These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

SKILL POINTS AS REWARD FROM MISSIONING

First post
Author
Versuvius Marii
Browncoats of Persephone
Ironworks Coalition
#81 - 2012-02-08 12:59:18 UTC
Good troll, OP. 8/10 for tears harvested thus far.

The Gaming MoD - retro to modern, console to MMO, I blog about it if it's a game and I'm interested in it. Yes, I play games other than Eve and I don't care if you think I'm wrong.

Malamber
Venomous Cloud
Scorned Syndicate
#82 - 2012-02-08 16:00:53 UTC
Versuvius Marii wrote:

+1 douche for non-content
Darkness Descend
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#83 - 2012-02-08 17:12:45 UTC
lol. just... lol. Farmers would become über skilled, and PVP'ers would stay as it was normally + If you want to get EXP, go to another game please.

One of the best things about eve is that you dont have to be online 23/7 to become better.

-1 from me.
UAB
Perkone
Caldari State
#84 - 2012-02-09 20:43:01 UTC
Tekashi Kovacs wrote:
Lemok Sonji wrote:

CCP doesn't want EvE to be a grind game like wow (or any other RPG game), where you grind long enough, you get better gear, and you are now "better" and things.

EvE is about skill of the player and the community around him, not of his character.

I just loled hard at this one.

Then tell me why when I log in WoW I can just play BGs/arenas for several hours/day without much need of grind, while in EVE I work either for shiny pve ship or pvp "replacement" ones. EVE is actually biggest grinding game I've ever played, and I played basically every known MMO during last 10 years. If you dont RMT/sell GTCs (both equally lame and counts as cheating imo), then nothing comes close to EVEs grind.

So stop talking this nonsense please.

Now I have to answer to this. I was borex with eve once, was only logging for 10 minutes every 2 days and still making 1bil per month per char doing pI and trading. My point is, u dont need allmost any skills to make iskies in eve. And that way you can buy chat fast enough with skills you want. I see no need to add exp for certain activies.
There are tons of guides and spreadshies on internet to help you to be effcient!
AND like someone told real experience comes with learning tactis in eve (I know, lost billions last month learning wh zurvival basics:-)

sorry for mistakes, writing from phone:-D
Eve Is Real
#85 - 2012-02-09 21:39:35 UTC
That wouldn't be fair mate
Kira Deschain
Arcane Odyssey
Electus Matari
#86 - 2012-02-09 22:51:16 UTC
I have typed a response to this thread at least 5 times already and every time I cancel the post.... I guess because I feel like I'm beating a dead horse by saying this is a bad idea. But you asked for comments so...

I have to agree that making a change like this for missions only would be extremely unfair. CCP would have to add skill point rewards for doing just about anything in the game in order to make it fair. Skill points per rat killed, complex completed, roid mined, etc., etc. That would turn EVE into every other MMO ever made, and that would really, really suck. I fail to see the benefit in ruining one of the more unique aspects of EVE.
Borun Tal
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#87 - 2012-02-09 23:23:25 UTC
I approve of this idea! I'd love to be able to use PayPal to put down a couple hundred bucks for a high-sec Titan with an OMGWTFBOOM DD to kill some frigate rats in .8 space...

(Cuz, ya know, them frigate rats in .8 are fast and TOUGH!)
Borun Tal
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#88 - 2012-02-09 23:24:34 UTC
Versuvius Marii wrote:

... and no, that wasn't a good troll. Back to Troll Detection Class for you!
GreenSeed
#89 - 2012-02-09 23:35:17 UTC
Ifly Uwalk wrote:
You want EXP? gb2wow

excuse me sir, we dont use the "W" word here.

