These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

How many more players must we lose to bullying

First post
Author
Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#861 - 2017-04-04 14:49:59 UTC
Galaxy Pig wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:
Thanks for confirming it but it was already confirmed and admitted too. The lobbying by gankes that is...

Seeing as how I first heard of this issue, and only ever hear about this issue from your blubbering, I'm not so sure I'm qualified to confirm it.

It was probably the same goon who pays for our gank ships.
Mr Mieyli
Doomheim
#862 - 2017-04-04 14:50:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Mieyli
Sasha Nemtsov wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

Your unhappiness (and I don't care if you don't like that word)

Well, I suppose it's less provocative than 'butthurt', though you're wise to tread gently when upbraiding the carebears - you never know whether or not you're dealing with a knife-wielding maniac in a fail-fit Mackinaw...

Less provocative yet still wrong. I have a life outside eve that I enjoy, and I've had many fun experiences here. I've only been ganked once years ago myself, I didn't care about the loss I was too lazy while moving home stations. I see plenty of people though either post 'I'm quitting' threads or be told 'eve is not for you go play something else', I can see this isn't good for business but I guess there's no way to convince you it's not self interest. I posted here trying to encourage a more sensible discussion about changes to highsec or wardecs, that would make everyone happy. I believe it could be done.

This post brought to you by CCP's alpha forum alt initiative. Playing the eve forums has never come cheaper.

Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#863 - 2017-04-04 14:56:50 UTC
Mr Mieyli wrote:
Sasha Nemtsov wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

Your unhappiness (and I don't care if you don't like that word)

Well, I suppose it's less provocative than 'butthurt', though you're wise to tread gently when upbraiding the carebears - you never know whether or not you're dealing with a knife-wielding maniac in a fail-fit Mackinaw...

Less provocative yet still wrong. I have a life outside eve that I enjoy, and I've had many fun experiences here. I've only been ganked once years ago myself, I didn't care about the loss I was too lazy while moving home stations. I see plenty of people though either post 'I'm quitting' threads or be told 'eve is not for you go play something else', I can see this isn't good for business but I guess there's no way to convince you it's not self interest. I posted here trying to encourage a more sensible discussion about changes to highsec or wardecs, that would make everyone happy. I believe it could be done.

CCP looked into the matter and found that it actually does not hurt their business.

Also who do you want to fool here? You are not concerned about CCPs wallet or how other players could not enjoy the game. You want parts of the game changed because YOU have a problem with them. Stop pretending to talk for the silent majority.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#864 - 2017-04-04 14:58:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
Mr Mieyli wrote:
so why not push for changes id like to see.

No one said you can't. Some of us are point out how wrong, selfish, short-sighted and self defeating those changes would be. CCP itself set a course5-6 years ago along the path to mainstreaming and easier access and more safety and it measurably hurt the game.

The game I started playing in 2007 was in some ways inferior to the game we have to do, but it was also harder, harsher and thus more rewarding. That game had a crappy almost non-existent NPE and a UI some complicated that it made deciphering hieroglyphics look easy.

And that game grew when most MMOs closed down before the 3 year mark. You want EVE to be more like those failed games (that "let people relax") and less like the game that survived all this time because it keeps you on your toes.. You don't seem to understand that.

You having the right to express an opinion doesn't make that opinion a good one.
Zanar Skwigelf
HIgh Sec Care Bears
Brothers of Tangra
#865 - 2017-04-04 14:58:59 UTC
Mr Mieyli wrote:

Folk have suggested Sisi, well being able to spawn in items cheapens the entire experience. Isn't everything on the test server basically free?

That's the point. You are sooooo close to understanding.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#866 - 2017-04-04 15:01:06 UTC
Mr Mieyli wrote:
I posted here trying to encourage a more sensible discussion about changes to highsec or wardecs, that would make everyone happy. I believe it could be done.

The most unreasonable thing in this thread if your belief that everyone can be happy. You think I and people like me could be happy with a new round of dumbing down of a game I/we love because you just want to 'relax' while playing a video game.

