These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Macintosh

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Wine support for Mac

First post First post
Author
CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#101 - 2016-03-14 17:28:07 UTC
Ronald Sotken wrote:
Since switching to the wine wrapper I've noticed that sometimes when warping/jumping into a system, the video that is displayed on the billboards will play in full screen. I haven't been able to determine the trigger for this, but it seems to occur when commencing warp, or alt+clicking in space.
I have found no way to remove it without restarting the client.

See the following to get an idea of what I'm talking about,
http://imgur.com/a/NGf94

And here is the screenshots of the billboards displaying the same images,
http://imgur.com/a/wSK2Z

I'm playing on a 2012 macbook pro using the wine wrapper.

Seems someone else on page 4 is having this issue as well.

Any advice on a workaround/fix would be greatly appreciated.

I will look into this.

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

Ronald Sotken
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#102 - 2016-03-14 17:59:00 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Ronald Sotken wrote:
Since switching to the wine wrapper I've noticed that sometimes when warping/jumping into a system, the video that is displayed on the billboards will play in full screen. I haven't been able to determine the trigger for this, but it seems to occur when commencing warp, or alt+clicking in space.

I will look into this.

Thanks so much!
Primary This Rifter
Mutual Fund of the Something
#103 - 2016-03-14 19:22:06 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Ronald Sotken wrote:

I will look into this.

I was in Help chat yesterday and I spoke to someone who was having this problem on Ubuntu. I told them to file a bug report but I'm not sure if he knew how to do that.
Ronald Sotken
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#104 - 2016-03-14 19:37:34 UTC
Primary This Rifter wrote:

I was in Help chat yesterday and I spoke to someone who was having this problem on Ubuntu. I told them to file a bug report but I'm not sure if he knew how to do that.

I've filed a bug report showing the screenshots as well. I posted more info about my system in the report, as well. Hopefully it'll just be a conflict or something simple. Smile
XSrederX
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#105 - 2016-03-15 16:18:31 UTC
experiencing the resolution and random game videos glitches. Have a 2007 Mac Pro with a GTX 950 (non-native/flashed) the client does not recognize my video card in wine but does in Cider perhaps that is the source of some of my issues?
CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#106 - 2016-03-15 16:27:58 UTC
XSrederX wrote:
experiencing the resolution and random game videos glitches. Have a 2007 Mac Pro with a GTX 950 (non-native/flashed) the client does not recognize my video card in wine but does in Cider perhaps that is the source of some of my issues?

Please file a bug report, attaching the logs from ~/Library/Application Support/CCP/EVE/Launcher. Send me the ID of the report to ensure I get it right away.

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

Invisusira
Escalated.
OnlyFleets.
#107 - 2016-03-16 04:35:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Invisusira
Able to launch reliably now, but screen resolutions are all over the place. By default I can only select 4k something x 1k something (both monitors), but by switching back and forth between fullscreen and windowed I can get other options to show up. Sometimes they work, usually they minimize the EVE window into the dock, where it can't be re-opened. And unfortunately at no point am I able to get my full resolution on only my main monitor in windowed mode, which is how I (and I'd imagine most people with multiple monitors) play.
Bast Antollare
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#108 - 2016-03-16 07:55:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Bast Antollare
Not sure if this is a problem but it seems odd. When I run "shared cache settings" under "settings", it finds about 2500 extra files, which it then deletes. Then when I restart the launcher it downloads about 2500 files. The client does start immediately after the files are deleted (without restarting the launcher) and seems to work fine. Yet, once I close the launcher and restart it, it downloads those 2500 files again.

Screen cap of log files:
log 1

log 2
CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#109 - 2016-03-16 09:34:33 UTC
Bast Antollare wrote:
Not sure if this is a problem but it seems odd. When I run "shared cache settings" under "settings", it finds about 2500 extra files, which it then deletes. Then when I restart the launcher it downloads about 2500 files. The client does start immediately after the files are deleted (without restarting the launcher) and seems to work fine. Yet, once I close the launcher and restart it, it downloads those 2500 files again.

Screen cap of log files:
log 1

log 2

Thanks for reporting this. I think I know what is going on, I'll look into this.

trever
Full Broadside
Deepwater Hooligans
#110 - 2016-03-18 07:01:46 UTC
Found a few screen resolution glitches so far.

Every time I start a client it always starts the client one of my three screens at whatever the resolution I had that profile at. The problem with this is that while they are in windowed mode they do not have the top menu bar to move the client to a different spot. If i hit escape and try to change the resolution while in windowed mode I find a only 3 resolutions and their a bit wonky.

The work around i found was to go to fixed screen to move the client to my main screen.

Then select full screen and and select a resolution. By selecting full screen I am able to see all the available resolutions like normal again.

After hitting apply with an appropriate resolution I go back and select windowed mode, and viola all the normal resolutions are back.

After hitting apply I am able to see the top menu bar finally and can move the client like normal/resize.

I am having to do this for every client I open up every time.

I will send you a evemail with my logs, screencaptures and so forth.

Thanks Snorlax!
Amarisen Gream
The.Kin.of.Jupiter
#111 - 2016-03-18 07:04:56 UTC
trever wrote:
Found a few screen resolution glitches so far.

Every time I start a client it always starts the client one of my three screens at whatever the resolution I had that profile at. The problem with this is that while they are in windowed mode they do not have the top menu bar to move the client to a different spot. If i hit escape and try to change the resolution while in windowed mode I find a only 3 resolutions and their a bit wonky.

The work around i found was to go to fixed screen to move the client to my main screen.

Then select full screen and and select a resolution. By selecting full screen I am able to see all the available resolutions like normal again.

