These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Jita Park Speakers Corner

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Vincent Athena - Running for CSM7

Author
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#1 - 2012-02-09 20:56:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Vincent Athena
Hello New Eden. I would like to offer myself, Vincent Athena, as a candidate to CSM7. I have been playing Eve for about 4 years. This particular pilot lives in W-space, while my others live in high sec.

In real life I am a Cal Tech graduate and work in the aerospace industry as an aircraft designer. I have several patents to my name. I believe this background has given me unique abilities to understand issues and find creative solutions.

The game does have issues that need addressing. Any solution to those issues will require considering how they will affect the game and how players will react to a change. Changes to Eve are full of unintended consequences. Some could have been avoided just by better understanding of the situation.

Consider the issue of high security wars. If these are made harder to avoid, how will players who get no pleasure from PvP combat change their behavior? Will that change be something that is good for the game?

I personally get little pleasure from PvP combat, although I have done it on several occasions. But I know the game would not work without it. Players who do enjoy PvP combat should definitely be able to find it. That is one issue I feel needs addressing: for a PvP game, it can be hard to find PvP.

On the other hand, if you are a player who takes little pleasure from PvP combat and simply wish to avoid it, then I understand your situation. I will help your voice to be heard.

My goal is to find solutions to issues that help everyone, no matter what part of the game you play, to have as much fun as possible.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Lyris Nairn
Perkone
Caldari State
#2 - 2012-02-09 20:59:57 UTC
Best of luck, space friend!

Sky Captain of Your Heart

Reddit: lyris_nairn Skype: lyris.nairn Twitter: @lyris_nairn

Savannah Zateki
Whispering Fang Syndicate
#3 - 2012-02-09 21:12:51 UTC
I second this.
Hawkfoe Raven
Chaos Hegemony Prime
#4 - 2012-02-09 21:31:09 UTC
Well said, my friend. You have my vote!
Henry Haphorn
Killer Yankee
#5 - 2012-02-09 21:39:33 UTC
Very well informative and not too verbose. I like it.

But I have a question for you.

In regards to industry (mining in particular), a number of us players (noob and veteran alike) feel that mining should be improved upon. Although many ideas were shared, a lot of us can't seem to come to a consensus as to which idea is the best. How will you approach this issue to help solve it?

Adapt or Die

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#6 - 2012-02-09 22:40:30 UTC
In terms of changing mining I've mostly thought about ideas for making mining harder to bot. For example, replace asteroid fields with a single large roid with ore deposits on the surface. You can target different parts of the surface. (The server would actually treat this roid as a large number of separate objects). Target a deposit and your miner will return ore. Target a non-ore spot and your miner runs its cycle and returns nothing. Now to hurt the bots: Ore deposits look different. A human can see it easily. A bot would have problems.

A change like this would take little coding effort from CCP and would cut out all the simple "timer" style mining bots.

As for other changes, first I would want to hear what the problems are. I actually like to mine now and then. It give me something in-game to do while chatting, watching TV, or reading. Mining is an activity for people who just want to kick back and relax. I would not want to change it in a way that makes it not enjoyable for those people.

Frozen fanfiction

Gaia Ma'chello
Photosynth
#7 - 2012-02-10 14:23:27 UTC
Looks good, but tell me what wondrous ideas you have for the PLEX?
Blawrf McTaggart
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2012-02-10 16:43:54 UTC
I, for one, support this.
Minmatar Citizen 769594585726
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2012-02-10 17:14:14 UTC
Airplanes rock. +1
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#10 - 2012-02-10 18:15:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Vincent Athena
Gaia Ma'chello wrote:
Looks good, but tell me what wondrous ideas you have for the PLEX?

Ah, the PLEX...

The issue being its ever increasing price. When people talk about runaway inflation in Eve, its normally the PLEX that is the concern. What can be done to control its price?

First, I do not feel that CCP should do any direct price fixing. That sort of market interference usually does not end well. They can and do run PLEX sales, and those do tend to push down the PLEX.

