These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Galatea] First batch of sov capture iterations

First post First post
Author
Suitonia
Order of the Red Kestrel
#81 - 2015-08-19 00:00:12 UTC
Allawa Phantom wrote:
like what the **** kind of fix is this? 4K isnt a limit most ships you cant even get to 4K. Even with an over-sized propmod.

What CCP has done here is made Torll Ceptors More Trolly. The 4M limit will INCREASE the amount of Troll Hacking Which is the UNDER LYING PROBLEM with this sov system.

An Atron with a single overdrive can break 4km/s, and catch troll ceptors now.

Contributer to Eve is Easy:  https://www.youtube.com/user/eveiseasy/videos

Solo PvP is possible with a 20 day old character! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvOB4KXYk-o

Alekseyev Karrde
Noir.
Templis CALSF
#82 - 2015-08-19 00:02:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Alekseyev Karrde
Aprozatoarea wrote:
this whole new sov system just seems silly, and its very boring. imho the whole system should be scrapped and rethinked. u actually implanted a WOW solution!.

You clearly havnt done much with Dominion sov.

The new system is actually pretty damn good. The fun parts are more fun and the unfun parts now go faster for everyone except people with 50 super carriers to grind with.

"Trollcepters" were hilariously ineffective in the playtests on Duality. Once borders contract to used space and the whiney scrubs have their directors/FCs tell them what ships to use a lot of their issues go away.

The speed limit I'm fine with.

The number of nodes and capture time being reduced so drastically I'm not sure about. Seems like fights will get a lot more swingy in favor of whoever can get started first. Which could be good, could be bad I guess.

Shy of adding sentry guns to stations, iHubs, and TCU there will always be some number of pilots able to "troll" attack your space thanks to the switch away from HP structure grinds. And if you dont go out and defend against them no amount of passive recharge is going to help you.

In the prior system, attackers could warp at will. Now at least you have a chance to catch and kill them. You will never again have the chance to sit back and ignore them, knowing full well that your safety is built on so many hit points that a non 0.0 apex force attacker would have to burn themselves out of EVE and take a day off work to actually affect you.

H. T. F. U. (or hire mercenaries to be hard for you ;) )

EDIT: The main thing this system needs, just as Dominion needed, is a sov transfer function so peaceful transfers of sov can be conducted quickly and easily. But I'm sure CCP's keenly aware of this and said tweak will occur.

Alek the Kidnapper, Hero of the CSM

Yen Thara
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#83 - 2015-08-19 00:03:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Yen Thara
Quote:

Interceptors have been cancer since the day they were released. Not having counters for things in this game has been historically terrible, and right now a gang of interceptors has no counter if they don't want to get caught. Yes you can catch one or two if you're lucky and have the right ships, but the rest blow past you, and you have no way to catch up. Let HICs catch them already.

Yeah interceptors have literally no counter, I mean I have only been pipebombed like 5-6 time. If you're that worried about trollceptors set up an intel channel and start setting traps for ceptors.

EDIT: Also a lot of issues will be fixed when Citadels are released.
oodell
Rotciv Rrama Industries
Goonswarm Federation
#84 - 2015-08-19 00:07:03 UTC  |  Edited by: oodell
Yen Thara wrote:
Quote:

Interceptors have been cancer since the day they were released. Not having counters for things in this game has been historically terrible, and right now a gang of interceptors has no counter if they don't want to get caught. Yes you can catch one or two if you're lucky and have the right ships, but the rest blow past you, and you have no way to catch up. Let HICs catch them already.

Yeah interceptors have literally no counter, I mean I have only been pipebombed like 5-6 time. If you're that worried about trollceptors set up an intel channel and start setting traps for ceptors.

Any C-team FC is going to use a scout, and smartbombs are easy to avoid with perches. I also specifically mentioned smartbombs as the only realistic counter, and they're hardly consistent enough to be considered a counter.
Alphaomega21
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#85 - 2015-08-19 00:08:06 UTC
Sentamon wrote:
Goons and pets will only be happy with a system that lets them rule everything by being offline.

Nah who am I kiddin, they'd still complain. CCP should add pacifiers and some warm milk to SoV holders... maybe a comfort blankie too.

We were for an occupancy based sovereignty system that benefits people who use their space but this is just a bastardization of faction warfare not occupancy based sovereignty. Make a truly occupancy based sovereignty system that is based only on the number of active pilots in the system. Trying to fit sovereign null sec into a Fozzie elite pvp shaped mold will kill all content in null sec and no one will want to hold it. These contrived systems just make it more effort to take and hold space and take advantage of the little to no benefits it gives.
Vlad Vladimir Vladinovsky
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#86 - 2015-08-19 00:08:13 UTC
How does this speed cap of 4000m/s stop interceptors from just offlining the module and gong full speed again? They've always been offline the module to gain their mobility and speed back so I don't see how this is any different
Oddsodz
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#87 - 2015-08-19 00:08:40 UTC
Speed limit on ships fitted Entosis links is WRONG.