Shocked

Tekashi Kovacs wrote:

Then tell me why when I log in WoW I can just play BGs/arenas for several hours/day without much need of grind, while in EVE I work either for shiny pve ship or pvp "replacement" ones. EVE is actually biggest grinding game I've ever played, and I played basically every known MMO during last 10 years. If you dont RMT/sell GTCs (both equally lame and counts as cheating imo), then nothing comes close to EVEs grind.

then please leave.

theres only one thing that makes eve be what it is, and that is.... well, what it is! you're asking to change the one thing that keeps the OLD school eve players playing this game.

and when i say "playing this game" i should say "making this game". because if you take out the vets that manage corps, alliances, the mayor ship building ventures or hell, even jita ganking... the game is dead, theres nothing in it that will keep anyone playing. oh, and btw, none of the ppl that do the things i mentioned do it for "profit" be it ingame or outside, they do it because its fun.

if you came to EVE expecting "content" as in "stupid **** made by so called 'game devs', that youre supposed to do untill new content is released" then myfriend you are in the wrong place. go away, and nothing of value will be lost.

this is a sand box, the players are the content.
Cedo Nulli
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#90 - 2012-02-10 03:35:49 UTC
the oldschool superbillion SP club wont ever let this pass ... they want to keep their advantage as it is.

In a way its annoying that your activity level in the game doesent help your skill points gathering in anyway.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#91 - 2012-02-10 04:18:14 UTC  |  Edited by: RubyPorto
Cedo Nulli wrote:
the oldschool superbillion SP club wont ever let this pass ... they want to keep their advantage as it is.

In a way its annoying that your activity level in the game doesent help your skill points gathering in anyway.

In a way it's awesome that poopsockers don't get some massive advantage over everyone else.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant "In Every Way"

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Steven Fonulique
SF Incorporated
#92 - 2012-02-10 10:32:04 UTC
I've been wanting to post something here since yesterday when I first read found this topic just haven't had the time to put a post together that didn't make me sound like narrow minded nay sayer regarding this particular suggestion, anyway here goes.

One of the basic mechanics used in any rpg is the concept of making your character grow more powerful (evolve) over time. In eve this evolution mechanic is designed in such a way that is requires very very little interaction between the player and the actual game, it's a simple case of deciding what skill you want to train and dropping it at the top of your skill queue and the rest happens automatically. As with all rpgs there are factors that affect the speed at which this evolution occurs but at the end of the day there is a limit to how many of these skill points can be obtain over a given period of time. The Limit for eve is 2700 skill points per hour which translates to 64800 per day.

Now it seems to me one of the intentions behind the OP's suggestion is to introduce a way to increase this limit above the current maximum based on the amount of time a player spends interacting with the game in a specific way. The only real effect this will have is the number of skill points obtainable on a given day will be 64800 from passive training + whatever is achievable by running missions. If ccp were to agree that the current maximum daily limit is too low they could quite easily just increase the passive hourly gain from 2700 to whatever they feel is more appropriate. Now lets assume ccp know what they are doing and indeed want 64800 to be the maximum achievable in a given day then in order to allow for sp rewards from missions or any other ingame activity they would have to reduce the passive sp gains accordingly. Then it needs to be decided if they want the maximum to be achieved by spending all 23.5 hours the server is online by performing the chosen activity or if they want to allow players to gain the skill points in only a few hours and cap it off at the chosen limit.

At the end of the day each active eve account has the same potential for gaining skill points as every other (old and new alike) and no matter what system is used there will always be a limit to how many skill points one can obtain in any given period of time. The idea of changing the current system to negatively affect people who spend less time per day/week playing eve and create the illusion of benefitting those who play more doesn't really seem to me like it will improve the game in any way.
Versuvius Marii
Browncoats of Persephone
Ironworks Coalition
#93 - 2012-02-10 11:19:56 UTC
Malamber wrote:
Versuvius Marii wrote:

+1 douche for non-content
In that case, have a +1 yourself.

The Gaming MoD - retro to modern, console to MMO, I blog about it if it's a game and I'm interested in it. Yes, I play games other than Eve and I don't care if you think I'm wrong.

Atsushi Aishai
Perkone
Caldari State
#94 - 2012-02-10 11:31:41 UTC
First of all.
My drones can take out a frigate. And my avatar is a bit older then 1 month.

So I will see it as a terrible thing if you get SP from missions.
What you earn from playing is that the other pilots will recognise you. Even if you are not able to fly a navy something with T2 fit, you are still able to do something with others, like pvp og null-sec mining.

Also EVE is not about grinding. But taking your time. Yes. It takes sometime to be able to fly the ship you want to fly.
But even a decent fit is great if used the right way.
Ynot Eyob
Nisroc Angels
The Obsidian Front - Reborn
#95 - 2012-02-10 11:33:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Ynot Eyob
I actually like the idear but only to a limit.

