These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Discussion] Entosis Link Tactics and Ship Balance

First post First post First post
Author
Arrendis
TK Corp
#1601 - 2015-03-15 04:58:39 UTC
Veskrashen wrote:
Arrendis wrote:
Mike Azariah wrote:
No, but concerns have been voiced and hear. One week to fanfest, months to June

m

Concerns have been voiced, and questions asked - and an answer to 'why does this even need to be a module?' wouldn't be unwelcome. After all, this is fundamentally exporting the FW mechanics to nullsec, and FW doesn't need a module.

True, but FW is a 30km capture bubble not 250km, and as everyone constantly notes is mainly done in frigs / cruisers / dessies. If the capture mechanic was started and stalled by whoever simply had ships on grid, it'd simply devolve into who could bring the largest RR blob covered by supers again.

Which would kind of defeat the point.

Making it a module, that prevents warp and remote assistance, changes that dynamic rather significantly.

Not really. It takes 10M for the module to finish its initial cycle - but that's all that's multiplied by 400% on supercapitals, not actual capture time. And notification doesn't occur until that first cycle's finished. Which means if you drop 10 supers on-grid, they all entosis-link. Now you've got to kill 10 supers in 20-25 minutes after the first 10 minutes, while they're ECM-bursting to keep you from entosis-linking and delaying them.

What makes it unfeasible to simply bring the biggest super-blob is spreading the fights out over the constellation on the RF - the supers are simply too slow to really bounce around as needed, and the extra time to activate the link makes it more likely more nodes will spawn, which means more ground to cover just to keep your enemies from capturing 10 while you're working on it.

Which isn't affected at all by the grid size or the fleets.
Arrendis
TK Corp
#1602 - 2015-03-15 05:01:05 UTC
Mike Azariah wrote:
What I am saying is that at fanfest there will be a couple of round tables for sov (see the schedule) as well as presentations. There will be a chance for talking TO the devs and for them to present the plans for the future.

Sure. If you had the disposable income to throw at flying to Iceland at the same time that an eclipse spiked all the air fares and hotel prices.

If not, SOL, right?
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1603 - 2015-03-15 05:42:04 UTC
Arrendis wrote:
Mike Azariah wrote:
What I am saying is that at fanfest there will be a couple of round tables for sov (see the schedule) as well as presentations. There will be a chance for talking TO the devs and for them to present the plans for the future.

Sure. If you had the disposable income to throw at flying to Iceland at the same time that an eclipse spiked all the air fares and hotel prices.

If not, SOL, right?

Or book six month before everyone noticed.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1604 - 2015-03-15 05:45:53 UTC
Kristian Hackett wrote:
Alp Khan wrote:
Kristian Hackett wrote:

You have a 10 minute cycle time and a 20km range to structure. So, how is an interceptor that's locked to the grid for a significant amount of time just to begin the capture progress going to be a threat? Oh no, the troll burned your gate camp. You have enough time to respond to the structure under attack with a freaking carrier if you want.

Because disabling the warp engines does not automatically equate to being locked to grid in a trollceptor. You can still burn away from the sov structure and the grid, easily outrunning any opponent with your superior speed and agility and after a certain distance, you will have broken off from the grid and will be in your own safe, seperate grid. This will make the trollceptor look like it suddenly disappeared to everybody on the sov structure's grid, even before the completion of the entosis link cycle. Until that cycle completes, trollceptor continues to burn at max speed with MWD on, and then warps away as normal to any point it chooses to.

This practice is also known as grid-fu or grid manipulation.

By following the above, trollceptor, which is already a very cheap ship even with an entosis link fitted, will have avoided anything landing on sov structure grid and completely manage to avoid any risk. You also should remember that the trollceptor is immune to any gatecamp, as it aligns under two seconds and cannot be locked on a gate. Finally, I assume that you are aware of the fact that all interceptors are immune to bubbles.

You are welcome.

