These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

 
4 Pages123Next pageLast page
 

What exactly do I do? (being wardecced)

Author
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2017-05-25 06:20:29 UTC
Hi,

So in the past few days my high-sec corporation has had several wars declared, and I am getting to the point where I have to ask the corp to abandon our high-sec system. Our station is being destroyed. For what reason? I have no idea.....

What is the purpose of this game?

I am becoming quite apathetic about Eve.

My corporation are mainly alpha miners, and so far we have suffered so much because of these wardecs. The help that we have hired has also not been effective.

I am thinking of moving to nullsec, but I don't want to because I am not a nullsec gamer. I am much happier in high-sec. I also thought that having my own corporation would be fun for the social content. And it was excellent over the last several weeks and I made a few friends. But now things are very dire.

Do I disband my corp? What a waste of time.

Why do enemy players have so much power of destruction in high sec?

Why why why?

Natocha
#2 - 2017-05-25 08:40:08 UTC
If you're only miners in HS, staying in NPC corporations is not only a strong advantage regarding wardecs, but you won't have problems having access to structures for your refining compressing and manufacturing needs.

Corporations are either solo with 1-2 alts or with enough people to fight back, there's other corps dedicated to wardec everything that moves which has even a glimpse of valuable content to shoot, like defenseless structures.

So as you stay alpha and mainly focus mining/industry, you will be better in NPC corps until you join an alliance or learn to avoir getting killed, by having multiple places in HS very far away from each other, using jump clones to travel fast.

In the name of Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen : “Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.”

The Wraithguard.
#3 - 2017-05-25 15:18:34 UTC
We get wardec all the time. We live in 0.0 so no worries!
#4 - 2017-05-26 08:53:13 UTC
Natocha Daisy wrote:
I also thought that having my own corporation would be fun for the social content. And it was excellent over the last several weeks and I made a few friends. But now things are very dire.


That's your mistake right there Big smile

Corporations in EvE aren't like guilds in other MMO. A corporation is a group of people who decide they can now defend themselves and don't need the protection of the NPC corp anymore. You get to choose your own tax rate, but in exchange you are open to attack by other player groups. You see EvE allows like minded folks to group up via private chat channels so you really don't need to have a corporation just to fly together and talk.

If you want assets in space like your own station however, you must create a corp. Before you do this you should be absolutely certain that you are ready to stand on your own two feet and defend what's yours against others who might want to kick over your sandcastle. The NPC corps have no wars, which is a trade off for slightly higher taxes.

Please try to understand that player corps in EvE are not a right, they are a privilege that must be paid for in effort. A shared chat channel accomplishes most things a corp does, so try that.
Ushra'Khan
#5 - 2017-05-26 11:29:35 UTC  |  Edited by: DrButterfly PHD
Setting up a citadel was probably a mistake. In your situation I'd drop and reform the corp every time i got war decced.

As alpha miners you might find low sec both more profitable and safer while you are war decced. As venture pilots you are well equipped for sneaking in and running away. You might even consider joining a faction miltia and supplying them with minerals. Minmatar always need minerals in low sec.
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2017-05-26 15:29:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Natocha Daisy
Keno Skir wrote:
Natocha Daisy wrote:
I also thought that having my own corporation would be fun for the social content. And it was excellent over the last several weeks and I made a few friends. But now things are very dire.


That's your mistake right there Big smile

Corporations in EvE aren't like guilds in other MMO. A corporation is a group of people who decide they can now defend themselves and don't need the protection of the NPC corp anymore. You get to choose your own tax rate, but in exchange you are open to attack by other player groups. You see EvE allows like minded folks to group up via private chat channels so you really don't need to have a corporation just to fly together and talk.

If you want assets in space like your own station however, you must create a corp. Before you do this you should be absolutely certain that you are ready to stand on your own two feet and defend what's yours against others who might want to kick over your sandcastle. The NPC corps have no wars, which is a trade off for slightly higher taxes.

Please try to understand that player corps in EvE are not a right, they are a privilege that must be paid for in effort. A shared chat channel accomplishes most things a corp does, so try that.


