roll


It's not the initial mistake I take issue with. It's the 'please put all your questions in this thread so they can be addressed' and then never even acknowledging the existence of the questions. I've got over ten years of experience in customer service and tech support, and that's just amateur hour crap.

Saying 'hey, it's just a game' is a lovely thing, but I'm not complaining about the game. **** happens, things break, CCP tries to fix them. That's all fine.

I'm complaining about the customer service. Please stop conflating the two.
Arrendis
TK Corp
#564 - 2013-07-10 18:35:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Arrendis
CCP Falcon wrote:

There's thing thing, it's called the weekend, and it's that time where a lot of our development team spend time with their families after working long hours all week.


There's this thing, it's called Wednesday. It means that it's been more than 48 hours since 'the weekend' and this is the first time there's even been an acknowledgment that the thread still exists.
Arrendis
TK Corp
#565 - 2013-07-10 18:40:20 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:

So a limit in the zone wouldn't matter, because they physically play on their own realm, but virtually connected to other realms.


Did you really just say someone does something on the internet physically?
Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#566 - 2013-07-10 18:43:54 UTC
Arrendis wrote:
Ace Uoweme wrote:

So a limit in the zone wouldn't matter, because they physically play on their own realm, but virtually connected to other realms.


Did you really just say someone does something on the internet physically?


As they say in carpentry: measure twice, cut once.

Considering the content, yep!

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Paul Leonard Kersey
Doomheim
#567 - 2013-07-10 19:29:54 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Arrendis wrote:
Ace Uoweme wrote:

So a limit in the zone wouldn't matter, because they physically play on their own realm, but virtually connected to other realms.


Did you really just say someone does something on the internet physically?


As they say in carpentry: measure twice, cut once.

Considering the content, yep!



Go back to WoW. I'm sure you fit right in with the fairies and trolls and goblins or wtf ever those people roleplay.

Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#568 - 2013-07-10 19:35:06 UTC
Paul Leonard Kersey wrote:
Go back to WoW. I'm sure you fit right in with the fairies and trolls and goblins or wtf ever those people roleplay.



I play both games. What's your excuse? Scared of a goblin hurting your pee pee?

Lol

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Paul Leonard Kersey
Doomheim
#569 - 2013-07-10 19:48:26 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Paul Leonard Kersey wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:

Hey guys.

We've been pretty busy talking about stuff internally, which is why there's been no communication in this thread.

I'll gather up some of the questions from here, and see if I can pin some answers to them in the next few days.



Oh 5 days and 27 pages later you care?

More like "They're not letting it die! Quick to damage control!"



There's thing thing, it's called the weekend, and it's that time where a lot of our development team spend time with their families after working long hours all week.


There's this thing, it's called customer service, and it's something a company provides it's paying customers (not just when it's convenient for you).

If what you meant to say was, "everyone at CCP takes a 4 day weekend, and leaves no one around to even make a forum post" then that might just be your problem.



Onictus
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#570 - 2013-07-10 19:50:35 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Onictus wrote:
Blizzard hasn't come close to fixing it, hence the cap on that outdoor PvP area in lich king.


It's been 4 years since WotLK. Since September 2012, the WoW you know doesn't exist anymore.

There's no caps.

The world you know has been expanded to the point of those you play with aren't on your realm.

You goto Icecrown and the players there now are split from a dozen realms. So a limit in the zone wouldn't matter, because they physically play on their own realm, but virtually connected to other realms.

5.4 patch it's virtually merging 10+ realms together including the AH. At this rate, WoW will be EvE as a one world Azeroth, but on independent realms in different datacenters around the country, nowhere connected physically.


And you are telling me that zone isn't instanced in some way? Our do you have ten servers merged into all outdoor zones.

Because otherwise it sounds like they just extended the battlegroup architecture
Paul Leonard Kersey
Doomheim
#571 - 2013-07-10 19:57:29 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Paul Leonard Kersey wrote:
Go back to WoW. I'm sure you fit right in with the fairies and trolls and goblins or wtf ever those people roleplay.



I play both games. What's your excuse? Scared of a goblin hurting your pee pee?

Lol


What's my excuse?
I'm above the age of 12?
I'm not into role playing?
I don't care for the " I'm a night-elf your a wizard, lighting bolt!" crap?
I don't like games that simply hand you everything that you can never lose?

Take your pick.

