These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What happened to Fanfest? Its getting so dull

Author
Esnaelc Sin'led
Lonesome Capsuleer
#21 - 2017-04-07 07:56:25 UTC
Very disappointed as well with this year Keynote.

It was emplty, complete void, nothing.
Only promesses and visions of what could be Eve in 5 or 10 years from now.

And this "conquering the universe" promesse that makes no sense on a game that has 14 years old, thousands of solar systems that has already been conquered and a dropping player base at worst, constant at best.

- Artificial Intelligence is very heavy to create and expensive, we won't have high quality AI anytime soon.
- "Reinforced Sandbox", no sense, see above, unless you create more Solar System (player base dropping would be even more spread out), or wipe the entire 0.0 space (which will never happen because : whinings).
- Enhanced graphics, or even rebuilding it entirely judging by the concept arts.

They could've made some awsome designs for the Blood Raider Capitals, just like the Cruor and Ashimuu, but, erm.. *lazy*, better work on "how to harvest more money from dropping player base" with skins, plex rebuild, free 2 play content, etc...

And this Stargate Player Made thinggy that is turning year after year into an exact copy of that Captain's Quarter door that will never be open-able...

And the top of the top was that "WE DID IT" thing about atmospheric travel through Valkyrie...
I bet once NOVA is released in 5 years, they will tell us "WE DID IT" about that door, finnaly opening...

*sigh*
xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
#22 - 2017-04-07 07:59:02 UTC
Drago Shouna wrote:
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:
Drago Shouna wrote:
I have to admit that there was nothing in there that "grabbed" me.

Mostly stuff that we already knew about and self congratulatory waffle.

As for the new trailer, I'm not convinced it'll attract any players.

Don't get me going about the permaband song either ;/

so the new NPC content they spoke about but didn't go into detail on yet, isn't new or something you didnt't know about? Roll

Try reading.."mostly"

seen that, i guess you're not excited about it so. aren't all keynotes like this, some new stuff and updates on what ifs and maybes filled with lots of back slapping, it's a celebration for the devs also.

Flamespar
WarRavens
#23 - 2017-04-07 07:59:22 UTC
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:
Flamespar wrote:
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:
Flamespar wrote:
What's going on?

Fanfest used to be a really exciting event where you'd go learn more about where EVE is heading, discover exciting things to look forward to, and basically reaffirm your reasons why you love this game and are hear for the long term.

I just watched the "EVE" Keynote, which was basically Hilmar going VR! VR! VR!, followed by Devs more or less telling us what we already know about whats coming for EVE.

I got bored and stopped watching.

you at fanfest?

No.

But I was thinking about going this year. But didn't have the spare cash.

that's a shame, pity they don't stream the 95% of fanfest you'll never get to see and experience unless you 've been there.

boring,,, far from it.

it's all about the people you'll meet while there, the friendships you create with your enemies in game.
the insight of listening to players giving their first hand account of many many many battles that have been fought.
they funny moments, the laughs, the tears (EVE monument remembering the fallen) truly feeling part of something much bigger than just a game, it's very different when you're there.

To be fair I can meet people at the local pub and it won't cost me as much

Though I do like that top shelf whiskey

Plex4Booze?
Gregorius Goldstein
Queens of the Drone Age
#24 - 2017-04-07 08:43:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Gregorius Goldstein
If 3D glasses will be the future of gaming then the 90's Magic Eye books had been the future of reading Big smile
Obsidian Blacke
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#25 - 2017-04-08 01:37:16 UTC
Flamespar wrote:
What's going on?

Fanfest used to be a really exciting event where you'd go learn more about where EVE is heading, discover exciting things to look forward to, and basically reaffirm your reasons why you love this game and are hear for the long term.

I just watched the "EVE" Keynote, which was basically Hilmar going VR! VR! VR!, followed by Devs more or less telling us what we already know about whats coming for EVE.

You probably should have read the dev blogs where they specifically stated they had decided to release information about upcoming changes before Fanfest as opposed to at Fanfest in order to get feedback from the community.
Mr Mieyli
Doomheim
#26 - 2017-04-08 02:10:59 UTC
Eve is dying thread ?

This post brought to you by CCP's alpha forum alt initiative. Playing the eve forums has never come cheaper.

Shiloh Templeton
Cheyenne HET Co
#27 - 2017-04-08 03:22:41 UTC
Mr Mieyli wrote:
Eve is dying thread ?
I think it's more like, "How long is Eve going to be in spit-shining mode?"

There was a time when Fanfest introduced new avenues of gameplay like Wormholes and Faction Warfare. Those must have been good times.

Matthias Ancaladron
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#28 - 2017-04-08 05:52:11 UTC
Its just a crony rich boy party for the one percent. If I could afford to fly to iceland on a whim every summer for a week I wouldn't be an alpha or playing on a dingy laptop with no internet (and a currently fried HDD so I can't even play anyway)
I'd be able to afford a real PC and go out and do things in my free time not sit alone at home by myself grinding isk.
If you're going to have a festival it should represent all players not the rich elites to go on some tour and be given free overpowered ships.
Matthias Ancaladron
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#29 - 2017-04-08 05:54:32 UTC
Obsidian Blacke wrote:
Flamespar wrote:
What's going on?

You probably should have read the dev blogs where they specifically stated they had decided to release information about upcoming changes before Fanfest as opposed to at Fanfest in order to get feedback from the community.

