These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: Politics by Other Means: Sovereignty Phase Two

First post First post First post
Author
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1481 - 2015-03-04 15:57:08 UTC
Renters are paying for the stability and protection. And like Arrendis said, there's an element of value at play. 10 billion ISK a month is worth different things to different people.
Freelancer117
So you want to be a Hero
#1482 - 2015-03-04 16:01:03 UTC
Quote:
Although reinforcing of Sovereignty structures may only occur during the owning alliance’s prime time window, station services can be disabled at any time through use of the Entosis Link for between 5 and 20 minutes (depending on occupancy levels).

I would like the CSM 9 and X candidates view on this please in the Assembly HallCool

Eve online is :

A) mining simulator B) glorified chatroom C) spreadsheets online

D) CCP Games Pay to Win at skill leveling, with instant gratification

http://eve-radio.com//images/photos/3419/223/34afa0d7998f0a9a86f737d6.jpg

http://bit.ly/1egr4mF

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#1483 - 2015-03-04 16:01:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Dracvlad
AlexKent wrote:
Eli Apol wrote:
Miner Hottie wrote:
No longer can the CFC impose it's will with 1,000 megathrons, nor PL, strike fear into a sov holders heart with its super caps. No, now we must run around in interceptors and cruisers and engage in fights with similar ships in honorable brawl in some artificial node after we missed catching that last interceptor because CCP cares not about the relative advantages of living in the UK with a low ping vs being on the wrong side of the planet on ancient copper wires. We then dismount from our puny steeds after four hours of toil fending off the heathens looking for giggles, good fights and tears and mount up our trusty dusty mining ships to maintain the ancient honourable industry index which actually only measure rocks shot with a mining laser.

So maybe Goons have too much Sov to effectively hold at the moment and need to downscale?

Maybe we should drop all of it and move near your highsec mission hub. That would be fun.

It looks like most of your PvP chaps are already in hisec!

There is no issue with Goons, they have a great location and should easily deal with this, the good space is going to be kept by the big boys and big fights will happen around them. Its all that unused space that will see some changes as existing groups pull back to what really matters and what they can hold onto.

In the poor systems you will find system with no sov claimed, ninja POS's, then a death star next to a TCU, lets see a Trollceptor do that with a T1 Entosis Link, does anyone think their comments through?

TZ issues, well I can get friends to help me or even hire mercs, if I was a merc I would be looking at this thinking perhaps in 0.0 we can make ISK on people who want help claiming systems, WH's for the win... There will be a need for different TZ groups if you want to be on the offensive, I think AU TZ people are going to become very valuable. The TZ issue is not really an issue, as there will be entities with different vulnerabilities all over the place.

One of my friends suggested that use of systems improves its truesec to a max of -0.3 and of course capped to -1.0 and I really think that is a good idea, because while I disagree with people saying level 4's in hisec are better I do hear their point of view and accept that null does need buffing in terms of income.

Oh and please for the love of Eve give back anomalies that need to be scanned down for miners.

I noticed someone trying to make it so expensive, like put the Entosis link in a Marauder or something like that, or make it cost 500m well how the hell can the small entity keep at a guerilla war for space a bigger entity does not really want if I keep having to wear them down with bling kills, that really had to come from a FA player fat with moon goo, facepalm...

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Poultergoose4
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#1484 - 2015-03-04 16:01:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Poultergoose4
Overall I like the ideas proposed.

Personally I would prefer if the module couldn't be used on anything smaller than a BC, to try and bring in the bigger ships - would negate having ishtars/tengus etc just kiting around, sure they might get stopped at a few of the points and caught but there's a lot less risk.

EDIT: Or reduce the t2 module... 20k to 250k does seem like a huge jump up, why not 30k for the t2?
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1485 - 2015-03-04 16:01:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Rain6637
epicurus ataraxia wrote:
Arrendis wrote:
Igor Nappi wrote:
I find it hard to believe that 0.0 income is too low considering there's currently people who are willing to pay somebody else for the right to use 0.0 systems.

There's low-income people in the US voting Republican, too - just because people do it doesn't mean they're smart to do so.

All these are possible, but there is no substitute for independent hard, public, data.
And if it exists, it certainly is not public.
If it is shown to be disfunctional, then all areas of space should back you.

It's mutually beneficial. Mutually symbiotic. Whatever. Large groups are employing themselves as protection-for-hire, and renters are employing themselves as industrialists or miners.

The ownership of the space is switched from the irl arrangement of hired security, but that's the only difference, and it's required by the game mechanics for the relationship to exist.