You have not helped me with my problem.
#7 - 2017-05-26 19:50:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Jones Beach
To the op - You need to decide what is fun for you as that will dictate how you respond. Imo pvp is the most fun part of the game, but from the tone of your message I assume all you want to do is mine - well there are many ways to this and be left alone. Basically, unless you have personally pissed someone off you are most likely dealing with hub huggers - these are pvp grps that war dec large numbers of seemingly active carebear corps in the hopes of easy fights in the trade hubs. The best thing to do with hub huggers is blue ball them - deny them fights and they will move on to something else. It is easy to deny them fights - for instance you can all drop corp and go to an npc corp for the duration of the war (keep in touch and organized through teamspeak, discord and/or in game channels) . Alternatively you can move to lowsec - its easy to live in lowsec and if you make friends with the local pirates, it can be quite fun. Hub huggers will not chase you into lowsec as a rule because they want easy fights.

The only thing then you have to worry about is about corp assets - first off a rat is only about 600 mil - so it is essentially disposable - use it in place of an ast which is about 1.2 bil. Make sure your rat and anything else (pocos, pos'es etc) are in a holding corp. Most likely you are drawing war dec because your corp is visible - either folk are being seen in the recruitment channels or in the hubs or elsewhere - a holding corp is largely invisible because it does nothing. This does not mean that someone cannot come out and look at your citadel and dec your holding corp because they certainly can do that, but hub huggers generally dont want to dec 1 man corps with no activity just to kill citadels (they are a pain to kill and drop nothing). In fact, in the highsec system next to where I live (lowsec) there many abandoned citadels and no one touches them because it is largely pointless and no fun. Finally, consider moving - there are many empty place in highsec where you can live - the father you are away from the hubs the less decs and harassment you will see.

Feel free to pm me in game if you have any questions.

PS One last note - putting "mining" in your corp name is like waving a red flag at a bull. Its funny, my friend is in a dedicated lowsec pvp - they deliberately including "mining" in their name even though the only mining they do is killing freighters. Its funny how many war decs they generate from folk who just glance at the name and dont even notice that they never leave lowsec.
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2017-05-26 20:49:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Natocha Daisy
Jones Beach wrote:
To the op - You need to decide what is fun for you as that will dictate how you respond. Imo pvp is the most fun part of the game, but from the tone of your message I assume all you want to do is mine - well there are many ways to this and be left alone. Basically, unless you have personally pissed someone off you are most likely dealing with hub huggers - these are pvp grps that war dec large numbers of seemingly active carebear corps in the hopes of easy fights in the trade hubs. The best thing to do with hub huggers is blue ball them - deny them fights and they will move on to something else. It is easy to deny them fights - for instance you can all drop corp and go to an npc corp for the duration of the war (keep in touch and organized through teamspeak, discord and/or in game channels) . Alternatively you can move to lowsec - its easy to live in lowsec and if you make friends with the local pirates, it can be quite fun. Hub huggers will not chase you into lowsec as a rule because they want easy fights.

The only thing then you have to worry about is about corp assets - first off a rat is only about 600 mil - so it is essentially disposable - use it in place of an ast which is about 1.2 bil. Make sure your rat and anything else (pocos, pos'es etc) are in a holding corp. Most likely you are drawing war dec because your corp is visible - either folk are being seen in the recruitment channels or in the hubs or elsewhere - a holding corp is largely invisible because it does nothing. This does not mean that someone cannot come out and look at your citadel and dec your holding corp because they certainly can do that, but hub huggers generally dont want to dec 1 man corps with no activity just to kill citadels (they are a pain to kill and drop nothing). In fact, in the highsec system next to where I live (lowsec) there many abandoned citadels and no one touches them because it is largely pointless and no fun. Finally, consider moving - there are many empty place in highsec where you can live - the father you are away from the hubs the less decs and harassment you will see.

Feel free to pm me in game if you have any questions.

PS One last note - putting "mining" in your corp name is like waving a red flag at a bull. Its funny, my friend is in a dedicated lowsec pvp - they deliberately including "mining" in their name even though the only mining they do is killing freighters. Its funny how many war decs they generate from folk who just glance at the name and dont even notice that they never leave lowsec.


Thanks.
#9 - 2017-05-26 22:46:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Keno Skir
Natocha Daisy wrote:
Keno Skir wrote:
Natocha Daisy wrote:
I also thought that having my own corporation would be fun for the social content. And it was excellent over the last several weeks and I made a few friends. But now things are very dire.


