These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Looking for a sci fi book

First post
Author
Elistea
BLUE Regiment.
#81 - 2012-02-23 10:08:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Elistea
A constructive thread after loong loong time. Rly rare thing these days.

I am big fan of A.C.Clarke.
As a world's renown astrophysicist his books have large grasp of "How it rly could be"

http://sk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Charles_Clarke

The Space Odyssey tetralogy is timeless classic (book , NOT the movie)

RAMA tetralogy is simply incredible.

However my personal fauvorite is novel Earthlight.
Great escalating storyline with incredible real-like spacebattle in the end.
Akirei Scytale
Okami Syndicate
#82 - 2012-02-23 10:15:17 UTC
Elistea wrote:
A constructive thread after loong loong time. Rly rare thing these days.

I am big fan of A.C.Clarke.
As a world's renown astrophysicist his book have large grasp of "How it rly could be"

http://sk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Charles_Clarke

The Space Odyssey tetralogy is timeless classic (book , NOT the movie)

RAMA tetralogy is simply incredible.

However my personal fauvorite is novel Earthlight.
Great escalating storyline with incredible real-like spacebattle in the end.

Fun fact:

Arthur C Clarke invented the concept of a telecommunications satellite in one of his stories, but neglected to patent it. He is also very largely responsible for public knowledge of the "space elevator" concept, but did not originally conceive it.
Maxpie
MUSE LLP
#83 - 2012-02-24 02:22:18 UTC
He may have been mentioned somewhere in here, but Alastair Reynolds work, particularly his Revelation Space novels are very Eve-like. I always wondered if the Eve alliance Trimvurate (are they still around?) took their name from his books.

Obviously many of the greats which have been mentioned are certainly required reading if you haven't read them already: Asimov, Heinlen, Bradbury, Herbert, ****, Pohl, Niven...the list goes on and on.

No good deed goes unpunished

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#84 - 2012-02-24 05:32:20 UTC
If you've not seen it already, go looking at Baen Free Library.

And the Fifth Imperium collection.

Though I would suggest buying, if you like the books Blink Baen are taking a chance by not DRMing their books, and selling at a reasonable price. ($6 which works out well for Brits. No idea what average prices are in the US) So far, it's working out for them.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#85 - 2012-03-11 21:08:08 UTC
This flow chart can help you.

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Tanya Powers
Doomheim
#86 - 2012-03-11 21:34:08 UTC
Jenna Nicole wrote:
Hey folks, in celebration of buying a kindle fire I'm looking for a good book.
I have read the eve novels and I'm looking for something similar to the EVE universe as in space stations, cloning, starships ect
Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

DUNE god dammit DUNE !!!

If you haven't read it yet then you've just forgot one of the best sci fi successes ever. Yes the film is cool but read it first and the watch the film, you'll ask yourself who came first, the film or the book.

Cletus Graeme
Shai Dorsai
#87 - 2012-03-11 22:29:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Cletus Graeme
Tanya Powers wrote:

DUNE god dammit DUNE !!!

If you haven't read it yet then you've just forgot one of the best sci fi successes ever. Yes the film is cool but read it first and the watch the film, you'll ask yourself who came first, the film or the book.

I was just about to post this myself. Easily one of the best scifi space operas ever and as much a classic of the genre as Tolkein's LOTR.

The Forever War and Ender's Game are similar MUST READS for any serious scifi fan.

Gordon R Dickson's Dorsai Cycle is also a great read if you like older 1950/60s sci-fi. The writing style is simple, the stories immersive and the philosophy light years ahead of his time. One of my all time favourites.

Peter F. Hamilton and Alastair Reynolds are superb modern space opera writers - as others have already mentioned.

I too have read the Halo books and they're suprisingly good and do the game plenty of justice by giving the backstory greater depth.

I'm also a huge fan of Richard Morgan's series about Takeshi Kovacs and the Envoy Corps which somebody already mentioned but they aren't so much space "opera" as space "detective". Neuromancer is the same - not space opera but cyber punk - although I preferred Snow Crash myself.
Raieth Crimson
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#88 - 2012-03-11 22:43:26 UTC
"The Flight of the Dragonfly", by Robert L Forward.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#89 - 2012-03-13 11:21:36 UTC
reaMdE by Neal Stephenson.

