These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP Has turned to Americanism

First post
Author
Kehro Urgus
Dark Nebula Academy
O X I D E
#81 - 2012-03-26 05:47:13 UTC
Scerwup wrote:
Vyktor Abyss wrote:

America is a poor facsimile of Britain. Britain gifted America our place names, our language and our traditions yet most Americans can't even find Britain on a map. Now the troglodites have the audacity to tell us we're doing our own language wrong.

I just can't let this slide. Britain didn't "gift" us with anything. The only thing you attempted to gift us with was an oppressive monarchy, which we stood and fought to get away from. We also have no need to find Britain on a map, because, to be quite honest, we could care less about you. Go drink your tea, and continue thinking that English belongs to you.

Good Day

Actually it was a tax on tea, but carry on.Roll

Yeeee! 

Johnson Johnson
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#82 - 2012-03-26 05:48:18 UTC
Aiden Andraste wrote:
Mauybe iuf crumupet munchuing engluish mattuered anywheure iun theu woruld, CuCP wouuld suppuort uit.

The fingers you have used to type are too fat. to obtain a special dialing wand please mash the keypad with your palm now
Tarsus Zateki
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#83 - 2012-03-26 06:21:00 UTC
adopt wrote:
Quote:
File not valid

Medium Core Defence Field Extender I

Armour Kinetic Hardner II

Might I ask why you subjugate the people who can spell and pronounce the language correctly to such fallacy? Why am I forced to spell like an American when I am English? I cannot comprehend why, I, as an Englishman, am forced to improperly spell my native language.

Discuss.

Are you really so dumb that you can't handle learning an alternate and valid spelling of a word?

You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world.

Kehro Urgus
Dark Nebula Academy
O X I D E
#84 - 2012-03-26 06:25:56 UTC
Tarsus Zateki wrote:
adopt wrote:
Quote:
File not valid

Medium Core Defence Field Extender I

Armour Kinetic Hardner II

Might I ask why you subjugate the people who can spell and pronounce the language correctly to such fallacy? Why am I forced to spell like an American when I am English? I cannot comprehend why, I, as an Englishman, am forced to improperly spell my native language.

Discuss.

Are you really so dumb that you can't handle learning an alternate and valid spelling of a word?

Canadians use either form because we're bilingual.Blink

Yeeee! 

Romar Agent
Doomheim
#85 - 2012-03-26 06:31:23 UTC
Henry Haphorn wrote:
*Meanwhile, as a plane flies over Europe*

[Lufthansa] - Tower, ist dieser Flug 42, eine Erlaubnis zu landen.

[Tower] - Flight 42, please speak English.

[American Airlines] - Yeah, speak English.

[Lufthansa] - I'm an German. I am flying a German plane over Germany. Why the ****** do I have to speak English?

[British Airways] - Because you lost the bloody war!

They didn't speak proper german to begin with P

Most germans learn british english btw., as that's the way our schoolbooks are written...
Tech3ZH
Doomheim
#86 - 2012-03-26 06:38:06 UTC
adopt wrote:
Miranda Bowie wrote:
I love the colour gratuitous U's add to British spelling. I proumise froum nouw oun, I will honour your request four moure. ;)

You're adding "U" in completely pointless places, it doesn't make you look intelligible, it makes you seem parallel to the stereotypes we have of Americans; uneducated, incompetent morons.

Somebody is suffering from humor deficiency. Lighten up M8. If the many non-English-speaking people who play EVE can manage just fine...what reason do you have to complain?
Vila eNorvic
#87 - 2012-03-26 06:39:38 UTC
Terminal Insanity wrote:
I'm canadian and we spell it Armor.... except for our americanized military anyway.

Given that 'armor' is the American version, I'm a bit confused about what spelling your "americanized" military might use.

Onictus wrote:
Too bad American's outnumber the rest of the native English speaking word. Sorry and all.

You sure about that? Evidence, please.

In any case, the plural of American is Americans, no matter which version you use.

Onictus wrote:
We have double the population of the UK, Australia and New Zealand combined. Canada uses American spelling and eveyone else isn't a NATIVE speaking country.

You think those are the only countries with native English speakers? Ye gods, I've heard stories about the inadequacies of the American education system, but I didn't think it was that bad.

Besides, on that basis only Americans who are descended from native English speakers are relevant, which will have a drastic effect on your figures.

Herping yourDerp wrote:
yep when you pronounce option 1 you sound like a moron, when you pronounce option 2 it's a real word. oh look thats how it is spelled as well

Er . . . 'spelt'.

Onictus wrote:
More like kicked you the **** out and came back 180 years later to save you.

LolWho Kicked the British out? American revolutionaries? I think not. They'd all but lost until the French army did the job for them.
Acac Sunflyier
The Dysfunctionals
Goonswarm Federation
#88 - 2012-03-26 06:40:30 UTC
Terminal Insanity wrote:
CCP Veritas wrote:
I'ma just leave this here.

Irrelevant.

"Armor" is how the majority of people spell it and is how everyone is used to spelling it in this game.

Changing it to "Armour" now would be a pain to the majority of your subscribers and would be forcing them all to un-learn their local spelling styles

Americans do make up the largest chunk of the population!
Revman Zim
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#89 - 2012-03-26 06:41:28 UTC
I will add to the trollfest...

You should be thankful to the Americans for saving your butt TWICE last century. You could have easily been speaking German.