The other thing they can do is step up anti-bot and anti-RMT efforts. Botters tend to pay for their accounts via PLEX, or if they pay with real money, not purchase as many PLEX. (I will use the term "purchase" to mean exchanging real money for PLEX, and "buy" for exchanging ISK for PLEX). Also anyone who purchases ISK from a RMT dealer directly takes potential income from CCP. If those who want to exchange money for ISK did it by purchasing a PLEX, CCP would get more money and the players get a cheaper PLEX.

Stepping up anti-bot and anti-RMT efforts may not even cost CCP much money, as it would increase PLEX sales.

Frozen fanfiction

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#11 - 2012-02-10 19:52:04 UTC
Adolf Hilmar wrote:
Airplanes rock. +1

Here is one I worked on. Oddly, called Helios.

Frozen fanfiction

Kelduum Revaan
The Ebon Hawk
#12 - 2012-02-10 20:01:42 UTC
Good luck Vincent!

Good to see another Uni Alumni getting involved :)
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#13 - 2012-02-10 20:06:20 UTC
Thanks, Keld! Good luck to you too!

Frozen fanfiction

Romick Kracken
Photosynth
#14 - 2012-02-11 00:30:05 UTC
How would you change the CSM voting system?
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#15 - 2012-02-11 05:01:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Vincent Athena
Voting for CSM: I like a method known as "Approval Voting". With this method each voter gets one vote per candidate. They can vote either "Yes, I approve" or "No I do not approve" for each one. The candidates that get the most "yes" votes get seats on the CSM.

With this method a member of a particular voting bloc does not have to worry about the effects of vote splitting, each member of the bloc hoping they happen to pick a candidate supporting their bloc that will win. You just vote "yes" for all you approve of.

Frozen fanfiction

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#16 - 2012-02-11 15:01:18 UTC
I would like to thank everyone who supported me and helped me get my 100 likes!

Thank You!

Frozen fanfiction

Grumpy Owly
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2012-02-21 16:25:11 UTC
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#18 - 2012-02-21 21:02:00 UTC
The bounty system as it stands is an almost useless part of the game. I have seen several suggestions to make it better, many following my line of thinking, such as those from Malcanis. Here are ideas I like, and those I do not.

I like the idea that the bounty payout should be proportional to the value lost by the target. There should be payouts for both ship destruction as well as pod destruction. By doing the payout this way a player with a bounty on them could not make money by having an alt kill them. Also as it is likely that any given payout would be less than the total bounty, the target can be killed multiple times before the entire bounty gets used up.

I also like the idea that the person placing the bounty can limit it to certain groups of players, such as their corp or alliance, or have it based on standings. I also think that the person placing the bounty should have the option that it cannot be collected by someone in the same corp, alliance, or with good standings to the target.

I think bounties should not be tied to kill rights. A “White Knight” with lots of ISK should be able to place a bounty on any criminal. Then again, anyone with kill rights should be able to place a bounty whoever killed them, even non-criminals, although those would expire with the kill rights. Bounties on criminals should not expire, unless the criminal goes straight and gets positive security rating. I also think that if I see someone with a bounty, I should be able to shoot without having to accept some sort of “bounty contract” first.

The bounty system should be set up to encourage people shooting at each other and making explosions in space, what we all came here to see.

Frozen fanfiction

Grumpy Owly
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#19 - 2012-02-21 21:07:46 UTC
ty for comments Vincent, copy placed in linked thread.
Azure Moonlight
Atomic Core Industries and Science
#20 - 2012-03-04 19:13:11 UTC
Hi Vincent,

just found out via the vote match that your priorities for CSM7 best fit my own interests. And it would also be great to have a somewhat older and experienced player for CSM.

S now I wonder how your campaign is going. Its been really quiet in here and I ask myself if you are still up for the job.

Yay 10 years! :D

12Next page