These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Issues, Workarounds & Localization

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

The new launcher and the web server issues on the 21st of May: FAQ and update thread

First post First post
Author
CCP Atropos
C C P
C C P Alliance
#41 - 2013-05-23 19:53:45 UTC
Mag's wrote:
Is there some way to stop the launcher checking the client, every time I start it up?

The old system was start Eve, paste password, log in.

The new system is start launcher, type in username, Ctrl v password, wait for it to check the client, log in, press play. I tend to simply go and make myself a cuppa while it checks. Not fun.

If this is happening everytime you start the client then something isn't working correctly. Are you able to file a bug repoet and attach your logs; I'm hoping that they contain a hint of what might be wrong, allowing us to if not solve it, at least work out why it's happening and offer some idea of a solution.
Madlof Chev
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#42 - 2013-05-23 19:54:33 UTC
CCP Atropos wrote:

We're actively working on these issues and if you check against Singularity you should see that switching user accounts resets the 'Launching...' state of the button.


This is good news, thanks for responding~
Lord Haur
Star Frontiers
Brotherhood of Spacers
#43 - 2013-05-23 19:56:49 UTC
CCP Guard wrote:
veera Haklar wrote:
Any way around the sp going to highest current sp toons on an account, The highest sp toon on my account is certainly not my main, and is infact a character i don't even use anymore, or should i just shut up and be greatfull? :p


I'm really sorry but we don't have a mechanism to allow players to choose which character the skill points go to. The pool is character specific so we have to choose the same criteria for everyone and this is the best criteria overall.

I trust you are referring only to the initial mass allocation of free SP. I sincerely hope that it's possible for us to get that pool of free SP moved via a petition.
MaRU2760 133
Unit 439
#44 - 2013-05-23 19:59:16 UTC
CCP Atropos wrote:


The space that's used in the bottom left for rotating images isn't just for advertising; it can be for anything. Of the three images currently in rotation, one is inviting you to watch a video on YouTube, another is for DUST 514 which is free to play and only the third, for the 10th Anniversary Collectors Edition, is for something that entails real money.

I really don't want the EVE Launcher to become a pure advertising platform either; by having the embedded browser in it, we can bring our video devblogs, Twitch.tv streams and other such things directly to the users, along with important information about patch notes (a link that has been frequently requested), account management and expansion information.


I can understand that, but are you sure it is what the majority of the players want? IMHO, the less time spent on the Login screen, the better.
Doublewhopper
Temporary Assignment
#45 - 2013-05-23 19:59:36 UTC
CCP Atropos wrote:
...the embedded browser in it...


I'm guessing that this is what is causing all the problems.

Why not code at least this portion new so that you can login when this mechanic is not working?

I'm starting a game up to - wait for it - starting up the game! Not for watching videos and clicking links...
Symbiotes
Genesis Nation
The Bastion
#46 - 2013-05-23 20:00:08 UTC
CCP Guard wrote:
veera Haklar wrote:
Any way around the sp going to highest current sp toons on an account, The highest sp toon on my account is certainly not my main, and is infact a character i don't even use anymore, or should i just shut up and be greatfull? :p


I'm really sorry but we don't have a mechanism to allow players to choose which character the skill points go to. The pool is character specific so we have to choose the same criteria for everyone and this is the best criteria overall.


Are you saying that you awesome people at CCP are unable to just use the redeem items mechanics for this SP gift?
Redeem gift on character x, sp from gift are added to pool on chosen character. Doesn't seem like a very complicated matter to me. :)


Regarding the launching of the eve client, please please please dont remove the current mechanic of directly calling the exefile UNLESS you provide a very reliable and fast method of starting several clients. If you do not, you'll lose all your multiboxers real fast. Hint: the launcher really isn't this atm.
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#47 - 2013-05-23 20:00:38 UTC
Liang Nuren wrote:
CCP Guard wrote:
… While this issue was not universally experienced and over 30,000 pilots were able to log in normally before we fixed the issue, we do feel this special case does require a special thank you (for your patience) from CCP.