I think having this for a limit of 5m skill point and mabe only by doing the tutorial missions.
It would help new players get going a bit faster, and it would also make new players actually do the tutorials.
The Turotial mission covers most aspects in the game now, so maby boost this skill in the categori they do missions instead of a skillbook.

Beside that i agree with most in this topic, this is not like other MMOs.

Nisroc - Angel of Freedom Nisroc is known as "The Great Eagle".

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#96 - 2012-02-10 13:44:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Krixtal Icefluxor
HARE-BRAINED and USELESS idea. Roll

This will be SOOOOO abused.

Skillpoints have gotten enough LOVE. Folks don't even have to deal with Learning Skills anymore.

One huge gignormous NO to this. Kill it at once.

And boredom relief as an excuse for this ? Oh Lord this is so wrong.....................

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#97 - 2012-02-10 13:46:19 UTC
Cedo Nulli wrote:

And the fact skills train while logged off unlike OTHER games is not enough ??? Puh-leaze........

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#98 - 2012-02-10 13:51:47 UTC
Steven Fonulique wrote:
I've been wanting to post something here since yesterday when I first read found this topic just haven't had the time to put a post together that didn't make me sound like narrow minded nay sayer regarding this particular suggestion, anyway here goes.

One of the basic mechanics used in any rpg is the concept of making your character grow more powerful (evolve) over time. In eve this evolution mechanic is designed in such a way that is requires very very little interaction between the player and the actual game, it's a simple case of deciding what skill you want to train and dropping it at the top of your skill queue and the rest happens automatically. As with all rpgs there are factors that affect the speed at which this evolution occurs but at the end of the day there is a limit to how many of these skill points can be obtain over a given period of time. The Limit for eve is 2700 skill points per hour which translates to 64800 per day.

Now it seems to me one of the intentions behind the OP's suggestion is to introduce a way to increase this limit above the current maximum based on the amount of time a player spends interacting with the game in a specific way. The only real effect this will have is the number of skill points obtainable on a given day will be 64800 from passive training + whatever is achievable by running missions. If ccp were to agree that the current maximum daily limit is too low they could quite easily just increase the passive hourly gain from 2700 to whatever they feel is more appropriate. Now lets assume ccp know what they are doing and indeed want 64800 to be the maximum achievable in a given day then in order to allow for sp rewards from missions or any other ingame activity they would have to reduce the passive sp gains accordingly. Then it needs to be decided if they want the maximum to be achieved by spending all 23.5 hours the server is online by performing the chosen activity or if they want to allow players to gain the skill points in only a few hours and cap it off at the chosen limit.

At the end of the day each active eve account has the same potential for gaining skill points as every other (old and new alike) and no matter what system is used there will always be a limit to how many skill points one can obtain in any given period of time. The idea of changing the current system to negatively affect people who spend less time per day/week playing eve and create the illusion of benefitting those who play more doesn't really seem to me like it will improve the game in any way.

You put WAY too much thought into this nonsense. Just had to say : tl;dr.

Shadowsword
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#99 - 2012-02-10 15:25:31 UTC
Darkness Descend wrote:
lol. just... lol. Farmers would become über skilled, and PVP'ers would stay as it was normally + If you want to get EXP, go to another game please.

Not that it would matter, because in pvp, common sense + pvp reflexes >> skill points.

Not that I agree with the OP, I ran missions a lot when I actively played and was rewarded enough for it.

-1 too.
Malamber
Venomous Cloud
Scorned Syndicate
#100 - 2012-02-10 16:12:33 UTC
Steven Fonulique wrote:

+1 because I agree with basis - but - as with Ynot Eyob and someone else (sorry, can't remember your name!), I think this would be awesome IF LIMITED TO NEW PLAYERS. Isn't the point of new players to prolong the games life? They'll learn soon enough not to expect "free" skill points... but the boost to the fun factor would help retain some I think.
Versuvius Marii wrote:
In that case, have a +1 yourself.

The difference is that I actually try and contribute. Your moronic "contributions" really don't count.