These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Linux

 
123Next pageLast page
 

EVE Launcher for Linux

First post First post
Author
CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#1 - 2016-05-25 14:16:50 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Snorlax
The EVE Launcher is now available for Linux. Note that this does in no way suggest that CCP is officially supporting Linux - this is just something I've been working on as a side project, and basically comes out of the work I've done for adding Wine support to the launcher for Mac.

This launcher is a native Linux application that downloads a version of Wine built by me, from the same source as the Wine version running on the Mac.

As we don't officially support Linux the test coverage is rather poor. I have an Ubuntu machine on my desk, and CCP Maxwell one on his. We've had some brave volunteers try this out and the results have been promising - we've had positive reports from players on Arch and Debian as well as Ubuntu.

If this doesn't work on your setup, please tell us here on the forums, I'll see what I can do but don't expect support from Customer Service - we don't have the bandwidth to add another supported platform.

If I haven't scared you off and you want to give this a try, get the launcher binaries from here:
https://binaries.eveonline.com/evelauncher-1104891.tar.gz

Unpack this to your home directory (or wherever you prefer).

Run the evelauncher.sh shell script – this sets the LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that the evelauncher executable finds Qt in the installation folder. I’d recommend running it from a terminal to begin with so you get the error output in case there are missing dependencies.

Please let us know how this goes, and if you install any packages to get it to run, please keep track of them and let us know.

EDIT: Please start a new topic for issues you might have - this thread is getting quite long!

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

Jubakumbi
JDA Enterprises
#2 - 2016-05-25 15:12:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Jubakumbi
Just used the package.

Worked without incident.

I had, however, already tried to install PlayOnLinux to run EVE and added some things to the OS.

I am going to go back to a clean install and try from that.

Using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, i7, Dual GTX 670.
Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#3 - 2016-05-25 15:19:37 UTC
tested the early access version on Linux Mint 17.3 and it runs without problems.

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Jubakumbi
JDA Enterprises
#4 - 2016-05-25 17:52:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Jubakumbi
Installed Kubuntu 16.04, nVidia drivers, then Steam, just because I saw the launcher look for it the first time.

With Steam running or not, while the launcher itself runs, when I go to play, the 'blue line' moves for a bit, but then stops - looks like the game tries to start and then just crashes to me.

Trying to figure out where the problem is now...

EDIT:
My bad I guess - I had not installed any form of WINE - I install PlayOnLinux, just to test, and now EVE works.
Drilla
Lockstock.
Dead Terrorists
#5 - 2016-05-25 20:14:27 UTC
Is 64bit required to run the evelauncher or EVE itself on Linux?
Kismeteer
Bat Country
Pandemic Legion
#6 - 2016-05-25 21:05:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Kismeteer
This worked a lot smoother than previous versions! Launcher seemed to work fine for me, even got the second client working well. Wine 1.9.10, very nice! Seems to perform quite well with normal flying around on multiple accounts, good windowing, etc.

Please note that this installs the following stuff:

  • ~/evelauncher or wherever you untarred this to has the intial wine and qt install.
  • ~/EVE has EVE SharedCache
  • ~/.eve has the updater updates
  • ~/.cache/CCP/EVE has the QtWebEngine
  • ~/.nv/GLCache for your glcache (added)
  • ~/.config/CCP has the eve launcher configuration to set DX9 etc
  • ~/EVE/SharedCache/wineenv/drive_c has your wine environment
  • ~/EVE/SharedCache/wineenv/drive_c/users/${USER}/Local\ Settings/Application\ Data/CCP/EVE/c_tq_tranquility/ has your eve configurations like overviews etc (used to live in ~/.wine/drive_c/users/${USER}/Local Settings/Application Data/CCP/EVE)
  • ~/Documents/EVE gets captures and logs
  • ~/.QtWebEngineProcess is created and empty
  • ~/.EVE is empty


It would be convenient if some of these were relocated a little better, like collapsing evelauncher into subdirectories, with some of these things layered under there. Or standardize on ~/EVE with subdirectories, or .eve or .EVE or .config etc. Maybe change the evelauncher to untar to EVE/evelauncher with the evelauncher.sh in the EVE directory?

Really appreciate your support for the community, Snorlax.Lol It means a lot to those of us who use Linux.

