These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Carnyx release - General feedback

First post First post First post
Author
Judith Baker
Brave Empire Inc.
Brave United
#181 - 2015-06-02 16:28:01 UTC
Alt tabbing back into the game is much slower for me now in fullscreen mode.
Bravo Ghost
Perkone
Caldari State
#182 - 2015-06-02 16:28:44 UTC
Anyone else having a tough time adjusting to the new icons?

I find they look terrible especially when scaled and some of the icons just look like they belong in a pack-man game! Personally I would prefer the ability to make and import my own, having a decent knowledge of design software I am Sure I could make way better icons Attention

Thanks for trying CCP… What?
epicurus ataraxia
Illusion of Solitude.
Illusion of Solitude
#183 - 2015-06-02 16:30:09 UTC
Nami Miyasaki wrote:
The icons are awesome!

Objectively good artistic work.

Only reason why people dont like them is because they havent become used to associate the icons yet.

I regret to inform you that that is a steaming pile.......

We have had plenty of experience of these icons on SISI and more than enough time to adapt, IF you were correct.

You are not.

These issues were reported, multiple times, by many people, and in spite of being told our views were being taken account of, they were ignored. That is a valid choice I suppose, but now they will encounter the full mass of dissatisfaction. This could have been so easily avoided, by actually acting on the feedback.

The design is poor, but that can be lived with, however, apart from the mass blobs of icons in space overlaying each other into an illegible mess, icons of cruisers and below are just illegible and indistinguishable. Possibly OK with 20 year old eyes and 20/20 vision, but anyone else is so out of luck.

Please tell me how one "gets used" to something that cannot be clearly seen? Or is 30 years old the new blind? If one restricts the game to teenagers, well, one will get the customers one deserves.

There is one EvE. Many people. Many lifestyles. WE are EvE

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#184 - 2015-06-02 16:32:26 UTC
Removed an off topic post.

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode

Senior Lead

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

Violent Grey
Illicit Expo
#185 - 2015-06-02 16:34:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Violent Grey
sweet, today is a good day. I get my accounts re subbed and a new patch release... haha! good morning to everyone :P I like hte new ship skins, and the icons. great work!

I wonder how the sov changes will affect player gameplay, the influence and all...

Not a big fan of the theme song this time around but it is great for relaxing still.
Brad
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#186 - 2015-06-02 16:34:40 UTC
I'm getting crashes, stalls and bsods when using multiple clients now. Turning everything from high to low detail and using the launcher gives you about 5 mins while not using the launcher and max graphics crashes before the 2nd client loads. I never get crashes or bsods and I play all the latest. Everything is up to date driver wise. Sort it out pls

Mirija
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#187 - 2015-06-02 16:36:57 UTC
time to kick those designers , first that f**cked up UI-changes .. and now this Overview crap.

btw nice work on the caracal.
Malie Hakaari
Salvage and Mining Consortium
#188 - 2015-06-02 16:40:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Malie Hakaari
Holy **** who designed these icons?

Why do you insist on messing with things that were perfectly fine. At least give us an option to keep the old icons. The new ones are horrible.

POS icons, yuck! They're all boxy and horrible and wtf is that JB icon? It's like the old station icon with an arrow. The old one at least looked like a gate icon. The beacon icon? It looks like a ******* station icon. WHY, WHY, WHY!

Stacked icons for planet and moons and such is just a blurred mess, WHY!

I-hub is a giant I? Really? That's what the art department came up with? How fuckin original...

TCU looks like a shovel?

Why are guns and ewar batteries pratically the same icon, seriously, who is in your art department and do they play this game or did they just grad and figured they knew what they were doing and wanted to make it 'hip and boxy'

If you do not want to remove the new icons, FFS allow us to revert to the old ones. UI scaling sucks now, icons are not even close to the originals and are UGLY, let me repeat, they are UGLY.

Why the **** is a cruiser icon like a house?

Did the designers ever learn that "less is more"? Less "ornament" on icons is always better for people to distinguish important items. Why does an ambulance have a simple cross, it's not a gothic cross, it's not an ornamented to **** celtic cross, but a simple, clean cross. Completely not like your icons which have little dots, useless and hard to see variations from modules that do completely different things. You used to be able to look at things and instantly know what they were because the design was clean and there were distinct differences. Now it's like a throwback to a 1980's space-invaders or centipede game. WHY?

Seriously need to find a new role in the company for the person or team that designed these and did not listen to player feedback from SiSi.

