These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What happened to Fanfest? Its getting so dull

Author
Sagara Mithril
Drunken Beaver Mining
#41 - 2017-04-09 03:52:26 UTC
I think i have watched around 5 fan fest, the whole 3 days complete (each time). And i have to say that this one (2017) was the weakest for me, the keynote and opening was ok but the rest was boring really.

MAYBE, they were saving ideas and preparing for the next one that is the 15th year anniversary for EVE Online
Flamespar
WarRavens
#42 - 2017-04-09 05:55:44 UTC
Nana Skalski wrote:
What did you expect Flamespar, really. I remember you wanted walking in stations (WiS). Does it still linger in your mind? Would you be satisfied by it?

Yes I would

Make it so please.
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
EDENCOM DEFENSIVE INITIATIVE
#43 - 2017-04-09 06:23:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
Flamespar wrote:
Nana Skalski wrote:
What did you expect Flamespar, really. I remember you wanted walking in stations (WiS). Does it still linger in your mind? Would you be satisfied by it?

Yes I would

Make it so please.

I knew it, its stealth "bring WIS" thread. \o/

New exploration suits will be coming. With sidearms, for first time. Looks like that is the best what they can do for us now, beside Nova.
Flamespar
WarRavens
#44 - 2017-04-09 06:34:59 UTC
Nana Skalski wrote:
Flamespar wrote:
Nana Skalski wrote:

Yes I would

Make it so please.

New exploration suits will be coming. With sidearms, for first time. Looks like that is the best what they can do for us now, beside Nova.

I'll be playing Nova instead of EVE ...

I barely play EVE anymore

My disappointment in Fanfest is that it failed to give me any compelling reason to play EVE again.
Eugene Kerner
TunDraGon
Goonswarm Federation
#45 - 2017-04-09 06:53:29 UTC
This years cinematic is a disappointment.
We had representatives there, but lowsec "keynote" offered only the certainty that lowsec has no priority whatsoever for CCP.
Everything is about 0.0.
Still no corpse salvaging and no corpse dressing options via store. SAD

TunDraGon is recruiting! "Also, your boobs [:o] "   CCP Eterne, 2012 "When in doubt...make a diȼk joke." Robin Williams - RIP

Flamespar
WarRavens
#46 - 2017-04-09 07:31:46 UTC
Eugene Kerner wrote:
This years cinematic is a disappointment.
We had representatives there, but lowsec "keynote" offered only the certainty that lowsec has no priority whatsoever for CCP.
Everything is about 0.0.
Still no corpse salvaging and no corpse dressing options via store. SAD

Well there is the Empire based expansion coming .. for which we have no details
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#47 - 2017-04-09 07:57:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Indahmawar Fazmarai
Flamespar wrote:
Nana Skalski wrote:
Flamespar wrote:
Nana Skalski wrote:

Yes I would

Make it so please.

My disappointment in Fanfest is that it failed to give me any compelling reason to play EVE again.

I am one step ahead, since I would have feel distressed if Fanfest had given reasons to reconsider EVE. Thus the meh song I posted as TL;DR of the Keynote. Same old same old same old, just keep moving back the goalpost of "stargates" and "new space" to 2016 (no, 2018) (no, 2020) Whenitsdone (TM).

Care to remember the Fanfest trailer for 2014, THREE years ago?

Where's that gate? Where's that ominous menace? Where's the hint at FPS action? Where's anything of it after three years?
Mr Mieyli
Doomheim
#48 - 2017-04-09 08:06:11 UTC
CCP has always been almost paralyzed by the complexity of their own game, and trying to avoid unintended consequences whereby the balance of power shifts too much. Wormholes worked as an expansions because they added so much, new space, new resources, and new items to build using those. CCP could be brave again and embrace the wishes to go to jove space, and do it properly in a new interesting way with its own resources.

This post brought to you by CCP's alpha forum alt initiative. Playing the eve forums has never come cheaper.

Mina Sebiestar
Minmatar Inner Space Conglomerate
#49 - 2017-04-09 08:19:39 UTC
Quote:
Where's that gate?

