These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Assembly Hall

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page
 

Eve is sick and getting sicker

Author
Dr Longbow
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#21 - 2015-02-27 17:27:21 UTC
I am a capsuleer. Many are like me, we all are eternal. Assets are replaceable, and I will live on. Be the change you want to see. Snuff the flame that burns, take action shroud it as reaction. The only method an enemy has to crush your spirit is for you to fail in your own efforts to overcome a threat. Nobody in new eden is invincible, and nothing is safe. I get podded a lot, and I miss the days where you lose sp from not upgrading your clone already.

That possibility was great for bringing a fight to more skill adapt players. Skill for skill you had the chance to even the score. Now, because of the weak, the game play has been diluted to the level that once someone has more skills than you they always will. That to me is not a fixed game mechanic, that is a broken and flawed system set in place to appease the spineless. I've lost months of SP and never lost sight of the joy the future can hold. Stop diluting our game play, I enjoy a challenge and I value these type of options. Even being on the receiving end of all the griefer dec crap. I enjoy the fact that this is an integral part of the game, it grants me the option to do something about it.

It takes whits, drive, determination, and pure undiscriminating grit. Stop trying so hard to get rich, do what you need to be wealthy. The rewards will come poring in, reap the benefits of the friendships that last. Those are the ones that matter when real battle begins. The saying isn't "Don't fly it if you can't afford to lose it" for no reason.

Most importantly.

Nothing ever goes exactly as planned.

If you look into my timeline, everything has happened for a reason. That reason is I allowed it to happen, thus I have no regrets. Any thing that happens to any of us is for that same inherent reason. That is EVE online, that is the sandbox factor. It molds us into who we are on this game. Turn it into content, and never ever give up. Just stop being a slave, start being a capsuleer and nothing will be impossible. These minute obstacles will become an advantage to gain leverage from as you learn to overcome.
Iain Cariaba
#22 - 2015-02-27 17:35:56 UTC
Dr Longbow wrote:
I am a capsuleer. Many are like me, we all are eternal. Assets are replaceable, and I will live on. Be the change you want to see. Snuff the flame that burns, take action shroud it as reaction. The only method an enemy has to crush your spirit is for you to fail in your own efforts to overcome a threat. Nobody in new eden is invincible, and nothing is safe. I get podded a lot, and I miss the days where you lose sp from not upgrading your clone already.

That possibility was great for bringing a fight to more skill adapt players. Skill for skill you had the chance to even the score. Now, because of the weak, the game play has been diluted to the level that once someone has more skills than you they always will. That to me is not a fixed game mechanic, that is a broken and flawed system set in place to appease the spineless. I've lost months of SP and never lost sight of the joy the future can hold. Stop diluting our game play, I enjoy a challenge and I value these type of options. Even being on the receiving end of all the griefer dec crap. I enjoy the fact that this is an integral part of the game, it grants me the option to do something about it.

It takes whits, drive, determination, and pure undiscriminating grit. Stop trying so hard to get rich, do what you need to be wealthy. The rewards will come poring in, reap the benefits of the friendships that last. Those are the ones that matter when real battle begins. The saying isn't "Don't fly it if you can't afford to lose it" for no reason.

Most importantly.

Nothing ever goes exactly as planned.

If you look into my timeline, everything has happened for a reason. That reason is I allowed it to happen, thus I have no regrets. Any thing that happens to any of us is for that same inherent reason. That is EVE online, that is the sandbox factor. It molds us into who we are on this game. Turn it into content, and never ever give up. Just stop being a slave, start being a capsuleer and nothing will be impossible. These minute obstacles will become an advantage to gain leverage from as you learn to overcome.

Oh, this is so getting linked in my signature. Perfectly stated.
Geyene
Doomheim
#23 - 2015-03-02 15:08:19 UTC
Aditu Ibuki wrote:


The activities of players exploiting other players seems to have increased over time to where it now seems to be most prevalent thing going on in game. It always as aspect of the game but now seems totally dominant, promoting nothing but paranoia vengeance and viciousness mirroring the worst of RL.



this is why i play.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.   If you have a big enough hammer, every problem is a nail.

