These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Let's talk about Capitals and Supercapitals

First post First post
Author
bonkerss
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#201 - 2015-04-02 09:43:18 UTC
Iroquoiss Pliskin wrote:
Skia Aumer wrote:
SilentAsTheGrave wrote:
Null battles is a game of numbers. Each side has a combined total EHP and alpha strength versus the other side who is EHP and alpha. If you do not bring enough alpha to kill an enemy ship before reps land - YOU LOSE. Sans a lucky bomber run or picking up the Batphone - YOU HAVE LOST in the first couple seconds. Why bother sticking around if you can't break any tanks? Meanwhile the other side is picking off your ships left and right further compounding the issue.

As long as the targeting system in EVE stays as it is with no form of line of sight, not much will change when it comes to EHP and Alpha meta.

Great post, you're spot on!
EHP vs alpha meta is the plague of large scale fight. Capital ships with their enormous EHP only emphasize this problem.
But the remedy may not be in "friendly fire" (if I understand your words correctly). Inducing some sort of diminishing returns on remote reps could very well fix the situation.

I still think that logistics repair and cap transfer has become true cancer.

Used to be times, when tanks were local - Much more dynamic fights developed with often unpredictable outcomes.

logistics are to strong on smaller ships. if we encounter a subcap gang with carrier support we won't engage. its just pointless. nerving logistics would really make pvp much more interesting and dangerous. which would be good for all :)
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#202 - 2015-04-02 11:32:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Serendipity Lost
We need a Blood Raider dread that fits capital nuets. Something that can suck the jump drive ability right out of 2 or 3 other capital ships, turn of their officer smartbombs and officer tanks.

We need a Guristas dread that fits capital ECM. A high slot capital ECM module that can straight up jam one super / module. A capital jam that totally shuts it down. No locking, no drone/FB/fighter functionality. Some cool sound happens and locks go away and deployed drones just go idle and any boosting in progress just stops.

These new capital modules would only fit on their associated racial dreads. No putting capital nuets / capital ecm on any other ships.
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#203 - 2015-04-02 11:41:43 UTC
bonkerss wrote:
Iroquoiss Pliskin wrote:
Skia Aumer wrote:
SilentAsTheGrave wrote:
Null battles is a game of numbers. Each side has a combined total EHP and alpha strength versus the other side who is EHP and alpha. If you do not bring enough alpha to kill an enemy ship before reps land - YOU LOSE. Sans a lucky bomber run or picking up the Batphone - YOU HAVE LOST in the first couple seconds. Why bother sticking around if you can't break any tanks? Meanwhile the other side is picking off your ships left and right further compounding the issue.

As long as the targeting system in EVE stays as it is with no form of line of sight, not much will change when it comes to EHP and Alpha meta.

Great post, you're spot on!
EHP vs alpha meta is the plague of large scale fight. Capital ships with their enormous EHP only emphasize this problem.
But the remedy may not be in "friendly fire" (if I understand your words correctly). Inducing some sort of diminishing returns on remote reps could very well fix the situation.

I still think that logistics repair and cap transfer has become true cancer.

Used to be times, when tanks were local - Much more dynamic fights developed with often unpredictable outcomes.

logistics are to strong on smaller ships. if we encounter a subcap gang with carrier support we won't engage. its just pointless. nerving logistics would really make pvp much more interesting and dangerous. which would be good for all :)

Carrier supported subcaps in wh allow a small group of guys to hold their own against superior numbers. Putting that carrier on the field puts it at risk, but allows smaller folks to fight above their weight class. On the grand scale outside of wh - I can see your point.

To be fair though, we ran into some dudes in lowsex a few nights back. They outnumbered us. We were thinking about having a go anyway. Then we saw that their fleet was 30% guardians. We rolled that route closed and looked elsewhere. My point: you don't need a carrier to make a fight stupid, you can roll wh style w/ 30% guardians and a pile of T3 cruisers.

We're a small group that likes small fights. As soon as we see 4 or more logi - we look for a different fight.

Overall the logi thing is tough. The bottom line is an FC can pretty much always choose to bring a soul crushing amount of logi and make any potential fight dumb. I wish I had a good answer to risk aversion, but I don't.
Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#204 - 2015-04-02 13:44:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Iroquoiss Pliskin
Serendipity Lost wrote:
We need a Blood Raider dread that fits capital nuets. Something that can suck the jump drive ability right out of 2 or 3 other capital ships, turn of their officer smartbombs and officer tanks.

