These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Live Events Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page
 

Any plans for WH live events?

First post
Author
Ilaister
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2013-05-03 17:47:57 UTC
I die a little inside every time our WH opens up the arse-end of null when I want to go play with the Devs and have some RP fun.

Does Anoikis fit into any of the Immersioneers plans?

(caveats include - yes I know how to roll a hole and camp in k-space, I just have.. uh. Responsibilities, you know?)
Grideris
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2013-05-04 00:51:28 UTC
This was one of the questions asked at the round table at Fanfest. One of the key issues was accessibility due to the nature of wormholes. It's something they are interested in, it's just a matter of how they'll do it in a way that people can get there, without breaking everything.

http://www.dust514.org - the unofficial forum for everything DUST 514 http://www.dust514base.com -** the** blog site with everything else DUST 514 you need

HTC NecoSino
Out of Focus
Odin's Call
#3 - 2013-05-06 12:57:44 UTC
Queue a massive wormhole into some unknown system (class 7?) with a giant fight between WH corps to control this new-found system Big smile

I wonder what the wormhole info would say... "This wormhole leads to your ultimate demise."
Xindi Kraid
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#4 - 2013-05-06 22:19:32 UTC
It would be really cool to have live events in wormholes, but accessibility would be an issue.
Anyone who has ever done a move can tell you how much trouble it is getting to a SPECIFIC system through wormholes. I suppose some of that could be alleviated if WH paths were broadcast publicly, but that would likely lead to them being camped horribly, and interesting things might happen regarding any locals in the transit systems.
Drunein
Lockheed Nighthawk
#5 - 2013-05-08 23:29:54 UTC
HTC NecoSino wrote:
Queue a massive wormhole into some unknown system (class 7?) with a giant fight between WH corps to control this new-found system Big smile

I wonder what the wormhole info would say... "This wormhole leads to your ultimate demise."


That would be awesome to have only one C7... May the best alliance call it home. May the best squads give them hell.
Princess Saskia
Hyperfleet Industries
xXPlease Pandemic Citizens Reloaded Alliance.Xx
#6 - 2013-05-09 10:32:24 UTC
We need more live events.

 ♥ 

CCP Goliath
C C P
C C P Alliance
#7 - 2013-05-10 20:08:10 UTC
If people have ideas of how, logistically, we could hold events in W-space, we are all ears. We have a few, but they are technically very challenging and would love to hear some out-of-the-box stuff from you guys!

CCP Goliath | QA Director | EVE Illuminati | @CCP_Goliath

Zaxix
State War Academy
Caldari State
#8 - 2013-05-10 20:43:46 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:
If people have ideas of how, logistically, we could hold events in W-space, we are all ears. We have a few, but they are technically very challenging and would love to hear some out-of-the-box stuff from you guys!

In some of the hisec Sansha events, there was some sort of WH or jump technology employed in which the storyline reports that capsuleers are somehow probing through to the other side. I forget the details now, but I'm sure you guys have it all written down. Well, just open that WH/gate. Start the event in hisec, port people through. I guess there would be some questions about people camping the WH side or something similar.

Or maybe two starting points, one for each side of a battle that takes place in the WH. Each side has a CCP person running it. Then they can coordinate putting everyone into the WH at the same time to eliminate the initial barrier of people camping the entry point.

Just some thoughts.

Bokononist

 

Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#9 - 2013-05-11 01:32:28 UTC
Zaxix wrote:
CCP Goliath wrote:
If people have ideas of how, logistically, we could hold events in W-space, we are all ears. We have a few, but they are technically very challenging and would love to hear some out-of-the-box stuff from you guys!

In some of the hisec Sansha events, there was some sort of WH or jump technology employed in which the storyline reports that capsuleers are somehow probing through to the other side. I forget the details now, but I'm sure you guys have it all written down. Well, just open that WH/gate. Start the event in hisec, port people through. I guess there would be some questions about people camping the WH side or something similar.

Or maybe two starting points, one for each side of a battle that takes place in the WH. Each side has a CCP person running it. Then they can coordinate putting everyone into the WH at the same time to eliminate the initial barrier of people camping the entry point.

Just some thoughts.

