These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Skill Points remapping/buying™: Ideas, Discussion, and Proposals

First post First post
Author
NeodiuM Scuttle
From the Fringe
#101 - 2015-03-04 03:49:01 UTC
I'm actually in favor of this in a way.

When those specials for alt accounts go up having one thats pricey but offers 15m to 20m sp unallocated would suit.
I cannot get mates to join the game this ate in the piece. I've told them to get their feet wet and maybe we'll look at buying him a higher sp toon down the track once it all clicks, but nope.

If i could say to him, get this package, and he'll either spend all the sp on horrendous things or wait till trial period or something is over and use the unallocated sp and be able to do afew things moderately well. Shocked

Though im sure this would likely just end up being quick alts for everyone instead.

Side note:

Introduce once off expensive re-maps for dosh, watch people reorganise their skills, get to the end, have forgotten about support skills / leadership fail skills and not be able to fly their command ships anymore. Then let the tears roll out.
Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#102 - 2015-03-04 11:27:56 UTC
Bronson Hughes wrote:

Case in point: leadership skills. Nobody likes training them because you have to set your primary attribute as Charisma to learn them at max speed, which means you end up spending a good chunk of a year training other skills at sub-optimal speeds unless you have a bonus remap. But with skill remaps, you can keep your attributes set to whatever you want, so long as you're training to your peak attributes, and then just remap the skills into leadership later. Poof, no attribute remap necessary.

So, if CCP were to implement skill point remaps, it seems that they'd have to couple it with doing away with the attribute system entirely. That seems like an awfully sweeping change, especially when you consider the implant market.

And this illustrates why I don't like the idea of SP remap in anyway. For it to be useful it would have to remap a sgnificant number of SP otherwisethere would be no point. And if it is a signifacant enough amount to 'Poof, no attribute remap necessary' a skill in any way it simply becomes meaningless what attribute choices you make. Every choice should have a consequence and this removes those consequences to a greater or lesser degree.
Bronson Hughes
The Knights of the Blessed Mother of Acceleration
#103 - 2015-03-04 11:58:28 UTC
Corraidhin Farsaidh wrote:
And this illustrates why I don't like the idea of SP remap in anyway. For it to be useful it would have to remap a sgnificant number of SP otherwisethere would be no point. And if it is a signifacant enough amount to 'Poof, no attribute remap necessary' a skill in any way it simply becomes meaningless what attribute choices you make. Every choice should have a consequence and this removes those consequences to a greater or lesser degree.

I'm capsuleer enough to admit when I've changed my mind in light of superior logic. The only way a skill remapping system would work without invalidating attributes is if you limited it to only moving skill points between skills of the same attribute distribution, and that just seems ungodly complicated for the limited potential benefit gained.

Relatively Notorious By Association

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

Nicola Romanoff
Lucifer's Hammer
A Band Apart.
#104 - 2015-03-05 15:25:26 UTC
There was a time when I would want to remap skills but since the cost to clones went away I am not bothered by this any more.

I would like to see the remap actually disappear and all skills train at the same rate. maybe work it that the lower levels say level 2 and 3 take a little longer to train and the level 4 and 5 take a little less, those 30 day plus skills are annoying, but if they were not to change I wouldn't be bothered.
Adrie Atticus
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#105 - 2015-03-05 19:19:57 UTC
Not sure if I did post a "no" in this thread yet so posting again.
SiKong Ma
Perkone
Caldari State
#106 - 2015-03-06 02:31:19 UTC
No.

With the amount of backstabbing, suicide ganking, betrayal and stuff happening, this allow greater freedom for people to get off without repercussion, just start a new char and use the ill-gotten gains to buy more skill points without any trace.

JoeSomebody
Hungry Moonz Klan
#107 - 2015-03-06 02:53:30 UTC
I don't really understand the opposition to SP remap. You're not getting anything for free, it's not the same as buying SP you didn't already earn.
A PLEX service to perform a one-time flush of all trained SP to unalocated SP seems perfectly reasonable. Limit it to once per year per character if necessary. The only "pay to win" advantage that gives you is correcting your own past mistakes.
Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#108 - 2015-03-06 10:07:21 UTC
JoeSomebody wrote:
I don't really understand the opposition to SP remap. You're not getting anything for free, it's not the same as buying SP you didn't already earn.
A PLEX service to perform a one-time flush of all trained SP to unalocated SP seems perfectly reasonable. Limit it to once per year per character if necessary. The only "pay to win" advantage that gives you is correcting your own past mistakes.