That's your mistake right there Big smile

Corporations in EvE aren't like guilds in other MMO. A corporation is a group of people who decide they can now defend themselves and don't need the protection of the NPC corp anymore. You get to choose your own tax rate, but in exchange you are open to attack by other player groups. You see EvE allows like minded folks to group up via private chat channels so you really don't need to have a corporation just to fly together and talk.

If you want assets in space like your own station however, you must create a corp. Before you do this you should be absolutely certain that you are ready to stand on your own two feet and defend what's yours against others who might want to kick over your sandcastle. The NPC corps have no wars, which is a trade off for slightly higher taxes.

Please try to understand that player corps in EvE are not a right, they are a privilege that must be paid for in effort. A shared chat channel accomplishes most things a corp does, so try that.


Hi,
This really helps, thanks.
Wish I knew this before.


If there's anything i can help with in game don't be afraid to drop me an EvE Mail Smile The game is a tough one to crack all the way through but it's worth it, and i'm always happy to help out a newbean if needed o/

EDIT : That's pretty much the best I've ever seen anyone react to that revelation :P
#10 - 2017-05-26 22:51:17 UTC
Jones Beach wrote:
my friend is in a dedicated lowsec pvp - they deliberately including "mining" in their name even though the only mining they do is killing freighters. Its funny how many war decs they generate from folk who just glance at the name and dont even notice that they never leave lowsec.


Would you say their mining is.. mostly harmless?
#11 - 2017-05-27 01:13:10 UTC
Keno Skir wrote:
Jones Beach wrote:
my friend is in a dedicated lowsec pvp - they deliberately including "mining" in their name even though the only mining they do is killing freighters. Its funny how many war decs they generate from folk who just glance at the name and dont even notice that they never leave lowsec.


Would you say their mining is.. mostly harmless?



well i would say the name is increasingly inaccurate.


(That book is 24 years old - nobody is going to get any of these references....)
Ushra'Khan
#12 - 2017-05-27 08:48:39 UTC
Jones Beach wrote:
(That book is 24 years old - nobody is going to get any of these references....)


The film is newer. All the kids will have seen the film.
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2017-05-27 09:08:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Natocha Daisy
A lot of these responses provide alternative 'means' to avoid being wardecced.

I'm not interested in avoiding game mechanics. I'm interested in knowing why the game is packaged and publicized in a way that seems to appeal to carebears / players with no interest in or knowledge of the warfare/pvp content in Eve, and who end up making/joining corporations only to be hurt.

I don't see the point in playing an MMO if I don't join a corporation. A corporation should be about being part of a community that you choose how to direct: this does not necessarily mean war.

This game should be advertized as a war simulator, not a freelancing machine.

My corp has lost about 30 members so far since the wardeccs started, and currently we have 5 going.

And what exactly am I supposed to do?

I want an answer from the game developers.
#14 - 2017-05-27 16:37:00 UTC
Natocha Daisy wrote:
A lot of these responses provide alternative 'means' to avoid being wardecced.

I'm not interested in avoiding game mechanics. I'm interested in knowing why the game is packaged and publicized in a way that seems to appeal to carebears / players with no interest in or knowledge of the warfare/pvp content in Eve, and who end up making/joining corporations only to be hurt.

I don't see the point in playing an MMO if I don't join a corporation. A corporation should be about being part of a community that you choose how to direct: this does not necessarily mean war.

This game should be advertized as a war simulator, not a freelancing machine.

My corp has lost about 30 members so far since the wardeccs started, and currently we have 5 going.

And what exactly am I supposed to do?

I want an answer from the game developers.


You wont get an answer from the game developers. Moreover, with the exception of suicide ganking all pvp combat in highsec is consensual - you never have to fight a war if you dont want to - in fact there are numerous ways to avoid decs - that you do not want to learn about them or utilize them is totally on you. Its kinda like jumping into the middle of a baseball game and then complaining because noone want to play football with you. The game is exactly as it is advertised - you can do whatever you want - but so can other people - and when people come into conflict you have tools to help you along - if you do not want to use those tools that is not the dev's fault.
#15 - 2017-05-27 18:06:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Piugattuk
If you set up the Corp structure properly war deccs are not a problem, however never ever set up a citadel or other complex without the means to defend it, there are defective minds who only reason to do war decs is to pee on others (so not speaking of PVP you know what I mean), although some may consider it that because it is allowed in the game.