And that little "War" in the Falkland Islands back in 82'... yeah, you might want to thank America for that one too. You Brits took the credit for the win, however, you also took America's Fuel, Food, Ammo, replacement parts, replacement Harriers, Intelligence and Spy Satellite photos to support that war.

So to change a few words is minor in comparison to the 300,000 Americans that have died for your country.

Pip Pip... Cherrio!
Kehro Urgus
Dark Nebula Academy
O X I D E
#90 - 2012-03-26 06:51:35 UTC
Revman Zim wrote:

You should be thankful to the Americans for saving your butt TWICE last century. You could have easily been speaking German.

And that little "War" in the Falkland Islands back in 82'... yeah, you might want to thank America for that one too. You Brits took the credit for the win, however, you also took America's Fuel, Food, Ammo, replacement parts, replacement Harriers, Intelligence and Spy Satellite photos to support that war.

So to change a few words is minor in comparison to the 300,000 Americans that have died for your country.

Pip Pip... Cherrio!

The English are not without achievements of their own. For example, it's obvious they invented the toothbrush because had it been invented anywhere else it would be called the 'teethbrush'. Smile

Yeeee! 

Sin Pew
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#91 - 2012-03-26 06:57:19 UTC
Revman Zim wrote:

Maybe you should check English language history a little bit, just saying.

[i]"haiku are easy, But sometimes they don't make sense, Refrigerator."[/i]

Amsterdam Conversations
Doomheim
#92 - 2012-03-26 06:58:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Amsterdam Conversations
adopt wrote:
Onictus wrote:
Ai Shun wrote:
Onictus wrote:
Too bad American's outnumber the rest of the native English speaking word. Sorry and all.

Go and add up the numbers across the rest of the world and compare it to the USA. Sorry, but you guys are tiny compared to the rest of the world - most of which use English; not United States English.

LOL Like whom?

We have double the population of the UK, Australia and New Zealand combined. Canada uses American spelling and eveyone else isn't a NATIVE speaking country. It just depends on who you learn your English from.

When I work in Norway I joke that they have British accents.....Japanese and Koreans often use the American dialect in my experience.

Why don't you count the entirety of Europe, Africa, most of Asia, Australia, New Zealand. That equates to 600-700 million people to your paltry 400 or so. Its not a question of whether they are native speaking or not, most countries teach English from Oxford English dictionary, in lieu of this, they speak proper English.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but 1) at least in germany you learn american english and british mixed, it's up to you what you prefer (should be the same about anywhere in europe, it's a matter of preference) and 2) american english is considered the standard language today.

I love how you're standing up as tall as americans when it comes to thinking you're the most relevant people on the world.
Vila eNorvic
#93 - 2012-03-26 06:59:36 UTC
Amsterdam Conversations wrote:
american english is considered the standard language today.

By whom?
Danfen Fenix
#94 - 2012-03-26 07:25:46 UTC
Revman Zim wrote:

Thankful? What for, you getting involved because you finally felt threatened/was attacked in both ? P

Lets not forget about all your antics with the IRA...

*Strolls back out of the thread*
Tekota
The Freighter Factory
#95 - 2012-03-26 07:27:18 UTC
Oh please.

The "Team America! F*** Yeah!" attitude is equally annoying as the "But we're the rightful masters of language you rebel colonial dogs" attitude.

In 50 years time you can have the same argument when both countries have finally realised that they're not the centre of the universe (or center of the universe if you so desire) and you can moan about south east asian "Panglish" spellings.

I expect the spelling to be used exactly as English is spelt in Iceland. And given that English is just one of many *secondary* languages spoken in Iceland, and given that CCP is made up of an international development team I fully expect some variation in how English is spelt in Iceland, and more so within CCP. I fully expect CCP teams in the UK, USA, and Iceland to all be using differing English spellings (hell, they have an office in Newcastle, whose official dialect stipulates "wot youse lookkin at?" to be uttered before glassing someone).

If something is created in the USA, be it art, film, novel, games, I would expect US spellings. If something is created in the UK, I expect UK spellings. If something is created by an international development team, in a country where English is a secondary language, across the span of multiple years, I expect a whole gamut of spellings to be used, all of which are perfectly understandable by anyone who has a decent command of any variation of English.
Dutarro
Ghezer Aramih
#96 - 2012-03-26 07:28:59 UTC
Terminal Insanity wrote:
I'm canadian and we spell it Armor.... except for our americanized military anyway.

The USA should have its own localization for these things. The majority of the world doesn't spell it this way.

Quite right, they spell it 盔甲
Aargolos
Estrale Frontiers
#97 - 2012-03-26 07:32:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Aargolos
It's center, not centre for crying out loud.

You don't pronounce it that way, why the hell do you spell it that way? P
Kehro Urgus
Dark Nebula Academy
O X I D E
#98 - 2012-03-26 07:33:31 UTC
Aargolos wrote:
It's center, not centre for crying out loud.

You don't pronounce it that way, why the hell do you spell it that way? P

Potatoe.

Yeeee! 

Tekota
The Freighter Factory
#99 - 2012-03-26 07:46:50 UTC
Oh, and Chaucer called - he says you're both spelling it wrong.
Dutarro
Ghezer Aramih
#100 - 2012-03-26 07:55:06 UTC
Tekota wrote:
Oh, and Chaucer called - he says you're both spelling it wrong.

Did Chaucer use an iPhone or Android? Want to be sure we're historically authentic when texting each other.