I love Eve, have for over 10 years now. I understand people make mistakes, I'm just saying they shouldn't say "post in this thread only for feedback" then ignore it for 5 days.

I just want a little customer service for my money.
Arrendis
TK Corp
#572 - 2013-07-10 20:04:08 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:

Considering the content, yep!


Just checking. Carry on, then!
Kijo Rikki
Killboard Padding Services
#573 - 2013-07-10 20:04:49 UTC
Honestly, I've been trying to research it because I left before they even implemented the original form of CRZ, where you had to be invited to a raid from someone already on the realm. While I couldn't find any concrete documentation on how it works, nor could I find documentation that shows how many players it is capable of supporting, I found plenty of documentation on how much it sucks and how it lags with more than 50 players in one location. Lol

You make a valid point, good Sir or Madam. 

Onictus
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#574 - 2013-07-10 20:23:14 UTC
Kijo Rikki wrote:
Honestly, I've been trying to research it because I left before they even implemented the original form of CRZ, where you had to be invited to a raid from someone already on the realm. While I couldn't find any concrete documentation on how it works, nor could I find documentation that shows how many players it is capable of supporting, I found plenty of documentation on how much it sucks and how it lags with more than 50 players in one location. Lol


It used to be the cluster was a arranged geographically by continent, each continent was its own cluster than the instance servers.

The cross server mechanics linked the battlegroup to the instance servers but left the individual servers discreet.
CCP Falcon
#575 - 2013-07-11 13:45:25 UTC
Hey guys,

I've been through this thread and gathered a few questions, which were then forwarded on to everyone involved. What can be answered will be outlined briefly and directly in this post.

Firstly, there were a lot of questions about our reboot and node remapping mechanics in terms of aggression/log off timer persistence. Right now, there is no plan to change how this works. Had everything gone to plan this would have not been a factor, which means the key priority here is to identify the root cause of what happened and either enact change or put new systems in place to prevent a re-occurrence.

On Tuesday, we held a multi-disciplined postmortem of the chain of events that led up to the mass disconnect, and as a direct result we are making changes to our internal policies and our tools to ensure that this does not happen again. However, these changes do not include alterations to game mechanics that would lead to ships remaining in space, or changes that would lead to a solar system resuming the exact state it was after such an event.

In terms of addressing the costs associated with dedicating more computing power to meet the requirements of large fleet fights, we are always looking at avenues to improve server performance. However, in the same respect we recognize that as soon as performance is improved, our players will of course test the new limit and continue to push against it. This is a continuous battle for us, and something we remain heavily committed to.

There were also questions raised regarding how we move systems from one node to another, in terms of why persistence occurs for drones and wrecks, but not for ships. This is a simple matter of players being governed by log off timers that cause their removal from space. Wrecks and drones do not have a logged in player tied to them.

Finally, there were questions regarding Internal Affairs involvement in investigating what happened. Since the issue was immediately spotted, investigated and confirmed as a mistake, this negates the need for any IA investigation at this point.

This is all that can be said right now, so I hope this answers the bulk of the questions.

Smile


CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

Ditrius Bedala
BecauseICaNDoIt
#576 - 2013-07-11 13:52:26 UTC
Don't comapre WoW and Eve.

You will never experience a large World PvP fight in WoW. During classic the fight of 40 Shamans Vs. 40 Paladins has crashed down the server. WoW is not designed for World PvP and Blizzard was constantly killing World PvP since BC(January 2007).
Xolve
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#577 - 2013-07-11 13:54:41 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
I play both games. What's your excuse? Scared of a goblin hurting your pee pee?
Lol


Do you have to connect the two in every post you make?
Djana Libra
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#578 - 2013-07-11 13:59:14 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Hey guys,

SNIP



Thank you for the update.
Arrendis
TK Corp
#579 - 2013-07-11 20:26:18 UTC
Falcon;

Thanks for the update - seriously. I know I harped on the 'hey, how about acknowledging the thread' thing, but I do appreciate that when things started moving, they moved quickly, efficiently, and you've kept us in the loop on that process.
Arrendis
TK Corp
#580 - 2013-07-11 20:28:06 UTC
Xolve wrote:
Ace Uoweme wrote:
I play both games. What's your excuse? Scared of a goblin hurting your pee pee?
Lol


Do you have to connect the two in every post you make?


But... but... they're already connected! Look at a map of WoW! There! Right there between the two continents!

The MAELSTROM. Clearly, the Minmatar have established a presence on Azeroth.