These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
2 Pages12Next page
 

STAR WARS 8: The Last Jedi Trailer (2017)

First post First post
Author
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2017-04-14 19:13:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Veine Miromme
#2 - 2017-04-19 18:12:27 UTC


CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

#3 - 2017-04-20 06:41:38 UTC

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode

Senior Lead

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

Gallente Federation
#4 - 2017-04-21 21:18:58 UTC


40 Years of Star Wars Panel | Star Wars Celebration Orlando 2017 (US)
Streamed live on Apr 13, 2017

Ship Type : Out of pod (for now)

Zulu People
#5 - 2017-04-23 22:56:06 UTC
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2017-04-24 00:03:51 UTC
LordOdysseus wrote:
I especially loved the Thor 3 trailer. Thanks for making us aware of these trailers. Smile

I only found out that there was a 40 years celebration right around my 10th birthdate after I saw the trailer.

If you notice, the link is not the original but a media reference instead.

The Thor 3 trailer happened to come 1 day or so so before (if not 2 or 3 days).

There was in fact a lot of 40 years celebration for over 4 days or so, which I had no idea about.


What else is new? Speculation as to who is Anakin Skywalker's father and the related midi-chlorian counts and even speculation as to who it could be when in fact it probably is not.
According to those records, which I will not link here at this time, the midi-chlorian count of Anakin Skywalker is generalized down to some 60% +/-10%, and there can only be one.
(hint: it's also not confirmed yet, so I won't spoil it.)

Ship Type : Out of pod (for now)

#7 - 2017-04-24 00:31:39 UTC
I hope they leave the dicotomy light/darkness jedi/sith (western) and go for an integrate view of the force (eastern) something like the Tao and Yin Yang.

Join Project Transcendence.

Applied technology for the enhancement of human experience.

Gallente Federation
#8 - 2017-04-24 02:07:30 UTC
Morgana Tsukiyo wrote:
I hope they leave the dicotomy light/darkness jedi/sith (western) and go for an integrate view of the force (eastern) something like the Tao and Yin Yang.


There is a gray Jedi introduced in the movie from the Universe (Star Wars Universe) , but there is more to it.
I also cannot verify it at this time as I tried to verify info on Thrawn and my computer was stalled to death.
Also, consider that perception is a psychological concept in itself, and you can see the psychological warfare in Star Wars, as it's what it's about.

Ship Type : Out of pod (for now)

#9 - 2017-04-24 02:09:48 UTC
I didn´t even called it a grey jedi because the reference is still a jedi. I prefere "force user". For some situations suggestion is needed, for others, lighting on their faces (now melting).

Join Project Transcendence.

Applied technology for the enhancement of human experience.

Gallente Federation
#10 - 2017-04-24 03:50:52 UTC
Morgana Tsukiyo wrote:
I didn´t even called it a grey jedi because the reference is still a jedi. I prefere "force user". For some situations suggestion is needed, for others, lighting on their faces (now melting).


We Already Know How Star Wars Episode 9 Ends - Star Wars Theory Explained [Dash Star]
Published on Feb 4, 2017 , I saw this video 2 months ago before knowing about the new Episode 8 release date.

Ship Type : Out of pod (for now)

Endless Black Ocean Spiritual Society
#11 - 2017-04-24 05:14:58 UTC
Morgana Tsukiyo wrote:
I hope they leave the dicotomy light/darkness jedi/sith (western) and go for an integrate view of the force (eastern) something like the Tao and Yin Yang.


George did already though. That's a false dichotomy and is a reference to perception. Vader WAS the chosen one, he wiped out both the Sith and Jedi Orders and his twins became the "new two".

I only post here if EvE is offline. Which means my posts are never well timed.

EAT KRABSAK.

Gallente Federation
#12 - 2017-04-24 15:05:34 UTC
Cybertherion wrote:
Morgana Tsukiyo wrote:
I hope they leave the dicotomy light/darkness jedi/sith (western) and go for an integrate view of the force (eastern) something like the Tao and Yin Yang.


George did already though. That's a false dichotomy and is a reference to perception. Vader WAS the chosen one, he wiped out both the Sith and Jedi Orders and his twins became the "new two".


