These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Looking for a sci fi book

First post
Author
Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#41 - 2012-02-20 13:44:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Zimmy Zeta
Admittedly there are not a terrible lots of spaceships, but I always loved the work of Philip Jose Farmer- Novels like The Green Odyssey or The Stone God Awakens.
Also Frederic Brown.
1950's Science Fiction best Science Fiction. Cool

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the post above and sincerely hope you didn't waste your time reading it. Yes, I do feel bad about it.

Professor Alphane
Les Corsaires Diable
#42 - 2012-02-20 13:50:10 UTC
Philip.K.[censored] is great (and the origin of my name)

Herbert's stuff is good - thinking of which anyone else actually ever catch themselves reciting the litany in there heads, or is that just me being a little mad Blink

Someone others might not have mentoined (didn't read the whole thread) but is a classic Sci-Fi writer is H.GWells

Also like John Wyndem (SP?)

[center]YOU MUST THINK FIRST....[/center] [center]"I sit with the broken angels clutching at straws and nursing our scars.." - Marillion [/center] [center]The wise man watches the rise and fall of fools from afar[/center]

Bane Loppknow
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#43 - 2012-02-20 13:50:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Bane Loppknow
Edit: Goddamn it, forum ate my post.
Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#44 - 2012-02-20 13:52:40 UTC
Professor Alphane wrote:
Philip.K.[censored] is great (and the origin of my name)

Herbert's stuff is good - thinking of which anyone else actually ever catch themselves reciting the litany in there heads, or is that just me being a little mad Blink

Someone others might not have mentoined (didn't read the whole thread) but is a classic Sci-Fi writer is H.GWells

Also like John Wyndem (SP?)

+1 for Wells

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the post above and sincerely hope you didn't waste your time reading it. Yes, I do feel bad about it.

Smooy Clouden
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#45 - 2012-02-20 14:20:48 UTC
I randomly picked up 'Leviathan Wakes' at the library. It is a great read that can't be put down.

Review
Kaneda Kurosawa
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#46 - 2012-02-20 14:29:12 UTC
Nirnias Stirrum wrote:
Any of the Warhammer 40k Novels. Personally i would reccommend:

Horus Heresy, series
Gaunts Ghosts, series
Eisenhorn, Omnibus
Ravenour, Omnibus
Space Wolves, Omnibus

There are a lot more, hundreds of WH 40k novels. The best Author imo is Dan Abnet.

+1 to the Black Library books, always loved the lore from Warhammer and Warhammer 40k and these are very well written now.

Also, older authors like HG Wells etc are quite often free to read now.

-1 to Ian M Banks, he should have stuck to pure fiction (wasp factory etc).

Ding a ding dang my dang along ling long

Darrow Hill
Vodka and Vice
#47 - 2012-02-20 14:32:56 UTC
Ludi Tomina
Hull Pen
Pen Is Out
#48 - 2012-02-20 15:29:46 UTC
FloppieTheBanjoClown
Wardecs Without Borders
#49 - 2012-02-20 15:32:50 UTC
The Forever War was quite good, that was my most recent book.

Currently reading Bear's The Forge of God. Can't recommend it yet, but it might get better.

I recently read Baxter's Ring, which is the last book of the Xeelee Cycle (something I learned after reading the book). They make a fascinating universe and I'll be picking up the rest of the books soon.

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

Luh Windan
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#50 - 2012-02-20 15:49:36 UTC
Ludi Tomina wrote:

yes forgot about that one - the whole sequence is good. Also the olympus books (and the Terror while not scifi is very good too)
Ludi Tomina
Hull Pen
Pen Is Out
#51 - 2012-02-20 15:59:10 UTC
Luh Windan wrote:

yes forgot about that one - the whole sequence is good. Also the olympus books (and the Terror while not scifi is very good too)

Yeah, Hyperion Cantos is my favorite SF read. And thank you for your list. I'm interested in many books from it that I haven't even heard of until now (Embassytown and Dhalgren are now pretty high on my to-read list).
Jenshae Chiroptera
#52 - 2012-02-20 16:38:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenshae Chiroptera
sycore101 wrote:

Another author i almost forgot Iain M. Banks - another really good original author of space sci-fi, brilliant take on technology & future aspect, i'd read Excession, then Considering Phlebas, Use Of Wepons, Surface Detail, it'll give you a brialliant insight of what his style is,

I back this recommendation up ( I think Consider Phelbas is his first one of The Culture books) and also suggest Anne Mac Affrey's "The ship who sang" if you like some older classic Sci-Fi

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Professor Alphane
Les Corsaires Diable
#53 - 2012-02-20 16:45:45 UTC
Kaneda Kurosawa wrote:
Ian M Banks.