We need a Guristas dread that fits capital ECM. A high slot capital ECM module that can straight up jam one super / module. A capital jam that totally shuts it down. No locking, no drone/FB/fighter functionality. Some cool sound happens and locks go away and deployed drones just go idle and any boosting in progress just stops.

These new capital modules would only fit on their associated racial dreads. No putting capital nuets / capital ecm on any other ships.

Never ending escalations in the arms race, ending in complete failure-cascade and the destruction of Eve.

Is this tongue in cheek or serious?

I'm done with this thread.

LOL
Phoenix Jones
Small-Arms Fire
#205 - 2015-04-02 15:00:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Phoenix Jones
Iroquoiss Pliskin wrote:
stuff

The concept of supercarriers being rare or a coalition asset needs to be iterated on itself. You make something like the Nyx a iconic ship, but you make it so that people must join one of 3 or 4 groups just to even contemplate boarding it, flying it, and affording it.

We're going the wrong way with trying to make supercarriers more super, because we bottleneck the access of these ships and limit it just to an elite few, who clog up the production lines by buying them all, and back up its use by blabbing with them. So your single supercarrier, which you are proud of and want to fly, causes you to be in a coffin because it will never match up to their 100 supercarriers, will be alphasd by 10 Titans, and will cost you a horrible amount of isk that you would not even contemplate using it because it's too much isk to risk without an ungodly amount of backup.

Now I'm not saying that it should, but I am saying that it should not require you to jump ship with the group you like because now "I've enter led supercarrier flying, I must join these people if I actually want to fly it". We need to bring them in line with dreads and carriers, and make them as affordable as dreads and carriers by removing them as a alliance or coalition managed resource. I already discussed how to earlier in the thread (you keep your invested value).

Ultimately you get to fly your nyx, and if you lose it, it's not a big deal because you now didn't just whelp 20 billion isk.

Leave the supercapital realm solely to the revenant (it's a pirate ship and extremely rare), and the titan.

Let's free the supercarrier from the coffin it causes people to live in.

Yaay!!!!

Tykonderoga
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#206 - 2015-04-02 15:45:30 UTC
Phoenix Jones wrote:
Everybody here seems to keep circling the same basic concept but are ignoring the overall condition they have put the playerbase in. Alliances have been bound to camping moons, repeatedly going over the same assets in order to assess as many supercapitals as possible. The gameplay for them has ground to a hault because of their power, because of their cost, because of their name. Trying to balance the supercarrier won't work. Modes, super switching, increased abilities and new projection does not fix the underlying base that they stagnate game play because they do too much, replace too much, have no roles and cost too much. We need to define and narrow their scope and make them worthwhile to fly for the masses, not just the top players that have the backing of a alliance. We want smaller scales and more active risk of the ships. We want to be able to not need two dozen accounts worth of supercarrier sitters in order to enjoy it, or a 20 billion isk bankroll just to afford one.

We need a way to keep the value of investment the player put into the ship, but make the ship affordable, useful, and fun to play... and not a series of crying sessions because you got bated, or need a slew of titans in order to slay it.

Here are my thoughts summarized. I wrote out more but I don't want to hijack the thread.

1. We rename the supercarrier and bring them in line with the Dread and Carrier capital class. No more super, just a capital. Lets name them Raiders.

2. We reduce the price by 90%. Raiders should cost between a dread and a carrier (1.5 to 2.2 billion isk per Raider).

3. Third, we give the players the value of that ship back, but not just in isk, but with hulls of the updated ship. If a supercarrier is worth 20 billion isk upon recycle, the person gains 10 Raiders, with full docking privileges. No build requirements or waiting. Instantly, turn in a decommissioned supercarrier, get 10 Raiders (of the racial ship type of the supercarrier being decommissioned).

4. We give the ship a definitive role. The Raider is an assault style craft that uses its racial weapon/guns and Fighters/Fighter Bombers. It has its own version of a triage/siege module, except that the module increases its natural defense (added resistance, similar to the Bastion Module) and increases its offense (added damage to fighters/bombers) while active.

5. Drop the raiders shield, armor and hull hit points down to Carrier and Dread levels. Its own defensive module will provided the extra tank in situations.

6. Drop the immunities off the Raider Class ships. It is no longer needed.

7. We remove all of the Raiders remote rep and cap transfer capabilities. This should stay solely in the realm of the Carrier.

8. We remove the fleet array off the Raider and we swap the SMA's of the Raider and the Carrier (let us let the carrier be a carrier, we also keep the need for Carriers for doing equipment swaps with Raiders).