Midichlorian Count List for (some of) the major Star Wars characters


Everything Palpatine REALLY Did When He Killed Plagueis - Star Wars Explained


Palpatine Talks About Darth Plagueis [1080p]



Snoke is Gallius Rax From Jakku - Star Wars Episode 8 The Last Jedi



Palpatine Reveals Himself - Revenge of the Sith [1080p HD]


Star Wars Opera Scene Dark Forces


Revenge of the Sith Deleted Scene 4 - Confronting The Chancellor


Film Theory: Padme's Murder SOLVED!! - Star Wars Episode 3 [Dash Star]


The Birth Of Leia & Luke & The Death Of Padme [1080p]



Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith - Anakin transforms into Darth Vader


In Star Wars Galaxies, you could not be a neutral Jedi, you had to be either one or the other, although you could switch side, somehow, but I have never tried it yet.
I think I was like level 5 out of some 60 or 90 levels, so even before becoming an apprentice.

Ship Type : Out of pod (for now)

Gallente Federation
#13 - 2017-04-24 15:32:31 UTC

George Lucas and his original vision for Star Wars

The secret, ultimately, which is the bottom line in Star Wars
and the other movies is
there are two kinds of people in the world,
compassionate people and selfish people.

Selfish people live on the dark side.
The compassionate people live on the light side.
(Like a child story to explain them the difference between right and wrong.)

If you go to the side of the light,
you will be happy because compassion,
helping other people, not thinking about yourself
thinking about others, that gives you a joy
that you cannot get any other way.

Being selfish, following your pleasures (by definition, non-stoic),
always entertaining yourself with pleasure (as if he talked about his own entertainment work, and, in some way, it most certainly does, in fact)
and buying things and doing stuff,
you're always going to be unhappy.

You'll never get to the point...

You'll get this little instant shot of pleasure,
but it goes away
and then you're stuck where you were before.
(Especially if you don't know how to transfer skills from what you learn, or if you can't use your findings for investigation purposes because someone else interferes against it or even tries to interfere against it.)

(And...)
The more you do it, the worse it gets.

You finally get everything you want and you're miserable
because there's no, there's nothing at the end of that road,
whereas if you are compassionate
and you get to the end of the road,
you've helped so many people.

The Chosen One prophecy
A Jedi will come
To destroy the Sith
And bring balance to the Force.
(Fabricated)

[To 5:26]

...
But someone would have had to study moral virtues and vices for inventory purposes to find this out before.
It's not a given to those who did not, and they most likely would not or could not understand otherwise...


It's also funny he refers to road as my father worked on Road network for a very long time and retired from it too.

Ship Type : Out of pod (for now)

Endless Black Ocean Spiritual Society
#14 - 2017-04-25 01:39:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Cybertherion
I've not been interested enough to follow anything other than the 7 films, so I can't comment on Clone Wars/Rebels/Legends malarky. I will however say this:

If you listen to George's interviews long enough, you realise he changes his mind about things. A LOT.

Given he's both heavily influenced by and friends with Joseph Campbell, I tend to value my own interpretation rather than listen to the exceptionally dry statements of Mr Lucas.

I think the true joy of SW is how it speaks to people individually. A slew of authors got rich writing books on the Buddhism or Christianity (or whatever) of Star Wars. While there are indeed a HUGE amount of dualistic references (the synthetic hands of the Skywalker lads, the 011 on the stormtrooper's backs) one only needs to study western mysticism for a short time to find ambiguity there too, eg both the Christ and Lucifer being referred to as the morning star.

SW walks a tightrope between being highly entertaining kids flicks and a deeply woven mythological fable. Similar to EvE, you get out of it what you see in it, and this is the real value of any kind of investment. After all, there were NO purple lightsabers until Samuel L wore poor old George out.

I only post here if EvE is offline. Which means my posts are never well timed.

EAT KRABSAK.

Gallente Federation
#15 - 2017-04-25 07:53:59 UTC
Cybertherion wrote:
I've not been interested enough to follow anything other than the 7 films, so I can't comment on Clone Wars/Rebels/Legends malarky. I will however say this:

If you listen to George's interviews long enough, you realise he changes his mind about things. A LOT.

Given he's both heavily influenced by and friends with Joseph Campbell, I tend to value my own interpretation rather than listen to the exceptionally dry statements of Mr Lucas.

I think the true joy of SW is how it speaks to people individually. A slew of authors got rich writing books on the Buddhism or Christianity (or whatever) of Star Wars. While there are indeed a HUGE amount of dualistic references (the synthetic hands of the Skywalker lads, the 011 on the stormtrooper's backs) one only needs to study western mysticism for a short time to find ambiguity there too, eg both the Christ and Lucifer being referred to as the morning star.

