These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

PLEX for Good lets help Nepal!

First post First post
Author
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#21 - 2015-04-26 21:53:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Sabriz Adoudel
Will contribute to this if it happens.

Edit: I will not be influenced by any give aways linked to contributing to PLEX for Good. Skins, clothing, ships, whatever - I'll be giving the same amount either way.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#22 - 2015-04-27 00:29:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Khergit Deserters
Oh man.... I guess we can be thankful that it was in early Spring, and not mid-Winter. Probably still damn chilly around the clock, I bet. Count one more in please.
Moac Tor
Cyber Core
Immediate Destruction
#23 - 2015-04-27 00:50:54 UTC
This may come across as harsh, but eve is a sci fi game completely unrelated to politics and real world affairs, there are plenty of charities out there which we can choose to donate our money too if we wish such as the Red Cross.

*prepares for barrage of rotten tomatoes*
Rawketsled
Generic Corp Name
#24 - 2015-04-27 01:01:10 UTC
I have spare ISK. Count me in.
Carmen Electra
AlcoDOTTE
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#25 - 2015-04-27 01:23:01 UTC
Moac Tor wrote:
This may come across as harsh, but eve is a sci fi game completely unrelated to politics and real world affairs, there are plenty of charities out there which we can choose to donate our money too if we wish such as the Red Cross.

No rotten tomatoes, I think the whole point though is that those other charities don't turn ISK into humanitarian aid.
Mario Putzo
#26 - 2015-04-27 01:34:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Mario Putzo
Moac Tor wrote:

EVE is also populated by a community of people, a community that has several times in the past come together to make a large sum donations to the Icelandic Red Cross for various natural disasters. IIRC PLEX for Good has provided in the neighborhood of 350K USD since its inception.

If you choose to donate to a charity on your own, that is great, but the PLEX for good program was designed and exists for situations just as this, and our community has and will hopefully continue to step up to the plate.

And i suppose there is some selfishness in going through PLEX for good, and not a private donation. It shines a positive light on our community, one that is typically displayed as a cut throat environment full of psychopaths and sycophants. Not to mention not many charities accept ISK as a donation(none?).
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#27 - 2015-04-27 01:37:10 UTC
Carmen Electra wrote:
Moac Tor wrote:

No rotten tomatoes, I think the whole point though is that those other charities don't turn ISK into humanitarian aid.

Yep. PLEX for Good is a CCP-approved RMT system where the RMT income goes to charity.

Someone (Amarr Citizen 155) gave 1250 PLEX last time. I have no idea if the human behind that character could have afforded to donate USD 18k out of their own wallet, but by effectively RMTing their trillion ISK (with CCP approval) that is what they were able to give to the Icelandic Red Cross's relief fund for the Phillipines after Haiyan.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Moac Tor
Cyber Core
Immediate Destruction
#28 - 2015-04-27 01:58:59 UTC
Well I won't dissuade people from trying to do a good thing, the Red Cross is most likely a better option though, and the money will also go towards tackling many other crises.

With regards to isk being used, in the end it is still all converted to $ and then taken out of the game, and out of CCPs budget.
Mario Putzo
#29 - 2015-04-27 02:09:01 UTC
Moac Tor wrote:
Well I won't dissuade people from trying to do a good thing, the Red Cross is most likely a better option though, and the money will also go towards tackling many other crises.

With regards to isk being used, in the end it is still all converted to $ and then taken out of the game, and out of CCPs budget.

Well CCP donates on behalf of the community to the Icelandic Red Cross, so its still going into the hands of the folks who are experienced in dealing with relief provisions.

The isk isn't taken from the game, it works exactly like buying PLEX from the market does ordinarily, instead of consuming that PLEX for personal use, it is contracted to "someone from CCP" and then I imagine destroyed. The money comes from people seeding PLEX to the market, and yes this ultimately results in CCP using some of its profits (not budget) as a donation on behalf of the community.

Hope this helps clear up the process!
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2015-04-27 03:26:37 UTC

I have lived in Kath for a little while now, and I was in my room Saturday morning when the 7.8 hit. 40 hours later, I'm still alive because of the metal desk that stood more or less intact against the collapsed structure, wood and cement, of the house I was in. My situation really doesn't compare to a lot of people who are stuck here and in much worse condition.. I was only in danger of suffocation and some dehydration. After I was pulled out, I couldn't locate most of the people I know in the city, it's very hard to understand what's happened to them. I'm lucky.. my brother located me and I am travelling to get medical help in India.. the situation in Kath is very grave with many people injured and very little space to keep them warm or safe. From what I understand many rescue groups are coming in to help.

The earthquake was near equal in magnitude to the 7.9 that hit San Francisco in 1906, which is regarded as one of the worst natural disasters in the US. Both earthquakes have claimed upwards of 3,000 lives. The Nepali quake was at a very shallow depth (10-11 miles I believe), so the devastation is very widespread. There are people in India as far down as Kolkata who have fissures down their walls and foundations from the aftershocks alone.

