These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Dev blog: Overlays, ISK Buyer Amnesty and Account Security

First post First post
Author
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
#141 - 2016-02-24 05:55:29 UTC
Sumo Sabezan wrote:
Second, the overlay banning is just ridiculous. All this now encourages is for players who made use of this to go out and buy more monitors so that they don't have to have cut pieces out / overlay others on top. This makes literally 0 sense and is a step in the wrong direction.
There's also the bit where they point out they have no idea what the client actually looks like, so they in fact won;t be able to tell the difference between a cut up client and someone with plenty of screen real estate and windowed clients, so you're pretty much using multiple monitors at your own risk here.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Som Boty
Super Mother Fan Club
#142 - 2016-02-24 06:00:34 UTC
CCP, just **** off already. You got broadcasting, that was a good one. But let us manage our windows however we choose.
Daugan
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#143 - 2016-02-24 06:23:14 UTC
Please reconsider these rather poorly worded, and arguably counter productive changes.

Not only are pretty solid PVP aspects of Eve heavily harmed with this change, but also (a stupid amount) of PVE options are getting hit in the head with this one.

It's been nothing but sticks lately CCP, in pretty much every play style I enjoy.
Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#144 - 2016-02-24 06:54:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Alavaria Fera
Som Boty wrote:
CCP, just **** off already. You got broadcasting, that was a good one. But let us manage our windows however we choose.

Can't get off the slippery slope once we're rollin'

Lucas Kell wrote:
Sumo Sabezan wrote:
Second, the overlay banning is just ridiculous. All this now encourages is for players who made use of this to go out and buy more monitors so that they don't have to have cut pieces out / overlay others on top. This makes literally 0 sense and is a step in the wrong direction.
There's also the bit where they point out they have no idea what the client actually looks like, so they in fact won;t be able to tell the difference between a cut up client and someone with plenty of screen real estate and windowed clients, so you're pretty much using multiple monitors at your own risk here.

Oh dear... as people noted, multiple monitors is an unfair advantage~

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Alhira Katserna
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#145 - 2016-02-24 08:19:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Alhira Katserna
So what about people who have multiple accounts but only 1 monitor? For example a 3x miner and 1x Orca setup where each window is sized to around 1600x900 and arrange so that in each corner shows a part of one client to easier click on them than using the windows preview. Will they have to fear to get banned because of this behaviour? Or the pvper who has set 2 accounts on one monitor (1 scout and 1 pvper) and is using this to show the Overview on the scout during still being active on his pvp toon? Will he also have to fear to get banned?
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
#146 - 2016-02-24 08:28:25 UTC
Alhira Katserna wrote:
So what about people who have multiple accounts but only 1 monitor? For example a 3x miner and 1x Orca setup where each window is sized to around 1600x900 and arrange so that in each corner shows a part of one client to easier click on them than using the windows preview. Will they have to fear to get banned because of this behaviour? Or the pvper who has set 2 accounts on one monitor (1 scout and 1 pvper) and is using this to show the Overview on the scout during still being active on his pvp toon? Will he also have to fear to get banned?
Yep, full screen only.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Proxay
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#147 - 2016-02-24 08:37:07 UTC
Jesus you lot need to all get over yourselves.

ISBOXER costs money, and is a 3rd party application that they deem to be providing an advantage to players utilising it. They want to ensure a level playing field for ALL players of EVE, irrespective of Financial situation.
The fact that a utility can be purchased that provides an advantage to a muti-boxing player is an issue they want to address, in their game.

I personally don't use ISBOXER, and I have multiple accounts - sometimes running 2+ at a time. I tab between windows because it works fine and I can handle it.
They never intended for their game to be played 10 accounts at a time by some autistic sperglord "solopvping" with his 10 vexors. It's not fair on me, and many more players to have to contend with people paying for an advantage that isn't available without a monetary subscription to the software.

If this is a huge issue for you, and you're not happy, then get lost.


Just because this thread is full of people whining as incessantly as they are, doesn't mean this isn't the right call.

Loading signature...

Archibald Thistlewaite III
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Miners
#148 - 2016-02-24 08:38:09 UTC
Alhira Katserna wrote:
So what about people who have multiple accounts but only 1 monitor? For example a 3x miner and 1x Orca setup where each window is sized to around 1600x900 and arrange so that in each corner shows a part of one client to easier click on them than using the windows preview. Will they have to fear to get banned because of this behaviour? Or the pvper who has set 2 accounts on one monitor (1 scout and 1 pvper) and is using this to show the Overview on the scout during still being active on his pvp toon? Will he also have to fear to get banned?