Again - the interceptor has to SIT ON GRID WITHIN 20KM OF THE STRUCTURE FOR ONE FULL 10 MINUTE CYCLE BEFORE THE STRUCTURE EVEN BEGINS TO BE CONTESTED. That means you have 10 minutes to chase the bastard off before your structure becomes vulnerable. Stop dinking the trollceptor T2 sov laser kool-aid and listen to what I'm saying. No T2 modules on ships Cruiser-class and smaller. If the trollceptor can't fit a T2 module then there should be no issue countering the fit. If you're that worried about interceptors then it means that you own too much space to reasonably defend.

So in this scenario if I know that the troll is going after my IHUB, all I have to do is park a Talos on there with the T2 sov laser and I just countered any attempt at a T1 sov laser contest.

And how much fun are you going to have guarding that thing for 4 hours a day, every day while the trollcepters and t3 destryoyers buzz around?

People want fights not stag duty in space.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#1605 - 2015-03-15 06:49:21 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
And how much fun are you going to have guarding that thing for 4 hours a day, every day while the trollcepters and t3 destryoyers buzz around?

Exactly, we will have to give up our 0.0 dream because massadeath's swarms will fatigue us to death.

It will shake up sov. Great success. Expect many goon tears.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Mike Azariah
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1606 - 2015-03-15 09:04:12 UTC
Alp Khan wrote:

I'm sorry Mike, you are going to have to excuse me again on this. I simply am disappointed with a certain tendency of yours.

Do you remember last week, when you were asking us to believe in an internal and private CCP statistic that supposedly shows, somehow, against the laws of simple arithmetic, the sovereign null individual income is bustling, and not crumbling as the reality shows, when compared to other types of space in EVE, even including high-sec? Now, if that is an internal and private statistic, you most likely haven't seen it yourself.

Again, you are asking us who are rightly concerned about the nonsensical essence of this proposal to blindly trust CCP.

Mike, it was my expectation from you as a CSM member to ask the difficult questions to CCP and question everything that has been told by developers to protect the interests of players. But you are repeatedly asking us to blindly trust in CCP, and accept everything they say as a fact. This makes it seem like you are only here to defend the interests of CCP as a company, or perhaps, in a manner similar to a CCP employee.

Are you sure that this is the correct approach a CSM should be taking? You should be presenting us and the rightful concerns cited again and again under this thread, not the other way around.

Where else would you have me gather my information, anecdotal? I do that as well but, yes, I take the data presented to me by CCP as true. If they feed me false information then they would reasonably expect bad returns on said decisions based on the false information. Garbage in, garbage out.

I agree that, at times, people lie about the situation at hand to influence decisions or make their own case seem stronger. The question always becomes 'who is lying'.

When presented with data and graphs I am the first to examine it for the details and the parameters (comes from being a math teacher, I used to critique each of Eyjo's graphs as well). As for your own statements about what I claimed . . . well there were a few errors in there that I actually do lessons on. If you have a RL corp that pays minimum wage to 49 employees and then the CEO of said RL corp takes home 25 million a year then the average salary for the people in that company will be? I made no claims about 'individual income'. Always a risky thing to do in this day and age when there is the ever popular bad guy of the 1%.

Tell me, have you asked the CSM members who are also members of your own alliance whether they have properly represented you or am I somehow special in you having expectations in that I actually DO come out and engage? Lastly, what makes you think I have not taken the concerns I thought were justified 'up the ladder'? Because everything has not changed overnight? Because I did not scream things from the rooftop but rather prefer to communicate in a rational manner?

m

Oh, for the record, the 'average salary' would be a cool half million. That is called a Mean.
The Mode and Median would tell another story.
Yeah, math and especially statistics are tricksy.