9. We keep the models of the Nyx, Aeon, Hel and Wyvern the same for the raider. We increase the visual size of carriers by 50%, to account for its ability to carry large amounts of ships.

10. We decommission the supercarriers (give the players a time span to dock a super, and allow them to do a immediate swap of their decommissioned supercarrier into the Raider capital (which they would get 10 of, for each supercarrier they decommission). After a time span, keep the supers ability to dock, but disable its offensive and defensive capabilities. So if someone wants to whelp a decommissioned Nyx, they can, they just won't get anything in return.

11. The Revenant... stays a super-carrier with all of its stats and abilities. It does not get touched (Immunities included)

What you do is free a person from being solely reliant on a mega large corporation or alliance, and allow them to fly offensively, even very riskly, with a capital class ship that has a purpose and a role.

ArrowThe Carrier
A logistical defensive platform, capable of bringing a army with them and having the ability to drop and retrofit ships on the fly (you lose a ship in a fight, have the carrier drop a ship out of its sma, continue the fight before you get podded).

ArrowThe Dreadnought
A Siege platform made to break the lines and siege capitals. You want to do max damage, break a capitals rep, or take out a titan, this is what you bring.

ArrowThe Raider
A Fighter/Fighter bomber platform made to assault the field, capable of fending off a small gang of subcaps with its increased defensive resilience and fighter damage, or assault a capital fleet with its capital guns and fighter bombers.

If you lose one Raider, you are not instantly broke, out 20 billion isk, and the alliance is under no obligation to front you 20 billion isk (because they are now 2 billion), and you have at least 9 more of them to whelp before you have to worry. So you want to fly a Nyx and not be completely terrified every single time you log on, you can now. If you lose it... no big deal, I have 9 more. No need for sitter accounts for my ships, because I can dock a Raider.
No modes, no odd skills or effects... just a whole new ship type to fly.

Please uninstall the game, just uninstall it.
SilentAsTheGrave
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#207 - 2015-04-02 16:17:56 UTC
If CCP changes it where capitals can only refit while docked or inside a POS with a ship maintenance bay AND extend that restriction to any kind of 'mode' switching for capitals; then and only then can we break away from this Swiss Army Knife meta that is capitals.

Some people talk about players should put things at risk, but having a capital ship that can change on the fly to whatever the situation needs just entrenches it into the only ship a player needs to bring. Oh and maybe relook at capitals taking gates and using these warp speed modules.
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#208 - 2015-04-02 17:14:12 UTC
Iroquoiss Pliskin wrote:
Serendipity Lost wrote:

Never ending escalations in the arms race, ending in complete failure-cascade and the destruction of Eve.

Is this tongue in cheek or serious?

I'm done with this thread.

LOL

I see this more as a new twist. A means to add some new options to an old combat arena. I'm not asking for more damage or more EHP, so nothing is being escallated. I just think these would be some nice fresh features to add to the mix.

It's serious. I think the option of bringing some serious cap warfare to large capital ship engagements would be sweet. I think having a counter to ewar immunity (at 1 billion isk per pop) is reasonable. A ship that can siege up and do some serious neuting/jamming would be great for the game.

Sure it might chip away at the current 'super safe supers' meta, but I really don't see a down side to that.
Dentia Caecus
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#209 - 2015-04-02 21:00:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Dentia Caecus
This thread has some fantastic ideas regarding roles for capital ships once the new structures and sov changes are in TQ; however, I am deeply concerned for the rorqual. Current issues aside, unless changes are made on a going forward basis, I am not certain it will be a viable platform. Specifically, without a pos bubble in which to operate, the rorq is a sitting duck. Yes, it can boost while it is not deployed, but there is no point boosting with an un-deployed rorqual; the orca is a wiser choice for a host of reasons.

As each of you know, the rorqual must be deployed to apply its best boosts or crush, a role that is admittedly almost useless following the introduction of compression arrays. Since a deployed rorqual is unable to escape an attack while outside a pos bubble until the vessel exists deployed mode, it both will and should be target number one in any given system. Potentially, it could sit deployed near a large, gunned structure, but a fleet consisting of smaller high dps ships, say destroyers or bombers, could probably escape serious loss while taking down a capital ship. I have no problem with risk vs reward; however, the current rorqual mechanic applied to bubble-less "posses" seems to reveal a severe imbalance. Frankly, a deployed rorqual in the new sov/structure system is impracticable at best and realistically is not sensible vessel to use under most circumstances. It is unlikely to be utilized much, if at all, except in the deepest, most defensible parts of null sec, if those exist post sov changes, and certainly not by small and medium sized alliances.