The miner is fine.

The pvp example, it depends. Is the pvp using a 3rd-party program to 'cut out' the overview of a client and overlaying it on top of another client? Thats breaking the EULA.

If the clients are both windowed and resized and offset so the scout clients overview is visable, whilst the pvp client is on top and being played. That is fine according to the EULA and the devblog.

User of 'Bumblefck's Luscious & Luminous Mustachio Wax'

Proxay
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#149 - 2016-02-24 08:39:35 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Yep, full screen only.


Can you highlight in a screenshot a part of the devblog that explicitly said you can't tile or layout the windows around your desktop however the damn hell you want.

Loading signature...

Luscius Uta
#150 - 2016-02-24 08:42:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Luscius Uta
Seems like a good time to be a scammer. Scam some people, send CCP an e-mail claiming that you were really buying ISK from them, and see them getting banned.

Workarounds are not bugfixes.

Koenig Yazria
Adversity.
Snuffed Out
#151 - 2016-02-24 08:45:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Koenig Yazria
Proxay wrote:
Jesus you lot need to all get over yourselves.

ISBOXER costs money, and is a 3rd party application that they deem to be providing an advantage to players utilising it. They want to ensure a level playing field for ALL players of EVE, irrespective of Financial situation.
The fact that a utility can be purchased that provides an advantage to a muti-boxing player is an issue they want to address, in their game.

I personally don't use ISBOXER, and I have multiple accounts - sometimes running 2+ at a time. I tab between windows because it works fine and I can handle it.
They never intended for their game to be played 10 accounts at a time by some autistic sperglord "solopvping" with his 10 vexors. It's not fair on me, and many more players to have to contend with people paying for an advantage that isn't available without a monetary subscription to the software.

If this is a huge issue for you, and you're not happy, then get lost.


Just because this thread is full of people whining as incessantly as they are, doesn't mean this isn't the right call.



Its not just isboxer. Read. Its pretty much every utility out there, even Eve-preview.

Go back to Rote inactivity with fever dreams of truesolo.
Uppsy Daisy
Perkone
Caldari State
#152 - 2016-02-24 08:50:00 UTC
Ghenghis Kralj wrote:
Here is an idea. Does your 3rd party software interfere with client code?

If yes, ban.
If no, carry on.

Is a 3rd party software so popular that players are willing to spend real money in addition to subscription? If so, maybe that's the world telling you that your game needs that feature. I think you have listened well when it comes to the game launcher, but window management, in game tools, and in game window arrangements are lacking enough that people are paying a significant amount to fix that for ya.


Thumbs up for the first person to make a genuine suggestion.

This is the kind of additional detail that would make it easier for the player base to know if they are breaking the rules.

'Unfair advantage' is just too vague.
Vincent Deadus
24th Imperial Crusade
Amarr Empire
#153 - 2016-02-24 08:51:34 UTC
Proxay wrote:
Jesus you lot need to all get over yourselves.

ISBOXER costs money, and is a 3rd party application that they deem to be providing an advantage to players utilising it. They want to ensure a level playing field for ALL players of EVE, irrespective of Financial situation.
The fact that a utility can be purchased that provides an advantage to a muti-boxing player is an issue they want to address, in their game.

I personally don't use ISBOXER, and I have multiple accounts - sometimes running 2+ at a time. I tab between windows because it works fine and I can handle it.
They never intended for their game to be played 10 accounts at a time by some autistic sperglord "solopvping" with his 10 vexors. It's not fair on me, and many more players to have to contend with people paying for an advantage that isn't available without a monetary subscription to the software.

If this is a huge issue for you, and you're not happy, then get lost.


Just because this thread is full of people whining as incessantly as they are, doesn't mean this isn't the right call.


So if I use the windows managment of ISBOXER (i do) I'm a bad man.

If I use EVE-O (which is free) I'm a bad man.

If I use 4 monitors thats ok.

Seriously, did you read that dev blog or did you just smash your head against the keyboard??
Proxay
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#154 - 2016-02-24 08:51:45 UTC
Koenig Yazria wrote:

Its not just isboxer. Read. Its pretty much every utility out there, even Eve-preview.

Go back to Rote inactivity with fever dreams of truesolo.


I read the blog, every word of it. It's not "EVERY" utility out there.
Personally I haven't used EVE-Preview, Pirate's Little Helper, Vision, ISBoxer and many more ever.