The word for this is "daft".
Mr Mieyli
Doomheim
#867 - 2017-04-04 15:03:30 UTC
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
Also who do you want to fool here? You are not concerned about CCPs wallet or how other players could not enjoy the game. You want parts of the game changed because YOU have a problem with them. Stop pretending to talk for the silent majority.

And you know all this how? You've said nothing against anything I've actually said so far. Just been closed minded by saying I'm some fraud, or my reasons are phony. Everyone speaks out of self interest, I do sincerely believe that ganking in highsec puts off players who have done no pvp themselves. This affects me because these people will not pay CCP money, and accordingly CCPs budget and scope for new features will be limited. I want eve to be all it can be, not limited by some arbitrary decision that player interaction in highsec can only take the form of ganking.

This post brought to you by CCP's alpha forum alt initiative. Playing the eve forums has never come cheaper.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#868 - 2017-04-04 15:05:35 UTC
Zanar Skwigelf wrote:
Mr Mieyli wrote:

Folk have suggested Sisi, well being able to spawn in items cheapens the entire experience. Isn't everything on the test server basically free?

That's the point. You are sooooo close to understanding.

Yea, he's right there at it, but he can't make the leap lol. He doesn't understand that what he's advocating is actually what CCP has done to many of us over the last few years (and not just in high sec). They think they are being nice to us by making things safer, but what they are really doing is taking away that which gives the experience value.

It's ironic, if he wanted what he says he wants he would just play on SiSi where everything being cheap lets you 'relax' and where there are actual policies in place that prevent unwanted pvp intrusion.

but no, if he had his way he'd change the main game (Tranq) for everyone. And he can't understand why people are against him.
Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#869 - 2017-04-04 15:13:17 UTC
Mr Mieyli wrote:
Ima Wreckyou wrote:

And you know all this how? You've said nothing against anything I've actually said so far. Just been closed minded by saying I'm some fraud, or my reasons are phony. Everyone speaks out of self interest, I do sincerely believe that ganking in highsec puts off players who have done no pvp themselves. This affects me because these people will not pay CCP money, and accordingly CCPs budget and scope for new features will be limited. I want eve to be all it can be, not limited by some arbitrary decision that player interaction in highsec can only take the form of ganking.

And you "know" that because of what? Your gut feelings?

CCP actually looked into this and found that the majority of players > 99% do not quit because they lost a ship for whatever reason. So your gut feeling was already proven wrong.

So if you are ACTUALLY concerned about CCPs wallet and other players you should probably concentrate on those 99% and not the < 1%.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#870 - 2017-04-04 15:13:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
Mr Mieyli wrote:
Ima Wreckyou wrote:

I was also waiting for this.

For 10 years I've hard the "moar players" crowd say this. They think that more players mean more money for CCP and that means a better game for them. At it's base it's a selfish desire. But it gets worse because it's also wrong.

I've tried to explain to folks over the years why this is dumb. Historically CCP has used EVe Online revenues to fund other games.. The idea that more people giving CCP more money translates to a better EVE is as foolish as saying "man, if I buy TWO Big Macs, and get all my friends to buy Big Macs, McDonalds will reward us by making better food"!!!!!

Sorry, all you would be accomplishing is raising everyone's cholesterol counts and bring everyone closer to cardiac arrest while lining the pockets of some McDonald's shareholder...
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#871 - 2017-04-04 15:28:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
Mr Mieyli wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Mr Mieyli wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Your fantasies of EVE are only going to land you more confusion, failure, and whining. Right now, you're sitting in a kayak expecting it to be a motorboat and complaining that it needs an engine instead of just picking up the damn paddles and learning how to work with what you have, or just getting out of the boat.

I see it more that I'm sitting in a kayak that could be easily converted to a motorboat and I'm pointing it out.

And you don't see why just getting a motorboat instead isn't the more sensible solution?

If you can point me to a motorboat that looks like the kayak I'm sitting in then I'm all ears. This analogy is off in the trees now though. I'm talking about changes to eve, because eve is what is what exists that is closest to what I want. You say it's whining, I say I can't write a game myself currently, so why not push for changes id like to see.

