These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Tips for Project Discovery exoplanets?

Author
DrysonBennington
Eagle's Talon's
#21 - 2017-07-11 22:15:28 UTC
Valera Schwert wrote:
I have no idea why this failed ...

https://imgur.com/gallery/DPaOb

Because there are two different transits present.

The one that is marked in green that was correct is one and the one marked in read is another one.

When you have plates like this with more than one transit that lines along the same line the other transit will be a second second transit.

The wavy suns like the one in your image are sometimes hard to mark. Just mark all the lower transits with one marker and the higher transits with another marker.

Want me to get ya a Beefy Big Boy from the Fun Machine....Beep...Beep....ANUIRISUN!
zoltan Ishikela
Fe Solari
#22 - 2017-07-11 22:25:20 UTC
http://imgur.com/RLoKtKb

missed 1 marker, FAILED
Zeewolf 46137
Saor Alba
#23 - 2017-07-11 22:29:50 UTC
If they are able to show us the answer once submitted, then surely they dont need us as they already know. This all seems highly pointless, cant see the 'fun' lasting long.
zoltan Ishikela
Fe Solari
#24 - 2017-07-11 22:41:39 UTC
Zeewolf 46137 wrote:
If they are able to show us the answer once submitted, then surely they dont need us as they already know. This all seems highly pointless, cant see the 'fun' lasting long.

i think the ones that are already have the answer are ones that have been analyzed already and are still put in to see if we can see anything different, just my though tho
Shalua Rui
Rui Freelance Mining
#25 - 2017-07-11 22:52:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Shalua Rui
zoltan Ishikela wrote:
Zeewolf 46137 wrote:

i think the ones that are already have the answer are ones that have been analyzed already and are still put in to see if we can see anything different, just my though tho

Pretty much... that's how test groups work. We aren't actually analyzing those readings - would be shoddy science if we did. We are just there to "proof read", so to speak.

Anyways, I just don't see it... down to 1% and stopping now.

"ginger forum goddess, space gypsy and stone nibbler extraordinaire!" Shalua Rui - CEO and founder of Rui Freelance Mining (RFLM)

zoltan Ishikela
Fe Solari
#26 - 2017-07-11 23:03:02 UTC
i want the ship so ima keep grinding, and some how maintaining 50% acc, but i have been getting mixed between ones that have been done by just us, first time ones, and the occasional already checked one
Vanessa Celtis
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2017-07-11 23:05:11 UTC
Shalua Rui wrote:
zoltan Ishikela wrote:
Zeewolf 46137 wrote:

Pretty much... that's how test groups work. We aren't actually analyzing those readings - would be shoddy science if we did. We are just there to "proof read", so to speak.

Anyways, I just don't see it... down to 1% and stopping now.

Was the same for me. Down to 1%, then I insisted (I really did insist), all of a sudden easy samples came up like in the tutorial, so I am now at 93% (getting 2M a tick) and close to grabbing the Pacifier BP.

So my take on this, don't care for your mouse and click the hell out of it !
Blade Darth
Room for Improvement
Good Sax
#28 - 2017-07-11 23:59:36 UTC
Play with the "flattening" option and it's range.
Zoom in on some parts
Even if there is no obvious transits, try to fold it in places that look somewhat interesting. Look for overlapping repeating patterns while scrolling. Good way to deal with pulsating or binary stars too, fold the waveform and see what stands out.

Speaking of harder planets, they messed up and included advanced examples in begginer set.
Matthias Ancaladron
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#29 - 2017-07-12 00:12:47 UTC
The game is currently broken and full of incorrectly labeled slides.

Theyre resetting everyone's accuracy tomorrow because of how broken it currently is. It's just picking random increments and labeling them as transits when many of the pictures have no transits present. If you correctly answer no transits you get it wrong because the slides are all wrong and the only way to get it right is to randomly select and pray to God you picked the right random intervals.
Matthias Ancaladron
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#30 - 2017-07-12 00:13:42 UTC
Blade Darth wrote:
Play with the "flattening" option and it's range.
Zoom in on some parts
Even if there is no obvious transits, try to fold it in places that look somewhat interesting. Look for overlapping repeating patterns while scrolling. Good way to deal with pulsating or binary stars too, fold the waveform and see what stands out.