Summary of errors:

[0525/153313:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(691)] Failed to load /home/${USER}/z/evelauncher/qtwebengine_resources.pak
Some features may not be available.
[0525/153313:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(691)] Failed to load /home/${USER}/z/evelauncher/qtwebengine_resources_100p.pak
Some features may not be available.
[0525/153313:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(691)] Failed to load /home/${USER}/z/evelauncher/qtwebengine_resources_200p.pak
Some features may not be available.
[0525/153313:WARNING:resource_bundle.cc(304)] locale_file_path.empty()
Installed Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /home/${USER}/z/evelauncher/translations/qtwebengine_locales. Trying application directory...
Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /home/${USER}/z/evelauncher/qtwebengine_locales. Trying fallback directory... Translations MAY NOT not be correct.
[0525/153313:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(691)] Failed to load /home/${USER}/z/evelauncher/qtwebengine_resources.pak
Some features may not be available.
[0525/153313:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(691)] Failed to load /home/${USER}/z/evelauncher/qtwebengine_resources_100p.pak
Some features may not be available.
[0525/153313:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(691)] Failed to load /home/${USER}/z/evelauncher/qtwebengine_resources_200p.pak
Some features may not be available.
[0525/153313:WARNING:resource_bundle.cc(304)] locale_file_path.empty()
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.so.



PS. If anyone needs an overview with the new settings requirement, feel free to use mine: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=6070894
CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#7 - 2016-05-25 21:08:13 UTC
Kismeteer wrote:
This worked a lot smoother than previous versions! Launcher seemed to work fine for me, even got the second client working well. Wine 1.9.10, very nice! Seems to perform quite well with normal flying around on multiple accounts, good windowing, etc.

Please note that this installs the following stuff:

  • ~/evelauncher or wherever you untarred this to has the intial wine and qt install.
  • ~/EVE has EVE SharedCache
  • ~/.eve has the updater updates
  • ~/.cache/CCP/EVE has the QtWebEngine
  • ~/.config/CCP has the eve launcher configuration to set DX9 etc
  • ~/EVE/SharedCache/wineenv/drive_c has your wine environment
  • ~/EVE/SharedCache/wineenv/drive_c/users/${USER}/Local\ Settings/Application\ Data/CCP/EVE/c_tq_tranquility/ has your eve configurations like overviews etc (used to live in ~/.wine/drive_c/users/${USER}/Local Settings/Application Data/CCP/EVE)
  • ~/Documents/EVE gets captures and logs
  • ~/.QtWebEngineProcess is created and empty
  • ~/.EVE is empty


It would be convenient if some of these were relocated a little better, like collapsing evelauncher into subdirectories, with some of these things layered under there. Or standardize on ~/EVE with subdirectories, or .eve or .EVE or .config etc. Maybe change the evelauncher to untar to EVE/evelauncher with the evelauncher.sh in the EVE directory?

Really appreciate your support for the community, Snorlax.Lol It means a lot to those of us who use Linux.

Summary of errors:

[0525/153313:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(691)] Failed to load /home/${USER}/z/evelauncher/qtwebengine_resources.pak
Some features may not be available.
[0525/153313:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(691)] Failed to load /home/${USER}/z/evelauncher/qtwebengine_resources_100p.pak
Some features may not be available.
[0525/153313:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(691)] Failed to load /home/${USER}/z/evelauncher/qtwebengine_resources_200p.pak
Some features may not be available.
[0525/153313:WARNING:resource_bundle.cc(304)] locale_file_path.empty()
Installed Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /home/${USER}/z/evelauncher/translations/qtwebengine_locales. Trying application directory...
Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /home/${USER}/z/evelauncher/qtwebengine_locales. Trying fallback directory... Translations MAY NOT not be correct.
[0525/153313:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(691)] Failed to load /home/${USER}/z/evelauncher/qtwebengine_resources.pak
Some features may not be available.
[0525/153313:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(691)] Failed to load /home/${USER}/z/evelauncher/qtwebengine_resources_100p.pak
Some features may not be available.
[0525/153313:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(691)] Failed to load /home/${USER}/z/evelauncher/qtwebengine_resources_200p.pak
Some features may not be available.
[0525/153313:WARNING:resource_bundle.cc(304)] locale_file_path.empty()
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.so.



PS. If anyone needs an overview with the new settings requirement, feel free to use mine: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=6070894

I moved the shared cache under the ~/.eve folder, the ~/EVE folder is probably from testing that prerelease version from last week.

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#8 - 2016-05-25 21:09:57 UTC
Drilla wrote:
Is 64bit required to run the evelauncher or EVE itself on Linux?

The launcher is built as a 64bit app, but EVE is a 32bit app so Wine is built as 32bit as well.

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

Kismeteer
Bat Country
Pandemic Legion
#9 - 2016-05-25 21:19:17 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
I moved the shared cache under the ~/.eve folder, the ~/EVE folder is probably from testing that prerelease version from last week.


Nope, was created and populated by your launcher. I confirmed all these file and directory creations by a date search.

Oh, I missed one, ~/.nv/GLCache for your glcache.
Cap'n Schmitty
#10 - 2016-05-25 21:30:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Cap'n Schmitty
Gentoo here. Worked beautifully right out of the box. As stated above, the wineprefix is created at ~/EVE/SharedCache/wineenv, so move your settings over there and you're golden.