Because the changes you've suggested so far amount to making EVE into something else, something it's not, which means you want something else, something it's not. If what you want doesn't exist, you always have the option of making it yourself instead of trying to dictate to the artists what their product should be.

EVE isn't flawless, not by a long shot, but no game really is. Every last one begins as someone's vision of what they wanted to see in a game, rather than what someone else wants to see. Which brings me to what I've been trying to tell you all along: this game has existed for almost fifteen years. If the devs wanted to go for mass appeal, don't you think they would have done it by now? Everything you're suggesting, don't you think they've heard it by now? EVE is established. When you come up with ideas to improve EVE, if they don't follow with EVE's established core principles, then you won't just find resistance to them, you'll get a good deal of backlash and disrespect because people see someone who doesn't understand the game asserting that they know how to make it better.

So let's try a new analogy, a simple one. Imagine if someone came into the Halo forums and suggested, "what about instead of guns we use water pistols and nobody actually dies, you just get scored per hit and the team/player with the highest score after the time limit wins." This was actually a real suggestion made on the Halo 4 forums when it launched regarding multiplayer. The person making the suggestion was a parent, new to the halo franchise trying to make the game 'better' for their children. The problem is, there are already games for children, there are already games that suit that person's needs, and Halo is an established M-rated shooter. You can imagine the reaction of course, because it was virtually the same as you're receiving here. The difference is, because halo is such a simple game, that the vast majority of people can understand it just fine, and that person didn't have any agreement or support of any kind. Unfortunately, one of EVE's flaws is that it can be difficult to truly ascertain it's core nature, so a lot more people are going to stand by you as a result of it being a more complicated game. I can try to explain it to you - that at its core it's meant to be about player freedom and player choice, where you are the writer of your own story, and mechanics are designed around that core value of achieving that level of freedom with as few limitations as possible, only compromising on that freedom in reasonably limited ways. But at the end of the day, you really have to experience it for yourself, and the only way to do that is to actually exercise your freedom.

The way I did that was shoot a mining barge in highsec. I failed my gank attempt, but the experience was liberating when I realised that I had the freedom to be as powerful as I wanted to be, and in order to facilitate that freedom, I began learning from my mistakes. Now I have a killboard that most oldschool vets would not shake their head at, despite the fact I've only been playing since 2012 (and only really PVP'ing since late 2013).

The day before I attempted that gank, I was on the forums doing what you're doing now, and getting shut down and not understanding why. As soon as I understood what EVE was, I understood exactly why I got shut down. You stick around long enough, adapt and learn, and you will too.

Exercise your freedom. Because unlike other games that purport to give you 'choices' like Mass Effect, in this game those choices aren't scripted, they aren't illusions, they are real, and they have real in-game consequences, of which even the smallest could have game-wide implications. That's what EVE allows by maintaining its core nature, by maintaining its single-shard player-driven HTFU dog-eat-dog trust nobody environment with no instancing and as little handholding as possible. EVE isn't for everybody, but neither is Halo.

For the record, no, ganking does not put off players. Established research that has already been shared in this thread and many others does not support the idea that ganking is chasing players away, and in fact the experience of many PVP'ers and gankers reports the exact opposite, that when players experience ship loss at the hand of another player, quite often (for me at least) said 'victim' will try to learn how to adapt, and even mail their killer asking what went wrong. In my experience, it's often the newer players who are MOST enthusiastic about learning from their attackers, and it's often the older carebears who have stagnated in highsec without losing anything for far too long who throw hissy fits in local and send rage mails. No, we aren't scaring away new players, we're just making a lot of carebears angry. And that's something we just don't have to care about to any degree.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Mr Mieyli
Doomheim
#872 - 2017-04-04 15:32:16 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Historically CCP has used EVe Online revenues to fund other games.. The idea that more people giving CCP more money translates to a better EVE is as foolish as saying "man, if I buy TWO Big Macs, and get all my friends to buy Big Macs, McDonalds will reward us by making better food"!!!!!

