These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

A question regarding the privacy of EVE-mail.

First post
Author
Eugene Kerner
TunDraGon
The Initiative.
#221 - 2015-02-16 20:33:01 UTC
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
I just read that apparently full API access allows corporations to read the EVE-mail of potential new recruits.

I wonder if that includes any EVE-mails sent to that person, or being quoted by that person. Question

Yep. Any evemail.

That's interesting, as nobody CCP warned me that full APIs would compromise my privacy if I as much as sent a evemail to someone and that someone intended to join a player corporation and provided a full API.

Let's say that for some reason, I trust someone and evemail him some personal data, and that someone joins a corporation unaware of what a full API does mean to any personal data being shared through CCP's services...

I really wonder now whether CCP warns of that, somewhere.

omg, what are you? 4?

TunDraGon is recruiting! "Also, your boobs [:o] "   CCP Eterne, 2012 "When in doubt...make a diȼk joke." Robin Williams - RIP

Elenahina
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#222 - 2015-02-16 20:36:31 UTC
Gully Alex Foyle wrote:
Cara Forelli wrote:
+1, re: that comic, I'm half nihilist, half burrito.

I'm more of an exhibitionist Crypto Nut. I'll heavily encrypt a text file containing potential dog names, label it Login Passwords, and then leave it on a random file sharing service, just because it makes me feel warm inside to think of someone trying to crack it open.

Eve is like an addiction; you can't quit it until it quits you. Also, iderno

rofflesausage
State War Academy
Caldari State
#223 - 2015-02-16 21:29:28 UTC
This a 11/10 thread.

12 pages, a dev response and still growing. I know this is Eve GD, but come on....
Paranoid Loyd
#224 - 2015-02-16 21:31:40 UTC
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Cara Forelli wrote:

Now I want a burrito and I don't have one. Sad

Update: I went to lunch and got a burrito, it was delicious. Lol

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#225 - 2015-02-16 21:34:10 UTC
Concord Guy's Cousin wrote:
Gully Alex Foyle wrote:
Cara Forelli wrote:
+1, re: that comic, I'm half nihilist, half burrito.
Is a burrito like a kebab, only edible when you're mashed?
Hey don't ask me, I'm Italian.

Shocked

Sh*t! I just gave out personal information! On GD!

Quick! Everybody clear their browser cache, while I edit out this post...!

And Chribba, your Veldsparness, yes, I'm looking at you: turn off EVE Search, save my privacy!

Make space glamorous! Is EVE dying or not? Ask the EVE-O Death-o-meter!

Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#226 - 2015-02-16 21:55:11 UTC
What you do in life, echoes in eternity.

-- Thanks Google!

> So how do YOU want to be remembered? Smile

/c

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Jeaile
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#227 - 2015-02-17 03:41:40 UTC
Jimmy Farrere wrote:
Elenahina wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

That's right. There is not such thing as an 'expectation of privacy' in a video game software property you never personally 'own' on any computer system that you do not have direct physical control of (and if it's connected to the Internet, all bets are off).

No offense, Jenna, but I adjusted your post to more closely match reality.

So you don't have an 'expectation of privacy' of the computer systems operated by your bank, or your employer, or your doctor?

Strange world you live in. Roll

Well given you admit you don't read legal speak, which for you is likely to be anything with more than 2 syllables, you shouldn't either. even if whatever country you reside in has decent privacy laws, they all become moot when you give them permission to distribute to "third parties" (ie marketing companies and anyone else they can get a dollar from) by not explicitly denying them permission, in writing.

Your laziness and decision, yes that's right, in not reading something presented to you, you are making a decision, are what lead to the issues.

Stop blaming everyone else for the fact that you are lazy, everyone celebrates the learning cliff in eve, yet because you were lazy it's CCP's fault
Concord Guy's Cousin
Doomheim
#228 - 2015-02-17 04:11:28 UTC
For those among us that have given out a full API without actually realising what it reveals give APIJackknife a full API key and take a look; delete the key when you're done.

I've given my full API to a corp once, I made damn sure that Evemail was completely empty before I did so, just as I did when I sold a character.

ISD LackOfFaith ~ "Your Catalyst was a hamster, and your Retriever smelt of elderberries"

NPC Forum Alt, because reasons.

Glathull
Warlock Assassins
#229 - 2015-02-17 04:30:14 UTC
I don't really understand how this can be a real question or discussion.

Think about this for a moment: what happens in real life when you send someone an email? That person is, wait for it . . ., able to read your email. And if someone gains access to their credentials, then that someone can read the email you sent to that person.

It's true. There's even an API of sorts. If I have someone's email address and password, I can download their email in whatever format I want! The shock!

Do we really need an explanation telling you that if you send a message to someone in the game that, just like in real life, WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! THE RECIPIENT WILL BE ABLE TO READ THIS MESSAGE!!

Honestly, people. You're complaining about the fact that EvEMail actually works exactly the way it is supposed to work.

I honestly feel like I just read fifty shades of dumb. --CCP Falcon

Sir Substance
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#230 - 2015-02-17 07:20:01 UTC
Glathull wrote:

It's true. There's even an API of sorts. If I have someone's email address and password, I can download their email in whatever format I want! The shock!

That's not an API, not even of sorts. API's are designed for digestion by software, not people. Having a login screen is a waste of good clockcycles that's only needed if you're a human who doesn't know the login protocol.