Quote:
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics
- M. Twain

Mike Azariah  ┬──┬ ¯|(ツ)

Philip Ogtaulmolfi
We are not bad. Just unlucky
#1607 - 2015-03-15 10:01:33 UTC
baltec1 wrote:

You keep talking about guarding for 4 hours a day. Nobody is going to do that. When we receive the notification, we wait from 6 to 35 minutes depending on our indices and then ONE of the 20 people online will stop what he is doing (that probably is reinforcing/attacking a suitable neigbourg) or log an alt and chase the ceptor away. Thats all.
gascanu
Bearing Srl.
#1608 - 2015-03-15 11:45:39 UTC  |  Edited by: gascanu
Philip Ogtaulmolfi wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

You keep talking about guarding for 4 hours a day. Nobody is going to do that. When we receive the notification, we wait from 6 to 35 minutes depending on our indices and then ONE of the 20 people online will stop what he is doing (that probably is reinforcing/attacking a suitable neigbourg) or log an alt and chase the ceptor away. Thats all.

yea, and he will die to the rest of the trollceptor gang;

what you and the ppl like you faill to understand is how deadly the "trollceptors" gangs will be; and no, they don't need to have more then one fitted with entosis link, the rest will be combat fit.
now, maybe some of you can get out of that "single player mode" you are atm, and switch into multiplayer; and tell me how easy will be chasing a gang of intyes around for 4h...; or sbs for that matter, or a combination of intys and ew/fitted bombers/ewfrigs/recons

and one more thing: what index will have a new conquered system?
you just managed a big victory and conquered a new system? you better hurry back in less that 5' or else...
M1k3y Koontz
Speaker for the Dead
Stay Feral
#1609 - 2015-03-15 12:32:45 UTC
gascanu wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

what you and the ppl like you faill to understand is how deadly the "trollceptors" gangs will be; and no, they don't need to have more then one fitted with entosis link, the rest will be combat fit.
now, maybe some of you can get out of that "single player mode" you are atm, and switch into multiplayer; and tell me how easy will be chasing a gang of intyes around for 4h...; or sbs for that matter, or a combination of intys and ew/fitted bombers/ewfrigs/recons

you just managed a big victory and conquered a new system? you better hurry back in less that 5' or else...

...you're trolling, right?

If for some reason this muthical dreaded trollceptor has a whole gang with him now there's a FIGHT! Undock the rapiers and RLML caracals, cause ceptors are on the menu! To do damage inties actually have to get closer than 50km, so they'll be killable.

How much herp could a herp derp derp if a herp derp could herp derp.

Philip Ogtaulmolfi
We are not bad. Just unlucky
#1610 - 2015-03-15 12:37:58 UTC
gascanu wrote:

Then we will have a fight. and thats perfect. And I agree with you in that is going to be a boring fight. I already had lots of boring fights, with all the iterations of Sovereignity we have had, with one side running away as soon as you appear in the field.

I only expect it will be more boring for the ceptors, who have to be there while we are somewhere else doing something that we like.

After writing this last sentence I realized that I'm here defending the possibility of trollceptors when I will never use one. But I really don't like to forbid alternatives.

gascanu wrote:

I really expect that it increses exponentially, so you can have a good multiplier in a couple of days. Or you will loose it as fast as you conquered it, trollceptor or not.
Scatim Helicon
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1611 - 2015-03-15 12:41:01 UTC
Mike Azariah wrote:
Where else would you have me gather my information, anecdotal? I do that as well but, yes, I take the data presented to me by CCP as true.

It is concerning when I look out of my window and see the sky is blue and glorious, only to be told by CCP that they have super secret internal data telling them that it is in fact pouring with rain, and that they will be making decisions about the local availability of sunscreen and raincoats accordingly.

Every time you post a WiS thread, Hilmar strangles a kitten.

gascanu
Bearing Srl.
#1612 - 2015-03-15 13:35:49 UTC
M1k3y Koontz wrote:
gascanu wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

...you're trolling, right?

If for some reason this muthical dreaded trollceptor has a whole gang with him now there's a FIGHT! Undock the rapiers and RLML caracals, cause ceptors are on the menu! To do damage inties actually have to get closer than 50km, so they'll be killable.