Edit:

Why does the station services always have the "entosis" ring around them? Why not just have that appear when it's under attack? It just adds more clutter and six blurry circles to an already busy overview. It's very distracting. I think out of all icons, the station services is the only one that is okay, scrap the rest or allow a revert to the old, just please hide the ring until it's needed to be shown.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#189 - 2015-06-02 16:43:18 UTC
Bravo Ghost wrote:
Anyone else having a tough time adjusting to the new icons?

I find they look terrible especially when scaled and some of the icons just look like they belong in a pack-man game! Personally I would prefer the ability to make and import my own, having a decent knowledge of design software I am Sure I could make way better icons Attention

Thanks for trying CCP… What?

I'm not having a hard time adjusting, it's easy to adjust to them. What's not easy is understanding why someone thought this mess looked cool and why CCP felt the need to fix something that was functional enough the way it was. EVE with brackets on in a place with a lot of ships and structures looks terribly messy.
Shai 'Hulud
#190 - 2015-06-02 16:45:45 UTC
speed nerf 2.0 incoming?

The most useful slaves are those that believe themselves to be free

epicurus ataraxia
Illusion of Solitude.
Illusion of Solitude
#191 - 2015-06-02 16:47:00 UTC  |  Edited by: epicurus ataraxia
CCP Claymore wrote:
Steijn wrote:
Xen Solarus wrote:
So far, like the new symbols. Going to take a while to get used to, but it's going to be super useful to see ship sizes at a glance. Nicely done CCP! Cool

My biggest gripe is that EvE in windowed mode now dominates over all other programs. Nothing can be moved on top, browsers, team-speak, not even the damn launcher itself. Seriously, It's already ****ing me off big time. Anyone know a solution??

what UI scaling are you using? On 90% they are really bad.

We are aware of issues at 90% UI Scaling and we are looking at better ways to handle this.
The issue is with UI Scaling and not the new icons.

I respectfully disagree, whilst you may not want to believe it, the icons are poor and illigible for cruiser and below (size) at any scaling.

You chose not to believe this when it was mass reported on sisi, you may eventually accept it now Tranquility is reacting with shock as to how bad it is.

Just to clarify, in case you wish to use the argument that the playerbase is resistant to change, that needs qualifying.

The playerbase is resistant to BAD change.

There is one EvE. Many people. Many lifestyles. WE are EvE

Rio Bravo
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#192 - 2015-06-02 16:56:57 UTC
Impressed with everything...loved the shaders, some ships had a real improvement. Didn't scan all the modules yet...The Jackdaw better looking than I anticipated. The SOV changes...guess I will just wait and hear how others interpret the effects. The Drifters doing anything different? I hadn't noticed yet.
Like the Icons, especially the new ship specific ones. Didn't hear the music yet, but had my music off when I launched. My Rorqual is still unviable to use though, hope it changes when citidels are put online and have the 'proximity immunity' you mentioned in the dev post...

+1 CCP, I like it alot!

“You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. I dig.”  - Clint Eastwood, misquote.

Trajan Unknown
State War Academy
Caldari State
#193 - 2015-06-02 16:58:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Trajan Unknown
Thank you CCP for finally adding wing forms! The new icons not just make sense they are absolutely what I expected after the preview so to say.
The ship icons/wing forms are a pleasure to my eyes and after trying crowded areas I no longer need to fly without brackets in space when there are more than 10ships on grid. It safes me a lot of time to realise what´s on grid and what is not. For proper identification I have my tabs but to realise the grid situation they are simply perfect and for the ships it was more like a relief than something I have to get used to. The other icons are well, they make sense so I like them. Still feels a bit strange but that´s the case with every change.

Keep these small changes coming, the faster I can realise stuff the better it will be. The old icons were simply a pain in the butt and made no sense whatsoever. And for people like me who are used to wing forms and "logical" icons it was simply a no go to use them for anything meaningful.

edit: I totally forgot the new lightning stuff and models. Big hugs for the art team, the V5++ or how it´s called is awesome and the new ships are eye candies! I will blame the art team for some of my upcoming losses tho because of the diversion. Ship spinning is nice but out in space they look so much better and out there it´s cold and hostile. :P
Caloose
Evil Monkey Corp
#194 - 2015-06-02 16:58:41 UTC
I am not even in the game yet. Still stuck with a game that dont load...

Launcher is working but the game doesent start. ccp eve.exe is running in the background but the game doesent...

Whats going on here??

Any solutions??

I have an account that doesent do any training since just after downtime.

And after what i understand here on this post there will be like a big load of work to setup your game before you even can play..

Great!!!