Or training a character at maximum amount without caring what the skills are as long as they are the lowest multiplier ones that match the chosen attributes then flush all the accrued sp into a perfect FotM pilot. And you didn't earn the SP in the skills you now decide you want instead. Such an option would make characters and training entirely meaningless. This would become 'Been playing a year? Now you can fly X, Y, and Z. another 6 months until capitals...'
Bronson Hughes
The Knights of the Blessed Mother of Acceleration
#109 - 2015-03-06 12:01:48 UTC
JoeSomebody wrote:

Or training a character at maximum amount without caring what the skills are as long as they are the lowest multiplier ones that match the chosen attributes then flush all the accrued sp into a perfect FotM pilot. And you didn't earn the SP in the skills you now decide you want instead. Such an option would make characters and training entirely meaningless. This would become 'Been playing a year? Now you can fly X, Y, and Z. another 6 months until capitals...'

Any kind of SP reamp would have to have limits on it, like caps on the attribute levels, to prevent just that. But even then, there's too much room for abuse unless you add extra, otherwise unnecessary, complexity.

Relatively Notorious By Association

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

JoeSomebody
Hungry Moonz Klan
#110 - 2015-03-06 13:48:53 UTC
JoeSomebody wrote:

Character training is already completely meaningless. It's a time sink that has nothing to do with player skill or _play_ time invested. It needs a major revamp if the game is survive the drought of new players put off by the character progression. SP remap however addresses part of that issue for existing players.
Your concern seems to be about abuse to maximize training efficiency, but that's exactly what attribute remap already does.
Agondray
Avenger Mercenaries
Space Brutality
#111 - 2015-03-06 14:43:06 UTC
everyone wants the easy way out.
I started in November of 05, I have a 163m sp and everyskill but the useless one for bragging right
delicate your skilling to select areas and don't look for the easy way out to max everything.
The reason for alts is to have multiple characters to do either do multiple things or 1 thing with many.
-1 to the easy path, enough of eve is easy if you use intelligence.
the only reason I have alts, the 2 I have offline are for missions so I can sacrifice their standings when I mission with people.

"Sarcasm is the Recourse of a weak mind." -Dr. Smith

Tiddle Jr
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#112 - 2015-03-08 21:34:15 UTC
Due to the game changes coming way to often as before this idea is not that bad and has full rights to live.

Of course there must be clear process with limitations and possible penalties. Not that huh today i'm a super cap pilot and tomorrow i'm rat lab goddy. No. We have afributes remap option time to think on same way for SP but here is the trick - how often and how many SP's are allowed to remap.

"The message is that there are known knowns. There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know" - CCP

GordonO
BURN EDEN
#113 - 2015-03-08 23:14:03 UTC
I would welcome the change as I really want to redeem my wasted SP that I trained to use deep space probes.. the skill.. so useless to me to train to 5 I can't remember what its called, is well clearly wasted. Was handy with DSP.. but useless now that DSP have been removed and scanning has been made easy.

... What next ??

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#114 - 2015-03-09 00:04:16 UTC
I think there should be an option to "cash in" skills for SP that are no longer desirable, at say a 50% return rate. Instead of PLEX for remaps and raw SP, this might accomplish the same goal in the end, ie: Players who trained up for a specific career (mining) that have since outgrown it and no longer need those skills.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Colette Kassia
Kassia Industrial Supply
#115 - 2015-03-09 01:55:16 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
I think there should be an option to "cash in" skills for SP that are no longer desirable, at say a 50% return rate...

Yup, from the previous page.
Count Szadek
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#116 - 2015-03-09 10:10:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Count Szadek
I don't agree with purchasing SP Directly, however I would support a Delayed SP Booster. It could add the SP AFTER 1 month. This would work similar to multiple character training as cost would be same for paying for mct. Great for alts you dont know what to do with

Example Delayed Booster
- Lasts 30 Days
- At expiration redeems for 2 Million SP Unallocatted
- Stops all training while active
- Cost: 1 Plex
- Since it is a Booster, Uses a Slot so cannot be used simultaneously on same character
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#117 - 2015-03-09 10:17:29 UTC
Colette Kassia wrote:

Ah, sorry - my bad. +1 to the idea (like the drug aspect).

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Bal'Ayle
Loona's Loonatics
Citizen's Star Republic
#118 - 2015-03-09 14:50:49 UTC
Id like to weigh in my opinion on this topic as it has been one I have tried to launch so many times.

There are many ways to do this that would add a lot of depth to the game and I don't think its really play to win providing its done right and limited.

----------my idea----------

harvesting SP from bio-massed characters.

overview: The ability to destroy a toon on an account and harvest the SP that character has which can be added to another character.

Limitations: No character can absorb more SP then would normally be possible to train through the training que by normal means. Ie: characters potential skills points 30m / trained skills 20m - biomass's 20m sp toon = 10m sp to be used.