After hitting apply with an appropriate resolution I go back and select windowed mode, and viola all the normal resolutions are back.

After hitting apply I am able to see the top menu bar finally and can move the client like normal/resize.

I am having to do this for every client I open up every time.

I will send you a evemail with my logs, screencaptures and so forth.

Thanks Snorlax!

If you have not noticed - wine for me allows me to resize my windows from the edge. I was doing this from the esc > graphic settings, but they never stayed. So now I just resize the window like I would with any other windowed application.

"The Lord loosed upon them his fierce anger All of his fury and rage. He dispatched against them a band of Avenging Angels" - The Scriptures, Book II, Apocalypse 10:1

#NPCLivesMatter #Freetheboobs

Invisusira
Escalated.
OnlyFleets.
#112 - 2016-03-18 23:50:22 UTC
Amarisen Gream wrote:
If you have not noticed - wine for me allows me to resize my windows from the edge. I was doing this from the esc > graphic settings, but they never stayed. So now I just resize the window like I would with any other windowed application.

oh sweet TIL. welp that makes wine useable!
Invisusira
Escalated.
OnlyFleets.
#113 - 2016-03-19 01:21:15 UTC
Ok oddly, sound refuses to play through my USB headset. System sound plays, Mumble plays, but EVE sound plays through my regular speakers. Only in Wine.
Bast Antollare
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#114 - 2016-03-19 03:02:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Bast Antollare
Invisusira wrote:
Ok oddly, sound refuses to play through my USB headset. System sound plays, Mumble plays, but EVE sound plays through my regular speakers. Only in Wine.

Thought it was just me, but I have the same issue - mumble works fine, but can't get Eve sound to play through USB headset.

Just tested with 3.5mm stereo plug and sound works fine, switch to USB headphone - no sound.
Xerxes Fehrnah
The Fallout Shelter
#115 - 2016-03-19 18:08:21 UTC
Eve is much better under wine. Thank you for this update. It means a lot.

A feature request for wine support on Mac: Every time I start the launcher, it downloads a new version of wine --devel. It's spending a considerable amount of my Comcast data allotment. It would be nice to have a toggle switch that would allow me to reject updates to wine except on a daily, every other day, or as wanted basis.

I understand why Eve updates are essential in real time, as we all need to be on the same version, but wine updates could be throttled or ignored entirely unless some critical update is present that fixes a bug.

TL;DR: let me set the launcher to "notify me about wine updates available, and allow me to decide to reject or accept them."

Thanks again CCP_Snorlax!!!
CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#116 - 2016-03-19 18:21:59 UTC
Xerxes Fehrnah wrote:
Eve is much better under wine. Thank you for this update. It means a lot.

A feature request for wine support on Mac: Every time I start the launcher, it downloads a new version of wine --devel. It's spending a considerable amount of my Comcast data allotment. It would be nice to have a toggle switch that would allow me to reject updates to wine except on a daily, every other day, or as wanted basis.

I understand why Eve updates are essential in real time, as we all need to be on the same version, but wine updates could be throttled or ignored entirely unless some critical update is present that fixes a bug.

TL;DR: let me set the launcher to "notify me about wine updates available, and allow me to decide to reject or accept them."

Thanks again CCP_Snorlax!!!

The Wine versions will stabilize soon. It shouldn't be downloading every time, though, unless maybe if you have selected latest dev builds. Try unchecking 'dev builds' for the Wine wrapper. You can also select a specific build, rather than latest, and it will stick to that.

The current version spends a fair amount of time verifying the files every time, though - that is already addressed in the latest dev version of the launcher that I will deploy next week.

Amarisen Gream
The.Kin.of.Jupiter
#117 - 2016-03-19 22:30:17 UTC
Bast Antollare wrote:
Invisusira wrote:

Thought it was just me, but I have the same issue - mumble works fine, but can't get Eve sound to play through USB headset.

Just tested with 3.5mm stereo plug and sound works fine, switch to USB headphone - no sound.

I have no issues with EVE audio through my BOSE which hooks up via USB.

From memory you have to pick your audio out source before you start EVE.
If you hold alt/option - click the audio icon - you can pick the out source.

"The Lord loosed upon them his fierce anger All of his fury and rage. He dispatched against them a band of Avenging Angels" - The Scriptures, Book II, Apocalypse 10:1

#NPCLivesMatter #Freetheboobs

Bast Antollare
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#118 - 2016-03-20 07:46:45 UTC
Bast Antollare wrote:
Invisusira wrote:

So, even stranger behaviour - No sound when I have one client open, but when I open a second account, the sound starts up. Works fine until I close one of the accounts and then it goes dead again.
Johny Rambo
Eastern Windmill
#119 - 2016-03-20 12:33:44 UTC
I am unable to start client via wine wrapper at all.
Every times I start launcher it copies wine files.
Yesterday when I started launcher after a week of not using it and I tried to start client, MacOSX told me I need X11 server to start explorer.exe and I should go and download it.
So I did - I downloaded X11 from http://www.xquartz.org, installed it but to no effect.
I will raise a bug soon, I just need to find 3 minutes to get to these damn launcher logfiles... ;)
CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#120 - 2016-03-20 12:35:20 UTC
Johny Rambo wrote:
I am unable to start client via wine wrapper at all.
Every times I start launcher it copies wine files.
Yesterday when I started launcher after a week of not using it and I tried to start client, MacOSX told me I need X11 server to start explorer.exe and I should go and download it.
So I did - I downloaded X11 from http://www.xquartz.org, installed it but to no effect.
I will raise a bug soon, I just need to find 3 minutes to get to these damn launcher logfiles... ;)

I'll release an update next week that I'm hoping will resolve those issues.