These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

STAR WARS 8: The Last Jedi Trailer (2017)

First post First post
Author
Veine Miromme
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2017-04-26 06:29:26 UTC
Cybertherion wrote:
Veine Miromme wrote:
Where do you draw your notion for "saint-like", just curious?
No offense or not, but it seems to be your own opinion rather than to be based on greater moral issues, caused, factors, facts, conditions, and so on...

My reference to saintliness is referring to the "good vs evil/dualism" angle, ie; Han was originally more of a badass which doesn't fit in with Mr Lucas' later day statements.

Allow me one more attempt at explaining my point, which essentially is referring to the one raised above about "western dichotomies" vs "eastern philosophies", which is in of itself another "vs" and another dichotomy itself. Naturally, this is in the context of SW and Lucas' evolution as an artist. George later claimed the "good vs evil" angle was his point, "selfish" people being the baddies. Anakin/Vader wasn't really that selfish, he was however overtly attached to his emotions.

Darth (from Da'ath, the hidden 11th Gate of the Sephiroth in Kabbalah) means knowledge / gnosis / wisdom... the recognition of the shadow self. The notion of Skywalker being the chosen one bringing balance to the Force actually HAS to involve removing both the bloated Jedi Order and the Sith, restoring it to a balanced twin power. This of course being the Skywalker children, Leia being the love "attachment" that Luke overcomes once he follows the Way of the Force. We already know Luke's attempt at rebuilding the Jedi Order screwed up the balance, and now his nephew is all Dark and crap. I'm seeing the Yin and Yang pretty aptly demonstrated here. To loop it back to the thread title, it's "time for the Jedi... to end".

Of course, like you said, this is simply my opinion. I'm hardly a SW turbonerd, and only regard parts III, IV and V as good films. I've in the past lectured on comparative mythology in contemporary culture, and am used to the criticism I'm overthinking things from my students (who to paraphrase Yoda: often do not possess "the deepest commitment or a serious mind"). Unfortunately, both thinking and in-depth study of metaphysics are not popular, especially in the context of kids flicks and modern fairy tales.

Take it or leave it. As said, SW is made to be enjoyed any way you want, I'm just crapping on about why I enjoy it.

Good point , and at least it doesn't make me feel like if it's a trap that I would be made to be seemed as if getting myself in problem by answering it.

I believe they are making a movie about Han Solo, about which there are a few books, which I believe are set after the Return of the Jedi.
It's not that hard to verify since there is a timeline of those books.

I also read part of the book on the Millenium Falcon which starts before the assembly line part and it is quite peculiar indeed.

I will add that Han Solo was literally a smuggler and there there existed a smuggler's alliance in the Rebel Organization.
Han Solo was far from being a neutral smuggler character in the sense that he was aligned with the Rebels.

There were smugglers working for the Empire at that time.

Smugglers are not known for being saints in any way, whether they worked for the Empire, Sith, or the Rebels, or Jedi.
They are masters of conniving, card tricks and so on.
In fact, that is likely how Han Solo won the Falcon from Lando, who was likely a spy.

In any events, revenge and retribution are similar concepts.
This was following the Empire Strikes back, as in the sense of a military strike which was done back against the Rebels who were rebelling against the Empire.
So the Revenge of the Jedi would be something related to this Empire making a retaliatory strike back against the Rebels.

Notice here that, a Strike back or military retaliation is a way to generate war as it is potentially a war crime no matter how it is disguised.
They were not referring to legal pre-emptive strikes or any other concepts.
Simply, legislate or justify potentially illegal military retaliation against a Rebel body or organization which were made to be seen as an illegal organization although they were legally against the Tiranny of the Empire.

As for your opinion, everyone has a right to an opinion.
However, I was wondering what branches your notions may have been related to if any.
So, I thank you for the information you provided me in regards to the hidden 11th Gate of the Sephiroth in Kabbalah,
and will let you know that I had to study about the gnosis function of the brain due to study in self-control (the other part being the more practical motor skills part, also useful in physical activity or for agility).

I also read about his name being related to German root. Many Sith also have that Darth term or title applied.
Darth Vader was a miracle of medicine and still is today, I mean, no-one goes around like that in his condition.
His insurance company was the Sith and Darth Sidious, or Palpatine's Imperial Shuttle , being related to it.
Hmm , so yeah, the bad guys also had good parts, but , made a point to use bad parts to stay in control, which got them in trouble. They also actively gained powers from it (in the fictitious story, with parallels or metaphors to real life).

Ship Type : Out of pod (for now)

Cybertherion
Sani Sabik Blood Bank
#22 - 2017-04-26 07:25:38 UTC
Believe me, your post was the largest peace of non-movie SW related information I've ever bothered reading! Interesting thing, your studies in self control and agility too. I'm a martial artist by profession, - a "body nerd" as some say - but that's another topic.

Send your love to poor Garry Fisher on May the 4th, he must feel lonely.

I only post here if EvE is offline. Which means my posts are never well timed.

EAT KRABSAK.

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#23 - 2017-04-30 21:21:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Herzog Wolfhammer
I don't know.

Finally saw Rogue One while on a long flight and thought "Hmmm this might have rescued the franchise from itself".

I saw episode 4, just Star Wars then, in the theaters when it came out. It was not some kids' movie. I was a kid then. It didn't need to be a kids' movie.

Then came episodes 1, 2 and 3, and "wunderkind" Anakin, and Jar Jar, and Lucas' sick use of real world stereotypes in metaphor mode that was too ridiculously transparent to tolerate. If Tolkien had risen from his grace as a revenant and skinned Lucas alive for it, it would have been well deserved.

They took epic pulp style space opera (see Geek Gab youtube channel on the subject of pulp versus hard sci fi) and wrecked it with that all children are special snowflake ism and tried to make the first episodes kids' movies which was never ever necessary for the genre.

