These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE Online: Crucible 1.5 Feedback

First post
Author
Zedolf
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#61 - 2012-03-13 19:02:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Zedolf
Rose Hips wrote:
MAC:

How do I launch my multiple clients? All my settings are lost in each client.

In the past I would install and it would create an "Eve Online". I would copy the entire install and rename the copy to "Eve Online 2" and another copy as "Eve Online 3".

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Multiple_clients
^This. Now you won't have to have 3x(Eve folder size) occupied by Eve, and they will each have their own settings/cache/etc.
Can't say if it works properly with the patch, though - sorry!

(Edit: By using symlinks, that is!)

Edit #2:
Also, almost no problems on my end. Launcher worked fine, patched fine, etc. A minor bug has sneaked in, I've posted about it in the issues thread.
Here's to more patch days like the one I, myself, have had today.
Grey Stormshadow
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#62 - 2012-03-13 19:24:17 UTC
I was expecting that launcher would come with multi client support but it didn't.
Left disappointed as multi client patching was pretty much the thing I was expecting it to improve.

No I don't want to know more about import/export patch function - I can copy paste myself too but well written launcher would do all this and more for me.

1. Start laucher
2. Examine all installed clients - if updates needed - download and install.
3. Let user choose which clients to launch simultaneously.
4. Close launcher.

- Add client based settings import//export to launcher menu and make automatic backup before every patch.

Get classic forum style - custom videos to captains quarters screen

Play with the best - die like the rest

Takashi Kaeda
Perkone
Caldari State
#63 - 2012-03-13 19:45:56 UTC
The client seems to launch slower for me.

Other than, good work CCP.
CCP Cascade
#64 - 2012-03-13 19:47:57 UTC
Takashi Kaeda wrote:
The client seems to launch slower for me.
Other than, good work CCP.

The first patch with the Launcher will take a little extra time, because the Launcher is doing a lot of calculations for your current install which is roughly 10GB. Those calculations are then cached, so next time you run an update it will be a lot quicker.

Associate Technical Producer - Core Technology Group

Raz Lictor
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#65 - 2012-03-13 20:03:06 UTC
I don't mind the name changes (which we knew were coming), so much as not putting a comprehensive list of what was changed in the patch notes. Or in the least indicating somewhere in the patch notes that the name changes were going through for 1.5. What's the point of having patch notes if you don't list half the things you're changing?
Chokichi Ozuwara
Perkone
Caldari State
#66 - 2012-03-13 20:14:57 UTC
Raz Lictor wrote:
What's the point of having patch notes if you don't list half the things you're changing?

The same point as making dev blogs and forum posts and then ignoring any negative feedback. It's a lack of accountability and responsibility, which probably explains how a patch this bad gets pushed out.

Tears will be shed and pants will need to be changed all round.

Rivqua
Omega Wing
#67 - 2012-03-13 20:25:47 UTC
The launcher has introduced a issue with my setup. I run EVE on two machines, from a single eve folder. I'll show the the setup.

Main Comp > Eve set up as normal in C:\Games and run from there.
2nd Comp > c:\Games\eve mklinked to Main Comp\Games\eve.

This way, the 2nd comp only saves data locally (stuff like character pictures, cache) in the user folder, but as long as I patch eve once on the main computer, I can then run the 2nd comp without wasting 10G of space (which helps on a 60G SSD).

But now Launcher is complaining about permissions etc, and won't start.

If I copy eve over, and remove the symlink, it works fine. But it's unneccary and a decrease of functionality. Can we have a fix? For example, Launcher can save stuff in the user folder too, and not write to the eve game folder ?

Thanks!

- Riv
James Henry Smith
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#68 - 2012-03-13 20:35:11 UTC
I'm at work right now (North America Eastern Time Zone) and with all these issues and negative comments I'm afraid to even ATTEMPT to install the Launcher let alone the patches after when I get home. What seems to be most disappointing is that all the progress that was made since Crucible 1.0 may be lost because the management of CCP still has not fixed the lack of QA / testing processes and we once again have many users with game-breaking issues. Fixing a lot of gameplay annoyances is good but not when the fixes themselves break the game, and this new Launcher has not improved the functionality of the game since client restarts are still required after every single patch.

My suggestion: perform a backout tomorrow at downtime, fix the gameplay issues (graphics, sound, lag, crashes), pull the Launcher component completely out, then re-release Crucible 1.5, and revamp your QA / testing processes.
Black Remorse
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#69 - 2012-03-13 20:38:44 UTC
Any command line switch or so to skip the launcher and go straight to the login screen?
Anita1
Meinungsfreiheit
#70 - 2012-03-13 20:44:24 UTC
can you guys pls not **** up this thread with the launcher bullshit too, there is already another thread about it, you might read it first
Zedolf
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#71 - 2012-03-13 20:52:33 UTC
Anita1 wrote:
can you guys pls not **** up this thread with the launcher bullshit too, there is already another thread about it, you might read it first

There's also a thread related to issues (it's even has "Issues" in it's name!). Maybe you should take your evemail spam over there. Oh wait, you already did. Roll
Anita1
Meinungsfreiheit
#72 - 2012-03-13 20:53:26 UTC
Zedolf wrote:
Anita1 wrote:

