These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Events and Gatherings Archive

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Fanfest 2012 Breaking News: Dust 514 Keynote

First post
Author
Alx Warlord
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2012-03-22 20:54:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Alx Warlord
As you guys could see, the eve pilots need someone in the ground to "paint the target" for the orbital atack, this ballances some issues... and nulifies some possible abuses.

Also there is the possibility to send a bigger or smaller strike... some dust marines can expect an abbadon volley, but what shot is a revelation.... so... it is the future vision becoming true...

Also, probably dust will have things rellated to SOV...
Ms Twitch
Brittas Empire
Pandemic Horde
#22 - 2012-03-22 21:43:54 UTC
This is possibly the only reason I need to go buy a console Big smileBig smile
Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#23 - 2012-03-22 21:52:45 UTC
You missed out the part where one of the EVE players shot the other to get the full bounty for the orbital strike.

Best bit of fanfest so far Cool
Matiel Shrike
Pipebomb Pinata
#24 - 2012-03-22 21:53:27 UTC
To all those people who are speculating about Orbital Bombardment, you have forgotten two essential things.

One: ECM will be in dust, and so it's likely that you can get orbital targeting disruptors or something to put on the mobile command centers to stop orby bombing.

Two: The installations can fight back. Remember the E3 dust trailer? With the so dubbed 'skyfire battery'? I think there's gonna be an implementation of that which will basically concord any ships that orby bomb or something. And to those who have read EVE: Templar One, I think that CCP will implement anti-ship missiles and stuff like that, or even anti-munition munitions to neutralize orbital strikes?

right now it's mostly theories, but the point i'm trying to make here is that for the time being, a lot of things could happen, and a lot of things could be used to balance the game in terms of orby bombing.

I for one am looking forward to killing mercs with the oldest trick in the book: WARP THROUGH THE PLANET! well, that, or just flying inside the planet in a cap stable MWD executioner...
LtCol Laurentius
The Imperial Sardaukar
#25 - 2012-03-22 21:59:28 UTC
Matiel Shrike wrote:

right now it's mostly theories, but the point i'm trying to make here is that for the time being, a lot of things could happen, and a lot of things could be used to balance the game in terms of orby bombing.

The point I'm trying to make however, is that we are now at fanfest 2012, with Dust514 scheduled to launch later this year (early summer?), and the information given by CCP regarding these questions are STILL mainly pretty pictures and sales pitches.
Jenna Sol
hanging by a threat
The Syndicate of Silence
#26 - 2012-03-22 22:02:20 UTC
I'm more concerned of the two following situations:

-What if Dust doesn't pick off and turns out to be abandoned after a few months of play?

-What happens once Dust has been done with its lifetime? Console games don't really last as long.

Are they just going to strip the Dust features from Eve?
Katarina Reid
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#27 - 2012-03-22 22:41:27 UTC
Can u fund ur dust account from ur eve account. Something like contract urself to do something easy but pay loads of isk/Aurum. Then you can just buy all the expensive stuff at launch. Also if dust is irrelevant to eve then dust players wont get payed but if it matters to pi its just going to put up prices of eve items. i can see dust player destroys ur plant u just move or rebuild. there loads of plants so u just got to be unluck to get hit to many times.
Gilbaron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#28 - 2012-03-22 22:43:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Gilbaron
Jenna Sol wrote:
I'm more concerned of the two following situations:

-What if Dust doesn't pick off and turns out to be abandoned after a few months of play?

-What happens once Dust has been done with its lifetime? Console games don't really last as long.

Are they just going to strip the Dust features from Eve?

I'm pretty sure that at first there won't be a big interaction between eve and dust (on the important for the game scale)

dust is crossing so many borders and opens so many possibilities in eve, while also being the first of its kind for (mmo)-games that ccp and their partner Sony will be extremely careful at the beginning.

I would not be to surprised if the only interaction at the beginning will be orbital bombardments and maybe transporting stuff around.

Making the 400.000 player sandbox-economy of eve depend on the the possible millions of dust players who also live in a sandbox could be devastating as long as the scale of dust is not clear yet.

In the long run something like breaking into the enemies starbase to steal his weekly technetium production and disabling his production lines for some time with the help of ships buildt in eve with materials farmed in in dust and dust players transported in landing crafts piloted by eve players is technically possible but a stupid idea to start with (and a great thing to aim for in the medium/long run)

and also: since ccp will continue to develop dust and have mechanics like skills just like in eve its very unlikely that the game will fail unless it's a really terrible one
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#29 - 2012-03-22 23:26:38 UTC
LtCol Laurentius wrote:
The point I'm trying to make however, is that we are now at fanfest 2012, with Dust514 scheduled to launch later this year (early summer?), and the information given by CCP regarding these questions are STILL mainly pretty pictures and sales pitches.

CCP's point, which is going to be expressed through a number of sessions, is that EVE/DUST link is still in progress. They have basic bits in place such as orbital bombardment, sky fire cannon, shield generators, orbital infrastructure, etc. 300 Abaddons are going to have a hard time bombarding the surface if they are being shot up by orbital defenses, and if you can get 300 battleships to the fight there is every reason to expect PL to arrive shortly with a hundred titans and supercarriers to sweep your rabble put of the sky.