I think we spend money on a lot of things, and if you can give even a little bit to Red Cross, or to CCP if they open up PLEX For Good, then I think it would be a good thing.

This doesn't lessen the pain and suffering of humans and non humans anywhere else in the world.. and there is a lot of suffering the world over.. but something really horrible happened in Nepal Saturday morning, and every little bit of help would go a long way.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#31 - 2015-04-27 04:05:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Is a huge relief Sib.

A few of us have been worried since it happened and all been sending positive thoughts your way.

Is a perfect example of why this is not about a bunch of gamers, but about the community we have in eve.

A PLEX for Good drive allows a guy to jump in his space ship, go earn ISK, buy a PLEX and turn that PLEX into aid on the ground. Even for members of the community who can't afford to send aid themselves, their time invested in playing Eve can have a real impact on the recovery of someone else's life half way around the World. That's not a small thing.
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#32 - 2015-04-27 04:09:23 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:

I have lived in Kath for a little while now, and I was in my room Saturday morning when the 7.8 hit. 40 hours later, I'm still alive because of the metal desk that stood more or less intact against the collapsed structure, wood and cement, of the house I was in. My situation really doesn't compare to a lot of people who are stuck here and in much worse condition.. I was only in danger of suffocation and some dehydration. After I was pulled out, I couldn't locate most of the people I know in the city, it's very hard to understand what's happened to them. I'm lucky.. my brother located me and I am travelling to get medical help in India.. the situation in Kath is very grave with many people injured and very little space to keep them warm or safe. From what I understand many rescue groups are coming in to help.

Shocked

Holy crap! I've lived through some scary things, but a big earthquake ain't one of them.

I hope you, your brother, and your friends all come out of this mostly intact. Bad enough to lose a house, but that's nothing compared to losing a loved one.

Mr Epeen Cool

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#33 - 2015-04-27 04:11:43 UTC
Commissar Kate
Kesukka
#34 - 2015-04-27 04:14:54 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:

The earthquake was near equal in magnitude to the 7.9 that hit San Francisco in 1906, which is regarded as one of the worst natural disasters in the US. Both earthquakes have claimed upwards of 3,000 lives. The Nepali quake was at a very shallow depth (10-11 miles I believe), so the devastation is very widespread. There are people in India as far down as Kolkata who have fissures down their walls and foundations from the aftershocks alone.

I think we spend money on a lot of things, and if you can give even a little bit to Red Cross, or to CCP if they open up PLEX For Good, then I think it would be a good thing.

This doesn't lessen the pain and suffering of humans and non humans anywhere else in the world.. and there is a lot of suffering the world over.. but something really horrible happened in Nepal Saturday morning, and every little bit of help would go a long way.

Oh wow Sibs, so glad you are ok. Now lets hope help can get to everyone else soon.
Arkady Vachon
The Gold Angels
Sixth Empire
#35 - 2015-04-27 04:23:30 UTC
Sending you good thoughts, Sib.

Nothing Personal - Just Business...

Chaos Creates Content

Carmen Electra
AlcoDOTTE
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#36 - 2015-04-27 04:38:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Carmen Electra
Sibyyl wrote:
I was only in danger of suffocation and some dehydration.

I'm not sure I want to know what you would consider worthy of not being qualified with "only". Am very glad you are more-or-less ok.
Arkady Vachon
The Gold Angels
Sixth Empire
#37 - 2015-04-27 04:42:00 UTC
Mt. Everest Basecamp Hit By Avalanche LANGUAGE WARNING

Filmed by a German climber at Mt. Everest BC on the south side.

at least 20 dead there, more than 200 missing, and another 100 or so climbers stranded in camps higher up on the mountain. The only way down back to base camp besides helicopter from the higher camps is a route through the treacherous khumbu icefall, and the preset route was destroyed.

Just one more portion of the greater situation.

Nothing Personal - Just Business...

Chaos Creates Content

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#38 - 2015-04-27 05:23:07 UTC

Thanks everyone. Hope you guys are ok too.

Mario, maybe this would be useful in OP.

American Red Cross donation page:
https://www.redcross.org/combined-donate?donationProdId=prod9150029

UK Red Cross (thanks baltec1):
http://www.redcross.org.uk/nepalearthquake

UNICEF:
https://www.unicefusa.org/donate/nepal-earthquake-help-children-now/24226

PayPal:
https://www.paypal-donations.com/pp-charity/web.us/campaign.jsp?cid=35

Apple iTunes (donates to Red Cross):
http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/26/itunes-nepal-earthquake-relief/

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Falken Falcon
#39 - 2015-04-27 05:31:16 UTC
Glad to know you are ok Sib.

My thoughts go for those who have lost friends and family.

+1 Plex

Aye, Sea Turtles

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#40 - 2015-04-27 05:39:47 UTC