... heh, let me explain this again; this time i'll do it slowlly like for small kids:
there won't be a fight;
or there will be one only if the ceptor gang consider they can win;
otherwise they will just warp around trying to pick some easy targets; if they can't they will just move few systems away and start again...
the problem is that you as a defender have no choice but to follow them around, and do this all over again, till the 4h time periods expire or one of the two gangs gets bored.

like i said, this system leave the attackers with all the options, while the defenders have only one option :chase after them around and try to make them move away/leave

Nolak Ataru
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#1613 - 2015-03-15 14:32:21 UTC
Scatim Helicon wrote:
Mike Azariah wrote:
Where else would you have me gather my information, anecdotal? I do that as well but, yes, I take the data presented to me by CCP as true.

It is concerning when I look out of my window and see the sky is blue and glorious, only to be told by CCP that they have super secret internal data telling them that it is in fact pouring with rain, and that they will be making decisions about the local availability of sunscreen and raincoats accordingly.

This.
Kristian Hackett
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#1614 - 2015-03-15 16:44:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Kristian Hackett
gascanu wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

You talk of a "trollceptor gang" like people are going to be roaming in packs, instead of the single ship tactic that's being discussed. If you have a whole gang of enemy trollceptors rolling in, that's not a troll attempt, that's a "get off your lazy butts, scramble the fleets and defend your sov space" attack. It has been said before in this thread that there are ways to counter the Interceptors, but all you guys want to do is whine and complain about how hard it's going to be and how much space you're going to lose and how the evil trolls are going to troll you then run off laughing.

This system is meant to disrupt the status quo, and do it in a big way. You will lose space here. You will see your territory shrink. You want space, you better be ready to fight for it. Dust off the sub-cap fleets, and patrol your turf. Start thinking outside of the box and looking at new ways to counter the possible threats - nothing is going to be untouchable here. This system, right here, is CCP pretty much taking all hands off of Sov mechanics and telling you slackers to actually fight and continue to fight for your space. Just because your flag is flying doesn't mean that you're going to continue to hold the system just because you can batphone a bajillion capitals. This system is designed to let smaller insurgent fleets come in and deal a major blow to some big time players if they decide to slack off.

And yea, I fully expect that the smaller alliances (such as my own) are going to lose whatever turf they have right away. And we're going to have to fight harder than ever to get it back. So either sit back and watch the fireworks or contribute to the conversation and be part of the solution and not just another whine from the peanut gallery. I'm a highsec carebear for all intents and purposes and I've offered up more suggestions on balancing the upcoming modules then the bulk of you trollceptor doomsayers.

So again, just to reiterate my points for the folks just joining the party:
- T1 Link only on Cruiser-class and smaller ships - trolls shouldn't have it easy, and penalties applied to the T1 module would ensure this.
- 10 minute cycle time on the T1 module, 3 minute on the T2 (2 if you use a command ship). Just because you're fast and cheap doesn't mean you should be able to get away with a short capture timer. BCs-up should get the faster time because they have increased risk and cost.
- 20km T1 range, 250km T2 range. Again, smaller ship needs more risk, and that risk is needing to be closer to the fight.
- [Outside of current thread disccussion] - the constellation-wide node capture event is going to be problematic, especially if you have neighbors that are not blue to you.

And a new thought to add - higher indices on a system should carry a longer capture time here. Like upwards of 2-3 hours. Anything under an hour is much too fast, especially given how much investment there is.

Aircraft Maintenance - Using a high school diploma to fix what a college degree just f***ed up. "Life is too short to drink cheap beer."

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1615 - 2015-03-15 17:35:34 UTC
Kristian Hackett wrote:

You talk of a "trollceptor gang" like people are going to be roaming in packs, instead of the single ship tactic that's being discussed.

We have been telling you we will deploy these things by the hundreds to thousands in small gangs.

Kristian Hackett wrote:

If you have a whole gang of enemy trollceptors rolling in, that's not a troll attempt

Wrong. Their objective is not to take space, its to harass the enemy for months on end until they give up. They never engage, they just force the enemy to always have to chase after them. It fits into our tactic for making the lives of our enemies a living hell much in the same way we currently do by reinforcing everything in a region then not showing up to contest the timers.

Kristian Hackett wrote:

It has been said before in this thread that there are ways to counter the Interceptors

Every single one of those counters relys upon the interceptor trying to take the target, that's not the goal and thus the tactics and specialised ships don't work.