Thilos
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#24 - 2015-03-12 04:23:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Thilos
Lord Parallax wrote:
The majority of gameplay I encounter on a day to day basis is not war-torn content, it's scammers trying to steal your isk through the same tired old scams...

Leave Jita dude. Blink

And for the record, EVE is not a PvP game. EVE is, in actuality, a spacefaring society simulator with a nicely fleshed out story, addictive elements, and a very high challenge level, primarily because regardless of whether you are shooting boxes, zapping roids or undercutting another trader, you are effectively competing with human beings. In this regard, the game is crafted to cater to predatory behavior. Outperforming others is the main motivation for most of what we do. Killboards, wallets, shiny spacepixels, you name it. Very few roam the stars aimlessly for very long. As I understand it, EVE has one of the lowest new player retention scores of any long-running successful mmo.

As in real life, this game hands you few cushions and even fewer second chances to actually make something of yourself. You either find a niche here... friends, commonalities, purpose... or you move on. You are perfectly capable of being a pure carebear, but the nature of most others will seldom mirror your own.

I would even go so far as to say that the driving force behind the careers of all truly invested EVE players is that they are the sort of people who ultimately want to either save the universe or destroy it.

And as for the notion that EVE was once an "Eden" as it were, the older players here must surely remember the exploits of the Guiding Hand Social Club and the rest of this game's pioneer social engineers. So please, reconsider wearing those rose-colored glasses.
Arch-Magus Mephisto
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#25 - 2015-03-13 18:22:52 UTC
This has always been a PvP game. You always compete with other pilots whether it's for resources, trading or even direct conflict.

It does not matter if you are a high sec miner or industrialist in your first month of play or you fly super capitals in Null or Worm Hole space. The prospect of losing a ship you had to train hard to fly and earn the isk to buy or manufacture is an eventuality every pilot knows whenever he or she undocks.

How you play the game and what your end goals are. Is entirely up to you.

If you dislike PvP, stay in high sec. You will still lose ships from other players however it won't nearly be so volatile as Low, null or worm hole space.

You can run missions in high sec, mine, manufacture and trade to your heart's content. However, you are restricted to what you can do and how well you do it by your training time. Playing more often can improve your talent as a capsuleer. But it will not improve your skills unlocked at all. Becoming good at whatever you choose to do will require time.

Gaan Cathal
Angry Mustellid
Lost Obsession
#26 - 2015-03-14 02:09:58 UTC
Black Pedro wrote:
There are ways to do (almost) only PvE in this game, but there are always done against the backdrop of competitive PvP sandbox. If you really only want to mine and build stuff, you can but you will have to arrange for protection with some PvP players as part of an larger organization. If you forgo your defense, but do not find someone else to protect you, you will be an easy target for larger, more aggressive groups.


Mining not so much, but industry in general is inherently PVP. You are selling your goods in competition with other players.

Black Pedro wrote:
However missioning in highsec is pretty isolated from the sandbox in that there is much inbuilt protection from unwanted aggression, so by following a few rules you are unlikely to be affected much by others in the sandbox.


Missioning is the closest to pure PVE in this game, although it still has hooks to market PVP, just less than industry.
The Golden Serpent
A Drunken Squirrels' Conspiracy for Revenge
#27 - 2015-03-23 11:21:34 UTC  |  Edited by: The Golden Serpent
Aditu Ibuki wrote:
Hello I started playing EVE back in 2004 and have returned to playing after a break of 4-5 years.
I must confess to find playing EVE an increasing depressing experience.

The activities of players exploiting other players seems to have increased over time to where it now seems to be most prevalent thing going on in game. It always as aspect of the game but now seems totally dominant, promoting nothing but paranoia vengeance and viciousness mirroring the worst of RL.

The game only remains visually wonderfully, CCP please think about balancing content and practical gameplay to those of us who do want to play computer games just to be vindictive to other players.


If you do not want to PvP consider grafting yourself onto the multitude of corps who specialize in protecting PVErs, ie Aegis protects industrialists for a cost you must give up some autonomy but this is like irl. Find a great corp to protect you and offer them your non pvp services it is true it will be indirect pvp but it is a pvp game, and this is not even hardcore pvp, that is found in FPS...