During tomorrow's downtime we will add 50.000 skillpoints (representing roughly a day’s worth of intense skill training) to the character with the highest number of skill points on each active account (the presumed main). …


Thanks. Totally unnecessary but appreciated nonetheless. Good luck :)

-Liang


Yup, what Liang said! This SP gift is more than we deserve Lol

When raising the issue in game and asking why so many people were caught with skill training expiring on that day, I was told that this update was not flagged sufficiently far in advance. Can CCP comment on how early they had started announcing the upcoming patch through the MOTD? I would expect that 1 week of warning is more than sufficient for people to get their affairs into order.

As for the players: from past history there are three things you need to be aware of when there is a patch imminent:

  1. Ensure you have a long skill training queue prior to the patch, ideally a week since there has been at least one instance in the past of a multi-day scramble to get EVE running reliably again. I think it was Apocrypha or Dominion which had about two emergency restarts a day for two or three days after the patch because things had gone awry.
  2. Don't try logging in before the servers are back up and running.
  3. Watch the forums and don't bother with EVE until the whining and thread locking has stopped. A good measure of when this has occurred is when you see no locked threads on the first page of GD.

Par'Gellen
#48 - 2013-05-23 20:01:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Par'Gellen
CCP Atropos wrote:
Log off button removed
- Historically the log off button hasn't functioned as a log off feature; the button used to simply close the current Client, and start a new one on the login screen. Since it is our goal to remove this login screen, the log off button doesn't make sense. There is some design that needs to be done here, since the intent of most people clicking the button is to take them back to either a) the character selection screen so that they can switch characters or to the login screen to change users.

Logging out to switch accounts would not be useful. If I want to play another account I just launch a new client.

However, logging off to the character selection screen on the same account would be AWESOME!
I'd use that all day long!

"To err is human", but it shouldn't be the company motto...

Alphea Abbra
Project Promethion
#49 - 2013-05-23 20:04:15 UTC
CCP Guard wrote:
During tomorrow's downtime we will add 50.000 skillpoints (representing roughly a day’s worth of intense skill training) to the character with the highest number of skill points on each active account (the presumed main). Here’s a quick guide on how to apply those skillpoints.
Instead of useless SP for accounts that is suddenly a hassle to log on through the intended game launcher, can we get an actual solution to the problem that you folks managed to create?
I do hope that you noticed the 2674 replies to the thread - will you continue to do nothing?

We'll be watching what you do, instead of what you say.
(Paraphrased from when your CEO realised how you had ****ed up last time)

If the intended launcher to the game doesn't work, why did you promise to remove the way that currently works (bin/ExeFile.exe)?

If I sound distrustful then it's because I am.
This has happened before, and I don't like your current attempt at bribery.
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#50 - 2013-05-23 20:04:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Mara Rinn
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Phase 2: master account / single sign on.

It's an extension of the above.

Now when you check an account name, it automatically expands and shows the 3 characters in that account. The user chooses which character to play with a simple checkbox.

One button to start all the selected characters, no hassle, no need to select characters in game any more => usability.

This hierarchical selection is more difficult to code, but you can implement it well past Odyssey.


Screenshot.


Or simply have each account represented by a drop-down box displaying the 1-3 characters on that account with a checkbox to launch a client for that account.

Or with amalgamated accounts, simply have two columns: one for number of paid login slots (aka "subscriptions"), the other with all the characters associated with this account. Player drags characters into login slots, clicks "Play", launcher spawns the required clients, connected to the selected character(s).
CCP Guard
C C P
C C P Alliance
#51 - 2013-05-23 20:04:36 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:
Liang Nuren wrote:
CCP Guard wrote:
… While this issue was not universally experienced and over 30,000 pilots were able to log in normally before we fixed the issue, we do feel this special case does require a special thank you (for your patience) from CCP.

During tomorrow's downtime we will add 50.000 skillpoints (representing roughly a day’s worth of intense skill training) to the character with the highest number of skill points on each active account (the presumed main). …


Thanks. Totally unnecessary but appreciated nonetheless. Good luck :)

-Liang


Yup, what Liang said! This SP gift is more than we deserve Lol

When raising the issue in game and asking why so many people were caught with skill training expiring on that day, I was told that this update was not flagged sufficiently far in advance. Can CCP comment on how early they had started announcing the upcoming patch through the MOTD? I would expect that 1 week of warning is more than sufficient for people to get their affairs into order.