Still on a drawing board.

Quote:
Where's that ominous menace?

Every amarrian in skirt is ominous menace.

Quote:
Where's the hint at FPS action?

In dust.

I still wait for another Apocrypha size expansion to happen and that video to become reality require multiple massive expansions plus two whole games sooooo.....nope.

You choke behind a smile a fake behind the fear

Because >>I is too hard

David Therman
#50 - 2017-04-09 11:47:20 UTC
1: As mentioned previously, stuff that could've been shown at fanfest was leaked and/or released as dev blogs shortly beforehand, so that took away a certain element of surprise.

2: Speaking for myself and a few others at least, I've been interested to see what what was happening with Project Nova, the latest reincarnation of Dust. All that was said about that was the dev team being moved from China to Iceland... meh. Just meh.

3: They didn't let their imagination get carried away this time. I still remember this trailer from fanfest 2014, which seemed to herald the ability to build stargates... yet here we are, 3 years later and that idea is still (to my knowledge at least) just a murmur in the wind.

Point 3 being the most prominent in my mind because as people have said, fanfest is (or was) often used as a way of hyping up future ideas and/or updates that may or may not be feasible. I remember looking at a thread a few months ago asking about a video from a previous fanfest which detailed improved ship explosions. This was before they actually went ahead and did it, but the time between the showcase at that fanfest and when it got implemented was in the region of 5 years, give or take. In this day and age (read, self-gratified millennials, oh noes!), people have less patience, which is something CCP might've also considered.

While some people will get excited when something huge gets teased, others will just think "alright, but what does that leave us with in the coming weeks?" Something like a going-over of the T3C changes may not be the most thrilling thing to listen to at fanfest, but for a lot of players it's a big deal.
DrysonBennington
Eagle's Talon's
#51 - 2017-04-09 12:04:15 UTC
Maybe next year have the following events:

Fanfest Boxing - Boxing events that would pit the best fighters from all of the alliances into a three day bracket of fighting for the pride of their alliance. The boxing events would be televised and the top seed teams would receive trophies and possibly cash prizes for sending their fighters.

The boxing would have to be sanctioned though but it would be the first time ever that a gaming corporation hosted boxing at an event.

CCP Yacht racing around Iceland during the summer months.

Of course there would be your very Mayberry kinda folk having pie making contests to get the whole thing started off with a boom.
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
EDENCOM DEFENSIVE INITIATIVE
#52 - 2017-04-09 14:42:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
Did someone noticed? They did not give us anniversary rewards this time! Not even Omega clones got anything.

I want a small space yacht with glass dome where you could see flower garden.
Milla Goodpussy
Garoun Investment Bank
#53 - 2017-04-09 16:00:57 UTC
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
Flamespar wrote:
Nana Skalski wrote:
Flamespar wrote:
Nana Skalski wrote:

Yes I would

Make it so please.

I am one step ahead, since I would have feel distressed if Fanfest had given reasons to reconsider EVE. Thus the meh song I posted as TL;DR of the Keynote. Same old same old same old, just keep moving back the goalpost of "stargates" and "new space" to 2016 (no, 2018) (no, 2020) Whenitsdone (TM).

Where's that gate? Where's that ominous menace? Where's the hint at FPS action? Where's anything of it after three years?

thats exactly my point about this years, they just basically delayed and push back their roadmap just due to the citadels themselves and all kinds of problems with terrible balancing.. honestly one would begin to consider just how much money one should spend on ccp.. i know the fanboys who went there will attempt to deflect the real issues by claiming "friendship is the best spaceship" kind of meta-gaming bullchit.. but the truth is.. this years fanfest was by far very weak and cheap.
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#54 - 2017-04-09 18:08:11 UTC
Nana Skalski wrote:
Did someone noticed? They did not give us anniversary rewards this time! Not even Omega clones got anything.

I want a small space yacht with glass dome where you could see flower garden.