I never get bothered in 1.0 space you can stay there if you want to or learn to use Warp core stabs and cloaking

Always report offensive behavior that goes outside of the TOS.

I am new to the game and i keep finding myself wondering at how nice everyone is, even a lot of the people that kill my character. There are some nasty stupid people but i will get my revenge on them eventually.

-:¦:-•:'":•.-:¦:-•* K H A N I D •-:¦:-•:''''*:•-:¦:-

Agondray
Avenger Mercenaries
VOID Intergalactic Forces
#28 - 2015-03-23 14:56:54 UTC
ive been playing since 05 and have noticed a massive change in the game when marketing hit the US, as im also a US player.
finding ways to make money off of others with as little effort as possible have become massive between numerous scams, and ganking anything you can gank.

"Sarcasm is the Recourse of a weak mind." -Dr. Smith

Black Pedro
Mine.
#29 - 2015-03-23 15:14:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Black Pedro
Agondray wrote:
ive been playing since 05 and have noticed a massive change in the game when marketing hit the US, as im also a US player.
finding ways to make money off of others with as little effort as possible have become massive between numerous scams, and ganking anything you can gank.


I haven't been here since 2005, but Eve is suppose to this way - full of scams and gankers:

http://deadendthrills.com wrote:
"Eve is very dark,” confirms creative director Torfi Frans Ólafsson. “It’s harsh. It is supposed to be unforgiving. The original designers played a lot of Ultima Online, which was a fantastic sandbox game, and it allowed you to be very devious and very immoral in the way that you played. What they loved about it is that player killers, the griefers – people who just went around and killed other people – became so unpopular that other people banded together. Good started fighting evil, and without true evil you can’t have true good. So you had these bands of righteous people chasing player killers, and those player killers were the original Eve designers; they created a game about that mechanic."


I highly doubt New Eden ever was the space utopia full of good, hardworking citizens you seem to remember. In fact, everything I have read says the opposite.
Terranid Meester
Tactical Assault and Recon Unit
#30 - 2015-03-23 15:42:45 UTC
Aditu Ibuki wrote:
when I started to play it was not an exclusive PvP game.


It was always a pvp game, if you didn't get the memo in 2004, you will not likely get it now. To compete is pvp.
SmilingVagrant
Doomheim
#31 - 2015-03-24 16:40:28 UTC
I pulled a p sick burnout in some of the new ships, one could say they were almost ill.
DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#32 - 2015-03-26 20:33:14 UTC
Did not read all the replies, but op you are wrong.

Started in 2004, took one break of a year (had a kid)

Eve has always been a pvp game, always. I remember dealign with can flippers, and bumpers even back in 04. Suicide ganking was less becuase there was less money in play in 04, so losing a 100m isk BS to kill a mining crusier was not that smart. Also the mining ships in that day were just pvp ships fitted with mining lazers.

Mechanics changed that made some of the tactics easier to explot, more money in play means its cheaper to sucide and you cna get your stuff replaced faster.

Eve has ALWAYS been this way. So if you did not think it was, then you need a new game

DaReaper

Miner by profession, alliance and corp leader by hobby.

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#33 - 2015-03-26 20:35:59 UTC
Groups like goonswarm helped making scamming and other tactics more viabale and seem to be do able (no not a grr goon, just stating a fact) as more players came into eve more people decided to play the ****.

But its ALWAYS been this way

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

Freelancer117
So you want to be a Hero
#34 - 2015-04-01 19:35:09 UTC
Aditu Ibuki wrote:
This what CCP says EVE is currently:



What is EVE Online?



EVE Online is a massively multiplayer online game set 23,000 years in the future. As an elite spaceship pilot, you will explore, build, and dominate across a universe of over 7,000 star systems. Sandbox gameplay and advanced skill-based progression provide you with a truly unique experience as you rise to power among the stars.


The possibilities are endless in EVE Online:
Takes sides in factional warfare. Join an alliance and wage epic battles for sovereignty over star systems. Discover wormholes leading to unknown regions of space. Uncover pirate outposts and lucrative resources hidden in the far reaches of the cosmos.




It implies PvP exists it doesn't say its the main focus or obligatory
Is this actually false information and PVP is the main and only respected activity in the game?