Full output from running the launcher:
captaincrutches@X-Infinity-B-Funtoo ~/EVE/evelauncher $ ./evelauncher.sh 
static QPlatformTheme* QKdeTheme::createKdeTheme(): Unable to determine KDE dirs
[0525/172211:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(691)] Failed to load /home/captaincrutches/EVE/evelauncher/qtwebengine_resources.pak
Some features may not be available.
[0525/172211:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(691)] Failed to load /home/captaincrutches/EVE/evelauncher/qtwebengine_resources_100p.pak
Some features may not be available.
[0525/172211:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(691)] Failed to load /home/captaincrutches/EVE/evelauncher/qtwebengine_resources_200p.pak
Some features may not be available.
[0525/172211:WARNING:resource_bundle.cc(304)] locale_file_path.empty()
Installed Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /home/captaincrutches/EVE/evelauncher/translations/qtwebengine_locales. Trying application directory...
Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /home/captaincrutches/EVE/evelauncher/qtwebengine_locales. Trying fallback directory... Translations MAY NOT not be correct.
[0525/172211:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(691)] Failed to load /home/captaincrutches/EVE/evelauncher/qtwebengine_resources.pak
Some features may not be available.
[0525/172211:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(691)] Failed to load /home/captaincrutches/EVE/evelauncher/qtwebengine_resources_100p.pak
Some features may not be available.
[0525/172211:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(691)] Failed to load /home/captaincrutches/EVE/evelauncher/qtwebengine_resources_200p.pak
Some features may not be available.
[0525/172211:WARNING:resource_bundle.cc(304)] locale_file_path.empty()
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; no appID found.
Either launch the game from Steam, or put the file steam_appid.txt containing the correct appID in your game folder.


My emerge --info, if you're interested, is here as it's too long for a forum post: http://pastebin.com/2gbTmSAJ

Also of note is I'm currently running wine 1.9.9:
Installed versions:  1.9.9^t(09:44:41 AM 05/18/2016)(X alsa cups fontconfig gecko gstreamer jpeg lcms mono mp3 ncurses nls openal opencl opengl osmesa perl png pulseaudio realtime run-exes scanner ssl staging threads truetype udisks v4l xcomposite xinerama xml -capi -custom-cflags -d3d9 -dos -gphoto2 -gsm -ldap -netapi -odbc -oss -pcap -pipelight -prelink -s3tc -samba -selinux -test -vaapi ABI_MIPS="-n32 -n64 -o32" ABI_PPC="-32 -64" ABI_S390="-32 -64" ABI_X86="32 64 -x32" ELIBC="glibc" LINGUAS="-ar -bg -ca -cs -da -de -el -en -en_US -eo -es -fa -fi -fr -he -hi -hr -hu -it -ja -ko -lt -ml -nb_NO -nl -or -pa -pl -pt_BR -pt_PT -rm -ro -ru -sk -sl -sr_RS@cyrillic -sr_RS@latin -sv -te -th -tr -uk -wa -zh_CN -zh_TW")


This also means I can stop worrying about losing my Eve settings every time I have to nuke my ~/.wine!

You're the man, Snorlax. <3
Drilla
Lockstock.
Dead Terrorists
#11 - 2016-05-25 21:41:53 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Drilla wrote:
Is 64bit required to run the evelauncher or EVE itself on Linux?

The launcher is built as a 64bit app, but EVE is a 32bit app so Wine is built as 32bit as well.


Could you make a 32bit launcher version? I'd like to try it out on FreeBSD which can run 32bit Linux apps natively.
Rhyme Bittern
Signal Cartel
EvE-Scout Enclave
#12 - 2016-05-25 22:10:30 UTC
Interestingly, with the linux launcher my in-game browser does not work with eve websites (nor, presumably, with other https websites).
CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#13 - 2016-05-25 22:30:16 UTC
Kismeteer wrote:
CCP Snorlax wrote:
I moved the shared cache under the ~/.eve folder, the ~/EVE folder is probably from testing that prerelease version from last week.


Nope, was created and populated by your launcher. I confirmed all these file and directory creations by a date search.

Oh, I missed one, ~/.nv/GLCache for your glcache.

Doh, I forgot to update the version file - the launcher in the download link will downgrade to the previous version. This explains the folder locations not being what they're supposed to. I've updated the file now

This will mean that the shared cache will have to be downloaded again, and the wineenv folder will be reconstructed. My apologies for this oversight.

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#14 - 2016-05-25 22:30:57 UTC
Rhyme Bittern wrote:
Interestingly, with the linux launcher my in-game browser does not work with eve websites (nor, presumably, with other https websites).

I have a theory on what might be going on, I'll see if I can fix that tomorrow.

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#15 - 2016-05-25 22:31:37 UTC
Drilla wrote:
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Drilla wrote:
Is 64bit required to run the evelauncher or EVE itself on Linux?