I do not have a "fix;" however, I have collected several ideas. I am not espousing a particular idea, but instead hope to both include the rorqual in this well developed thread and generate more ideas for changes to this vessel from the community.

In no particular order, following are some ideas I have collected. They should not be perceived as stacking, some, none,one, or a combination of these ideas could be applied. Frankly, none of them seem to be the answer and I fervently hope further ideas are generated:

- Allow the rorqual to apply its best boosts outside of transformer mode
- If no pos bubble is permanent, give the rorqual a native +2 warp strength
- Remove both the industrial core and the industrial reconfiguration skill and refund the associated skill points since the compression array essentially obviates this function, thus freeing a high slot
- Allow the rorqual to fit a triage module but apply the bonuses to local tank only; when in triage mode, the rorqual cannot provide mining boosts
- Shorten the jump range by 1/2 while significantly buffing local tanking abilities to prevent the so called battle rorq from creeping into other capital roles

As previously stated, none of these seem to be a perfect solution, but I sincerely hope this is a good starting point for further conversation.
CompleteFailure
DAWGS Corp.
SL0W CHILDREN AT PLAY
#210 - 2015-04-03 01:09:00 UTC
Soldarius wrote:

Mode swapping can be done much simpler and easier by removing some of the hull bonuses and moving them plus some of the sane proposed bonuses to new high-slot modules, 1 for each mode. They should be active modules, limited to 1 active at a time with your suggested 5 minute cycle time. Then you have he option of fitting which ever module(s) you want.

There's your mode switching, Because active modules, they are vulnerable to neuts. And there would be a trade off for fitting all 4. You won't have a bunch of utility highs for reps, cap xfers, or drone mods. Or you could just fit one and use the rest of your slots to fit appropriately.

The obvious abuse case would be refitting off of another carrier or mobile depot. But you can do that already. And the long cycle time means you can't switch at the first sign of trouble. This allows time for counterplay.

And as long as we're talking about supers and titans, remove EWAR immunity. Make buffs to the related stats so that they are very strong vs EWAR. But not immune. Really high sensor strength, warp core strength, locking range, etc.

Some pretty solid proposals/comprimises here IMO, this is probably the right direction to at least start looking at.
Kazaheid Zaknafein
Zaknafein Tactical Reconnaissance
#211 - 2015-04-03 03:08:43 UTC
Increasing the base stats of capitals; particularly Warp Core strength, would be a huge step in the right direction. Having a 2.5km long ship tackled by a single frigate is kind of ridiculous. Make it not immune to ewar, but have 150-300 sensor strength, a +3 to warp core. This would make the pilots a bit more bold, but make those hunting capitals have to work in better groups.
Dr Cedric
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#212 - 2015-04-03 03:42:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Dr Cedric
Kazaheid Zaknafein wrote:
Increasing the base stats of capitals; particularly Warp Core strength, would be a huge step in the right direction. Having a 2.5km long ship tackled by a single frigate is kind of ridiculous. Make it not immune to ewar, but have 150-300 sensor strength, a +3 to warp core. This would make the pilots a bit more bold, but make those hunting capitals have to work in better groups.

Possibly not the best place for this comment, but increasing Warp Core strength to 2 on BS might be a way to get them out a bit more often!

A lone capital shouldn't be a sitting duck waiting to get pointed and held in place by any single ship other than the one dedicated to stopping them solo -OR- a group of pilots purposely fit to stopping it.

On the other hand, Capitals should always be Fleet support ships, as I mentioned earlier, and should need support ships to be worthwhile against sub-capitals.

Cedric

Phoenix Jones
Small-Arms Fire
#213 - 2015-04-03 13:46:01 UTC
Dentia Caecus wrote:
This thread has some fantastic ideas regarding roles for capital ships once the new structures and sov changes are in TQ; however, I am deeply concerned for the rorqual. Current issues aside, unless changes are made on a going forward basis, I am not certain it will be a viable platform. Specifically, without a pos bubble in which to operate, the rorq is a sitting duck. Yes, it can boost while it is not deployed, but there is no point boosting with an un-deployed rorqual; the orca is a wiser choice for a host of reasons.