There are other groups who more closely resemble hired security, who don't own the space they fight in, but both arrangements operate under the same basic principle. It's incorrect to vilify sov-holding hired security over the other type.
Eli Apol
Definitely a nullsec alt
#1486 - 2015-03-04 16:01:58 UTC
AlexKent wrote:
Maybe we should drop all of it and move near your highsec mission hub. That would be fun.

OMG I got threatened by a Goon, my world has ended.... how many friends are you gonna need to bring in order to blob one market alt that never undocks lol

but what would I know, I'm just a salvager

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1487 - 2015-03-04 16:02:41 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
It disturbs me to see the use of broad usage statistics to make balance decisions and also validate them.

I'm troubled by that too. Like the population one, i know I contributed to that because I moved 2 cyno alts into null so I could move loot with my Panther now that the Archon got nerfed (lol). More characters in null doesn't mean a healthier null, it means for some reason their are more characters there.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1488 - 2015-03-04 16:04:19 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
So basically the only tweak I can spot being needed right off the bat is to either:

1: Keep the (short) range the same between the T1 and T2 Entosis links, forcing those wishing to capture in close.
2: Make the fitting requirements such that you can't quite manage to mount it on a frigate hull.

Not really a biggie, although it's a shame that the general population still hasn't figured out how to deal with interceptors yet

Those most worried about kiting interceptors just need to keep in mind that although a module you can mount on a ceptor may have incredibly long range... that doesn't mean your ceptor can target that far.

Sensor Boosters. Signal Amplifiers. Whatever the name of the rig that boosts targeting range.
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1489 - 2015-03-04 16:04:39 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Rain6637 wrote:
It disturbs me to see the use of broad usage statistics to make balance decisions and also validate them.

I'm troubled by that too. Like the population one, i know I contributed to that because I moved 2 cyno alts into null so I could move loot with my Panther now that the Archon got nerfed (lol). More characters in null doesn't mean a healthier null, it means for some reason their are more characters there.

It guarantees / means that balance decisions are out of touch.
Rothar Luke
Did he say Jump
Deepwater Hooligans
#1490 - 2015-03-04 16:05:30 UTC
Altrue wrote:
Whatever the result of the changes is, it is probably going to heavily affect EVE Online for the years to come.

The bad stuff:

• Yay! Brave Collective will pick an US timezone and thanks to your new system, ensure that EU and AU get no chances to defend their space EVER. At least, with the current system we had the opportunity to actively prevent the first attack...Ugh Now all is left is the defense of station services, very exciting.
  • This new system is definitely interesting, but the benefits of holding sov are almost non-existant. And you should really consider making grinding the industry index easier, its way too hard atm.
  • There is no word about a rewamp of sov upgrades. The Quantum Flux Generator for instance, does it work at all? Does it really generate WHs constellation wide?
  • In general, why tie sov defense to the system index without revamping it first? Lots of things in anom PvE and Mining are broken in null.
  • Jump bridges should also be disabled through the entosis link. Repairing and grinding them is a pain, and disabling / restoring this capabiltiy is inherently tied to sov battles.
  • The defender should be notified at the beggining of the first module cycle, not the beggining of the second cycle. By the way, I hope that the notification is made alliance-wide, not just for the holding-corp, or tied to specific rights.
  • What about alliance logos? Sure you took nice examples with custom alliance logos, but the reality is that none has been added for months (a year?) now. There is another way of displaying your mockup of the new sov UI on the top left corner, and its three generic alliance logos... Ugh
  • A highslot module? Yay, more power to ships with utility highs! i.e... All drone boats! Ishtar Online is still a thing apparently. In all seriousness, that's a highly arbitrary way of making some ships more viable than others. Please reconsider.

The good stuff:

• The enthosis link is a really cool idea!
  • The need for the owning alliance to be there is a nice touch!
  • You cannot just steamroll sov with a bunch of super caps jumping at 0 of a structure.
  • There will be work to do for everyone! While the Big Guns fight, intys will also have to catch other frigates equiped with Enthosis links.
  • No more grinding!
  • The use of the constellation landscape is very cool!

Questions:

• What happens if a leave the range of the enthosis link mid-cycle? And what if I go back to the correct range before the end of the cycle?

So yeah.. Overall, I'd say that its good system, even though it still has its flaws... Which is the point of something open to player feedback. Big smile

This pretty sums up what I had thought. Mainly the first point. Alliances might push all the vulnerability onto a particular timezone, leaving out everyone else. For example, Leaving it to the Americans, where the EU and other timezones won't get to defend their space. However, it'll also be hard for small alliances with most of their members in a particular timezone, like EU, to attack other alliances, whom have their timer to be set for their timezone. Please look at this and reconsider.

Also, what will the the requirement for Super Carriers and Titans as a result of all this?