Sorry, all you would be accomplishing is raising everyone's cholesterol counts and bring everyone closer to cardiac arrest while lining the pockets of some McDonald's shareholder...

Blame ccp for that decision, I'd have much preferred the resources went into eve, maybe the Devs care as much as you about the game. It is what it is, the players don't want any different, we'll make new games. Giving a company more money is exactly how it can provide a better service, it's the basis of the economy for Christ sake and I'm the dumb one. Sorry you're such a pessimist, but not everywhere is McDonald's. They feel it's their right to 'bless' you with their presence, that's how they 'give a better service' less travel time, it's an easy route.

Eve could throw away all it's principles and chase every possible customer and I understand that fear, but is what I'm suggesting really throwing away the principles of the game? It's one small area for gods sake, limited heavily, with the deeper parts of space on the horizon if you decide to venture out that way.

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#873 - 2017-04-04 15:35:11 UTC
Dom Arkaral wrote:
Still waiting for that list of AG nerfs Drac

Dom why have you decided that I have to supply you with a list of nerfs?

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#874 - 2017-04-04 15:38:48 UTC
Sasha Nemtsov wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:
I remember just after when CCP realised what they had done they gave the DCU bonus to freighters and you lot cried like mad about another nerf.

Hm, no; I rather think we straightaway put our heads together to figure out a way 'round it, and came up with - bring more DPS!

Of course, Dracvlad, if you can dig out the relevant posts which show members of the New Order or CODE. crying 'like mad', I'll be quite happy to change my stance.

I do check the forums in between bouts of proper work, so I'll be sure to spot your reply.

In the meantime, have a pleasant afternoon (UK); I'm off to make the tea. Anyone?

And that was fair enough, but there was people whining about it on the forums which was kinda annoying, but more like adding it to a list of things while ignoring major buffs and changes in policy that enabled easier ganking. Of course you guys could deal with that and did, I never expected otherwise.

I am a Brit and my favourite drink is breakfast tea, o7

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Dom Arkaral
Bannheim
Cuttlefish Collective
#875 - 2017-04-04 15:39:38 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:
Dom Arkaral wrote:

Because ai know you can't fulfill that task Cool

I'm out

Tear Gatherer. Quebecker. Has no Honer. Salt Harvester.

Broadcast 4 Reps -- YOU ARE NOT ALONE, EVER

Instigator of the First ISD Thunderdome

CCL Loyalist

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#876 - 2017-04-04 15:40:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Dracvlad
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:
What makes an area high risk? Are you seriously telling me that null sec is high risk because of NPC BS or dreads, seriously man you have no idea, no idea at all, no wonder you stay in hisec ganking defenceless ships.

Loot means something to you which is why you lot whined over the freighter wreck EHP, isn't that right...

Maybe we don't speak the same language. Let's try again.

You claimed that the risk/reward is not balanced when people gank freighters.

I tried to explain to you that risk/reward is a metric only useful when trying to balance NPC loot tables and resources. high-, low- and nullsec have different game mechanics when it comes to player interaction. The more people are "protected" by NPC forces, the lower are the rewards they get from NPC loot and resources in the belts.

However if it comes to loot dropped by players, this metric is completely useless because the reward part is entirely dependant on the freighter pilot.

Not sure why this is so hard for you to grasp. But never mind, if you still have trouble just ask again.

But what is the perceived danger in null sec, other players, no you do not speak the same language...

I already told you what the risk component is, but for you I write it again:

high-, low- and nullsec have different game mechanics when it comes to player interaction.

That means CONCORD, Gate guns etc. or their absence. One could count local in as well if it comes to w-space.

I'm positively confident we can show even you how EVE works.

I get the impression that you are arguing with yourself here, keep it up.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#877 - 2017-04-04 15:42:00 UTC
Mr Mieyli wrote:
It's one small area for gods sake, limited heavily, with the deeper parts of space on the horizon if you decide to venture out that way.

