These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Skill Discussions

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

EVEMon - The Open Source Character Planner - The Ashilta Era

First post
Author
Evanova Android
Traquenard Labs
The Ancients.
#61 - 2017-01-25 16:38:32 UTC
I totally feel you on that one. Keep up the good work!

Evanova - The Android App for Eve Online

sokkke
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#62 - 2017-01-25 17:28:35 UTC
do you want to turn EVEMon upside down because you like to use C#?

i mean with esi out and a ton of swagger stuff out for the web stack it might be a good idea to just use http://electron.atom.io to build a new client from the ground up. that doesn't rely on static updates so much and just pulls most of the stuff from the new web resources. that should allow you to update less often (next extension/databaseloadout/esi endpoint) and the same codebase could be used for a web service (alliances could run for their members) and a local client everyone can run for themselves on all the platforms (electron compiles for windows/macOS/linux).

if you hate javascript this idea is not for you clearly ;)

good look finding a new job and godspeed what ever route you pick.
Ashilta
Escalated.
Project Gungnir.
#63 - 2017-01-25 18:10:10 UTC
sokkke wrote:
do you want to turn EVEMon upside down because you like to use C#?

i mean with esi out and a ton of swagger stuff out for the web stack it might be a good idea to just use http://electron.atom.io to build a new client from the ground up. that doesn't rely on static updates so much and just pulls most of the stuff from the new web resources. that should allow you to update less often (next extension/databaseloadout/esi endpoint) and the same codebase could be used for a web service (alliances could run for their members) and a local client everyone can run for themselves on all the platforms (electron compiles for windows/macOS/linux).

if you hate javascript this idea is not for you clearly ;)

good look finding a new job and godspeed what ever route you pick.


Hi,

I do like to use C#, but more importantly, EVEMon is already built using C#. It seems like a monumental effort to have to get to gribs with Electron and basically re-write EVEMon from scratch, rather than make use of the existing functionality, the majority of which there is nothing wrong with, and re-factor it to use the new ESI API. The plan is to write the new functionality in such a way that if ever we need to change the API in the future, it'll be a much less impactful change than it currently is.
sokkke
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#64 - 2017-01-25 18:28:16 UTC  |  Edited by: sokkke
Yea, it would be a bigger project i guess. But it's also technology that more people use and could contribute to. Everyone already has a github account so the barrier of entry to fix something small or add something would be very low. i certainly wont setup visual studio just so i can add 3 lines of code somewhere. git cloning a electron app and adding some CSS, HTML and Javascript on the other hand is really easy. And I think esi is setup in a way that you don't have to invest so much into the GUI compared to evemon. I mean https://esi.tech.ccp.is/latest/ already presents a lot information just by being a dumb esi client.

but i don't want to bore you with my dreams ;)

thank you for fixing EVEMon i use it every day.
Ashilta
Escalated.
Project Gungnir.
#65 - 2017-01-25 18:31:32 UTC
EVEMon is already in GitHub...
Aygo Swagtomo
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#66 - 2017-01-25 18:38:03 UTC
Ashilta wrote:
Anyone that flies incursions with The Valhalla Project and uses their waitlist will have a good understanding of what CREST is capable of. The fleet and the waitlist live in a parasitic relationship, in that the waitlist reads data from the fleet in game, and actions performed in the waitlist have an effect in game - when you get a fleet invite for a TVP incursion fleet, that invite was probably generated from their waitlist.


As the developer of the waitlist, I can say that almost every invite sent out comes from the waitlist these days. We do a great deal with CREST and it's served me very well. We also have had to fall back on the XML API for a number of things. I'm less than pleased with the rushed timeline I've heard regarding XML API removal, it means I have to rewrite a not-insignificant amount of code to use ESI despite the fact that i wanted to steer clear of ESI until CCP demonstrates it to have some long term stability in its design. I've been bitten before by CCP and their sudden refactorings.
Ashilta
Escalated.
Project Gungnir.
#67 - 2017-01-25 18:41:21 UTC
Aygo Swagtomo wrote:
As the developer of the waitlist, I can say that almost every invite sent out comes from the waitlist these days.


