These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Walking in stations

First post
Author
Jenshae Chiroptera
#1501 - 2016-01-19 19:41:04 UTC
Just imagine how immersive the role play could be, Caldari gathered for a board meeting, the Gallente having a wild night, Amarr all at an auction for sl-

I don't see how it could harm the game to better integrate it with Dust.

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Ibutho Inkosi
Doomheim
#1502 - 2016-01-19 23:38:20 UTC
1501 - Kill this subject already.

As long as the tale of the hunt is told by the hunter, and not the lion, it will favor the hunter.

Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1503 - 2016-01-20 00:10:55 UTC
If you had Star Citizen, you'd be walking in stations right now!

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

Rico Sabezan
Doomheim
#1504 - 2016-01-20 04:07:39 UTC
star citizen is horrible. Just uninstalled the game and deleted, then sold my account for isk. get out now while you can.
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#1505 - 2016-01-20 04:23:28 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:

I've seen the videos. Looks interesting.

How many people are on one server together?
Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#1506 - 2016-01-20 06:02:35 UTC
ell oh ell I just logged on to see if there was a WIS thread in GD after all this time and THERE IS! Wow. Shocked

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Jenshae Chiroptera
#1507 - 2016-01-20 17:32:35 UTC
Gogela wrote:
ell oh ell I just logged on to see if there was a WIS thread in GD after all this time and THERE IS! Wow. Shocked
Lol We are the stalwart guard.

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Rico Sabezan
Doomheim
#1508 - 2016-01-20 23:17:54 UTC
after they get all these other side projects and balancing done, will they resume the walking in station stuff? or is this officially dead?
Jenshae Chiroptera
#1509 - 2016-01-20 23:32:38 UTC
Rico Sabezan wrote:
... or is this officially dead?
Probably unless they better integrate with Dust.

Not even once

DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#1510 - 2016-01-21 00:27:30 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:

like 16 in an instance if you are lucky

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

Whambot
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1511 - 2016-01-21 03:01:46 UTC
Quote:
.A DEV leaked an internal newsletter where various other DEVs were discussing "gold ammo" type items (see: items you paid for via microtransactions that would give you tangible boosts in the game).

...fast forward to now and they finally succeed with skill injections
Benny Ohu
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#1512 - 2016-01-21 03:05:06 UTC
Rico Sabezan wrote:
after they get all these other side projects and balancing done, will they resume the walking in station stuff? or is this officially dead?

dead, buried and cremated
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#1513 - 2016-01-21 03:25:42 UTC
DaReaper wrote:
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:

My impression was that unlike EVE (and the still struggling to get off the ground fantasy single shard game PFO) they intend to divide any battle into smaller instances. Hence if you board a ship it will be a single entity in the fleet battle and the internal FPS battle will be a separate instance. Never been tempted to actually try it and see how this works in practice but it sounds messy.
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
EDENCOM DEFENSIVE INITIATIVE
#1514 - 2016-01-21 13:47:30 UTC
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
DaReaper wrote:
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:

My impression was that unlike EVE (and the still struggling to get off the ground fantasy single shard game PFO) they intend to divide any battle into smaller instances. Hence if you board a ship it will be a single entity in the fleet battle and the internal FPS battle will be a separate instance. Never been tempted to actually try it and see how this works in practice but it sounds messy.

Already they are talking about making precautions to block the people from boarding other's ships, because of "griefing".
Jenshae Chiroptera
#1515 - 2016-01-21 18:02:06 UTC
Nana Skalski wrote:
... Already they are talking about making precautions to block the people from boarding other's ships, because of "griefing".
... and this is why I push for nice things like WiS in EVE

Not even once

Aina Aideron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1516 - 2016-01-21 19:28:48 UTC
If it is possible to have the result of what's happening in an instanced area affect eve, then it could be a way to have a connection between wis and eve.
Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#1517 - 2016-01-21 21:44:06 UTC
This might possibly have been discussed somewhere in the first 1,050 posts, but…

Would a single shard server be able to handle:
-Many human figures, with many animated moving parts. Spaceship models are rigid, relatively simple models. Some do have a few simple stock animation sequences. But the server doesn’t have to deal with animating complex human figures, in response to live twitch-control by live players.

-Also rendering 3D station interiors, on the fly. Not background textures off in the distance, as in many MMOs, and not space nebula backdrops. 3D structures, with detailed skins or whatever the details are called, plus lighting.

-And at the same time, handle all of the regular EVE things that go on outside of WIS.

Other MMOs with animated Player Character figures handle the rendering job by using multiple servers/game worlds. If, say, 10% of EVE players are WIS at once, could the server handle it? Would WIS in Jita have to be TiDi?

I suppose CCP considered all of this before they announced “Ambulation.” But I’m curious about the server load issues that would be involved in WIS.
Messenger Of Truth
Butlerian Crusade
#1518 - 2016-01-21 21:54:38 UTC
Ok the stuff I'm going to say is probably wrong in places as I know absolutely nothing about the server architecture, so these are just best guesses - and nobody apart from a handful of CCP programmers can do more than answer your questions with anything other than guesses...but nonetheless here I go...

Khergit Deserters wrote:
This might possibly have been discussed somewhere in the first 1,050 posts, but…

Would a single shard server be able to handle:
-Many human figures, with many animated moving parts. Spaceship models are rigid, relatively simple models. Some do have a few simple stock animation sequences. But the server doesn’t have to deal with animating complex human figures, in response to live twitch-control by live players.

The server itself would probably only track the position/direction, it would be down to the client to track the animations. So maybe not a massive issue.

Khergit Deserters wrote:

-Also rendering 3D station interiors, on the fly. Not background textures off in the distance, as in many MMOs, and not space nebula backdrops. 3D structures, with detailed skins or whatever the details are called, plus lighting.

-And at the same time, handle all of the regular EVE things that go on outside of WIS.

Its mainly the client that has to worry about 3d station interiors, not the server. So it might not be a big deal.

Khergit Deserters wrote:

Other MMOs with animated Player Character figures handle the rendering job by using multiple servers/game worlds. If, say, 10% of EVE players are WIS at once, could the server handle it? Would WIS in Jita have to be TiDi?

I suppose CCP considered all of this before they announced “Ambulation.” But I’m curious about the server load issues that would be involved in WIS.

Bearing in mind each player can control one avatar or one ship, in the best case, with one-second WIS ticks the load would be barely different to the load from the character controlling a spaceship. In actual fact for walking around you would probably want ticks at closer to 10 per second so as not to look jerky. So there might be a higher load from players moving around. On the other hand, station interiors might well run on a different server to solar systems, so the load might not affect the solar system.

Anyway, I think WIS would be cool. And what would be even cooler would be if you could dock up in a station, then join a DUST or Valkyrie battle from that station!

Trade Hub Price Checker: stop.hammerti.me.uk/pricecheck

Visit "Haulers Channel" in game for all matters courier-related.

Structure name/system API: stop.hammerti.me.uk/api

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#1519 - 2016-01-21 21:54:45 UTC
The server would, but our graphics cards? That is not clear. CCP said they had multi-avatars working in test setups, but they never said how much graphics horsepower was needed. They also said the avatar engine turns down the detail as needed to get reasonable performance. But even after all that, would it work? We don't know.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Kuronaga
The Dead Parrot Shoppe Inc.
The Chicken Coop
#1520 - 2016-01-22 04:46:31 UTC
Graphics cards are a good bit stronger now than they were when Incarna first launched.

Of course, not in everyone's case... but some people are stubborn as hell and you just can't do a thing for them when they refuse to upgrade.