And it's wrong. And some of you types think it's a PVE thing.

Well, we shot down a similar PVP idea too. If you want to pvp, do it in the open where people can get at you. Or go to SiSi.

Your idea is bad because it wouldn't work the way you want, you provide ANY safe haven where people can make ANY small amount of isk, or other rewards, and richer, older players WILL find a way to exploit it.

And it would be bad for new players, because coddling them then throwing them into the lions den that E=is EVE is dumb. for the same reaons that tutorials and 'better NPE' didn't help new players stay. It dampens creativity and creativity is vital to EVE.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#878 - 2017-04-04 15:43:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
Mr Mieyli wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Historically CCP has used EVe Online revenues to fund other games.. The idea that more people giving CCP more money translates to a better EVE is as foolish as saying "man, if I buy TWO Big Macs, and get all my friends to buy Big Macs, McDonalds will reward us by making better food"!!!!!

Blame ccp for that decision, I'd have much preferred the resources went into eve, maybe the Devs care as much as you about the game. It is what it is, the players don't want any different, we'll make new games. Giving a company more money is exactly how it can provide a better service, it's the basis of the economy for Christ sake and I'm the dumb one. Sorry you're such a pessimist, but not everywhere is McDonald's. They feel it's their right to 'bless' you with their presence, that's how they 'give a better service' less travel time, it's an easy route.

Eve could throw away all it's principles and chase every possible customer and I understand that fear, but is what I'm suggesting really throwing away the principles of the game? It's one small area for gods sake, limited heavily, with the deeper parts of space on the horizon if you decide to venture out that way.

A safe space in EVE? What's the point of it? I would have no problem with it to be honest, as long as there were a number of restrictions, including but not limited to travel (no cynos, only one way in and out from one system only), weapons (all completely disabled), services (none other than docking), structures (none), income (none - no ratting, no mining, no missions, no exploration, nothing), and player trade (none of any kind). It can be a chat room in space, and that's it, nothing more, because as soon as you give someone a safe space to do anything meaningful in this game, guess where they'll all go? That's why people are against safe spaces in EVE, because any progress you want to make in this game of any kind has to be at the risk of being challenged by other players. THAT IS ITS ENTIRE PREMISE - giving players control of a dynamic socioeconomic spacefaring experience. That's the reason there's only one server with no instancing. It was built that way from the ground up.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#879 - 2017-04-04 15:44:21 UTC
Dom Arkaral wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:
Dom Arkaral wrote:

Because ai know you can't fulfill that task Cool

I'm out

I have in other threads listed all the nerfs and buffs and change in policy, I had an excahnge with Shae on this where I pointed out that a count and saying the number of adjustments matter more than what was adjusted was stupid, which happens to be one of the most liked comments I have done. Do you want to go down that route, I rather like you, but seriously mate I am not going to give that list unless I want to make a point about game balance in terms of ganking to people who are open to debate rather than call names and stuff, or make one liners and stuff like that. I much prefer making dank ISK and am only replying while I salvage...

Mr Mieyli
Doomheim
#880 - 2017-04-04 15:45:33 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Mr Mieyli wrote:
It's one small area for gods sake, limited heavily, with the deeper parts of space on the horizon if you decide to venture out that way.

And it's wrong. And some of you types think it's a PVE thing.

Well, we shot down a similar PVP idea too. If you want to pvp, do it in the open where people can get at you. Or go to SiSi.

Your idea is bad because it wouldn't work the way you want, you provide ANY safe haven where people can make ANY small amount of isk, or other rewards, and richer, older players WILL find a way to exploit it.

And it would be bad for new players, because coddling them then throwing them into the lions den that E=is EVE is dumb. for the same reaons that tutorials and 'better NPE' didn't help new players stay. It dampens creativity and creativity is vital to EVE.

I think it could work, and I think you're going to continue having this discussion until a way to make it work is found. You can talk about creativity all you like but people are not creative if they are not even playing. I believe if the rewards were limited appropriately, it would be clear that the meat of the game was outside that area and people would go there willing to learn from the locals.