How does this solve the 'unpredictability' of WH space with regards to bonuses. Different types of WH's call for very different set ups, and live events are come as you are normally. meaning it's pure pot luck what happens to your ships. Especially since a lot of the live event NPC's are down racial lines and some of the player fleets are as well. Meaning it's pure pot luck if your armour is at -50% and you are dead meat to a tiny shield fleet at that point.
Mirima Thurander
#10 - 2013-05-11 03:37:27 UTC
Nevyn Auscent wrote:
Zaxix wrote:
CCP Goliath wrote:
If people have ideas of how, logistically, we could hold events in W-space, we are all ears. We have a few, but they are technically very challenging and would love to hear some out-of-the-box stuff from you guys!

In some of the hisec Sansha events, there was some sort of WH or jump technology employed in which the storyline reports that capsuleers are somehow probing through to the other side. I forget the details now, but I'm sure you guys have it all written down. Well, just open that WH/gate. Start the event in hisec, port people through. I guess there would be some questions about people camping the WH side or something similar.

Or maybe two starting points, one for each side of a battle that takes place in the WH. Each side has a CCP person running it. Then they can coordinate putting everyone into the WH at the same time to eliminate the initial barrier of people camping the entry point.

Just some thoughts.

How does this solve the 'unpredictability' of WH space with regards to bonuses. Different types of WH's call for very different set ups, and live events are come as you are normally. meaning it's pure pot luck what happens to your ships. Especially since a lot of the live event NPC's are down racial lines and some of the player fleets are as well. Meaning it's pure pot luck if your armour is at -50% and you are dead meat to a tiny shield fleet at that point.




there are far more "normal" WH systems than systems with effects.

All automated intel should be removed from the game including Instant local/jumps/kills/cynos for all systems/regions.Eve should report nothing like this to the client/3rd party software.Intel should not be force fed to players. Player skill and iniative should be the sources of intel.

Zaxix
State War Academy
Caldari State
#11 - 2013-05-11 04:11:35 UTC
Nevyn Auscent wrote:
How does this solve the 'unpredictability' of WH space with regards to bonuses. Different types of WH's call for very different set ups, and live events are come as you are normally. meaning it's pure pot luck what happens to your ships. Especially since a lot of the live event NPC's are down racial lines and some of the player fleets are as well. Meaning it's pure pot luck if your armour is at -50% and you are dead meat to a tiny shield fleet at that point.

When was that a consideration? Not that it isn't one, but it isn't mentioned here. He specified logistics, by which i thought he meant, how can everyone who isn't a scan-master diving two systems deep into a WH chain get a chance to participate. It's easy enough for them to predetermine which system to hold it in. Or to invent an entirely new one. Or a temporary one. Or whatever the hell else they want to do.

Bokononist

 

Heinel Coventina
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2013-05-12 00:49:53 UTC
Xindi Kraid wrote:
It would be really cool to have live events in wormholes, but accessibility would be an issue.
Anyone who has ever done a move can tell you how much trouble it is getting to a SPECIFIC system through wormholes. I suppose some of that could be alleviated if WH paths were broadcast publicly, but that would likely lead to them being camped horribly, and interesting things might happen regarding any locals in the transit systems.


If the paths were broadcast then it also on some level defeats the purpose of holding an event in W-space. The biggest thing that sets it apart from anywhere else was that it was difficult to navigate through, after all.

I think the best way to make a w-space event is to create something that doesn't take too much overhead, and last for a longer period of time (1week - 1month) and just let people who are interested to figure out how to get there. It could serve as a motivator for people to check it out, and also drive activity for people who are already in.
CCP Goliath
C C P
C C P Alliance
#13 - 2013-05-14 01:02:48 UTC
Zaxix wrote:
Nevyn Auscent wrote:
How does this solve the 'unpredictability' of WH space with regards to bonuses. Different types of WH's call for very different set ups, and live events are come as you are normally. meaning it's pure pot luck what happens to your ships. Especially since a lot of the live event NPC's are down racial lines and some of the player fleets are as well. Meaning it's pure pot luck if your armour is at -50% and you are dead meat to a tiny shield fleet at that point.

When was that a consideration? Not that it isn't one, but it isn't mentioned here. He specified logistics, by which i thought he meant, how can everyone who isn't a scan-master diving two systems deep into a WH chain get a chance to participate. It's easy enough for them to predetermine which system to hold it in. Or to invent an entirely new one. Or a temporary one. Or whatever the hell else they want to do.


If it was easy, we'd do it :)

I meant basically everything in the broadest definition of logistics. How to get people in, how to get people out, how to not have a hole collapse behind us, how to control our destination to make the event meaningful. These things aren't easy.