Costs: 1 plex for every 10m sp the biomassed toon looses that you wish to transfer - minimum SP 5m. So 5msp<10msp = 1 plex 10msp-20msp = 2 plex.

Benefits: This will benefit character trading - no character can exceed their peers SP levels - new characters wont be transformed into SP plasters for main characters. 5msp is an investment of time. Frees up character names without CCP intervention. clears out old toons no longer needed. More Plex sinks. a LOT of players would be using them for this purpose.

Negatives: toons mapped specifically for fastest SP gain just to be biomassed. raise in price for older characters with heavy SP totals. Character trading will be swifter reducing exposures on markets and lowering overall public trade due to the benefit of biomassing. - a LOT more max skill pilots flying around.

----------my position on this topic-------------

The idea that paying for SP is pay to win is horse brown. most people who want this like me are people who accidentally podded ourselves out of SP or who couldn't invest time or funds at the time to train. My inability to get on eve is from my RL commitments and the idea that I can't use my hard earned money to make playing a game a little bit less time consuming is frankly a bit one sided as an argument.

Why should you benefit from the fact you have more free time then me over me using the results of my lack of free time to further my eve career? is it not similar to the upsides and downsides of our choices ingame? why should the time poor people suffer or those who go through patches where they just cant get online? why does the community only support those that CAN spend 3/8 hours ingame or playing for months consistently?

we allow plex cards and see the benefit that had on us as a whole? back then that was cash for isk and it works well. those that can afford it use it - those that cant don't, but it works, its been working and will continue to work - are we so short sighted we cannot see the need for something that has spawned literally thousands of topics specifically requesting it be brought in?

---------MY INSPIRATION----------

I have a character from 2009 - I am a paltry example of a character with that age compared to my peers - and why? because I had a son, because I was homeless and because I moved and couldn't afford to buy back a computer I pawned. Now I can afford to buy a new character at the bazaar - but why should i?

I want my character
my history.

I want to get back that which I lost purely because I couldn't be there to earn it - but unlike everything else in the eve universe once you lose out on SP - its gone. I like the risk vs reward mechanic but this is purely a take it or lose it situation.

I could use my money out of game and buy characters against all our community on whole - you wouldn't know it. by why ruin what I love?

I could buy so much isk I could trade for one. But I would rather buy CCP a drink buying plexes or something else and get my character to where she should be rather then line someone else pockets.

Why shouldn't the community that helped me overcome the adversity of my life - the friends I made during my eve life who kept me smiling when everything else in my life fell apart, benefit from my new found good fortune in the form of more money going into a game we all love?

I dont ask for this out of greed. I dont ask for this to be better than you. I ask only for the opportunity to make myself what I could have been had I not fallen when I did. IS THIS SO MUCH TO ASK? IS THIS REALLY ANY DIFFERENT THEN ME PAYING MONTHS AGO?

IS recouping lost potential so against the grain you all feel that its very suggestion is abhorrent? I don't think it is. and neither do the thousands of other posters asking for it.

-------MY EVE-------
Kenneth Feld
Habitual Euthanasia
Pandemic Legion
#119 - 2015-03-09 15:00:16 UTC
There are quite a few of us with 14mil + SP in drones and are stuck in SC's, as well as Titan and Dreadnaught pilots with a ton of drone SP

When drones were removed we were told to bad, so sad about the SP

Making a one time wipe or maybe a remap for plex option would be a way to redo some of the "Lost" SP due to rebalance changes in the game

If this does happen PLEASE, PLEASE make it so when you right click -> Apply Skill Points it has a list of 1-5 and SP required for each level. That way someone with 185mil SP doesn't get chronic arthritis from right clicking each skill 5 times to train to 5, they can click once and enter SP and it is trained to 5
Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#120 - 2015-03-09 15:15:01 UTC
Bal'Ayle wrote:

IS recouping lost potential so against the grain you all feel that its very suggestion is abhorrent? I don't think it is. and neither do the thousands of other posters asking for it.

-------MY EVE-------

6 pages doesn't constitute 1000's of posters and 1000's of people asking for something doesn't make it necessarily good. Most of the players in Eve would ask for PLEX to halve in price but that wouldn't make it a good idea.

I'm always going to be sympathetic to people suffering RL problems as most people have been there to some degree at some point.

However, this would lead to old characters being rolled out and brought up to date left right and centre and suddenly most would be the current FotM skillset. Old untrained characters would ecome the must have item in the character bazaar.

I stand by my point that for any SP remap to be useful it would have to affect a large amount of SP which inherently makes it immediately abusable. It would also remove any uniqueness frmo the characters.