As for the players: from past history there are three things you need to be aware of when there is a patch imminent:

  1. Ensure you have a long skill training queue prior to the patch, ideally a week since there has been at least one instance in the past of a multi-day scramble to get EVE running reliably again. I think it was Apocrypha or Dominion which had about two emergency restarts a day for two or three days after the patch because things had gone awry.
  2. Don't try logging in before the servers are back up and running.
  3. Watch the forums and don't bother with EVE until the whining and thread locking has stopped. A good measure of when this has occurred is when you see no locked threads on the first page of GD.



We weren't early enough with the deployment announcements. We were not happy with our communication on that day in general.

CCP Guard | EVE Community Developer | @CCP_Guard

Cevin North
Red Dwarf Mining Corporation
space weaponry and trade
#52 - 2013-05-23 20:07:30 UTC
Although i prefer to be asocial and stay away as far as possible from facepalmbook, twatter and all the other wubbish they ffer as " social media" i prefer social media to be live human being. If you can get those on the launcher id be happy, but for now ill settle for a hologram....

Seriously, if u want facvebook, i know where to find it. If i want twitter, yeah i know where to find it too. If i want EVE ONLINE, i also know where to find it... Right there, on my desktop, as top priority game (the only one actualy who made it ON the desktop). For now i run my eve clients on a 5 year old PC who is happy munching away with 2 clients under linux to keep my gameplay normal and decent.

As your launcher, being as buggy as it is, showed me it works on HTML it should also be possible to launch our client trough the commandline directly, with the fancy use of an EVE (Or even better character portrait) portal.

Is it at all possible to make your currently not working thingie into something usefull so we can actualy enjoy EVE ONline? The one thing i do pay for...

And yes, seeing my char`s pics on my desktop to click on, Even if it looked like a non memory consuming widget sounds a lot more fun to me than this new launcher.


This game used to be unique in its game design and artistic preformance by its makers. Yes thats you CCP, but lately, it feels like the challange gets removed, the " we dare" is removed from your developers more and more.

Dare to develop something stunning that you can use from a desktop, from the applications you want to launch your game from (wich i know is why u do this) and offer us something amazing, not something crappy...
Obunagawe
#53 - 2013-05-23 20:09:09 UTC
Atropos, do you realise that the launcher leaks memory horribly after you've closed it? Closing and reopening the launcher 10 times will result in 10 dead processes using a total of over 1GB RAM to do precisely nothing.

Just another bad thing to add to the list.
Lord Haur
Star Frontiers
Brotherhood of Spacers
#54 - 2013-05-23 20:11:08 UTC
CCP Guard wrote:

We weren't early enough with the deployment announcements. We were not happy with our communication on that day in general.
You haven't been early enough with deployment announcements for a little while. This is one of the two that stands out, the other being the deployment of Retribution 1.2 on May 6th, when the announcement was barely 8h ahead of the extended downtime and associated 500MB patch.

I would expect at least a couple days warning for such large deployments and significant changes to the login mechanism.
Rommiee
Mercury Inc.
#55 - 2013-05-23 20:11:33 UTC
So... would you like to answer the question that pretty much everyone has been asking over the last couple of days, but you have avoided :

Time and time again, you introduce a new "feature" on to Sisi, and when major issues are found by the players testing the said feature, you pretty much ignore the feedback given to you and bring it on to TQ anyway.

You always apologise afterwards and promise to do things better in the future, but surprise surprise it happens again, and again, and again. You never seem to learn by past mistakes and never keep your word about changing your procedures.

Therefore do not be surprised when we do not believe a word you say.