As each of you know, the rorqual must be deployed to apply its best boosts or crush, a role that is admittedly almost useless following the introduction of compression arrays. Since a deployed rorqual is unable to escape an attack while outside a pos bubble until the vessel exists deployed mode, it both will and should be target number one in any given system. Potentially, it could sit deployed near a large, gunned structure, but a fleet consisting of smaller high dps ships, say destroyers or bombers, could probably escape serious loss while taking down a capital ship. I have no problem with risk vs reward; however, the current rorqual mechanic applied to bubble-less "posses" seems to reveal a severe imbalance. Frankly, a deployed rorqual in the new sov/structure system is impracticable at best and realistically is not sensible vessel to use under most circumstances. It is unlikely to be utilized much, if at all, except in the deepest, most defensible parts of null sec, if those exist post sov changes, and certainly not by small and medium sized alliances.

I do not have a "fix;" however, I have collected several ideas. I am not espousing a particular idea, but instead hope to both include the rorqual in this well developed thread and generate more ideas for changes to this vessel from the community.

In no particular order, following are some ideas I have collected. They should not be perceived as stacking, some, none,one, or a combination of these ideas could be applied. Frankly, none of them seem to be the answer and I fervently hope further ideas are generated:

- Allow the rorqual to apply its best boosts outside of transformer mode
- If no pos bubble is permanent, give the rorqual a native +2 warp strength
- Remove both the industrial core and the industrial reconfiguration skill and refund the associated skill points since the compression array essentially obviates this function, thus freeing a high slot
- Allow the rorqual to fit a triage module but apply the bonuses to local tank only; when in triage mode, the rorqual cannot provide mining boosts
- Shorten the jump range by 1/2 while significantly buffing local tanking abilities to prevent the so called battle rorq from creeping into other capital roles

As previously stated, none of these seem to be a perfect solution, but I sincerely hope this is a good starting point for further conversation.

The rorqual needs a complete reimagining. Honestly I've always thought of the orca of more of a fleet mining booster. I've always imagined the rorqual to be more of a moon mining ship. I'd have a definite role, and permit the players to interact with moons rather than interact with pos's to go interact with moons.

Yaay!!!!

Tykonderoga
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#214 - 2015-04-03 15:20:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Tykonderoga
Dear people who don't have caps and supercaps: Play the game for a long time or buy plex and then get caps and supers. They are not broken. Your idea of being enitled to an equal battlefield is what is screwed up. Yes, it is you who are broken.
Veskrashen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#215 - 2015-04-03 20:07:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Veskrashen
Screw it, might as well spitball out some ideas while everyone else is doing it.

To me, these ships need to have defined, non-overlapping roles in order to ensure they each are viable and provide for interesting gameplay. They also need to ensure that they don't become massively overpowered in N+1 situations.

So, here's my ideas regarding roles:

1. CARRIERS - These have evolved to become mainline capital combat ships, and I think they need to retain that role to a large degree. I similarly feel that their ability to support the logi role while out of triage is too powerful. So, I suggest crafting the Carrier to be a mainline, flexible DPS ship while retaining logistics capability while in Triage.

- The ability of Carriers to use non-fighter combat drones should be significantly reduced. Split the drone bay to something like a dedicated Fighter bay and a much, much smaller Drone bay. Something along the lines of enough Fighter storage to carry a full flight plus some replacements - call it a full base flight of 5-10 fighters and a full replacement flight of 5. Drone bay capacity should be somewhere on the order of 500-1000m3 or so.
- Give Carriers a role bonus to Fighter damage / tank like the Guristas ships, minimizing server lag and the need to carry a bazillion fighters around. Remove the Drone Control Unit, balancing fighter damage to approximately 1000 or so DPS.
- Nerf the hell out of Capital Remote Reps, making them about 2x as powerful as Large Remote Reps of the same size. Base repair amount should be around 100-150 HP/sec. Remove role bonuses to rep amount and rep range.
- Rebalance the Triage module to ensure that Carriers are able to push out as much rep power as currently on TQ. This would mean shifting the role bonuses to the Triage module, and increasing the rep bonus.
- Give Carriers turret and launcher hardpoints. Create Capital sized guns designed to allow Carriers to push out BS-level DPS in the 800-1000 range with guns, using Large ammo. Basically Captial Autocannon / Pulse / Blaster batteries with BS grade tracking and range. Only allow short range gun variants, to prevent long range high alpha sniper duels.
- Entosis link penalty is only 2x instead of the 5x of other capital ships.