And episode 7 carried the torch with more wunderkind: someone with no training having superhuman fighting skills. Oh and a Darth Vader wannabee who can't control his temper who somehow ends up with some kind of agency? In every basement dwelling millenial's fantasy. But not in our fantasy movies please. SpongeBob is more feasible.

Which never happens. Ever. This has always been the thing about Eve that people liked: no matter how bling your boat and no matter how good you are, you don't always win and if you survive an unfair fight (which is fair) it's only because the opposing force made a bigger mistake than you did.

So with a jaundiced eye I look at this trailer for episode 8 and wonder if we'll get stuck with a talking robot teddy bear or some enigmatic-ironic-inside-joke meaning that only a drunk hipster could pretend to understand but will be too busy writing pretentious articles on Medium to actually explain it in the way an adult could understand.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Veine Miromme
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2017-05-01 02:41:26 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
I don't know.

Finally saw Rogue One while on a long flight and thought "Hmmm this might have rescued the franchise from itself".

I saw episode 4, just Star Wars then, in the theaters when it came out. It was not some kids' movie. I was a kid then. It didn't need to be a kids' movie.

Then came episodes 1, 2 and 3, and "wunderkind" Anakin, and Jar Jar, and Lucas' sick use of real world stereotypes in metaphor mode that was too ridiculously transparent to tolerate. If Tolkien had risen from his grace as a revenant and skinned Lucas alive for it, it would have been well deserved.

They took epic pulp style space opera (see Geek Gab youtube channel on the subject of pulp versus hard sci fi) and wrecked it with that all children are special snowflake ism and tried to make the first episodes kids' movies which was never ever necessary for the genre.

And episode 7 carried the torch with more wunderkind: someone with no training having superhuman fighting skills. Oh and a Darth Vader wannabee who can't control his temper who somehow ends up with some kind of agency? In every basement dwelling millenial's fantasy. But not in our fantasy movies please. SpongeBob is more feasible.

Which never happens. Ever. This has always been the thing about Eve that people liked: no matter how bling your boat and no matter how good you are, you don't always win and if you survive an unfair fight (which is fair) it's only because the opposing force made a bigger mistake than you did.

So with a jaundiced eye I look at this trailer for episode 8 and wonder if we'll get stuck with a talking robot teddy bear or some enigmatic-ironic-inside-joke meaning that only a drunk hipster could pretend to understand but will be too busy writing pretentious articles on Medium to actually explain it in the way an adult could understand.

What people make it to be "for children" and what should be "for" children can be 2 different things.
In fact, it's more what they want it to be rather than what would be best for them.

However, yes, there are obvious parts designed towards children perception and to influence them, emotionally speaking, and on how the powers that be influence one another.

The dark side and the empire often help the light side and the rebel (or the rebellion) to be as they are, even though they may do it in a way or in ways that seems contrary to their intentions.
The same for the light side and the rebels often trying to influence the dark side to turn good and being in self-defense , therefore leading to many localised conflicts in the grand and greater scheme of things.

In all those times, there are always those who are neutral all along.
The first time that I saw this was in Star Wars Galaxies.
I, in fact, myself, mostly played neutral characters for some reasons that I will explain below, however, most likely not the same reason with the Jedi.
One more factor is that, Jedi could not be neutral, in fact, I believe that after level 5, a Jedi had to decide to be on the dark side or the light side if not earlier than level 5.

So, the thing is that, for neutral characters, they get neutral rewards, including ships, which the 2 others types, light and dark, could not get while in one of the 2 other sides...
Also, neutral characters would not be able to join in the Galactic Civil War, or some other type of battle which also give light or dark rewards.
In fact, those may even have been the same rewards, but only possible to get if not neutral.
I mostly switched my characters to the rebel side, since I only had a level 5 Jedi if any.

Also of note, I had a level 5 or 15 mayor who didn't have much skills due to his low level.
To make matters worst, the last server I played on lost to the dark side / empire.

The system is designed by professions, like, Entertainer, Trader (Engineer, Architect, Weapons and Armor, Domestic), Commando, Smuggler, Officer, Jedi, Bounty Hunter and Spy and so on...
The ship missions are not profession related but rather neutral or light or dark side related.

Anyways, the date of release of the movie is set for
Release: 15 Dec 2017
which I did not see before, so in 8 months.

Veine Miromme
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2017-05-01 02:54:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Veine Miromme
Oh yes, plus as a level 90 Entertainer, I managed to gather over 100 rebel and light sided players to take over bases in the Galactic civil war, which, we won 60% to 75% of, we get the top rewards from, except for one higher level after that one that we won.

We lost a few times, not so much in numbers, but mostly in skills.

I deduced that the dark side / empire had infiltrators in our ranks to analyse our patterns and beat us to it.

http://d20seproject.vanguardcomplex.net/files/galaxymap_2.pdf

http://rudz.dk/download/game-utils/swgmemorybook/

https://www.emuparadise.me/magazine-comic-guide-scans/Star_Wars_Galaxies_The_Complete_Guide_Prima_Official_eGuide/2536

Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#26 - 2017-05-02 19:46:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Eurydia Vespasian
Some people take movies way too seriously....jeez.

I'm a relatively recent Star Wars convert. It was Netflix and The Clone Wars series that did it. Namely, the Ahsoka character. I've seen and become familiar with all the film and television material and even some of the new novels supporting the new canon. Pretty neat stuff a lot of it.

My take on the whole prophecy thing is...when the hell have prophecies ever been correct really? Even in movies they end up not meaning g what people thought they meant and get fulfilled in unexpected ways or altered to fit an outcome. Prophecy is never accurate to how your led to believe it supposed to be.
Previous page12