CCP Goliath | QA Director | EVE Illuminati | @CCP_Goliath

Aldrith Shutaq
PIE Inc.
Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris
#14 - 2013-05-14 02:02:24 UTC
Its seems the only way to do it would be to let people know which w-system an event will happen in and give them enough time to move assets there in preparation. Wormholes by definition are limiting factors since they are hard to find and you can only fit so many ships through one.

After reading the new chronicle today I had an idea that perhaps Real Jamyl opens up about her 'condition' to someone like Artico or someone else and they secretly task a few trusted loyalist corps and alliances with going into a certain W-space system to find a device that can purge the Other from her head. The Other catches wind of this and sends others to hunt them down and stop them. It would be less of a event than a dev-promoted plotline that the players carry out, but there might be a confrontation in said W-space system that the devs have actors in. Could be interesting?

Aldrith Ter'neth Shutaq Newelle

Fleet Captain of the Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris

Divine Commodore of the 24th Imperial Crusade

Lord Consort of Lady Mitara Newelle, Champion of House Sarum and Holder of Damnidios Para'nashu

Faulx
Brother Fox Corp
#15 - 2013-05-14 04:25:35 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:
I meant basically everything in the broadest definition of logistics. How to get people in, how to get people out, how to not have a hole collapse behind us, how to control our destination to make the event meaningful. These things aren't easy.

*looks at Goliath funny* Are you seriously saying you have so little technical support (GM-MAGIC) that you cannot temporarily crate a re-skinned jump bridge from one system to another?

  • How to get people in: Place an LCO with a "jump" icon somewhere in k-space. Have it "jump" somewhere in w-space.
  • How to get people out: Place an LCO with a "jump" icon in that same system in w-space. Have that LCO be visible on the overview, like a cyno.
  • Hold the event.
  • How to not have a hole collapse behind us: When it's time for the event to end, broadcast a warning (or multiple warnings) that the LCO is about to "collapse" and if they don't get a move on, they may become stuck. Remove LCO. Anyone left behind either scans for the local static or takes the pod express.
  • How to control our destination to make the event meaningful: Don't use an already existing mechanic. Go build a new one that lets you (the devs) select a destination. Aside from that, all you have to do is honor the mass limits of each area.

It really shouldn't be hard. It should be as simple as taking the "Jump Bridge" structure, removing its "Restricted To Security Level Less Than 0.1 " quality, adding a "can be seen on overview" quality, removing or reducing its fuel requirement, changing its graphic from a building to something else (wormhole, spatial rift, ect...), and changing its range to 1500 LY (and adding ship restrictions somehow.... perhaps slightly more challenging). Can you explain what's preventing you?
CCP Goliath
C C P
C C P Alliance
#16 - 2013-05-15 11:37:18 UTC
Faulx wrote:
CCP Goliath wrote:
I meant basically everything in the broadest definition of logistics. How to get people in, how to get people out, how to not have a hole collapse behind us, how to control our destination to make the event meaningful. These things aren't easy.

*looks at Goliath funny* Are you seriously saying you have so little technical support (GM-MAGIC) that you cannot temporarily crate a re-skinned jump bridge from one system to another?

  • How to get people in: Place an LCO with a "jump" icon somewhere in k-space. Have it "jump" somewhere in w-space.
  • How to get people out: Place an LCO with a "jump" icon in that same system in w-space. Have that LCO be visible on the overview, like a cyno.
  • Hold the event.
  • How to not have a hole collapse behind us: When it's time for the event to end, broadcast a warning (or multiple warnings) that the LCO is about to "collapse" and if they don't get a move on, they may become stuck. Remove LCO. Anyone left behind either scans for the local static or takes the pod express.
  • How to control our destination to make the event meaningful: Don't use an already existing mechanic. Go build a new one that lets you (the devs) select a destination. Aside from that, all you have to do is honor the mass limits of each area.

It really shouldn't be hard. It should be as simple as taking the "Jump Bridge" structure, removing its "Restricted To Security Level Less Than 0.1 " quality, adding a "can be seen on overview" quality, removing or reducing its fuel requirement, changing its graphic from a building to something else (wormhole, spatial rift, ect...), and changing its range to 1500 LY (and adding ship restrictions somehow.... perhaps slightly more challenging). Can you explain what's preventing you?


You make a really staggering amount of assumptions about the tools we have at our disposal, and how easy or difficult stuff is. Seriously, I love your enthusiasm, but I'm also asking for a bit of trust here - I have nothing to gain by telling you we can't do something when we can't and I don't want to go into full blown technical detail every time I say this. I will make an exception this time and go into some high level detail.