Not technicaly sci-fi , but computer game related I'd reccomend anyone to pick up 'Complicity' by him Blink

[center]YOU MUST THINK FIRST....[/center] [center]"I sit with the broken angels clutching at straws and nursing our scars.." - Marillion [/center] [center]The wise man watches the rise and fall of fools from afar[/center]

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#54 - 2012-02-20 17:13:56 UTC
FloppieTheBanjoClown wrote:
(something I learned after reading the book)

I hate when that happens.

I've found http://www.librarything.com/ is good for checking, to see where a book lies in a series.

And the recommendation engine's not bad.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#55 - 2012-02-20 17:17:50 UTC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Requiem_for_Homo_Sapiens

The best 4 books you will ever read.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Mersault
Blue Nine Industries
#56 - 2012-02-20 17:27:09 UTC
Another vote for Iain M. Banks Culture novels - like Hamilton a lot too.
Othran
Route One
#57 - 2012-02-20 17:43:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Othran
Sasha Azala wrote:
I also would recommend 'Forever War', that's a good sci-fi book.

Edit: The author draws on his military service experiences, which is what made this book a good read.

It certainly was a gem!

This. I've read loads of sci-fi - pretty much everything from Asimov through to Peter F Hamilton (don't bother with anything other than Night's Dawn trilogy) and Forever War is one that sticks in my mind.

Its up with the very very best I've read - its a plausible account of a war which relativistic effects extend, well for a very long time. Quite haunting, younger readers might find some of it a bit strange.

If you like that then read "Forever Free" and "Forever Peace" - Haldeman has a foreword in one of those which explains his thinking back in 1974 when he wrote Forever War.

I thoroughly recommend all three - great stories.
Luh Windan
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#58 - 2012-02-20 17:49:00 UTC
It occurs to me that this is a very male writer heavy list and there are some fantastic women Scifi writers.

If you like Scifi you *should* read Left hand of darkness and lathe of Heaven by Ursula K LeGuin (and in fact most everything she has written)

Dorris Lessings Canpus in Archives sequence is very experimental but very very good (and very impressionistic)

Joanna Russ is great

and I really enjoyed the Native Tongue series by Suzette Haden Elgin

and of course Margret Attwoods Handmaids tale

there is loads more but these are standouts
Luh Windan
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#59 - 2012-02-20 17:52:11 UTC
also I am a complete idiot and I have forgotten a total god:

Stanislaw Lem

again read *everything* (and not just solaris) - sadly not everything has been translated into english (yet!)
Gogela
The Conference Elite
CODE.
#60 - 2012-02-20 17:52:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Gogela
One of my all time favorites has to be Neuromancer by William Gibson. I know it's old, but it's where the term "cyberspace" came from along with many other terms we take for granted today. It's really an iconic novel and if you have not already read it I would say that should be your top priority. No spaceships though...

...for that I'm kind of surprised nobody has mentioned Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Especially given all the people you see in-game with some variant of "Ender" in their name. It's on the USMC's recommended reading list (I was surprised as any to find they had one) so you might pick it up. It's light fare, you'll finish it in a day or two, but it's pretty good. Like Neuromancer, it's one of those books you should read for cultural context if nothing else, but the story stands on it's own.

EDIT:
Hmmm... maybe I should learn how to read before I start recommending reading material...

Akirei Scytale wrote:
How many of the classics have you read? Ender's Game, Foundation, Rendezvous with Rama, Neuromancer, etc.

You should probably start with those.

Signatures should be used responsibly...