I know. I'm Mathkrraa.
Ydnari
Estrale Frontiers
#68 - 2017-01-25 23:12:07 UTC
uninstalled

--

Messenger Of Truth
Butlerian Crusade
#69 - 2017-01-26 09:50:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Messenger Of Truth
DaveTheGreat wrote:

I sent you 30 days game time, to help you keep your account going.


Bad news son, you've been scammed.

This Ashita guy has written a lot of morale posts on the forum about EveMon, but if you look at the code he's contributed, its merely 193 lines, most of which is updating version numbers. https://github.com/evemondevteam/evemon/graphs/contributors

Contrast his contribution to JimiC's - 14 million lines. That is 5 orders of magnitude more than this Ashita guy, which also means JimiC is 5 orders of magnitude more deserving of game time!

Code contributions don't lie and Ashilta's are very thin on the ground.

Ashilta may have taken on the mantle of Lead Maintainer with good intentions, but in 3 months he's delivered almost nothing - in fact he's written more lines of text in his morale posts than he has written lines of code for EveMon, and managed to parlay that into game time donations.

Helping out people who are contributing to Open Source or Eve-related software is a noble activity, but make sure that you contribute it to people who are actually writing a lot of code, instead of merely talking a lot about writing code.

I can confidently predict that the 1 month game time you sent his way will have absolutely no impact on the continued development of EveMon - after all, even alpha accounts have access to all of the APIs.

Trade Hub Price Checker: stop.hammerti.me.uk/pricecheck

Visit "Haulers Channel" in game for all matters courier-related.

Structure name/system API: stop.hammerti.me.uk/api

Ashilta
Escalated.
Project Gungnir.
#70 - 2017-01-26 20:14:11 UTC
Messenger Of Truth wrote:
DaveTheGreat wrote:

I sent you 30 days game time, to help you keep your account going.


Bad news son, you've been scammed.

This Ashita guy has written a lot of morale posts on the forum about EveMon, but if you look at the code he's contributed, its merely 193 lines, most of which is updating version numbers. https://github.com/evemondevteam/evemon/graphs/contributors

Contrast his contribution to JimiC's - 14 million lines. That is 3 orders of magnitude more than this Ashita guy, which also means JimiC is 3 orders of magnitude more deserving of game time!

Code contributions don't lie and Ashilta's are very thin on the ground.

Ashilta may have taken on the mantle of Lead Maintainer with good intentions, but in 3 months he's delivered almost nothing - in fact he's written more lines of text in his morale posts than he has written lines of code for EveMon, and managed to parlay that into game time donations.

Helping out people who are contributing to Open Source or Eve-related software is a noble activity, but make sure that you contribute it to people who are actually writing a lot of code, instead of merely talking a lot about writing code.

I can confidently predict that the 1 month game time you sent his way will have absolutely no impact on the continued development of EveMon - after all, even alpha accounts have access to all of the APIs.


OK, so it took a lot to provoke a reaction from me but you're coming pretty close.

You're right. For the reasons I've described, I haven't delivered much in three months. Because the current model and the current API consumption do not work. To come up with a working model takes time, it requires me to read documentation for CREST and ESI, write proof of concepts, plan things and then, once there is a plan that is understood, we can do some work around it. Jimi was the lead developer for a number of years, I've been here for three months and there are huge challenges.

Yes, I haven't delivered much, but don't you dare label me a scammer. I didn't ask the guy to wire me 30 days of game time, I invited people to contribute ISK. I shall make the same invitation here that I made to you on Reddit: contribute.
Messenger Of Truth
Butlerian Crusade
#71 - 2017-01-26 20:53:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Messenger Of Truth
Ashilta wrote:
Yes, I haven't delivered much, but don't you dare label me a scammer. I didn't ask the guy to wire me 30 days of game time, I invited people to contribute ISK.



You've delivered very close to nothing - it takes a lot of gall or an enormous ego to feel that you deserve any ISK at all for that. Let alone giving out an email address for paypal donations on reddit!

Why would anybody submit a patch to EveMon at the moment when you're going to accept 4 pull requests from contributors, put out a release, then beg for ISK/game time/£ on the back of the release which you contributed almost nothing to?

Trade Hub Price Checker: stop.hammerti.me.uk/pricecheck

Visit "Haulers Channel" in game for all matters courier-related.