A better way to deal with this is to just make the Entosis link module only fittable on destroyer class ships and above. So simple and yet fixes all the issues of the so called troll sepctor.

Yen Thara
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#88 - 2015-08-19 00:10:05 UTC
Vlad Vladimir Vladinovsky wrote:
How does this speed cap of 4000m/s stop interceptors from just offlining the module and gong full speed again? They've always been offline the module to gain their mobility and speed back so I don't see how this is any different

I'm not positive but the reduction could be if you have it fitted, whether its online or not makes no difference.
Suitonia
Order of the Red Kestrel
#89 - 2015-08-19 00:10:57 UTC
Vlad Vladimir Vladinovsky wrote:

Offlining the Entosis doesn't speed you up.... you always kept the speed penalty........

Solo PvP is possible with a 20 day old character! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvOB4KXYk-o

Suitonia
Order of the Red Kestrel
#90 - 2015-08-19 00:11:43 UTC
Oddsodz wrote:

A better way to deal with this is to just make the Entosis link module only fittable on destroyer class ships and above. So simple and yet fixes all the issues of the so called troll sepctor.

The funny thing is Troll Ceptors aren't the most broken thing, it's 500mn Strategic Cruisers

oodell
Rotciv Rrama Industries
Goonswarm Federation
#91 - 2015-08-19 00:13:30 UTC
Oddsodz wrote:

There are legitimate use cases for a frigate-sized ship which is also mobile.

Harpyfleet is a strategic doctrine used by more than one alliance for strategic fights over sov. There's no reason why a harpy shouldn't be able to entosis during a fight.
MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#92 - 2015-08-19 00:15:11 UTC
Oddsodz wrote:

not really if you want to go in a fleet of t3d you should be able to...

but if you want to go in with one ship that is where you should have a good chance of being caught.

That is why i have proposed making capture structures, outposts, ihubs and tcu have a chance to use a 75km scram and web.

This will make it so if a trollceptor tries to attack my outpost i simply undock in a insta thrasher and pop him.

Also with this mechanic and without looking at whats going to happen to capitals i would like to see the return of the option for the structure grind once you pass the first reinfoce timer.

basically you have to e-link the outpost or tcu or ihub and it goes into reinfoce mode. when it comes out you have to capture the capture stuctures in the constalation and that will then cause the second timer which will deactivate the shields...

since there are no shields left you can now shoot the structure... but at the same time there will still be caputre events... so you have to choose try and grind the structure or capture the annoms... or try both...

that way you can have a b-r like fight again.

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Sophie Elongur
Hooded Underworld Guys
Brotherhood of Spacers
#93 - 2015-08-19 00:16:35 UTC
Tentative steps in the right direction...

Stop listening to high and low sec pubbies who know nothing about null and start listening to nullsec players who live out here.
Borachon
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#94 - 2015-08-19 00:24:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Borachon
A comment and a clarification:

1. I really appreciate the commitment to keep working on this; even if I'm skeptical of this approach, that statement alone was worth the full price of admission of the post. Thanks.
  2. How do webs interact with the speed limit? Say, for example, an "attacker" starts with a ship that normally would have gone 8 km/s; they fit an entosis link on it, and it's speed is capped to 4 km/s. It's entosising a TCU, and a Huginn with a fed navy web lands and applies a 50km 60% web to it. Does its speed drop to 3200 m/s (8km/s * 40%) or 1600 m/s (4km/s * 40%)?
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#95 - 2015-08-19 00:30:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Well, I'm surprised.

Though I didn't agree entirely with all the feedback, even I could see what the majority wanted.

This wasn't it. In fact, most of these changes were not suggested by anybody in any thread I'm aware of.

It also still doesn't address:

CCP Fozzie wrote:
Goal #1: As much as possible, ensure that the process of fighting over a star system is enjoyable and fascinating for all the players involved
Reagalan
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#96 - 2015-08-19 00:31:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Reagalan
I'm saying this as nicely as possible. Fozziesov is a broken and fundamentally flawed system. No amount of tweaking will ever make it work as well as either of the two previous sov systems.

Fozziesov is not engaging for the average fleet member, who has to wait around while the magical sov hackers do all the work. Under Dominion sov, your average fleet member got to contribute via DPS, and at least got killmails at the end.

Fozziesov is not fun for a sov defender, who has to race to defend buffer zones from entities who have no intention of actually taking your space, or holding it, or even using it.

It's not fun to chase interceptors around. This has also been a problem as far back as since interceptors recieved bubble immunty which was also one of the worst design decisions in the history of Eve.