Quote:
Your voices have been heard loud and clear and we've been busy taking notes so we'd like to ask you to help us move forward in this thread and keep the feedback focused and constructive. Thank you


We have heard that so many times,
Zappity
Exit-Strategy
Unchained Alliance
#56 - 2013-05-23 20:12:59 UTC
Why is it slower? Why does it take longer to log in? A step back. Focus on password entry. Let me use keyboard to switch login name quickly.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

Smoking Blunts
ZC Omega
Goonswarm Federation
#57 - 2013-05-23 20:15:18 UTC
Rommiee wrote:
So... would you like to answer the question that pretty much everyone has been asking over the last couple of days, but you have avoided :

Time and time again, you introduce a new "feature" on to Sisi, and when major issues are found by the players testing the said feature, you pretty much ignore the feedback given to you and bring it on to TQ anyway.

You always apologise afterwards and promise to do things better in the future, but surprise surprise it happens again, and again, and again. You never seem to learn by past mistakes and never keep your word about changing your procedures.

Therefore do not be surprised when we do not believe a word you say.

Quote:
Your voices have been heard loud and clear and we've been busy taking notes so we'd like to ask you to help us move forward in this thread and keep the feedback focused and constructive. Thank you


We have heard that so many times,



^^^^ this

I gave feedback on the launcher and was clearly told 'that it was ok if you annoyed some multiboxers'
im guessing they didn't think they would annoy many more than that with this very pointless addition to the login process

OMG when can i get a pic here

Iokasti palaiologou
DAMSEL In Duress
#58 - 2013-05-23 20:15:24 UTC
CCP Guard wrote:
With the deployment of Retribution 1.2.4 and the deployment of the new launcher, we received reports internally and externally that people were unable to connect to Tranquility thanks to some misconfigured servers. While this issue was not universally experienced and over 30,000 pilots were able to log in normally before we fixed the issue, we do feel this special case does require a special thank you (for your patience) from CCP.

During tomorrow's downtime we will add 50.000 skillpoints (representing roughly a day’s worth of intense skill training) to the character with the highest number of skill points on each active account (the presumed main). Here’s a quick guide on how to apply those skillpoints.

We're sorry for the inconvenience and we hope you can use these skill points on your adventures.

Your voices have been heard loud and clear and we've been busy taking notes so we'd like to ask you to help us move forward in this thread and keep the feedback focused and constructive. Thank you.


When CCP Guard opens the gift bag people get very happy. Thanks Guard. Keep in mind you ow us a pic with the sword you won-earned.
Alphea Abbra
Project Promethion
#59 - 2013-05-23 20:15:36 UTC
Rommiee wrote:
So... would you like to answer the question that pretty much everyone has been asking over the last couple of days, but you have avoided :

Time and time again, you introduce a new "feature" on to Sisi, and when major issues are found by the players testing the said feature, you pretty much ignore the feedback given to you and bring it on to TQ anyway.

You always apologise afterwards and promise to do things better in the future, but surprise surprise it happens again, and again, and again. You never seem to learn by past mistakes and never keep your word about changing your procedures.

Therefore do not be surprised when we do not believe a word you say.

Quote:
Your voices have been heard loud and clear and we've been busy taking notes so we'd like to ask you to help us move forward in this thread and keep the feedback focused and constructive. Thank you


We have heard that so many times,
+1 so many times.
CCP if you're going to apologise, at least make it a real apology.
Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#60 - 2013-05-23 20:15:38 UTC
CCP Guard wrote:
With the deployment of Retribution 1.2.4 and the deployment of the new launcher, we received reports internally and externally that people were unable to connect to Tranquility thanks to some misconfigured servers. While this issue was not universally experienced and over 30,000 pilots were able to log in normally before we fixed the issue, we do feel this special case does require a special thank you (for your patience) from CCP.

During tomorrow's downtime we will add 50.000 skillpoints (representing roughly a day’s worth of intense skill training) to the character with the highest number of skill points on each active account (the presumed main). Here’s a quick guide on how to apply those skillpoints.

We're sorry for the inconvenience and we hope you can use these skill points on your adventures.

Your voices have been heard loud and clear and we've been busy taking notes so we'd like to ask you to help us move forward in this thread and keep the feedback focused and constructive. Thank you.


Free SP is nice and appreciated


but what if you have a retired character
and a new main with less SP than the other ?