"Place an LCO with a "jump" icon somewhere in k-space." - this doesn't exist so would have to be coded and authored. Also it would need a "dungeon" authored.

"Place an LCO with a "jump" icon in that same system in w-space." - you can't jump to W-space from K-space, so this is more coding (pretty advanced)

"Don't use an already existing mechanic. Go build a new one" - so now we're designing, coding, authoring and megatesting a new variant of the dungeon distribution system? That's easily 1.5 releases, probably more than 2.

" It should be as simple as... (list of 6 things)" is like saying "It should be as simple as getting a bill through government."

Sorry Faulx, I know you're super keen and you get frustrated, but you're asking for waaaaay more than you think you are.

CCP Goliath | QA Director | EVE Illuminati | @CCP_Goliath

Omnathious Deninard
Ministry of Silly Walks.
#17 - 2013-05-15 13:31:39 UTC
Could you now create a sleeper made worm hole stabilizer device, that is the goal of the event to destroy, that will hold open the worm hole. It would allow ships to come through without collapsing and maybe even have some fun effect like once the stabilizer is destroyed there is only a few minuets before the hole finally collapses.

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

Grideris
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2013-05-15 14:19:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Grideris
I honestly think going for the least amount of dev magic is the preferable solution. It helps to keep everything from getting out of hand, not just development/time/effort wise, but also story wise. It also allows them to put more effort into the events themselves.

Instead of doing a single "big" event in wormhole space, it might be better to make it so that there are "breadcrumbs" spread over lots of wormhole systems for people to find (like a number of abandoned Helios someone found as part of A'J). The event arc would be about finding and combining these clues to work out something (e.g. a final location for an event in known space after all/majority of the clues are found); a distributed event if you will, drawn out over a longer period of time as explorers find small nuggets of information as they travel. However if you decide to go this direction, it might be smart to mention that there is something to find out there so people don't just skim over them and discard them (with the abandoned Helios, the person that found it thought it belonged to an enemy and destroyed it and the plot item it was carrying - whoops).

I mentioned that known space would be the final location we'll end up at in my example The reason for this is because then we don't come back around to the "logistics problem" of getting people to the final destination in a wormhole. Not the greatest solution, and wormhole residents might feel a little cheated, but I honestly don't see a clean way to squeeze lots of people into a wormhole quickly (which is what you would need to run a big event). However to find where to go, you'll still need people combing unknown space for clues, so it still relies on WH space; without their clues, we can't find anything.

Then it just becomes a question of where in known space it would be, but I guess that answer might become clearer when a "group" involved is selected.

Food for thought.

http://www.dust514.org - the unofficial forum for everything DUST 514 http://www.dust514base.com -** the** blog site with everything else DUST 514 you need

Gouzu Kho
Kho Incorporated
The Lone Space Wolves
#19 - 2013-05-15 15:23:03 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:
If people have ideas of how, logistically, we could hold events in W-space, we are all ears. We have a few, but they are technically very challenging and would love to hear some out-of-the-box stuff from you guys!


I'm not sure if this is a good idea, or even logistically possible but I've been reading "priests of mars" again, and the idea of an explorator fleet looking for some long lost treasure seems like a cool concept to me.

An NPC entity, corp or faction would get hold of a map towards some mysterious sleeper treasure, and needs capsuleer help to find it. They would sound a call for help, and it would be up to the players to form up a fleet of small enough, but capable enough ships, and off we go into the deep end.

It would then be up to the players to help the NPC reach their target, with perhaps a storyline reward at the end of it should we succeed. Knowing wormhole space, that might be difficult Big smile

If wormholes can be spawned, CCP could perhaps set up a maze for us to scan through and find a route to a specific system.
Phoenix Jones
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2013-05-15 15:58:30 UTC
Sansha nations attempts a stable wormhole in their search of creating a route to Jove space. Launching several titans in a highsec system, all focus their super weapons and tear a rift into wormhole space (shows up as a warpin point), causing a invasion of sleepers into eve. Gallente forces launch a fleet to stop the multiple titans but find that a massive wormhole has appeared and sleepers are everywhere. Unexpectedly the sleepers have latched onto the titans and reinforced and refocused their weapons to keep the wormhole open. Sleeper motherships on the otherside of the wormhole is in control of the titans, remote repairing them.

Destroy the motherships, then destroy the titans.

5 hours of utter crazyness. 2 systems (wormhole and k-space). Help stop a invasion.

Yaay!!!!

123Next pageLast page