Kristian Hackett wrote:

, but all you guys want to do is whine and complain about how hard it's going to be and how much space you're going to lose and how the evil trolls are going to troll you then run off laughing.

We are telling CCP to not gift us a tactic that we would abuse massively, we want CCP to pre nerf us.
Kristian Hackett wrote:

This system is meant to disrupt the status quo, and do it in a big way.

And it will, it just doesn't need trollcepters and t3 destroyers to do it.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#1616 - 2015-03-15 17:56:19 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Kristian Hackett wrote:
This system is meant to disrupt the status quo, and do it in a big way.

And it will, it just doesn't need trollcepters and t3 destroyers to do it.

Relevant part bolded.

Op success.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

davet517
Raata Invicti
#1617 - 2015-03-15 19:15:22 UTC  |  Edited by: davet517
baltec1 wrote:

We have been telling you we will deploy these things by the hundreds to thousands in small gangs.

Against whom? This isn't high-sec ganking. There isn't anyone out there that you can do this to who can't do it back. And then there are all those (NPC and low-sec entities) for whom you are a target, while they are not.

I don't really think you're complaining about this because you want CCP to save Eve from you.
Dras Malar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1618 - 2015-03-15 20:04:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Dras Malar
This emphasis on trollceptors is indicative of the real problem. The reason why people keep talking about trollceptors is because nobody is serious about actually taking space. No one wants to take sov except as a joke.

CCP might be making it easier to take space, but they're not giving us any reason to keep it. We might see more unclaimed systems, and that's their big shake up of nullsec. It might be too annoying and pointless under this system to hold certain systems, so maybe we won't, but that doesn't necessarily mean anyone is going to move into them. Whether we hold the systems a few jumps from our staging system or not is irrelevant, we can still either beat anyone who tries to move in immediately adjacent to us or we can't. Whether they're pointing a laser at a thing or in a dread in siege mode shooting a thing is a strategic difference that now actually disincentivizes meaningful military investment in sov warfare.

Fozzie says people are making, and I quote, "****-tons" of isk in ratting anomalies, therefore, everthing is fine. As per the Eve Down Under podcast, CCP hath ordained that incentives for holding sov have already been addressed. Nevermind that ratting is completely boring and un-fun. No one wants to take sov because all they'd get out of it is some more forsaken hubs. What's the worst that could happen if they take a random system, it messes up our jump bridge system? Nice one. All we hold space for is to rat in and keep moons, and moons don't require sov and also don't directly benefit the line members. Our alliance may have money, and we may make a decent income, but our alliance's ability to comfortable reimburse our combat ship loss doesn't give us a motivation to fight over anything.

Nullsec is stagnant because there's actually very little reason to undock except to sit AFK in a hub. But a lot of us are sitting AFK in a hub so clearly the only problem is we don't have enough lasers to point at things.
SoCal Stoli Rotsuda
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#1619 - 2015-03-15 20:58:24 UTC
SilentAsTheGrave wrote:
Unless I missed something; doing a daily Entosis Link on your sov system for two minutes will not protect it for the next 24 hours. Fozzie also stated that there will be a notification alliance wide after the warm up period has ended and the cycle begins on the sov thing.

I think that the notification goes out if someone OTHER than the owner tries to get a link on the structure.

I still think, based on what's been put out so far, that if the OWNER activates a link on a structure, a successful link "activates and protects" the structure, which takes it out of vulnerability mode.

Does anyone have anything from the devs to suggest otherwise? It would seem to be a key issue, because a LOT of the discussions about "camping for four hours" would be pointless if this is the case.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#1620 - 2015-03-15 22:06:54 UTC
Dras Malar wrote:
This emphasis on trollceptors is indicative of the real problem. The reason why people keep talking about trollceptors is because nobody is serious about actually taking space. No one wants to take sov except as a joke.

Well we've had loads of people wanting to end our 0.0 dream but they don't have one themselves.

Given the successes seen in ending us, it would been to be a waste of planning time to lay out what to do afterwards.