These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP Has turned to Americanism

First post
Author
Onictus
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2012-03-25 23:55:32 UTC
adopt wrote:
Onictus wrote:
adopt wrote:
Onictus wrote:
adopt wrote:
I'm not mad per se, so i'm in before some idiot decides to spray his internet e-peen all over the place, I find it quite upsetting that people who use alternate methods of spelling are forced to spell like Americans. I have no quarrel with Americans, I find it unfair and quite frankly biased that i'm not given a choice to whether or not I can spell English the way I was taught in England

I can use both interchangeably, why can't you?

I can, but its the simple fact of why I was not given a choice on which dictionary I wish to use.

Neither was I, the game uses both as I pointed out earlier.

Give evidence of this. So far, CCP has renamed everything that would be considered the correct spelling, i.e in my OP. "Defence" was renamed to "Defense" and "Armour" renamed to "Armour".

Oh well, they did change it.

Oh well, time to bust out a Webster's for you than.
Audinst Calderro
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#42 - 2012-03-25 23:55:46 UTC
Henry Haphorn
Killer Yankee
#43 - 2012-03-25 23:57:23 UTC
*Meanwhile, as a plane flies over Europe*

[Lufthansa] - Tower, ist dieser Flug 42, eine Erlaubnis zu landen.

[Tower] - Flight 42, please speak English.

[American Airlines] - Yeah, speak English.

[Lufthansa] - I'm an German. I am flying a German plane over Germany. Why the ficken do I have to speak English?

[British Airways] - Because you lost the bloody war!

Adapt or Die

Aiden Andraste
State War Academy
Caldari State
#44 - 2012-03-26 00:03:07 UTC
Henry Haphorn wrote:
*Meanwhile, as a plane flies over Europe*

[Lufthansa] - Tower, ist dieser Flug 42, eine Erlaubnis zu landen.

[Tower] - Flight 42, please speak English.

[American Airlines] - Yeah, speak English.

[Lufthansa] - I'm an German. I am flying a German plane over Germany. Why the ****** do I have to speak English?

[British Airways] - Because you lost the bloody war!

tl;dr - if you want Bloody English to be spoken by the rest of the world, come to America and do something about it. Otherwise, HTFU. Cool
Terminal Insanity
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#45 - 2012-03-26 00:05:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Terminal Insanity
Onictus wrote:
If the quality was that good, we wouldn't outnumber you 3 to 1.

Rats and Ants far outnumber people. Would you consider them to be of higher quality then humans?

diamonds are also rare compared to gravel.

Just because you can breed like rabbits doesn't make you of higher quality, just makes you senseless ****'ers

"War declarations are never officially considered griefing and are not a bannable offense, and it has been repeatedly stated by the developers that the possibility for non-consensual PvP is an intended feature." - CCP

Terminal Insanity
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#46 - 2012-03-26 00:10:44 UTC
CCP Veritas wrote:
I'ma just leave this here.

Irrelevant.

"Armor" is how the majority of people spell it and is how everyone is used to spelling it in this game.

Changing it to "Armour" now would be a pain to the majority of your subscribers and would be forcing them all to un-learn their local spelling styles

"War declarations are never officially considered griefing and are not a bannable offense, and it has been repeatedly stated by the developers that the possibility for non-consensual PvP is an intended feature." - CCP

Serge Bastana
GWA Corp
#47 - 2012-03-26 00:11:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Serge Bastana
Onictus wrote:
Serge Bastana wrote:
Onictus wrote:
Terminal Insanity wrote:
I'm canadian and we spell it Armor.... except for our americanized military anyway.

The USA should have its own localization for these things. The majority of the world doesn't spell it this way.

Too bad American's outnumber the rest of the native English speaking word. Sorry and all.

It's about quality, not quantity.

If the quality was that good, we wouldn't outnumber you 3 to 1.

And I'll leave this here

WoW holds your hand until end game, and gives you a cookie whether you win or lose. EVE not only takes your cookie, but laughs at you for bringing one in the first place...