Then you get the obsessed that will tell you that if you don't want war decs don't form a Corp, and blah, blah, CCP has given you tools to dodge war decs, learn them, learn the EULA, it helps a lot.

Use a POS for your Corp if you can't defend your complex, if a war Dec hits, unanchor and fly away.
#16 - 2017-05-27 18:11:30 UTC
Natocha Daisy wrote:
A lot of these responses provide alternative 'means' to avoid being wardecced.

I'm not interested in avoiding game mechanics. I'm interested in knowing why the game is packaged and publicized in a way that seems to appeal to carebears / players with no interest in or knowledge of the warfare/pvp content in Eve, and who end up making/joining corporations only to be hurt.

I don't see the point in playing an MMO if I don't join a corporation. A corporation should be about being part of a community that you choose how to direct: this does not necessarily mean war.

This game should be advertized as a war simulator, not a freelancing machine.

My corp has lost about 30 members so far since the wardeccs started, and currently we have 5 going.

And what exactly am I supposed to do?

I want an answer from the game developers.


You have your answer if dodging is not what you want, it is a multi player PVP/PVE game, you can't be in a multi player game and not expect to be buggered, as supreme carebear even I get it.
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2017-05-27 20:15:38 UTC
Piugattuk wrote:
If you set up the Corp structure properly war deccs are not a problem, however never ever set up a citadel or other complex without the means to defend it, there are defective minds who only reason to do war decs is to pee on others (so not speaking of PVP you know what I mean), although some may consider it that because it is allowed in the game.

Then you get the obsessed that will tell you that if you don't want war decs don't form a Corp, and blah, blah, CCP has given you tools to dodge war decs, learn them, learn the EULA, it helps a lot.

Use a POS for your Corp if you can't defend your complex, if a war Dec hits, unanchor and fly away.


True dat.
Caldari State
#18 - 2017-05-27 22:49:08 UTC
Natocha Daisy wrote:


I'm not interested in avoiding game mechanics. I'm interested in knowing why the game is packaged and publicized in a way that seems to appeal to carebears / players with no interest in or knowledge of the warfare/pvp content in Eve, and who end up making/joining corporations only to be hurt.

.


How could someone interested in playing Eve not have knowledge about the warfare/pvp aspect of eve, it's the only thing that most "casuals" ever read about this game.

No interest is different, but still, if you've heard of Eve, you most likely knew to some extent what you were getting into when joining this game.

Perhaps you didn't realize just how deep this rabbit hole goes and to what lengths it's pathological (or creative depending on how you look at it) player base will go to make internet pixel space ships go boom.

Not trying to brush off the fact that someone is making your playtime unenjoyable, but it is one of the unique things about Eve. As have been said there are ways to defend yourself. Personally I find abject paranoia a good countermeasure (hence the posting alt).
Minmatar Republic
#19 - 2017-05-28 23:59:05 UTC
Well this conversation has been unhelpful.

Guess I'll just move along to the next game.
Caldari State
#20 - 2017-05-29 12:52:29 UTC
Natocha Daisy wrote:
I'm interested in knowing why the game is packaged and publicized in a way that seems to appeal to carebears / players with no interest in or knowledge of the warfare/pvp content in Eve, and who end up making/joining corporations only to be hurt.

I don't see the point in playing an MMO if I don't join a corporation. A corporation should be about being part of a community that you choose how to direct: this does not necessarily mean war


Almost every promotional video I've ever seen of EvE-Online that's been promoted or made by CCP features space battles.

Everything you make in EvE-Online is, ultimately, to make war.

EvE is also about interacting with others. Corporations are a great way to do that, and it gives you something to rally around and be proud of.

If all you want to do is click a button every 10 minutes and make virtual currency, I'm afraid to say EvE is not for you.

It's not CCP's fault for failing to notice 90% of the promotional material for the game you are playing, and while just about everyone agrees the war dec mechanics right now are horrible and need to be re-written pretty much from scratch, they are not going to change EvE to be risk free, and War/PvP is just another form of social interaction.
4 Pages123Next pageLast page
Forum Jump