This ought to give you a tough mainline DPS ship, with flexible DPS able to apply against subcaps and capitals. Total DPS from a mainline fit should be somewhere in the 2000-2500 range, assuming a tank. At the same time, the ability to spidertank to hell is greatly reduced, and your ability to project damage is highly dependent on Fighters, which can be killed. Turret damage is relatively short range (I'm thinking that on average projecting gun damage past about 50km should be difficult without specifically fitting for it), and can be impacted by TDs etc as usual. They can still fill both the logistics and damage roles, but in order to gain the most out of their reps they both have to sacrifice potential DPS and to leave them vulnerable to incoming DPS. Having a smaller Entosis link penalty makes these a natural choice for major Fozziesov battles, and mounting a Triage module with a solid local tank should allow them to be viable in a lot of situations.

2. DREADNOUGHTS – If Carriers are the mainline, flexible capital combat ship, Dreads are specialized beasts designed for one thing and one thing only: murdering other capitals. They should be tough, with beastly local reps, and MASSIVE outgoing damage.
- Buff the hell out of the Siege Module. Like massively increase the outgoing DPS, on the order of 100% or so. I’d love to see Dreads in the 20k DPS range in a tanky fit. At the same time, massively decrease their damage application while in Siege. They should have an INCREDIBLY hard time applying damage to anything smaller than a Carrier, and should ideally need support to apply full DPS to moving Carriers.
- Buff the Siege Module to give significantly increased resistances while in Siege Mode, along the lines of the Bastion Module. The aim should be for a T2 fitted Dread to have a local tank somewhere in the 35-40k range (while cap boosters etc last).
This should produce a pretty hard counter to Carrier fleets, at least as long as they’re on field. Their DPS out of Siege will be pretty anemic, and hard to apply to subcaps. At the same time, their DPS *in* Siege will be FEARSOME. With the lowered out of Triage rep power of Carriers, having Dreads on field should cause some interesting choices to be made. At the same time, Dreads will be very vulnerable to subcap fleets, and neuts / Focused Void Bombs in particular.

***CONTINUED***

We Gallente have a saying: "CCP created the Gallente Militia to train the Fighters..."

Veskrashen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#216 - 2015-04-03 20:08:56 UTC
3. SUPERCARRIERS – These should become the premier fleet support ship. The intent here is to allow Supercarriers to be the ship that all the big fleets want in support, which form the core around which the fleet is formed. It should have incredible utility and power, while not being an invincible spidertanking DPS platform.

- Enable up to X amount of mooring slots on the Supercarrier, in return for a reduced Ship Maintenance Array. Ships moored to the SC move and jump with the SC, *but accrue no jump fatigue*. Capacity should be limited by mass, number, and of course to subcapitals only. This would give SCs a very unique role in aiding fleet mobility, which will be more critical in Fozziesov.
- Create a new high slot module, call it Uberdank Boost Module Of Doom +5 or something. Four versions, which duplicate the current Titan fleet bonuses – as a passive effect for having it fitted and online. When activated, also increases the effectiveness of any fitted gang links by X%, which would give SCs boost bonuses significantly more powerful than command ships. Module requires fuel, immobile, can’t receive remote assistance, etc. In return, you get Siege Module level resistance and rep bonuses.
- Fighter Bomber DPS balanced the same way as for Carriers, with max of 5 Fighters or FBs deployed at a time. Significantly increase the fighter bay to allow an SC to carry about 50 or so regular Fighters.
- Allow SCs to fit highslot Drone Control Units. DCUs allow the SC to deploy up to an additional 5 Fighters (NOT FBs). DCUs also allow the SC to assign fighters to other ships, in the same manner as the old Carrier mechanic. DCUs prevent move / warp / etc, but the SC can still receive remote assistance. No resistance or repair amount bonuses, and cycle time should be long – on the order of about 10 minutes.

This gives you a ship with some very powerful bonuses that impact fleets, potentially far more than available through regular fleet boosts. Placing the Titan bonuses in a module to some degree alleviates the “crap built / trained the wrong race” problem, and increases flexibility to some extent in fleet comps. At the same time, gaining these extra effects comes at a significant cost in terms of mobility and defense. The mooring / jumping combo allows a SC to act as a significant mobility enhancer in fleets. It even gives back a vesion of the old Skyne

4. TITAN – Biggest ship in the game, currently it is split between POS-hugging mobile bridge, fleet booster, and DD platform. To narrow the roles and further specialize, I propose making the Titan the ultimate platform of death and destruction.

