These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev Blog: Exploring The Character Bazaar & Skill Trading

First post First post First post
Author
EvilweaselSA
GoonCorp
Goonswarm Federation
#461 - 2015-10-15 18:07:24 UTC
Skilo wrote:
I've been playing this game since 2003

I'm a proud "owner" of a multi million skill point char who took me 12 years to get

To imagine someone can now just join eve and buy it of with real money will make me unsub all my accounts\

they already could numbnuts your sp count doesn't make you elite
Moraguth
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#462 - 2015-10-15 18:07:56 UTC
Viliana Ovaert wrote:
I like this idea. Especially where I am, at slightly over 20m SP. Unless I am misunderstanding, I can pick up one of these packets and gain 400k SP, which is what, a week of training? Corp comes out with new doctrine, but I would have to use meta weapons like a scrub? No prob, I could just pick up a packet or two and I can use the T2! Anything that increases versatility is a good thing.

This is another reason why the change is a bad idea. Switching metas for an entire alliance should be more of a decision than just "how much isk is this gonna cost us?"

One reason older players are more valuable because of their immediate versatility. There should be a risk involved with wanting to change how your alliance (or your corp, or just you and your friends) want to do things. There should be more to consider than just having the isk available to buy everyone the extra SP they need to fly the new meta with max skills in however long it takes you to get to Jita/Amarr and buy the SP to put in your head.

I have a tendency to go on and on and on, so I'll just stop there for now, but there is plenty more to say on the subject.

I got a Feature Added!

Stop calling an Abaddon "abba-dawn".  It is "uh-bad-in" dictionary.com/abaddon

Samillian
Angry Mustellid
#463 - 2015-10-15 18:08:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Samillian
I cannot believe that you have even considered this, you would be better to just turn the servers off and walk away than debase and devalue your game like this.

NBSI shall be the whole of the Law

Mike Azariah
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#464 - 2015-10-15 18:08:08 UTC
For people quitting in protest I remind them that Operation Magic School Bus does accept donations to help out the new players. Yes, this is a 'can I haz' post but it is one where the material will be put to good use, not just lining a wallet or hanger. Contract to me if you wish to donate.

m

Mike Azariah  ┬──┬ ¯|(ツ)

Nasro Drags
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#465 - 2015-10-15 18:08:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Nasro Drags
"Eve is real" - my ass

It's things like that just makes it impossible for me to recommend this game. You just make it next to impossible to feel attached to your characters.

Trading a character is bad enough IMO, but it comes with the history, so the player behind the character is different, but the character has had a story, it was sort of real for that character.

Drifters has been an interesting addition now you go the exact opposite way with this.

At times, Eve's development is just like a hydra with 7 heads all pulling in different directions. I still like the vision that seems to underly it all... but damn do those heads work hard at stretching the vision...
Hashtag Rare Pepe
Doomheim
#466 - 2015-10-15 18:08:51 UTC
Make it happen! A lot of newblood to be expected if this goes through. The sooner the better.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#467 - 2015-10-15 18:08:52 UTC
Malinger wrote:
No don't do this, not in any form or way. Stop now.

So we should get rid of the character bazaar then too.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

EvilweaselSA
GoonCorp
Goonswarm Federation
#468 - 2015-10-15 18:08:55 UTC
MY SP ELITENESS

(i have more sp than 90% of the posters in this thread)
Dave Stark
#469 - 2015-10-15 18:08:55 UTC
Dear CCP.

you have made some monumentally stupid decisions.
you have made some absolutely fantastic changes.

then you have done this.

this is pretty "yeah, it's alright" but it certainly isn't wrong. you already have the character bazzar, so people calling this "pay to win" or "it will kill the game" are ignorant at best, and hypocrites at worst.

i'm fine with this announcement, there's no reason not to be.
TigerXtrm
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#470 - 2015-10-15 18:09:02 UTC
Holy f*ck... didn't think I'd see this day.

If anything there needs to be a hard cap above which you're not longer able to inject skillpoints, period. Because if you think diminishing returns are going to prevent people from sinking trillions of ISK into skillpoints, you are sadly mistaken.

But overall this is just a bad idea... god this is such a bad idea.

My YouTube Channel - EVE Tutorials & other game related things!

My Website - Blogs, Livestreams & Forums

Nyjil Lizaru
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#471 - 2015-10-15 18:09:09 UTC
Suggested changes:
-A hard-cap per character: only allow a total of 5-10 million SP (for example) in or out for the character total, ever.
-Alternately: a yearly limit of 1-3 million (again, amount is just an idea)
-Limit it to within the same account

I like it because I have skills that I trained that were nerfed almost as soon as I trained them - I'd love to nuke them, but not sure about a limitless trading of SP, even with the diminishing returns.

Nyjil's corollary to Malcanis' Law:   "Any attempt by CCP to smooth the learning curve of EVE Online will be carried out via the addition of extra factors and 'features' such that there is a net increase in complexity."