SW walks a tightrope between being highly entertaining kids flicks and a deeply woven mythological fable. Similar to EvE, you get out of it what you see in it, and this is the real value of any kind of investment. After all, there were NO purple lightsabers until Samuel L wore poor old George out.

Which interviews does George change his mind about things? Or a lot?

I guess the Joseph Campbell you referred to was the one who died in 1987 , but I did not know him.

From what I remember , it started as a Space Opera following adventures written about someone.
Btw, I have never read that other book which was referred before, but it may be different than the story, since it may have been an inspiration to create it.

It's not a coincidence that there is an actual Opera in Space although the term means something else.

There are relation between Atheism and religion as well, and this, for very good reasons.
It is also not new that the courts, who protect the copyrights of the work, also have good reasons to do so,
and that there are bad bashing against the prequels, which balances things out, although this may be pushing it too far.

Regardless, balance is important in all things, as in vices and virtues.

I personally prefer the more scientific aspect of Star Wars, including the droids, not so much due to their personality chip, but rather for their engineering or architecture.
There are many more aspects such as the bio-engineering of the animals, the advanced medical systems, the space ships, and the land transports.

Perhaps I am not so concerned with the morals involved in the movie since I have to live with it my whole life as it's more like a family thing for us.
In fact, even if I joined the French Foreign Legion and changed my name for 5 years, it would still be the same.
And no, it is certainly not mythology, as in, mental health is a myth.

Ship Type : Out of pod (for now)

#16 - 2017-04-25 08:21:46 UTC
Endless Black Ocean Spiritual Society
#17 - 2017-04-25 08:25:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Cybertherion
Much of the stuff you can see online where GL is talking about SW is post "remix" of the original films, him discussing the broader scope he was working on afterward. More well known examples of your question to his alterations (easily found) being:

*Han shot first.
*Mace Windu was the original protagonist character.
*Luke's name was originally Luke Starkiller.
*"Return" was originally titled Revenge of the Jedi.

and later he stated (and I'm paraphrasing):

*"Star Wars is simply the Tragedy of Darth Vader. None of the expanded universe is part of what Star Wars is to me" (this despite him borrowing things from it such as the galactic capital's name)

These four examples show a kind of freestyle film making technique. Lucas obviously had a "Campbellian" vision (read the Hero with a Thousand Faces) but he was also very fluid, re-adapting this vision to broader cultural shifts within society. Han "shooting first" and "Revenge" as a reference to good guy badges isn't very "saint-like".

I personally hate the gawd awful ham-fisted Part I &II (Yippee! CGI!) but III despite being ultra cartoonish was IMO a return to form, and made the whole of Lucas' saga closer to the scope of what he did with THX-1138, a ridiculously underrated film.

I hope the new trilogy doesn't ballz this up, but the fact that Lucasfilm (Disney) scrapped the "legends" hoopla fanbois cling to is an indication they're aware enough of consumer expectations of what the property represents. JJ Abrams has already displayed a metacultural awareness with his prior work, so I have quite a lot of confidence part VIII and IX will be okay enough films as long as some nitwit doesn't show up and say "messa back!"

I only post here if EvE is offline. Which means my posts are never well timed.

EAT KRABSAK.

Gallente Federation
#18 - 2017-04-25 16:50:20 UTC
Cybertherion wrote:
Much of the stuff you can see online where GL is talking about SW is post "remix" of the original films, him discussing the broader scope he was working on afterward. More well known examples of your question to his alterations (easily found) being:

*Han shot first.
*Mace Windu was the original protagonist character.
*Luke's name was originally Luke Starkiller.
*"Return" was originally titled Revenge of the Jedi.

and later he stated (and I'm paraphrasing):

*"Star Wars is simply the Tragedy of Darth Vader. None of the expanded universe is part of what Star Wars is to me" (this despite him borrowing things from it such as the galactic capital's name)

These four examples show a kind of freestyle film making technique. Lucas obviously had a "Campbellian" vision (read the Hero with a Thousand Faces) but he was also very fluid, re-adapting this vision to broader cultural shifts within society. Han "shooting first" and "Revenge" as a reference to good guy badges isn't very "saint-like".

I personally hate the gawd awful ham-fisted Part I &II (Yippee! CGI!) but III despite being ultra cartoonish was IMO a return to form, and made the whole of Lucas' saga closer to the scope of what he did with THX-1138, a ridiculously underrated film.