The moment I read about eve, I knew this was not WoW.
I played WoW with an UK 18+ yrs guild for 5 months but I wanted to try a sandbox mmo.
Before playing eve I printed out a stack of 20 cm of guides how the game worked, from different sorts of ammo to you name it Cool

Even then it did not register this game was about pvp at it's core, I learned THAT the hard way.
After months of skill training learning skills and selling a GTC for learning implants, hehe... I undocked
It took me a month to get into a catalyst and I could barely fly it well, even bought it with the isk I made myself.
It felt pretty good to fly around in such a big ship shooting rats and surviving, so onward to greener pastures !

The catalyst jumped to other systems laid down by the autopilot, hehe you know where this is going.

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_external_id=4729276

BANG, welcome to eve

After that many, many new "learning" opportunities presented itself to me to learn from mistakes, I hope you survive them to o7

Eve online is :

A) mining simulator B) glorified chatroom C) spreadsheets online

D) CCP Games Pay to Win at skill leveling, with instant gratification

http://eve-radio.com//images/photos/3419/223/34afa0d7998f0a9a86f737d6.jpg

http://bit.ly/1egr4mF

Janine Nardieu
DEHA Transport and Industries.
#35 - 2015-05-30 09:13:27 UTC
I would just like to add I took a 18 month break from eve to return from what used to be a 120+K playerbase at the times i play to now a 20+K playerbase.

Sure, they got rid of a lot of bots, so they say, but the game has gotten way too easy and i can only imagine how much players gave up because of that fact. Instead of making it simple for the new players and taking away the struggle to get to the point you have a solid income system, be it with missions, industry or pvp, they now just hand you everything. Simple mechnics like Clones, why did they feel the need to mess with that? Because the stupid and the dumb forgot to update them, died and came here to cry. Why is an ice belt in hi-sec an anomaly that doesn't need seeking? Because the lazy came here to cry.

People who like the way things are running never post it on forums for 2 reasons. 1. Why would they? They're enjoying the game, they're having fun with it and like it the way it is. Why should they start a topic saying: "i really like this game" which 9/10 turns into a flamethead by people who dislike it. 2. Yes we might like the game but that doesn't mean we want it to stop growing an moving forwards.

They already made it a lot too easy to start off in this game. Just yesterday i was in the Help chat trying to help someone figure out how to fit his catalyst. He played the game for 2 days and already trying to PVP. What monstrosity has this game become? I don't recognise it anymore.
admiral root
Red Galaxy
#36 - 2015-05-30 11:45:26 UTC
Janine Nardieu wrote:
They already made it a lot too easy to start off in this game. Just yesterday i was in the Help chat trying to help someone figure out how to fit his catalyst. He played the game for 2 days and already trying to PVP. What monstrosity has this game become? I don't recognise it anymore.


You're right. How dare a 2-day old player get down to playing the game? He should be forced to spent the first month or two training learning skills!

No, your rights end in optimal+2*falloff

Janine Nardieu
DEHA Transport and Industries.
#37 - 2015-05-31 13:52:18 UTC
you're just completely missing the point but sure, w/e.
Geyene
Doomheim
#38 - 2015-06-01 17:57:42 UTC
Janine Nardieu wrote:
Just yesterday i was in the Help chat trying to help someone figure out how to fit his catalyst. He played the game for 2 days and already trying to PVP.


there is hope

If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.   If you have a big enough hammer, every problem is a nail.

admiral root
Red Galaxy
#39 - 2015-06-02 07:50:46 UTC
Janine Nardieu wrote:
you're just completely missing the point but sure, w/e.


The point is that it's fantastic that newbies can start playing the game from day one, instead of having to spend ages on stuff that added no value, like learning skills to help me learn skills. Roll I'd say my previous comment was spot on.

No, your rights end in optimal+2*falloff

Iain Cariaba
#40 - 2015-06-04 16:20:40 UTC
Janine Nardieu wrote:
They already made it a lot too easy to start off in this game. Just yesterday i was in the Help chat trying to help someone figure out how to fit his catalyst. He played the game for 2 days and already trying to PVP.

Why is this a problem?
Previous page123Next page