It's about an MMORPG that goes awry !

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Johann Tollefson
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#90 - 2012-03-13 12:21:22 UTC
Armor by John Steakley - Dust style armored infantry, but Circa 1984. One of those books you'll find yourself setting down as the sun rises

The Stars my Destination by Alfred Bester - Classic story of revenge and rage

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy - Not Scifi but a very dark western. A tale of men pursuing wealth and violence in the lawless west. Ganking, circa 1850

Old Mans War by John Scalzi - Geriatrics turned into genetically engineered killing machines in space

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess - That ganker, the one who smartbombed your pod in Jita? Yah, this is what he's like Droog.

The Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison - The original scoundrel in space. Thief, con-artist and all around dirty bastard. Somewhat dated now but still a comical read

Gibson, Heinlein, Herbert, Clarke, Asimov, Card, any of the Masters you can't go wrong with.
Cletus Graeme
Shai Dorsai
#91 - 2012-03-27 05:40:17 UTC
chadwill wrote:
Arthur C. Clarke - Childhood's End ..was pretty nice

Being a fan of Clarke when I was growing up, I decided to read this recently but found it boring and dated. I think times have changed too much to enjoy the idealism of AC Clarke but his space odyssey trilogy is still awesome.
inflCMNDR VoO
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#92 - 2012-05-12 18:37:30 UTC
Neuromancer - William Gibson
Foundation (the book series) - Isaac Asimov (not really like Eve per-se, but an epic sci-fi adventure
Killer Gandry
The Concilium Enterprises
#93 - 2012-05-12 18:52:47 UTC
Jack Vance

Harry Harrison

Old school writers but with some real gems.
Gorki Andropov
I Dn't Knw Wht You Wnt Bt I Cn't Gve It Anymre
#94 - 2012-05-12 19:04:56 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Phantom
By the way, OP, a really really good book is called Posting Non EVE-Related Content In The OOPE Section Is A Really Good Idea, by The Forum Rules.
ewieza
Doomheim
#95 - 2012-05-12 19:18:19 UTC
http://randolphlalonde.blogspot.com/

The Spinward Fringe series by Randolph Lalonde

best part - you can read the first book free

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/3178

This is realy worth it and onew of the new up and comming writers.

Lady Starfire
State War Academy
Caldari State
#96 - 2012-05-12 19:22:36 UTC
Poul William Anderson - Terran empire and stuff. Early stuff in universe is a bit about free traders.

John Ringo - The March Up Country (with david weber) is a fun series. The Troy Rising series starts with aliens making a ring gate to earth and another group taking over the planet. Also they have a war over maple syrup. His stuff has a strong Libertarian slant. His thriller / Id trip the Ghost books are so very special and have all sorts of things that are 17+
Jastra
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#97 - 2012-05-12 19:38:52 UTC
FloppieTheBanjoClown wrote:
The Forever War was quite good, that was my most recent book.

Currently reading Bear's The Forge of God. Can't recommend it yet, but it might get better.

I recently read Baxter's Ring, which is the last book of the Xeelee Cycle (something I learned after reading the book). They make a fascinating universe and I'll be picking up the rest of the books soon.

I enjoyed forge of god, just re-read it recently, Greg Bear generally is awesome.

In terms of "stuff like eve" space opera I guess so Peter Hamilton, Iain M Banks obviously, Greg Egan, Charlie Stross (Accelerando - not necessarily like EVE but damn good sci fi :) ) - most of the stuff mentioned already is awesome - need moar Sci Fi!!

Mathias Hex
#98 - 2012-05-12 19:43:11 UTC
Good topic for once! I personally never read a sci-fi book but will have to check some of these out on audiobook of course, like to listen when I'm imprisoned in the block plant at work.

I recall one night in a nightclub called the matrix, there I was... Mother of god there I am! Holy f**k.

mokslininkas
Vak'Atioth War Veterans
#99 - 2012-05-12 19:59:41 UTC
Makos Suti
Genius Bt.
#100 - 2012-05-12 20:40:07 UTC
Lois McMaster Bujold - Vorkosigan Saga