Skinzee
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#472 - 2015-10-15 18:09:11 UTC
Mike Azariah wrote:
For people quitting in protest I remind them that Operation Magic School Bus does accept donations to help out the new players. Yes, this is a 'can I haz' post but it is one where the material will be put to good use, not just lining a wallet or hanger. Contract to me if you wish to donate.

m

Can I Haz Leftovers? Plx? <3
Skilo
Lisnave
Pandemic Horde
#473 - 2015-10-15 18:09:24 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Skilo wrote:

Hey i can stop playing for 1 year and if i decide to return get the euros i saved and buy all the skill points i've "lost"

I wish I could warn you not to give them ideas like that.

The point is that it goes against everyhting CCP always said about Pay to Win

This is PAY TO WIN

You pay you get skills you get better ships and guns you win

PAY TO WIN
Alladir
Alladarium
#474 - 2015-10-15 18:09:47 UTC
Zajia Arkaral wrote:
I dont want to see this ingame, stop fuckin your old community.

If a change will bring 2 new players who will stay in game for long for each veteran leaving they are still gonna make a profit. Thats how things go. That's what Bioware is doing favoring simplier rpg for new casuals sacrificing old players who were with them since begining. That's what Blizzard does too. It may be a bitter truth but it works and thats what matters. Old veterans are good and stuff but they are bleeding playerbase since many of them have to stop playing due to reasons completly unrelated to game or game design process. So why make a game that keeps a vet playerbase that will disappear with enough time when you can change it to attract new playerbase that will stay and compensate the bleeding? Most ppl complain now but let's be honest it'll die out soon and only a fraction of them will really leave.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#475 - 2015-10-15 18:10:26 UTC
Skilo wrote:

I'm a proud "owner" of a multi million skill point char who took me 12 years to get

To imagine someone can now just join eve and buy it of with real money will make me unsub all my accounts

I've been with CCP for the good times and the bad times but for this i will not!!!!

Hey i can stop playing for 1 year and if i decide to return get the euros i saved and buy all the skill points i've "lost"

IF i decide to return ofc

Want to take the risk CCP?

I'm sure i'm not the only one thinking the same way

That ship sailed long ago. With enough money somebody could buy a character with over a hundred million SP. Even more.

You should have quit years ago, to be quite honest. Roll

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Styphon the Black
Forced Euthanasia
#476 - 2015-10-15 18:10:50 UTC
I loved everything about this suggested feature!! It is something I have been screaming wanting for the last year and getting squashed at every forum post that I made suggesting such a thing.

Thank you!!

The only thing that I don't really love is the diminishing returns. Also I hope that 1 SP = 1 SP and it isn't selling a diminished value of skill points. So if you pull 2 million skill points out of Toon "A" and sell those, the buyer can only receive 500k SP in toon "B" or some other crap.

Also will the original character bazaar still be able to still be used? I certainly hope so.

My main issue with trading characters in the first place was being stuck with the a terrible name.
ISK IRON BANK
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#477 - 2015-10-15 18:10:58 UTC
Buy SP using plex

Buy char from Forum using plex

Not sure why everyone is getting excited over this.
TheSmokingHertog
Julia's Interstellar Trade Emperium
#478 - 2015-10-15 18:11:07 UTC
Skilo wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
Skilo wrote:

I wish I could warn you not to give them ideas like that.

The point is that it goes against everyhting CCP always said about Pay to Win

This is PAY TO WIN

You pay you get skills you get better ships and guns you win

PAY TO WIN

The skillpool in EVE would not change in size, how is this pay to win?

"Dogma is kind of like quantum physics, observing the dogma state will change it." ~ CCP Prism X

"Schrödinger's Missile. I dig it." ~ Makari Aeron

-= "Brain in a Box on Singularity" - April 2015 =-

Querns
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#479 - 2015-10-15 18:11:25 UTC
Nergart wrote:
....so how long before eve is free to play?

i only ask so i can stop paying CCP any money?

Eve is already free to play. I have only ever directly given CCP money once, for my initial 30 days of subscription time. After that, I have kept all my accounts going strictly from in-game isk.

This post was crafted by the wormhole expert of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal, the foremost authority on Eve: Online economics and gameplay.

Wribbley
Molotov Holdings Limited
Molotov Coalition
#480 - 2015-10-15 18:11:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Wribbley
Y'know, I see a lot of hate directed towards the old "bittervet" playerbase.

I actually see it from the other standpoint. I like to think of myself as rich, (ingame) and I have very little to spend my isk on - apart from investing it to try and earn more isk.

I would abuse the hell out of it, just because I could (10% return not an issue tbh).

The only way I can see this working is setting a permanent hard cap (eg 20/25 mil). As in when you hit that, no more injecting sp.

This would allow new players who could afford it, or older players who want a fast alt (through whatever payment method) a chance to get a not insignificant boost, nor I would expect a massive gamebreaking one.