There's also a thread related to issues (it's even has "Issues" in it's name!). Maybe you should take your evemail spam over there. Oh wait, you already did. Roll

well maybe you should f... off and play the game, oh wait you are wasting your time useless instead
Pierced Brosmen
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#73 - 2012-03-13 20:56:47 UTC
Cool stuff... launcher worked quite well, though as I have my eve clients pinned to the start bar I noticed that the launcher is omitted when starting the clients from there (since they link to the \bin\ExeFile.exe and not the eve.exe file)

BUT... After reading the patch notes I noticed the part about the ships getting their "correct" racial exhaust and engine trails set and I was sad to see that the signature green exhaust of the Deimos has been lost (I call it signature, since I haven't seen any other ships with pure green exhaust. And also, in the Crucible trailer it was a group of Deimos with green trails that were in focus when the "Engine trails are back" was written on the screen... Why remove something that is unique enough to put it in the trailer? )
Also I am not sure I support the change of exhaust colour on the Orca... Unlike the other Ore ships, the Orca is part Caldari design and that would justify it having a Caldari'ish exhaust, wich happen to look better on that ship then the yellow we've got now
Luckytania
Bullets of Justice
#74 - 2012-03-13 21:07:22 UTC
Mac Lion (OS X 10.7.3) running multiple concurrent clients / accounts

New launcher went without a hitch. (In fact, better than on WinXP, where it failed twice before succeeding.)

I do suggest you post in both this and the issues thread pointing at where to find the info about setting up multiple Eve clients on Mac so people don't get so frustrated hunting it down. (BTW, I found the info at: Multiple Clients. But would be nice to have a DEV acknowledge the legitimacy of that in this and the Issues threads.)

Only sad note is that my frame rates have dropped substantially. Perhaps as much as by half. I noticed on the patch notes that another attempt to improve stability was included in this patch (very sorely needed) so this could be a byproduct.

Not crashing is essential, but please do take another look at performance for your Mac based customers.
Luckytania
Bullets of Justice
#75 - 2012-03-13 21:13:07 UTC
And a note about how the launcher is a major win, for me.

I have two ISP connections set up with load-balancing. Since the new launcher starts up multiple concurrent downloads, it now takes less than half the time for a patch to get all downloaded.

Now that is a minority use case. However it is so nice to get such a substantial improvement from a :CCP: action that I wanted to point it out. :)
Tubrug1
Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly.
Kybernauts Clade
#76 - 2012-03-13 21:30:22 UTC
You moved the station in Akiainavas, I am most displeased.
Ulf Raben
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#77 - 2012-03-13 21:39:27 UTC
Something for everyone to LAUGH at :

CCP Spitfire Quote at the beginning of this thread : " EVE Online: Crucible 1.5 has been successfully deployed."

If ever in my entire 5 years of playing EVE something CCP has produced has been MORE UNSUCCESSFUL
than this CRAP UPDATE ... i do not know .

Making 60 Million USD in Revenue from faithfull players / Year give some RESPOSIBILITY !

For ME .. most of my WORK inside EVE is now destroyed .. endless Hours of Time in-game LOST
in my effort to get this CRAP UPDATE downloaded following all kind of fancy advice ..or lack thereof

For this i want some COMPENSATION ..if this is not the FINAL BREAK DOWN of EVE ON-LINE ..

The compensation better has to be REALLY SHINY to partly compensate me for lost TIME
if and when it finally will be possible to download a FUNCTIONING EVE CLIENT from scratch again

Or may I suggest to CCP to make the upcoming Gathering of EVE Players in ICELAND into a FUNERAL EVENT !

For my part i can say : I am really ANGRY and DISSAPOINTED
Razzishi
Trash Reclamation Experts
#78 - 2012-03-13 22:14:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Razzishi
Not happy with my market quickbar not being organized AT ALL. I didn't particularly like being forced to have it alphabetically, but at least in that case I could control the order by using dummy characters in front of the names. Now....it's just completely unsorted, without apparent rhyme or reason.

At least with the new meta item names we'll be getting some way to tell which items are better than others other than memorization, but why are they being rolled out so slowly? If you know what the names are going to be eventually, why can't they just all be fixed in one swoop? The fact that it takes apparently real work to change the name of items in a systematized manner does not say good things about the code base.

edit: Oh, and I open my mineral group and see it is sorted by quality of item, suggesting that somehow the entire list is sorted under a similar paradigm. Thank you for making me swap absolutely every row and column of my spreadsheet so that I can again efficiently move through the list of items I deal with.
Spank The Lady
New Eden Ink
#79 - 2012-03-13 22:20:56 UTC
Ulf Raben wrote:
Rabble

I wasted time reading your 3 posts in this tread, seeing that they were more about ranting then anything else like asking for advice on getting the thing to work in a constructive manner....

I wasted time I could have spent on something more useful

I want COMPENSATION for my lost time
Razzishi
Trash Reclamation Experts
#80 - 2012-03-13 22:22:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Razzishi
Oh, and Minerals are automagically sorted by item quality low to high (Trit on top, Morph on bottom) but Drone poop is sorted in the exact opposite order. What other new and wondrous things will I discover in the market tonight?

edit: I spoke too soon! Despite perfect ordering of minerals by value, and Drone poop starting at the top with the two most expensive ones, it actually then goes all over the place meaning that it's probably some internal number that players can't typically see that is causing this organization.