Speaking of harder planets, they messed up and included advanced examples in begginer set.

It's not even the hard ones. Theyre just all wrong.
Blade Darth
Room for Improvement
Good Sax
#31 - 2017-07-12 00:41:35 UTC
Not all. 10% is messed up.
SurrenderMonkey
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#32 - 2017-07-12 01:06:05 UTC  |  Edited by: SurrenderMonkey
Matthias Ancaladron wrote:

Theyre resetting everyone's accuracy tomorrow because of how broken it currently is. It's just picking random increments and labeling them as transits when many of the pictures have no transits present. If you correctly answer no transits you get it wrong because the slides are all wrong and the only way to get it right is to randomly select and pray to God you picked the right random intervals.

Oh, good. I thought I was just ******* terrible at this. :D Well, I may be yet, we'll see.

Even had a few in which there was likely no transit, but I marked one because it seemed like the system decided they ALL had transits and spent no shortage of time trying to post-mortem why it said my marked transit was wrong when it was utterly indistinguishable from what it labelled a transit.

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Galaxxis
The Regency
The Monarchy
#33 - 2017-07-12 01:36:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Galaxxis
Valera Schwert wrote:

Most likely marked as two separate transiting planets in a 2:1 mean-motion resonance due to the different transit depths. To make this particular pattern they would have to be transiting at the same time, which is a little odd but not impossible.

Actually I'm looking at this again, and I'm bothered by the fact that the transits are not only apparently overlapped, but also the exact same width. That shouldn't happen with two different orbits; the outer orbit should have a longer transit duration. And no, co-orbital
planets aren't really a thing. I'm not convinced that their analysis of this light curve is correct.

I guess it could also be an eclipsing binary, but it seems pretty shallow for that.
Tavin Aikisen
Phoenix Naval Operations
Phoenix Naval Systems
#34 - 2017-07-12 02:41:33 UTC
Tutorial tells me to click on spikes. I click on spike and submit. Apparently it was smaller spikes inbetween the bigger spikes on a flat line that are the "spikes"....

Seriously this is the most incoherent game mechanic I've ever known in recent times... I'll just spam "no transit" until I hit rank 250 or quit...

"Remember this. Trust your eyes, you will kill each other. Trust your veins, you can all go home."

-Cold Wind

Vanessa Celtis
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2017-07-12 02:44:27 UTC
Tavin Aikisen wrote:
Tutorial tells me to click on spikes. I click on spike and submit. Apparently it was smaller spikes inbetween the bigger spikes on a flat line that are the "spikes"....

Seriously this is the most incoherent game mechanic I've ever known in recent times... I'll just spam "no transit" until I hit rank 250 or quit...

Bump!
Shallanna Yassavi
qwertz corp
#36 - 2017-07-12 03:39:32 UTC
Vanessa Celtis wrote:
Valera Schwert wrote:

Because the red was a SECOND pattern / planet; you need to double click when validating to have in this case *two* patterns selected and then only submit.

It looks like the same pattern to me. The planet looks like it crossed the star twice as often as she thought it did.

A signature :o

Sarrian Calda
Perkone
Caldari State
#37 - 2017-07-12 04:40:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Sarrian Calda
Matthias Ancaladron wrote:

May I know where you got this info about the broken state of the game and that they are resetting it from?

And, I have my share of problem with identifying the transits too.

http://imgur.com/a/TkSkp
Spc One
The Chodak
Void Alliance
#38 - 2017-07-12 10:21:52 UTC
I have no idea what i am doing, even in tutorial i fail all the time.
Cara LeCroix
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#39 - 2017-07-12 11:26:44 UTC
It's not that hard

I like the game fwiw, some of the slides are hard, but most of them are really easy.
Kumwamato
Perkone
Caldari State
#40 - 2017-07-12 11:35:07 UTC