As a downloadable game, there is no need to lock DUST 514's game design down from the first day of release.
LtCol Laurentius
The Imperial Sardaukar
#30 - 2012-03-23 00:03:28 UTC  |  Edited by: LtCol Laurentius
Mara Rinn wrote:

CCP's point, which is going to be expressed through a number of sessions, is that EVE/DUST link is still in progress.

This seems to be very evident indeed. I guess I will disagree loudly with you that this isnt a problem though. Not talking about even core game mechanics at this point in time doesnt bode well. Basically, they:

- Dont adress the apparent disconnect between the goal of high player retention and the chosen business model, despite the issue beeing raised by players repeatedly on forums and social media.
- Dont adress how to handle endless possibilities of griefplay
- Dont adress how DUST will affect EVE in any detail not previosly known
- Dont adress how EVE will affect DUST in any detail not previosly known
- Dont adress how they intend to balance the incredibly tight relationship between EVE and DUST to ensure that the two games affect eachother meaningfully while at the same time not destroying the gameplay of either game

But most importantly, uses THE MOST IMPORTANT opportunity to talk about these things to show pretty pictures and provide marketingspeach instead. With probably 2-3 months until launch.

Call me unimpressed.
Xantor Bludberry
#31 - 2012-03-23 00:57:04 UTC
DUST is ugly. Sorry, but it is so. :( Not impressed at all. What?
VanderMarq
Black Ice Tactical Echelon
#32 - 2012-03-23 00:57:20 UTC
If anyone doesn't want there DUST 514 beta key PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE contact me! I would be very interested in a trade!
GeeShizzle MacCloud
#33 - 2012-03-23 00:57:26 UTC  |  Edited by: GeeShizzle MacCloud
fyi im uploading a 720p version of the dust514 keynote to youtube now... barring CCP telling me to not of course. ive looked and looked for anything telling me i cant, and ive asked here and there and not received anything saying i cant so expect it on youtube in approx 57mins.
Herping yourDerp
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#34 - 2012-03-23 02:15:17 UTC
wish i would have been in beta.
Ronen Osden
Ronen's NEW And Improved Mining Services
#35 - 2012-03-23 02:17:55 UTC
Really wish DUST 514 was coming on Xbox 360 not PS3 ... Ive never liked Sony :(

Non Est Mortale Quad Opto - What I Desire Is Not Mortal

Siegfried VonTeufel
E.X.O.
#36 - 2012-03-23 03:22:26 UTC
CCP Navigator wrote:
... the yet unreleased free-to-download-and-play PlayStation 3 exclusive DUST 514 showed that....

Free to play, DUST514?! Am I reading this right??
Dalton Vanadis
Imperium Technologies
Sigma Grindset
#37 - 2012-03-23 04:19:58 UTC
Yes, DUST is F2P, but not P2W according to them.

From what they said, you can't just willy nilly orby bomb dusties. You 1. need a specific launch code to lock onto the target (presumably only usable by one ship at a time). 2. There are cool down and spool up timers (probably significant), they said they were using dev hacks for illustrative purposes. 3. They have an entire session devoted to orbital warfare later.

Additionally, the whole point of this keynote was to show a working prototype of their product to show where it's at. And from that point, explain the reasoning behind the rest of their DUST related panels.

These include: Orbital warfare, DUST/EVE link, how DUST will affect alliances, plus a couple roundtables and open discussions. They've also said that they have several tiers of Beta left and they'll be polling player feedback on how extensive the link should be, what they showed was not a final product.

Personally, they still have a lot of things to say, and they have 2 more days to go over it in this event and months more in dev blogs and forum posts. So, waiting and seeing what else they have. I'll remain optimistic.
Buelle Aucie
Irresponsible Losses
#38 - 2012-03-23 05:25:14 UTC
Louis deGuerre wrote:
You missed out the part where one of the EVE players shot the other to get the full bounty for the orbital strike.

Best bit of fanfest so far Cool

LOL!!!! Wish I could have seen that!
ShadowFire15
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#39 - 2012-03-23 06:35:18 UTC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF4diq-KlXI

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ORBITAL BOMBARDMENT

[i]Stan Smith had a snow storm over weekend guy was shoveling snow outside, so i shot him and mined the snow myself. concord never showed up. on an unrelated note, i have a court date next tuesday[/i]

Rancyin
Balls Deep Inc.
Minmatar Fleet Alliance
#40 - 2012-03-23 07:30:48 UTC
As a hardcore FPS player for many many years. Dust for me looks awsome. The main pulling point is the larger effects in game. where winning or defending a map actually means something on a much larger scale. This is what to this day keep's planetside players hooked.

My only concern would be orbital strikes. I really hope that they cannot be set off in hisec. Becasue this feature would bring so much more action to low sec which needs some love.

/Rancyin