I hope the new trilogy doesn't ballz this up, but the fact that Lucasfilm (Disney) scrapped the "legends" hoopla fanbois cling to is an indication they're aware enough of consumer expectations of what the property represents. JJ Abrams has already displayed a metacultural awareness with his prior work, so I have quite a lot of confidence part VIII and IX will be okay enough films as long as some nitwit doesn't show up and say "messa back!"

I think the original book from which Star Wars was drawn from was called
The Adventures of Luke Skywalker

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Adventures_of_the_Starkiller,_Episode_I:_The_Star_Wars

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_From_the_Adventures_of_Luke_Skywalker

Han shot first was also raised by fans due to tactical issues, Jabba and so on (consequences, self-defense).

Most of it doesn't work so much with me as I haven't seen the new creation even though I'm offered work in this field of work for movie sets, or labs, for that matter, since 1993+.

However, I plan to analyze this later on, and draw back from my previous 1977 experience to 1983 as I already had an original version of the book (and no, it definitely was never called a New Hope, until Episode 1 or after).
I believe some of the unique thing in my version was the unique cover which was in low print and still was not found again after 20 years+ of research and extremely peculiar legal condition leaving more than a trace of signature .


Where do you draw your notion for "saint-like", just curious?
No offense or not, but it seems to be your own opinion rather than to be based on greater moral issues, caused, factors, facts, conditions, and so on...



I am planning on getting back into Star Wars Galaxies, and I need my SWG CD / DVD to be able to get back in, as the XP system on which the CD and expansions are loaded on is no longer supported by MS (and that means that it would get destroyed if reaching the internet, and yes, that even with VPN, proxy or other added security, like anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-malware and so on).
I will also need to bring my newer desktop from storage for it though, or buy a new one, which may be next Friday, from my paycheck, and get the original CD as it will most likely not function without it anymore.

Ship Type : Out of pod (for now)

#19 - 2017-04-25 23:47:55 UTC
X-Wing vs Tie Fighter

Great game or greatest game? We don´t have anything like it these days =(

Join Project Transcendence.

Applied technology for the enhancement of human experience.

Endless Black Ocean Spiritual Society
#20 - 2017-04-26 00:10:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Cybertherion
Veine Miromme wrote:
Where do you draw your notion for "saint-like", just curious?
No offense or not, but it seems to be your own opinion rather than to be based on greater moral issues, caused, factors, facts, conditions, and so on...


My reference to saintliness is referring to the "good vs evil/dualism" angle, ie; Han was originally more of a badass which doesn't fit in with Mr Lucas' later day statements.

Allow me one more attempt at explaining my point, which essentially is referring to the one raised above about "western dichotomies" vs "eastern philosophies", which is in of itself another "vs" and another dichotomy itself. Naturally, this is in the context of SW and Lucas' evolution as an artist. George later claimed the "good vs evil" angle was his point, "selfish" people being the baddies. Anakin/Vader wasn't really that selfish, he was however overtly attached to his emotions.

Darth (from Da'ath, the hidden 11th Gate of the Sephiroth in Kabbalah) means knowledge / gnosis / wisdom... the recognition of the shadow self. The notion of Skywalker being the chosen one bringing balance to the Force actually HAS to involve removing both the bloated Jedi Order and the Sith, restoring it to a balanced twin power. This of course being the Skywalker children, Leia being the love "attachment" that Luke overcomes once he follows the Way of the Force. We already know Luke's attempt at rebuilding the Jedi Order screwed up the balance, and now his nephew is all Dark and crap. I'm seeing the Yin and Yang pretty aptly demonstrated here. To loop it back to the thread title, it's "time for the Jedi... to end".

Of course, like you said, this is simply my opinion. I'm hardly a SW turbonerd, and only regard parts III, IV and V as good films. I've in the past lectured on comparative mythology in contemporary culture, and am used to the criticism I'm overthinking things from my students (who to paraphrase Yoda: often do not possess "the deepest commitment or a serious mind"). Unfortunately, both thinking and in-depth study of metaphysics are not popular, especially in the context of kids flicks and modern fairy tales.

Take it or leave it. As said, SW is made to be enjoyed any way you want, I'm just crapping on about why I enjoy it.

I only post here if EvE is offline. Which means my posts are never well timed.

EAT KRABSAK.

2 Pages12Next page
Forum Jump