Activity is fine, thanks: https://zkillboard.com/character/781584111/

Got anything useful to say, or do you just want to sit there using hyperbole to try to discredit my point?

Loading signature...

Koenig Yazria
Adversity.
Snuffed Out
#155 - 2016-02-24 08:54:37 UTC
Proxay wrote:


I read the blog, every word of it. It's not "EVERY" utility out there.
Personally I haven't used EVE-Preview, Pirate's Little Helper, Vision, ISBoxer and many more ever.

Activity is fine, thanks: https://zkillboard.com/character/781584111/

Got anything useful to say, or do you just want to sit there using hyperbole to try to discredit my point?


You obviously didn't read the whole thread until now. This is discrediting your point already.

The rest was just being edgy.

Proxay
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#156 - 2016-02-24 08:55:53 UTC
Vincent Deadus wrote:

So if I use the windows managment of ISBOXER (i do) I'm a bad man.

If I use EVE-O (which is free) I'm a bad man.

If I use 4 monitors thats ok.

Seriously, did you read that dev blog or did you just smash your head against the keyboard??


Maybe I play a different game to you - but I'm out there every day hunting people trying to earn my way as a honest, humble disciple of poitot.
There are systems upon systems in EVE where people grind out ISK in anoms, sigs and belts constantly. Typically running several characters at once, and using 3rd Party Tools to provide audible alerts when a hostile (me) comes along to gank/kill/fight whoever I can.
These are advantages I cannot compete with. I do not make isk in this way, if I want isk, I run incursions. I do market stuff, I kill people and re-sell whatever falls off their wreck. I don't have the motivation to join a nullsec block, shell out RL $$$$ for additional software solutions and print money all day without concern.
More than ISK - I can't kill them. It's risk-free to run several accounts in parallel without any concern because you can use these tools they're reviewing to gain this advantage, and to protect yourself from ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME.

EVE is meant to be hard. Embrace the challenge, friend.

Loading signature...

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
#157 - 2016-02-24 08:57:05 UTC
Proxay wrote:
Jesus you lot need to all get over yourselves.

ISBOXER costs money, and is a 3rd party application that they deem to be providing an advantage to players utilising it. They want to ensure a level playing field for ALL players of EVE, irrespective of Financial situation.
Except your entire point is moot since most people here aren't talking about ISBoxer. In fact the biggest point is around EVE-O preview which is a completely free program that allows you to do very similar things. Try reading the thread before jumping in foaming at the mouth, genius.

Proxay wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Yep, full screen only.
Can you highlight in a screenshot a part of the devblog that explicitly said you can't tile or layout the windows around your desktop however the damn hell you want.
Sure.

If you tile your windows in such a way that you can see the overview of an inactive window this would be functionally no different from the above, thus be an unfair advantage and be bannable.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Vincent Deadus
24th Imperial Crusade
Amarr Empire
#158 - 2016-02-24 09:01:19 UTC
Proxay wrote:
I don't have the motivation to join a nullsec block, shell out RL $$$$ for additional software solutions and print money all day without concern.
More than ISK - I can't kill them. It's risk-free to run several accounts in parallel without any concern because you can use these tools they're reviewing to gain this advantage, and to protect yourself from ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME.

EVE is meant to be hard. Embrace the challenge, friend.


Your missing my point, paying $$$ for ISBOXER is "apparently" now bad, but CCP have no problem with multiple monitors. So sure it stops me mining with 4 clients on 1 screen, but if I go and shell out $$$ for more screens i'm good to go.

How does that level the playing field for you?
Archibald Thistlewaite III
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Miners
#159 - 2016-02-24 09:03:25 UTC
Koenig Yazria wrote:


You obviously didn't read the whole thread until now. This is discrediting your point already.

The rest was just being edgy.



This thread is just full of people who haven't read the devblog and are presuming its saying something it isn't.

Playing multiple clients is fine, playing those clients in windowed mode is fine. Using a 3rd-party program to position those windows is fine.

Whats not ok is using 3rd-party programs to overlay elements of one client on top of another client.

User of 'Bumblefck's Luscious & Luminous Mustachio Wax'

Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#160 - 2016-02-24 09:04:49 UTC
Proxay wrote:
It's not fair on me, and many more players to have to contend with people paying for an advantage that isn't available without a monetary subscription to the software.

If this is a huge issue for you, and you're not happy, then get lost.


Yet I have 3 monitors and a laptop (which I forgot about) thus could quite happily and realistically run 7ish accounts with no software.

Why do you hate on the poor people who cannot afford that luxury?