Fozziesov lacks permanence. Under Dominion sov, losing a system was potentially, for all intents and purposes, permanent. It could potentially fall into a timezone from which you would never be able to take it back. Under Fozziesov, you can lose systems and take them back later. Losing your space therefore has far less value. There is less on the line.

Since losing space has less value, fewer people give a **** about their space. This is readily apparent in the mass exodus from nullsec.

Fozziesov discourages fighting because it does not force an entity to control a grid in order to win an objective. Ironically, this was one of the stated goals of the system. It discourages fighting because there is no need to commit anything more to win an objective than a single sovhacker.

Any fleet that splits itself to cover multiple nodes, and protect multiple sovhackers, will fall prey to a fleet that maintains coherency, and rolls as one large group winning multiple small fights. It's therefore in the best interest of a defender to not engage, to retain a "fleet-in-being" to discourage an attacker from splitting up. By preventing an attacker from splitting up, he can therefore maximize the tedium on part of the attackers.

Dominion sov, at least, forced both the attacker and defender to commit to a grid to fight over an objective, no matter how adamant the defending FC was at attempting to blueball the attackers. There was always a final timer, and the defender must show up for it in force, or lose.

Fozziesov's focus on the "small entities" detracts from the immense amount of organization that has gone into the maintenance of large space empires. The idea that small, disorganized entities should have an easier time defending their space, or advantages when attacking someone else's, is contrary to the concept of "effort vs reward".

This blind focus on the "small entities" has also directly lead to far fewer large fights in Nullsec, and indeed, the need for them. Large fights, large wars, large empires, and large fleets, have always been far greater content producers than small gangs, or "small entities".

Large fleets make stragglers, targets for small gangs to catch, and reasons for industrialists to build things.

Large wars involve thousands of players, given them reasons to log in, reasons to fight, and reasons for large battles involving mass destruction of ships to occur.

Large empires drive a metagame that is not found in any other game in the world, and provide organizations and structures which unite large numbers of players and provide a support network for new ones, and causes and reasons for older ones to log in.

Eve's metagame has been the number one driver of content for the game. The metagame produces headlines, the metagame produces new players.

Fozziesov, and the focus on "small entities", aims to systematically destroy all of these, and, by extension, destroys a large part of why we play Eve at all.

Despite the focus on "small entities", Fozziesov heavily favors large entities with large numbers of people who are capable of providing extra ships to fit sovlasers to, and to rat and keep up ADMs.

The ADMs of Fozziesov aim to restrict the size of a space empire on the concept of "occupancy sov". In hindsight, "occupancy sov" was a misguided and flawed concept. The size of a space empire should not be limited to the amount of space it can utilize, but by the military pressure exerted by the other players and their space empires.

Entosis Links, the cornerstone of Fozziesov, are a major contributor to the flaws of Fozziesov, and are also a fundamentally flawed concept that should never have been implemented.

The idea of a "magical space laser" that determines whose flag is planted in space is, even on it's face, a laughable concept. We dumped millions of skillpoints into combat skills for a reason.

Citadels, which so-far look like a good re-work of POS/Stations, are greatly hamstrung in their potential because of their reliance on Entosis Link mechanics.

The issue of "trollceptors" is a direct result of Entosis Links. The EHP grind of Dominion sov, and of POS, was an inherent inhibitor of "troll" tactics. Higher DPS ships inherently cost more money. EHP grinds were, by design, inherently conducive to risk-reward concepts. To effect a change in sov, you needed to commit.

This commitment was a major driver of conflict. When a sov war occured, it was a big deal.

EHP grinds may not has been that much fun, but that wasn't the point. Eve was never a "fun" game. Eve inherently is incapable of being a "fun" game. Designing Eve to compete vs other video games is a futile effort, as other games that are designed to be "fun" games will easily outcompete Eve on fun.

Eve has always been the "serious business" game. For all the tedium of Dominion sov, thousands upon thousands of us were willing to harden the **** up and deal with it, because it had permanence, because it had a high bar.

The only solution to the problems of Fozziesov is to scrap the whole thing, return to Dominion sov, and iterate upon a proven system.
Chessur
Full Broadside
Deepwater Hooligans
#97 - 2015-08-19 00:35:25 UTC
I like the changes so far- 4K/S seems nice.

Any thoughts on making Ihubs / TCUs dead space? Or having a dead space deployable?
Murkar Omaristos
The Alabaster Albatross
Unreasonable Bastards
#98 - 2015-08-19 00:37:54 UTC
Holy wall of text batman!

(he's right though)
Allawa Phantom
Zebra Corp
Goonswarm Federation
#99 - 2015-08-19 00:38:20 UTC
CCP Hire this guy
Falin Whalen
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#100 - 2015-08-19 00:39:18 UTC
I love it. CCP is putting out the fire with petrol.

"it's only because of their stupidity that they're able to be so sure of themselves." The Trial - Franz KafkaÂ