Lol since when does CCP listen to feedback?
No one wants the plex vault yet it's still there. No one wanted a new aura voice but there she is. Well... muted for 99% of people but still there technically.
xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
#30 - 2017-04-08 06:37:27 UTC
Matthias Ancaladron wrote:
Its just a crony rich boy party for the one percent. If I could afford to fly to iceland on a whim every summer for a week I wouldn't be an alpha or playing on a dingy laptop with no internet (and a currently fried HDD so I can't even play anyway)
I'd be able to afford a real PC and go out and do things in my free time not sit alone at home by myself grinding isk.
If you're going to have a festival it should represent all players not the rich elites to go on some tour and be given free overpowered ships.

nice attitude Roll you're fecking wrong. I'm not rich, nor is a lot of guys i went to fanfest with rich, we decided to go and worked hard to be able to go.
you don't need cash to have friends and be out doing things. home alone grinding isk, tell me,, are you in a cave also?
a stone tower with dragons guarding you?

a fanfest that represents all players not just the rich elites,,,,,,,, Shocked how about you feck yourself sideways yea.

the 1%,,, lmfao,,,, you sad little shite.

Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
EDENCOM DEFENSIVE INITIATIVE
#31 - 2017-04-08 07:20:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
What did you expect? Did it not excite you? They had all those things that have to excite you. Maybe you are not excited by it anymore.

Sweet Adamas wrote:
Sausage fest is always boring because of sausage.

Sausage is fine.
March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#32 - 2017-04-08 10:04:30 UTC
Nana Skalski wrote:
... things that have to excite you. Maybe you are not excited by it anymore....

If they HAVE to but cannot then isn't it a failure?
Or maybe these things have to excite some "generic player"? Then you might be right but in this case the problem is that authors of "these things" fail at targeting their auditory.

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Matthias Ancaladron
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#33 - 2017-04-08 10:53:51 UTC
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:
Matthias Ancaladron wrote:

nice attitude Roll you're fecking wrong. I'm not rich, nor is a lot of guys i went to fanfest with rich, we decided to go and worked hard to be able to go.
you don't need cash to have friends and be out doing things. home alone grinding isk, tell me,, are you in a cave also?
a stone tower with dragons guarding you?

a fanfest that represents all players not just the rich elites,,,,,,,, Shocked how about you feck yourself sideways yea.

the 1%,,, lmfao,,,, you sad little shite.

Well technically it's limestone and a wyrm since it doesn't have legs.
Technically.
Teros Hakomairos
Doomheim
#34 - 2017-04-08 11:43:33 UTC
It's FTP...the quality goes down the pit :-)
Reiisha
#35 - 2017-04-08 11:55:11 UTC
Obsidian Blacke wrote:
Flamespar wrote:
What's going on?

The stuff they announced in those blogs was well-known beforehand as well.

The problem is that ever since Incarna CCP has been so, so afraid to do anything but release very small, incremental steps to already existing systems.

Back then they tried to make a new "jesus feature" for every patch, but now they completely stopped adding any new features, really. A balance needs to be found to keep the game moving forward *and* keep people excited over it.

Other games are being made in shorter time by smaller development teams, but with more features and more rapid development. Elite is a prime example of this. I wouldn't be surprised if that game will overtake EVE in many aspects very soon - Despite the apples vs oranges thing going on, you can see my point i think.

If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all...

Ix Method
Doomheim
#36 - 2017-04-08 12:15:48 UTC
Orin Solette wrote:
Yeah. I sure hope VR doesn't overshadow EVE Online development.

Are you still living in 2011 or something?

Travelling at the speed of love.

Indahmawar Fazmarai
#37 - 2017-04-08 13:33:26 UTC
Reiisha wrote:
Obsidian Blacke wrote:
Flamespar wrote:
What's going on?

The stuff they announced in those blogs was well-known beforehand as well.

The problem is that ever since Incarna CCP has been so, so afraid to do anything but release very small, incremental steps to already existing systems.

Back then they tried to make a new "jesus feature" for every patch, but now they completely stopped adding any new features, really. A balance needs to be found to keep the game moving forward *and* keep people excited over it.

Other games are being made in shorter time by smaller development teams, but with more features and more rapid development. Elite is a prime example of this. I wouldn't be surprised if that game will overtake EVE in many aspects very soon - Despite the apples vs oranges thing going on, you can see my point i think.

E:D is a better game for what used to be 62% fo EVE players. And since CCP just gave up that demographic, which in turn is a larger share of what's left of the MMO market, it is not strange that Elite and Frontier are larger than EVE and CCP ever have been. E:D for PCs earned more money on its first year (FY 2015) than CCP in 2013, their best year from revenue, and now E:D is playable on Xbox and soon will be available for PS4. All with the same ruthless efficiency with which whatever Frontier releases, it is complete, it is bugless and is enjoyable from day 1.
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
EDENCOM DEFENSIVE INITIATIVE
#38 - 2017-04-08 13:55:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
What did you expect Flamespar, really. I remember you wanted walking in stations (WiS). Does it still linger in your mind? Would you be satisfied by it?
Milla Goodpussy
Garoun Investment Bank
#39 - 2017-04-09 01:15:01 UTC
i think we all expected far more detail as to their plans which we've been working towards for the past 3 yrs of the 3yr roadmap we've been on.. it seems as if they've pushed back from that roadmap although they've surely made strides to get to where we are now...

also ive noticed a small lacking detail when it comes to the refineries service module..

reactions....

what about alchemy?? seems he forgot about that..

ijs..
Sir BloodArgon Aulmais
The Bannermen
The Initiative.
#40 - 2017-04-09 02:18:29 UTC
My lord what a bunch of sour, whiny grapes we have here.

Iv never been but I enjoy watching fanfest. Like others have said, its the times off camera that make it great. And the new updates that are coming should make things very interesting.

This is at best, another eve-is-dying thread. All the "points" you sourpuss's made sound like they're from someone who doesn't play eve and doesn't wanna play and didn't want that ship anyway.

If the game is so bad just quit. Biomass and quit. The rest of us will keep having fun.