Aggressive Nutmeg
#48 - 2012-03-26 00:12:43 UTC
adopt wrote:
I'm not mad per se, so i'm in before some idiot decides to spray his internet e-peen all over the place, I find it quite upsetting that people who use alternate methods of spelling are forced to spell like Americans. I have no quarrel with Americans, I find it unfair and quite frankly biased that i'm not given a choice to whether or not I can spell English the way I was taught in England

Another one of my pet hates. The word you're looking for is 'alternative'. The word 'alternate' is a verb.

Anyway, back on topic.

I speak English, not American. I don't drop key words from a sentence in order to 'dumb down' and simplify my speech. And I spell words correctly, rather than phonetically.

We can understand what they're trying to say, but I don't know too many people here in the civilised world who consider Americans to be speakers of English. P

This shouldn't really be a surprise considering America is rapidly being overrun by illiterate ex-slaves and Spanish-speaking illegal immigrants. Shocked

Never make eye contact with someone while eating a banana.

Terminal Insanity
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#49 - 2012-03-26 00:14:46 UTC
Serge Bastana wrote:
And I'll leave this here

I cant help but think of Joe Bauers whenever i see Ron Paul speaking

Vladimir Norkoff
Income Redistribution Service
#50 - 2012-03-26 00:44:36 UTC
Why is this even an issue? America invented the English language. That's why you have to spell it like we do. Blink
Ghoest
#51 - 2012-03-26 00:56:30 UTC
"armor" is the normal spelling in America - except for the canned lunch meat.

Wherever You Went - Here You Are

Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#52 - 2012-03-26 01:03:43 UTC
adopt wrote:
Miranda Bowie wrote:
I love the colour gratuitous U's add to British spelling. I proumise froum nouw oun, I will honour your request four moure. ;)

You're adding "U" in completely pointless places, it doesn't make you look intelligible, it makes you seem parallel to the stereotypes we have of Americans; uneducated, incompetent morons.

Right. and only fuckwits care about sterotypes. Carry on.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Li Ter
Immortalis Inc.
Shadow Cartel
#53 - 2012-03-26 01:11:03 UTC
things that get me is a lot of americans use double negatives all the time , things like "i didnt say nothing" " i aint done nothing" ect ect *sigh*

also stfu americans

that is all
Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#54 - 2012-03-26 01:32:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Nova Fox
By all techncalities the largest english speaking nation in the world is china. But thats according to them.

Also doenst the britanica orginally spelled it as Armor, divered from the french word?

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Ann Can
Doomheim
#55 - 2012-03-26 01:37:49 UTC
adopt wrote:

Discuss.

Proper grammar adds to the legitimacy of such diatribes.
Ammzi
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#56 - 2012-03-26 01:38:05 UTC
It's because you stole and robbed incursion runners of their reimbursement.
That's why OP.
Sri Nova
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#57 - 2012-03-26 01:38:27 UTC
Sounds like those of you who have issues with English, and how it used through out the world need to give up the language .

You may be upset at this reasoning, but if you are going to have a problem with a living language that is in a constant state of change you may need to learn a dead language.

That way the words will not change ,the spellings will remain the same, pronunciation and usage stays static, and you can converse properly and concisely with your elitist linguistic pals .

That way your ideas will remain in its closed lil circle and your archaic ideology will die with your intolerant selves.

Endeavour Starfleet
#58 - 2012-03-26 01:38:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Endeavour Starfleet
<---------------

Yep I hate them spelling it as "Endeavor" even the Space Shuttle was called Endeavour.
Im Super Gay
Investtan Inc.
The Republic.
#59 - 2012-03-26 01:40:41 UTC
CCP is catering to its English majority subscriber base, which is America. Deal with it.
IsTheOpOver
#60 - 2012-03-26 01:42:14 UTC
What was the last client advertisement I saw from CCP?

"Do Want?"

You're complaining about "Armor" or "Defense"?