The launcher is built as a 64bit app, but EVE is a 32bit app so Wine is built as 32bit as well.


Could you make a 32bit launcher version? I'd like to try it out on FreeBSD which can run 32bit Linux apps natively.

I'll look into it, can't promise anything.

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

Katrina Bekers
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#16 - 2016-05-25 23:43:27 UTC
Thank you Snorlax, for keeping the linux (small) population happy. You've been invaluable in all these years, and this is just icing on the cake.

<< THE RABBLE BRIGADE >>

Ransu Asanari
V0LTA
WE FORM V0LTA
#17 - 2016-05-26 01:21:39 UTC
Thanks for this. I've been looking to switch back to Linux as my main desktop for a while, rather than upgrading to Windows 10.

I think this is the perfect push.
PinkKnife
Nobody in Local
Of Sound Mind
#18 - 2016-05-26 01:54:31 UTC  |  Edited by: PinkKnife
Ubuntu 16.04, fresh install (no playonlinux installed). Had to drop into the terminal to do the ol "sh evelauncher.sh", but once that got going it ran the launcher and started downloading. No issues so far, will update as it goes.

Edit 1: Install and update went fine. Login as well, but can't seem to get anything running when I hit play.

Yeah tried a few things now. Launcher works great but it's like there's no program installed at all. Do I need to download the actual client somewhere else as well?
Terrifiedkiller
mindstar technology
Goonswarm Federation
#19 - 2016-05-26 02:49:34 UTC
Now if you guys would switch from DX 9 and DX 11 to Vulcon you could develop a Linux and Mac client with minimal changes perhaps windows too keeping everyone happy (and with a more optimized client to boot perhaps)

CCP Snorlax wrote:
The EVE Launcher is now available for Linux. Note that this does in no way suggest that CCP is officially supporting Linux - this is just something I've been working on as a side project, and basically comes out of the work I've done for adding Wine support to the launcher for Mac.

This launcher is a native Linux application that downloads a version of Wine built by me, from the same source as the Wine version running on the Mac.

As we don't officially support Linux the test coverage is rather poor. I have an Ubuntu machine on my desk, and CCP Maxwell one on his. We've had some brave volunteers try this out and the results have been promising - we've had positive reports from players on Arch and Debian as well as Ubuntu.

If this doesn't work on your setup, please tell us here on the forums, I'll see what I can do but don't expect support from Customer Service - we don't have the bandwidth to add another supported platform.

If I haven't scared you off and you want to give this a try, get the launcher binaries from here:
https://binaries.eveonline.com/evelauncher-1043593.tar.gz

Unpack this to your home directory (or wherever you prefer).

Run the evelauncher.sh shell script – this sets the LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that the evelauncher executable finds Qt in the installation folder. I’d recommend running it from a terminal to begin with so you get the error output in case there are missing dependencies.

Please let us know how this goes, and if you install any packages to get it to run, please keep track of them and let us know.

Jessie Wallace
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#20 - 2016-05-26 03:15:50 UTC
Terrifiedkiller wrote:
Now if you guys would switch from DX 9 and DX 11 to Vulcon you could develop a Linux and Mac client with minimal changes perhaps windows too keeping everyone happy (and with a more optimized client to boot perhaps)

CCP Snorlax wrote:
The EVE Launcher is now available for Linux. Note that this does in no way suggest that CCP is officially supporting Linux - this is just something I've been working on as a side project, and basically comes out of the work I've done for adding Wine support to the launcher for Mac.

This launcher is a native Linux application that downloads a version of Wine built by me, from the same source as the Wine version running on the Mac.

As we don't officially support Linux the test coverage is rather poor. I have an Ubuntu machine on my desk, and CCP Maxwell one on his. We've had some brave volunteers try this out and the results have been promising - we've had positive reports from players on Arch and Debian as well as Ubuntu.

If this doesn't work on your setup, please tell us here on the forums, I'll see what I can do but don't expect support from Customer Service - we don't have the bandwidth to add another supported platform.

If I haven't scared you off and you want to give this a try, get the launcher binaries from here:
https://binaries.eveonline.com/evelauncher-1043593.tar.gz

Unpack this to your home directory (or wherever you prefer).

Run the evelauncher.sh shell script – this sets the LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that the evelauncher executable finds Qt in the installation folder. I’d recommend running it from a terminal to begin with so you get the error output in case there are missing dependencies.

Please let us know how this goes, and if you install any packages to get it to run, please keep track of them and let us know.



Congraluations you know nothing about anything. Vulkan is new, you will not get vulkan support on video cards on anything more than 2-3 years old at best. Also you make some hilarious assumption that it would be 1.) minimal changes, 2.) more optimized without even understanding what vulkan is.

If they wanted portability, they would just do opengl which works just fine. But they don't.
123Next pageLast page