- Remove the current Titan fleet bonuses, remove the ability to fit Fleet Boost modules.
- Nerf Titan jump bridge range, to something on the order of 2.5-3 LY or something. Defer to folks who do bridging a lot more than I, but the intent would be enough range to be useful for short range deployments but significantly more limited than the normal 5 LY jump range max of other capitals. This will reduce their use as mobility enhancers, shifting the role to Supercarriers, while still retaining some benefit.
- Titans are now allowed to fit Siege Modules, with all the bonuses and penalties. Doomsdays may be activated while in Siege, gaining all the same bonuses and penalties of regular guns. Activating a Doomsday in Siege significantly increases the recharge / reactivation timer of the Doomsday significantly. In short, you can REALLY blap the hell out of something, but you have to be in Siege to do so.
- Doomsdays can now be scripted. Activating a scripted Doomsday converts it somewhat into the oldschool DD version: you get a small-ish AOE (say on the order of 20-30km?) with full regular DD damage; give it an Explosion Radius and Explosion Velocity somewhere around the same as Citadel Cruise Missiles, with the primary purpose of breaking up balls of capitals. This may be activated while in Siege, with all the usual penalties. At the same time, it has a significant penalties:
-- During the DD cooldown period, the Titan is Polarized. 0% resistances across the board, unable to be raised by any means.
-- Titan gains Jump Fatigue as if the Titan had made a max range jump with existing fatigue equal to the DD cooldown – to include any modifiers from Siege Mode.

This would give you an ultimate platform of death an destruction, literally able to annihilate anything on field if they choose to do so – and assuming they’re willing to take the risk. It even gives them back their old Doomsday, as long as they’re willing to forgo being able to extract or survive in the wake of taking their shot. Yes, you can wipe out that big ball of Dreads in a single, glorious shot… but do you want to take the risk of being Polarized for so long?

Make these ships unique, make them powerful. Make them unique. Make sure their roles don’t really overlap. Make them vulnerable, make them need support from other classes.

Make them worth having, while not making them unbeatable.

We Gallente have a saying: "CCP created the Gallente Militia to train the Fighters..."

Faren Shalni
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#217 - 2015-04-03 20:21:53 UTC
Veskrashen wrote:
Screw it, might as well spitball out some ideas while everyone else is doing it.

To me, these ships need to have defined, non-overlapping roles in order to ensure they each are viable and provide for interesting gameplay. They also need to ensure that they don't become massively overpowered in N+1 situations.

So, here's my ideas regarding roles:

1. CARRIERS - These have evolved to become mainline capital combat ships, and I think they need to retain that role to a large degree. I similarly feel that their ability to support the logi role while out of triage is too powerful. So, I suggest crafting the Carrier to be a mainline, flexible DPS ship while retaining logistics capability while in Triage.

- The ability of Carriers to use non-fighter combat drones should be significantly reduced. Split the drone bay to something like a dedicated Fighter bay and a much, much smaller Drone bay. Something along the lines of enough Fighter storage to carry a full flight plus some replacements - call it a full base flight of 5-10 fighters and a full replacement flight of 5. Drone bay capacity should be somewhere on the order of 500-1000m3 or so.
- Give Carriers a role bonus to Fighter damage / tank like the Guristas ships, minimizing server lag and the need to carry a bazillion fighters around. Remove the Drone Control Unit, balancing fighter damage to approximately 1000 or so DPS.
- Nerf the hell out of Capital Remote Reps, making them about 2x as powerful as Large Remote Reps of the same size. Base repair amount should be around 100-150 HP/sec. Remove role bonuses to rep amount and rep range.
- Rebalance the Triage module to ensure that Carriers are able to push out as much rep power as currently on TQ. This would mean shifting the role bonuses to the Triage module, and increasing the rep bonus.
- Give Carriers turret and launcher hardpoints. Create Capital sized guns designed to allow Carriers to push out BS-level DPS in the 800-1000 range with guns, using Large ammo. Basically Captial Autocannon / Pulse / Blaster batteries with BS grade tracking and range. Only allow short range gun variants, to prevent long range high alpha sniper duels.
- Entosis link penalty is only 2x instead of the 5x of other capital ships.

This ought to give you a tough mainline DPS ship, with flexible DPS able to apply against subcaps and capitals. Total DPS from a mainline fit should be somewhere in the 2000-2500 range, assuming a tank. At the same time, the ability to spidertank to hell is greatly reduced, and your ability to project damage is highly dependent on Fighters, which can be killed. Turret damage is relatively short range (I'm thinking that on average projecting gun damage past about 50km should be difficult without specifically fitting for it), and can be impacted by TDs etc as usual. They can still fill both the logistics and damage roles, but in order to gain the most out of their reps they both have to sacrifice potential DPS and to leave them vulnerable to incoming DPS. Having a smaller Entosis link penalty makes these a natural choice for major Fozziesov battles, and mounting a Triage module with a solid local tank should allow them to be viable in a lot of situations.