Structure name/system API: stop.hammerti.me.uk/api

Ashilta
Escalated.
Project Gungnir.
#72 - 2017-01-26 21:01:03 UTC
Messenger Of Truth wrote:
You've delivered very close to nothing - it takes a lot of gall or an enormous ego to feel that you deserve any ISK at all for that. Let alone giving out an email address for paypal donations on reddit!

Why would anybody submit a patch to EveMon at the moment when you're going to accept 4 pull requests from contributors, put out a release, then beg for ISK/game time/£ on the back of the release which you contributed almost nothing to?


Your mind is made up and nothing I say or do will influence your thoughts - I'll spare us both the time and wish you a pleasant day.
Messenger Of Truth
Butlerian Crusade
#73 - 2017-01-26 21:15:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Messenger Of Truth
Contribute 100,000 lines of code to Evemon without any more begging or sob stories and I'll take back every single word I said, maybe even send you some isk. After making a solid contribution to Evemon you'll have every right to ask for donations.

Trade Hub Price Checker: stop.hammerti.me.uk/pricecheck

Visit "Haulers Channel" in game for all matters courier-related.

Structure name/system API: stop.hammerti.me.uk/api

Spacing Cowboy
Circle-0f-Two
Pandemic Horde
#74 - 2017-02-02 04:39:04 UTC
Bug report :

( i am able to reproduce it, so not a "it happened one time it was a case of bad luck" )

As soon as i open eve monitor , my modem shuts down / i lose internet connection.




To fix :

Reset modem , router...


You gents changed something ?




* yes, scanned computer for virus stuff, and no other programs i use ever created this problem.
I was actually very surprised that i discovered the source of internet dying on me a lot.

( ISP says , no we only see that your modem shuts down )





Tobby Jug
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#75 - 2017-02-05 13:36:43 UTC
OK, I'm trying to use evemon to update the market data on eve central without any success, how do I do this as I can find no option to manually update the data on eve central. If I'm correct Ive to look at a specific item on the market whilst evemon is running and that should update the info but so far its not working for me, can anyone help we with this?
Cat Harkness
Twilight Labs
The Serenity Initiative
#76 - 2017-02-06 02:01:39 UTC
Tobby Jug wrote:
OK, I'm trying to use evemon to update the market data on eve central without any success, how do I do this as I can find no option to manually update the data on eve central. If I'm correct Ive to look at a specific item on the market whilst evemon is running and that should update the info but so far its not working for me, can anyone help we with this?


EveMon no longer updates the price data on eve central. Eve Central and Eve-MaketData update their prices using CREST now.

Cat Harkness

CEO

Twilight Labs

Asian Driver
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#77 - 2017-02-16 15:26:03 UTC
I see an issue in regards to contracts and citadels crashing. I am having a problem where I don't even see my contract in evemon. I make contracts for the corp, but there is nothing shown in the window. I just had a notification that said that one contract needed attention, so I know it's working on the backend. I have v3.0.3 and I double checked my api to make sure it has everything. And it's only on this char where it doesn't show anything in the contract window.

Where else can I start looking to see if I'm not patched properly or something silly I missed?
Kaoraku Shayiskhun
The 1st Regiment
Brave Collective
#78 - 2017-02-16 17:47:31 UTC
An exception handle should be released to prevent collaps the program every time it want to list a citadell contract or order....
Violette Tremere
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#79 - 2017-02-19 15:10:21 UTC
Asian Driver wrote:
I see an issue in regards to contracts and citadels crashing. I am having a problem where I don't even see my contract in evemon. I make contracts for the corp, but there is nothing shown in the window. I just had a notification that said that one contract needed attention, so I know it's working on the backend. I have v3.0.3 and I double checked my api to make sure it has everything. And it's only on this char where it doesn't show anything in the contract window.

Where else can I start looking to see if I'm not patched properly or something silly I missed?


That's probably because your contracts are in a citadel. EvEmon can't handle citadels (yet).
Svetlana Moscovich
Hard Knocks Inc.
Hard Knocks Citizens
#80 - 2017-02-26 02:50:35 UTC
I'm probably just reading this whole thing wrong, but I'm getting 3 different times when using the attributes optimizer (see this link).

I have the 'before' time listed at the bottom of the skill planner, then I have a different 'before' in the attributes optimizer. I'm not sure what to believe in that window. Once it's optimized, the changes show me that very same 'before' at the bottom of the skill planner.

Am I doing something wrong here?