These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New dev blog: Fixing some things and moving forward

First post First post
Author
Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2011-09-19 18:01:56 UTC
so wait, fixing lightning, the return of ship spinning, a new font and new cyno effects?

all it needs now is engine trails \o/

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#22 - 2011-09-19 18:03:04 UTC
I'm spinning, right round, round... how was that song again?

\o/

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Black Madness
Natural Born Builders
New Eden Gambling Alliance
#23 - 2011-09-19 18:03:39 UTC
DmD666 wrote:
Graphics improvements in Eve? Over features? Yawn.

This.
Whiteknight03
Trilon Industries and Exploration
#24 - 2011-09-19 18:03:43 UTC
A good step in the right direction, finally
CCP Guard
C C P
C C P Alliance
#25 - 2011-09-19 18:04:32 UTC
We added a new image we just got to the blog so feel free to refresh if you were one of the first readers.

CCP Guard | EVE Community Developer | @CCP_Guard

Alejan Gerakh
Scourge Wolf Syndicate
#26 - 2011-09-19 18:04:34 UTC
Personally, I would have liked the new turret icons to stay, but to have backdrops like the ship and drone icons it was attempting to mirror. You know, the only other two items that also have a 3D presence in-game that feature rendered icons, as well. I personally like the fact that each turret is unique, instead of all turrets of the same size class looking exactly the same as an icon. Again, like the Captain's Quarters and the return of Ship Spinning, it should be optional, if possible.

A colorful backdrop (maybe circular or rounded corners, and colored based on race like the ship/drone ones), at least when displayed next to the target boxes next to the Selected Item window, would help them stand out in the places where people seemed the most perturbed about the new icons...

But whatever. Doesn't matter much to me, either way. I suppose most generally use one type of a given size class, anyway..?

As a side note, I've actually docked, done my business, and undocked long before the 'station environment' finished loading quite a few times, now, thanks to the removed session timer.

"Sounds like a bad case of pikal envy, if you ask me."

"They called the Enterprise a garbage scow! Sir."

Chaotic Good - The ends justify blowing $#!t up.

Taleris Kline
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#27 - 2011-09-19 18:05:06 UTC
Are all of the features listed above (new font, return to turret icons, "new" hangar, and improved rendering ) going to be dropped onto SiSi and then TQ at the same time or will it be a staged release?

Will there be announcements made when each feature is made live on SiSi?
CCP Guard
C C P
C C P Alliance
#28 - 2011-09-19 18:05:30 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Guard
Grimpak wrote:
so wait, fixing lightning, the return of ship spinning, a new font and new cyno effects?

all it needs now is engine trails \o/

Engine trails are on a backlog. Which means the backlog basically has engine trails. So it must be moving fast!

More seriously, I have no idea of timing at this point though and it could be a while. I just don't know. All I know is that it's on a backlog which means it will be done at some point in time that is not this very moment.

CCP Guard | EVE Community Developer | @CCP_Guard

Issac Kaine
Hyperflux Industries
Almost Broken
#29 - 2011-09-19 18:05:51 UTC
yay ship spinning Lol
Korerin Mayul
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#30 - 2011-09-19 18:06:40 UTC
this pleases me, it pleases me in the pants.
Crasniya
The Aussienauts
#31 - 2011-09-19 18:06:44 UTC
New picture is hawt. Can we get a shot of the Gallente quarters yet? :D

Soraya Xel - Council of Planetary Management 1 - soraya@biomassed.net

Alejan Gerakh
Scourge Wolf Syndicate
#32 - 2011-09-19 18:07:06 UTC
quickshot89 wrote:
can we just have the old cyno effect back instead of another new one?

There wasn't even a 'new' one in the first place, last I checked. It just used the same jump effect as using a stargate.

"Sounds like a bad case of pikal envy, if you ask me."

"They called the Enterprise a garbage scow! Sir."

Chaotic Good - The ends justify blowing $#!t up.

Elvin Gizza
Gerek Ore And Moon Surveying
#33 - 2011-09-19 18:07:58 UTC
It is a start, i won't thank you for returning the old icons, as it was clearly a mistake putting in new ones.
But with these rollback i hope and pray it is the start of ccp focusing more on eve.

I look forward to see ship spinning and a cargohold window that will stay open again

O/
kipperslap
0utside Bet
Brothers of Tangra
#34 - 2011-09-19 18:08:06 UTC
Great, but seriously, how long has it taken to get some of this stuff fixed that should never have been 'fixed' to start with?
Psihius
Perkone
Caldari State
#35 - 2011-09-19 18:09:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Psihius
****, YEAH! Pirate
Hakaru Ishiwara
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#36 - 2011-09-19 18:09:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Hakaru Ishiwara
Thank you for returning the working functionality and graphical assets to the game. Please do not remove working and usable "stuff" again without serious consideration. And if it was a time / money problem, please take the extra time needed to, at the very least, keep usability at a constant level. Those turret renderings were a visual abomination and should have never been given the go-ahead.

Also, thank you for recognizing that the act of docking and using CQ can potentially result in a significant ramping up of system resource utilization. It is one thing to throw every local resource available at the client when major in-space activities are taking place and another when a pilot goes to dock and afk for a bit. Where the latter logically should not ask much of the PC (and the customer's electricity bill).

Addenda: Just did some rough testing and I observed that when docked and using a fully-enabled CQ client, my system ramps up power consumption by about 100W. Yup, 100W extra to be in a room by myself with little-to-no entertainment value. Might be a good option when Winter sets in and **** gets cold. Roll

Hardware:
Core i7 920 (@ stock speeds and Speed Step settings)
GeForce 560Ti 1GB.

+++++++ I have never shed a tear for a fellow EVE player until now. Mark “Seleene” Heard's Blog Honoring Sean "Vile Rat" Smith.

Flynn Fetladral
Tempered Aggression
Seker Matar
#37 - 2011-09-19 18:10:03 UTC
Good work CCP. Winter is heating up already! :-D

Oh and we used a little officer mods. KIDDING! We used a lot of officers mods, A LOT! Because we don’t :censored: around in low-sec.

@flynnfetladral on #tweetfleet

darius mclever
#38 - 2011-09-19 18:11:04 UTC
\\o \o/ o//
Lord Helghast
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#39 - 2011-09-19 18:11:18 UTC
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MORE OF THESE DEVBLOGS lol

Seriously devblogs like this actually make the consumer base happy, only thing missing...

VIDEO DEMOING THE NEW CYNO :)

Still hoping we get more devblogs related to other things coming, the rebalance, the supercaps, the nullsec changes, the new gun effects, the engine trails, nebulas... so many things i wish we had info on.....

Its a great update though and all 3 things are great that are coming, though honestly the icons and the "leave ship" button are sorta not new features but things taht should have been done hehe... Hope still that ship spinning got a little bit of spit polish in this new version that would be nice :)

Glasgow Dunlop
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#40 - 2011-09-19 18:11:24 UTC
ship spinning should have never been removed.

@glasgowdunlop #tweetfleet

TDSIN Director : Join 'TDSIN pub' for more info, Join today!

Glasgow EVE Meets Organiser