Don't be intellectually dishonest.

The beatings will continue until posting improves. -Magnus Cortex

Official Eve Online changelist: Togglable PvP. - Jordanna Bauer

Jimmy Farrere
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#231 - 2015-02-17 07:44:16 UTC
Jeaile wrote:
Jimmy Farrere wrote:
Elenahina wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

That's right. There is not such thing as an 'expectation of privacy' in a video game software property you never personally 'own' on any computer system that you do not have direct physical control of (and if it's connected to the Internet, all bets are off).

No offense, Jenna, but I adjusted your post to more closely match reality.

So you don't have an 'expectation of privacy' of the computer systems operated by your bank, or your employer, or your doctor?

Strange world you live in. Roll

Well given you admit you don't read legal speak, which for you is likely to be anything with more than 2 syllables, you shouldn't either. even if whatever country you reside in has decent privacy laws, they all become moot when you give them permission to distribute to "third parties" (ie marketing companies and anyone else they can get a dollar from) by not explicitly denying them permission, in writing.

Your laziness and decision, yes that's right, in not reading something presented to you, you are making a decision, are what lead to the issues.

Stop blaming everyone else for the fact that you are lazy, everyone celebrates the learning cliff in eve, yet because you were lazy it's CCP's fault

Yes, I've hit the bingo! Was waiting for some mouth-breathing, self-professed intellectual to come in and tell us that we need gross insecurities in Eve's mail system because it's 'a hard game' and we shouldn't 'hand-hold people' by telling them how insecure it is up front.
Gregor Parud
Imperial Academy
#232 - 2015-02-17 08:38:28 UTC
Jimmy Farrere wrote:
Yes, I've hit the bingo! Was waiting for some mouth-breathing, self-professed intellectual to come in and tell us that we need gross insecurities in Eve's mail system because it's 'a hard game' and we shouldn't 'hand-hold people' by telling them how insecure it is up front.

You understood that wrong. He didn't say "this is EVE lol, you don't get to have secure mail". What he's saying is "people who didn't use their brain cells to figure out that some things just aren't smart to do are going to have a difficult time in EVE". Not getting that is kinda telling, I guess.
Nerath Naaris
Pink Winged Unicorns for Peace Love and Anarchy
#233 - 2015-02-17 10:50:40 UTC
If you habe problems concerning your privacy on the Internet now, I suggest you call back some 5, 10 years from today.

Boy, I will have some bad news for you then!

Je suis Paris // Köln // Brüssel // Orlando // Nice // Würzburg, München, Ansbach // Saint-Étienne-du-Rouvray

Je suis Berlin // Fort Lauderdale // London // St. Petersburg // Stockholm

Je suis [?]

Elenahina
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#234 - 2015-02-17 14:21:32 UTC
Iain Cariaba's Signature wrote:
EvE is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

Eve is like an addiction; you can't quit it until it quits you. Also, iderno

Concord Guy's Cousin
Doomheim
#235 - 2015-02-17 15:24:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Concord Guy's Cousin
Elenahina wrote:
Iain Cariaba's Signature wrote:
EvE is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

Albert Einstein wrote:
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe
Frederick S. Perls wrote:
But what is much more widespread than the actual stupidity is the playing stupid, turning off your ear, not listening, not seeing.

All three are equally relevant in Eve, and life in general.

ISD LackOfFaith ~ "Your Catalyst was a hamster, and your Retriever smelt of elderberries"

NPC Forum Alt, because reasons.

KrakizBad
Section 8.
#236 - 2015-02-17 16:03:09 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
I just read that apparently full API access allows corporations to read the EVE-mail of potential new recruits.

I wonder if that includes any EVE-mails sent to that person, or being quoted by that person. Question

Yep. Any evemail.

That's interesting, as nobody CCP warned me that full APIs would compromise my privacy if I as much as sent a evemail to someone and that someone intended to join a player corporation and provided a full API.

Let's say that for some reason, I trust someone and evemail him some personal data, and that someone joins a corporation unaware of what a full API does mean to any personal data being shared through CCP's services...

I really wonder now whether CCP warns of that, somewhere.

I don't know what else you thought full API meant? TBH this is pretty common knowledge, and given that GMs can also read your evemails, I can't think why anyone would ever put anything personal into one.

Is a "pretty common knowledge" which I ignored until just 20 minutes ago, after playing the game for most of 6 years and never needing to give a full API to anyone. Now, I don't know whether I ever said anything personal on evemail, and also don't know if that is being warned anywhere by CCP.

But I am upset that such a delicate matter is just left to be learned by chance. I never wrote evemail thinking that every last recruiter in EVE could read them.

Nobody cares about your sexting.
Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#237 - 2015-02-17 17:18:12 UTC
[quote=Chribba]What you do in life, echoes in eternity.

-- Thanks Google!

> So how do YOU want to be remembered? Smile/quote]
As a series of jabber logs.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Glathull
Warlock Assassins
#238 - 2015-02-17 20:11:37 UTC
Sir Substance wrote:
Glathull wrote:

That's not an API, not even of sorts. API's are designed for digestion by software, not people. Having a login screen is a waste of good clockcycles that's only needed if you're a human who doesn't know the login protocol.

Don't be intellectually dishonest.

What do you think POP and IMAP are?

They are protocols for third party software to access your mailboxes.

I honestly feel like I just read fifty shades of dumb. --CCP Falcon