Happy there is a music festival to attend to for 3 days :P
Camael An'geles
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#195 - 2015-06-02 17:01:36 UTC
Ivelios d'Sanquine
Ghetto Warlords
PURPLE HELMETED WARRIORS
#196 - 2015-06-02 17:02:03 UTC
Benito Arias wrote:
New brackets for ships, NPCs and drones are bad.

Ships come in a variety of messy shapes, while first and foremost they must be telling me it's a player ship. But no,

NPCs come in very same shapes, thus making it rather hard to tell PCs from NPCs at a glance.

In addition, drones come in a variety of messy shapes of their own (which look all alike) while not being important enough to deserve it. All I need to know it's a drone. More info on Drones tab in the overview.

When all three groups are present in a single PvP grid, things start to look messy. I cannot tell a Player from and NPCs from a drone from a wreck, because they look so much alike, with the tiny curves and dots that they are. The only way to get though is using mouse over tips and reading the overview which (suprise!) worked okay with old brackets.

It used to work like this: I see angle brackets (PCs), Red crosses (NPCs), slanted crosses (drones). At the very instant of looking at the icons I knew which group are they. If I care enough about any of them, I either mouse over them, or read the overview. This is not working anymore, because there's a dozen of different shapes in a single grid. What a mess!

Not talking about brackets for stationary objects (they are a mess, but much less relevant to me).

Frankly, these 'revamped' brackets are an utter fail.

This,

For people who have the time to read the different icons (while mining or missioning) this change might be welcoming but for a pvp'er the new changes are horrible. There are so much **** going on, on grid that you need a tool to quickly get a measure of what is what. differentiating between drones, ships, npc's, gates, planets, sun, wrecks are important in a pvp situation, and this change only complicates matters
biggiy
Arcurio Kilp
#197 - 2015-06-02 17:02:28 UTC
shame you didnt improve the sentry drones to make them more useful now there worse score to CCP good going guys
Zepheros Naeonis
TinklePee
#198 - 2015-06-02 17:03:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Zepheros Naeonis
New icons are incredibly confusing and just awful. I really saw nothing wrong with the old ones. There needs to be an option to switch between styles. I'm sure it can't be that hard to impliment.

On a positive note, Caracal looks bad ass. Much more sleek. Reminds me of something out of Robocop.
Natya Mebelle
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#199 - 2015-06-02 17:03:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Natya Mebelle
Eli Stan wrote:
Hi, Natya! o/ Big smile

While we are indeed not at a point where every ship type can be discerned by an in-space icon, we're a lot closer now than we were before when all we had were some differently sized squares, some of which were actually shared by differently sized ships.

I think CCP have gone far enough for an initial deployment of new icons. Now CCP just need to see how things shake out as players adjust to the new icons from use, rather than an initial gut reaction.

Actually it's extremely easy for me to tell neutral NPCs from other players after this patch. All players are colored to me - purple for fleetmates, red/yellow for legal lowsec targets, and teal for everybody else. It makes it extremely easy to pick out ships from non-ships on the overview.

Hello Eli *snickers*

You are right, we are closer now, but there are STILL ships which share icons with each other. So what is the purpose of overhauling an icon system when not even going the whole way? Delivering half finished products as "release" is nothing to be applauded for. I yield to your point with the "I don't need to know which exact type of Tech 2 cruiser". But do you think it would be important to see at a single glance if you are swarmed by a bunch of Merlins, or a bunch of either Harpies or Hawks? Or do you make this all out by looking at the ship type column to the side? *insert my wish to have multiple overview windows at once again*

But we had those feedback on sisi, and it was profoundly ignored? And again, why only do half the work?

Well, okay, but that means you had to customize the User interface in the first place to make this distinction. Not everybody wants that or does that. So why screw these players who don't want to? The mini-icons on the bottom corners can even obfuscate the new icons to make them even harder to read. Colouring them to your preference also is prone to miscommunication. I remember during a roam, and I think it was you in there too, where people discussed about the colour of an enemy in lowsec, and people got confused because individuals had different colours used.

So, I hope you don't get the impression I'm bashing on your opinion c: I just want to remind you what you said above: It works for you because you have already customized things way before the patch. If we want to make an objective verdict on the new icons then we need to take every aspect of players into consideration, and this means there are more disadvantages than benefits to the new icons, EVEN if I pretend that I already got used to them and the memory and association lanes in my head work fine.
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#200 - 2015-06-02 17:03:39 UTC
The icon of my own ship (the bracket when I press Alt) is still the old square/rectangle bracket.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.