Now that you mention it... Straight

Indahmawar Fazmarai
#55 - 2017-04-09 18:22:03 UTC
Milla Goodpussy wrote:
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
Flamespar wrote:
Nana Skalski wrote:
Flamespar wrote:

Yes I would

Make it so please.

thats exactly my point about this years, they just basically delayed and push back their roadmap just due to the citadels themselves and all kinds of problems with terrible balancing.. honestly one would begin to consider just how much money one should spend on ccp.. i know the fanboys who went there will attempt to deflect the real issues by claiming "friendship is the best spaceship" kind of meta-gaming bullchit.. but the truth is.. this years fanfest was by far very weak and cheap.

The point now is that either you like what CCP is doing with multiplayer content or there's nothing for you in EVE, hasn't been for several years, and won't be in the foreseable future. So it's up to each player to pay for what he/she's getting NOW, rather than keep paying and hoping that "maybe later" CCP will bring some meat to his plate.

If you don't like EVE NOW, stop paying for it. Period. If you're an oldtimer and remember the good old days when CCP talked about doing something for everyone ("the ultimate scifi simulation"), those times are gone. CCP is developing a social MMO with legalised griefing as the ultimate reason to play. And that's all you'll get for your money, now, and tomorrow, and next year, and forever.
Xaar
T.R.I.A.D
Ushra'Khan
#56 - 2017-04-09 19:46:27 UTC
I just came back from FF2017 and this was the 7th time that I went.

I liked:
- the efforts of CCP to enable 2-way communication with the player base (round tables and Q/A in Tranquility)
- Most of the presentations (Opening, Keynote)
- Max
- My Megathron Was Fit With The Following
- The closing ceremony (so well done and super funny)

I think the following needs to be improved:
- printed hardcopy of the schedule
- start earlier on Thursday
- install a professional EVE Store (best articles are out of stock very quickly, increase offering of clothing and other EVE materials)
- allow individual players to PvP - deathmatch

All in all, a great event and I will be back next year ! Well done CCP.
Shadowace Evi
CroGi
#57 - 2017-04-09 20:07:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Shadowace Evi
To be fair the big news drop was prob going to be refineries but CCP decided to drop the info before so people could think about it so they could discuss it with players and what not; however regardless that is all for the "winter" expansion. What happened to summer? Is eve only going to be getting 1 real release a year now? Dont get be wrong the new sun and graphics updates are amazing but its not content it doesn't give us a reason to keep giving CCP our money. What makes this all worse is the fact on the previous o7 shows and what not when asked whats going to happen this year they were so tight lipped about it all like they had something amazing up their sleeve. Even the whole space aids thing turned out to be disappointing as well, they hyped that thing up to hell and back and it turned it to be nothing.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#58 - 2017-04-09 20:22:49 UTC
I usually put the EVE Fanfest videos up on my YouTube channel in their entirety (thank you again for your generous YouTube policies CCP) so that people that prefer to view it organized by event can view them earlier than on CCP's channel.

I will admit, however, that this year I got a bit selective in which events I am covering. I chose the best, most informative presentations and put them in this playlist.

EVE Online Fanfest 2017 Playlist

It's a subjective list of 5 main presentations, and a few related trailers and sidecuts.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
Aideron Robotics.
#59 - 2017-04-10 09:09:46 UTC
funny how the people that attended the FF thinks it was awesome/great while those that didn't thinks it's boring. Roll

Just Add Water

March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#60 - 2017-04-10 09:21:12 UTC
Nat Silverguard wrote:
funny how the people that attended the FF thinks it was awesome/great while those that didn't thinks it's boring. Roll

It's understandable:
1) Some people said they are going to FanFest to "meet friends"
2) You only can see on stream what CCP was doing and providing
3) You see not 100% of even what CCP was providing

So if you look at Fanfest as "Event to meet friends and have pub crawl with devs" then this Fanfest might have great success.
But if you look at Fanfest as event organized and provided by CCP for their players then it was not so successful:
- Fanfest is pretty expensive event for many (I, for example, having pretty good salary, do not consider it worth the money)
- Fanfest has limit of players to attend
=> CCP should have tried to make it more interesting to watch online. And they did not succeed with it.

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"