2. DREADNOUGHTS – If Carriers are the mainline, flexible capital combat ship, Dreads are specialized beasts designed for one thing and one thing only: murdering other capitals. They should be tough, with beastly local reps, and MASSIVE outgoing damage.
- Buff the hell out of the Siege Module. Like massively increase the outgoing DPS, on the order of 100% or so. I’d love to see Dreads in the 20k DPS range in a tanky fit. At the same time, massively decrease their damage application while in Siege. They should have an INCREDIBLY hard time applying damage to anything smaller than a Carrier, and should ideally need support to apply full DPS to moving Carriers.
- Buff the Siege Module to give significantly increased resistances while in Siege Mode, along the lines of the Bastion Module. The aim should be for a T2 fitted Dread to have a local tank somewhere in the 35-40k range (while cap boosters etc last).
This should produce a pretty hard counter to Carrier fleets, at least as long as they’re on field. Their DPS out of Siege will be pretty anemic, and hard to apply to subcaps. At the same time, their DPS *in* Siege will be FEARSOME. With the lowered out of Triage rep power of Carriers, having Dreads on field should cause some interesting choices to be made. At the same time, Dreads will be very vulnerable to subcap fleets, and neuts / Focused Void Bombs in particular. This ought to give you a tough mainline DPS ship, with flexible DPS able to apply against subcaps and capitals. Total DPS from a mainline fit should be somewhere in the 2000-2500 range, assuming a tank. At the same time, the ability to spidertank to hell is greatly reduced, and your ability to project damage is highly dependent on Fighters, which can be killed. Turret damage is relatively short range (I'm thinking that on average projecting gun damage past about 50km should be difficult without specifically fitting for it), and can be impacted by TDs etc as usual.

***CONTINUED***

In one fell swoop you have killed triage. First by taking the attention from logistics to DPS and second by giving the dread far too much damage for a triage carrier to tank. even now subcap fleets and a dread can kill a carrier before it ends cycle if utilised correctly.

Dreads do not need more firepower as they have plenty right now (the rev needs some love but thats what happens when the others get buffed but its left alone), more tank maybe. RR's need to have their base stats reduced and the triage bonus increased.

So Much Space

WarFireV
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#218 - 2015-04-03 20:29:04 UTC
Dreads should be able to out damage triage carrier tanks. There needs to be SOME reason to actually use dreads, if they can't even take on a few triage carriers then there is no point to them.
Veskrashen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#219 - 2015-04-03 20:30:53 UTC
Faren Shalni wrote:

In one fell swoop you have killed triage. First by taking the attention from logistics to DPS and second by giving the dread far too much damage for a triage carrier to tank. even now subcap fleets and a dread can kill a carrier before it ends cycle if utilised correctly.

Dreads do not need more firepower as they have plenty right now (the rev needs some love but thats what happens when the others get buffed but its left alone), more tank maybe. RR's need to have their base stats reduced and the triage bonus increased.

To some extent, that's kind of the point - to ensure that the only viable capital logistics is via modes that leave you vulnerable as hell to counters. In this concept, the Dread is specifically designed to murder Carriers, while remaining very vulnerable to subcap fleets.

It also ensures that past a certain fleet size, no amount of Logi that you bring will prevent your ships from dying, which turns N+1 into a charnel house rather than "I win and lose nothing, or I lose and lose everything". It makes attrition a viable strategy at the coalition and large fleet level again.

Carriers murder subcaps. Dreads murder Carriers and Dreads. Subcaps murder Dreads. Supercarriers buff everything, increase fleet mobility, and allow for a fleet to benefit from assigned Fighters. Titans kill EVERYTHING, but are incredibly vulnerable if they decide to go hog wild.

Kazaheid Zaknafein
Zaknafein Tactical Reconnaissance
#220 - 2015-04-05 13:56:38 UTC
This still does nothing to counter packs of carriers, much the same way that a marauder does nothing to counter a pack of logistics. Best way around a RR nerf is to have more Logi. 10-20 carriers is a lot of EHP and a lot of RR. And the major blocks have no problems dropping 30-50 carriers at a time with dreads, supers, and titans to boot.