I also think the bonus difference between the Tech one and tech two variants of the Entosis links is huge, and should be reduced. Also, what's stopping a single player with a frigate just running out and starting to knock out all the Ihubs and TCUs, station upgrades, etc. solo? They can harass the enemy very easily. Should be made harder and requiring an actual force and preplanning to start the assault.

I personally think that JBs should be left alone, so you can take them out with normal weapons. It'll allow small groups to hurt hostile alliances using small groups of bombers.
Roxy Heart
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1491 - 2015-03-04 16:06:23 UTC
Lena Lazair wrote:
Anhenka wrote:
Is the solution to just "go find another alliance"?

Yes. Go find another alliance that actually plays actively during the same time as you. I'm pretty sure this sort of balkanization/fracturing of massive blocs is ENTIRELY THE POINT.

Erm I actually really like the fact that my relatively small corp is made up from people across 4 continents. The whole one shard for the whole game is a selling point for EVE. Forcing stupid time zone mechanics on people and telling them to find new people to play with if they don't like it is kinda dumb.
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1492 - 2015-03-04 16:07:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Rain6637
I'm wondering if removing the shooting requirement is supposed to synergize with future nerfs to drones, which are the only ammo-free / resource-free source of DPS in the game.

Or this could just be a really bad move for making sov and ownership games require even less ammo and resources.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1493 - 2015-03-04 16:09:50 UTC
Igor Nappi wrote:
I find it hard to believe that 0.0 income is too low considering there's currently people who are willing to pay somebody else for the right to use 0.0 systems.

This is the general misunderstanding. Null income isn't too low. It's too low to be worth the effort, too low to use yourself so you rent it out to people with lower standards of income while you do other things like blitzing lvl 5 missions or running faction warfare alts or running a high sec mission farm or blitzing high sec regular or burner missions or things like this in low sec with cheap Attack Battlecrusiers.

I can go to null and make 90 mil an hour with a Rattlesnake ratting anoms that is in danger from roaming gangs and wormhole raiders or I can a whopping 4 mil less per hour and stay in the safety of high sec. My 5 bil isk Vindicator I use for high sec incursions makes WAY more than 90mil per hour btw.
Eli Apol
Definitely a nullsec alt
#1494 - 2015-03-04 16:11:01 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:
So basically the only tweak I can spot being needed right off the bat is to either:

1: Keep the (short) range the same between the T1 and T2 Entosis links, forcing those wishing to capture in close.
2: Make the fitting requirements such that you can't quite manage to mount it on a frigate hull.

Not really a biggie, although it's a shame that the general population still hasn't figured out how to deal with interceptors yet

Those most worried about kiting interceptors just need to keep in mind that although a module you can mount on a ceptor may have incredibly long range... that doesn't mean your ceptor can target that far.

Sensor Boosters. Signal Amplifiers. Whatever the name of the rig that boosts targeting range.

Boosts them to about 150.

Countered by a sensor damp forcing them to come within bonused web ranges.

X Gallentius
Black Eagle1
#1495 - 2015-03-04 16:11:11 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
Renters are paying for the stability and protection. And like Arrendis said, there's an element of value at play. 10 billion ISK a month is worth different things to different people.
And here I thought 0.0 was full of risk....
M1k3y Koontz
Speaker for the Dead
Stay Feral
#1496 - 2015-03-04 16:11:49 UTC
Worrff wrote:
Jessy Andersteen wrote:
And people just want less large scales engagment.

Wrong. A LOT of people love them.

I'm sorry, what? There are masochists who ENJOY 10% tidi?

How much herp could a herp derp derp if a herp derp could herp derp.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1497 - 2015-03-04 16:12:36 UTC
Eli Apol wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

Boosts them to about 150.

Countered by a sensor damp forcing them to come within bonused web ranges.

Countered by even more ceptors, or just leaving that system and spamming the ones around it.

This will not turn out how you think it will lol.
Eli Apol
Definitely a nullsec alt
#1498 - 2015-03-04 16:13:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Eli Apol
Jenn aSide wrote:
Countered by even more ceptors, or just leaving that system and spamming the ones around it.

This will not turn out how you think it will lol.

So more ships wins in eve, wow that's a shocker.

Also an atron at 0 with a defensive link counters as many intys as you want to kite around outside of frigate gun range.

If you have empty, idle systems surrounding it during your primetime then they're not actively used space are they Roll

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1499 - 2015-03-04 16:14:30 UTC
Under the current proposed changes, breaking their locks will only do them the favor of allowing remote assistance.
Kah'Les
hirr
Pandemic Horde
#1500 - 2015-03-04 16:15:09 UTC
Eli Apol wrote:

If you have empty, idle systems surrounding it during your primetime then they're not actively used space are they Roll

Some systems are only worth their moons meaning there are no players in them doing active things, hence most systems in null are empty.