These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

An old lost exodus feature.. comet mining

First post
Author
Naomi Hale
#141 - 2014-12-13 17:03:13 UTC
Damjan Fox wrote:
Quote:
Though as someone who has posted (here)

Your thread is unfortunately already locked, but you did a really good job there. I really like the idea of Planetary Ring Mining and you clearly put a lot of effort into it. The visualization is great and i can only hope we get to see this sort of mining (pic1, pic2) some time ingame.

So many great ideas to improve mining and so little (none?) we get.... Sad

Regards,

Damjan

Thanks.

They all get locked in the end :(

I'm Naomi Hale and this is my favourite thread on the forums.

Takamori Saig0
Sensory Overload Expeditions
#142 - 2014-12-14 14:49:41 UTC

Bump for the comet idea...
DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#143 - 2014-12-22 23:01:31 UTC
More likes!!! do this CCP!!!!

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

Esmanpir
Raccoon's with LightSabers
#144 - 2014-12-23 00:33:36 UTC
Since comets are coming from another system and God only knows where, perhaps of the rats have set up some drones on them or defense systems that have to be accounted for...?
DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#145 - 2014-12-29 17:11:18 UTC
Bump...

Come on CCP the set is already given, just spike the damn ball and do this!

Eve For life.

Sean Parisi
Blackrise Vanguard
#146 - 2014-12-29 17:52:19 UTC
I am still waiting for ring mining so I can ignore tech moons
Dantes Wolf
Interstellar Corporation of Universal Management
#147 - 2014-12-30 19:03:26 UTC
Been looking for this thread - wanted to plus one it. Now I have, thanks.

+1

"Before you diagnose yourself with low selfesteem and depression, you should first make sure, that you are not just, in fact, surrounded by assholes".

Mike Azariah
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#148 - 2014-12-30 20:20:41 UTC
I like it, too

Potential for a moving target . . . lots of odd minerals/ores/ hell even bring back the drone poo as part of the take

Only thing in OP that bugged me was 'leave one system and appear in the next' Comets come from the oort cloud outside the solar system proper. not travel warp speed to next system over

still . . . a great idea

m

Mike Azariah  ┬──┬ ¯|(ツ)

DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#149 - 2014-12-30 20:33:28 UTC
Mike Azariah wrote:
I like it, too

Potential for a moving target . . . lots of odd minerals/ores/ hell even bring back the drone poo as part of the take

Only thing in OP that bugged me was 'leave one system and appear in the next' Comets come from the oort cloud outside the solar system proper. not travel warp speed to next system over

still . . . a great idea

m

For clarification, I ment despawn in one system appear in another. =P

Eve For life.

Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#150 - 2014-12-30 20:35:35 UTC
DaReaper wrote:
Mike Azariah wrote:
I like it, too

still . . . a great idea

m

For clarification, I ment despawn in one system appear in another. =P

Have it travel towards the sun and only show up when it shows a tail (conveniently when its near enough to only have 8 hours or so before impact :D )

Would give the art folks some fun designing different comet excplosion mechanics when it gets too near and disintegrates too.

Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#151 - 2014-12-31 02:11:25 UTC
Yields progressively increase as it gets closer to the sun. Anyone on grid at impact gets podded.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#152 - 2014-12-31 11:20:53 UTC
Maybe a little excessive but I'm all for outgassings causing damage around the comet.

Perhaps if it contains moongoo and we have a new module to gather it this could include a new use of manual piloting. The moon goo gathering module would cycle every second or 2 but have a short range (4Km or so). Then the comet would be spewing rubble as it gets nearer the sun (modelled by dropping brief toxic clouds like those in the cache sites). A good pilot should be able to fly around the clouds whilst staying in range but just orbitingwould be a bad idea as you be eaten after 2-3 hits. The nearer the sun the more moon goo is exposed at the centre of the comet but also the more frequent the outgassing becomes :D
Anhenka
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#153 - 2014-12-31 23:04:16 UTC
Corraidhin Farsaidh wrote:
Maybe a little excessive but I'm all for outgassings causing damage around the comet.

Perhaps if it contains moongoo and we have a new module to gather it this could include a new use of manual piloting. The moon goo gathering module would cycle every second or 2 but have a short range (4Km or so). Then the comet would be spewing rubble as it gets nearer the sun (modelled by dropping brief toxic clouds like those in the cache sites). A good pilot should be able to fly around the clouds whilst staying in range but just orbitingwould be a bad idea as you be eaten after 2-3 hits. The nearer the sun the more moon goo is exposed at the centre of the comet but also the more frequent the outgassing becomes :D

Or I could just park a Sycthe alt in range of my miners and drop a permarep on them all so I could semi-afk it.
DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#154 - 2015-01-06 18:56:26 UTC
bump.. come on ccp, nearly 90 likes... people seem to want this

Eve For life.

Petrified
Old and Petrified Syndication
TOG - The Older Gamers Alliance
#155 - 2015-01-06 20:30:16 UTC
How is the comet moving between systems? Is it using a jump gate? If the comet can move so easily without the jump gate, then I think our efforts at creating player built jump gates should be redirected towards how comets travel so quickly between star systems light years apart.

;)

If comets were introduced - its a great idea, they should remain in the system they spawn in until they are mined out. I wonder what the server load will be like... Roll

Cloaking is the closest thing to a "Pause Game" button one can get while in space.

Support better localization for the Japanese Community.

per
Terpene Conglomerate
#156 - 2015-01-06 20:55:01 UTC
Petrified wrote:
How is the comet moving between systems? Is it using a jump gate? If the comet can move so easily without the jump gate, then I think our efforts at creating player built jump gates should be redirected towards how comets travel so quickly between star systems light years apart.

;)

If comets were introduced - its a great idea, they should remain in the system they spawn in until they are mined out. I wonder what the server load will be like... Roll

comets should just spawn like signatures and stay there till exploited (no moving between systems)

Petrified
Old and Petrified Syndication
TOG - The Older Gamers Alliance
#157 - 2015-01-06 23:31:47 UTC
per wrote:
Petrified wrote:

;)

comets should just spawn like signatures and stay there till exploited (no moving between systems)

which makes the best sense. The only difference between the current sites and this is that the comet moves. The problem with a moving comet might be related to why planetary bodies in a solar system do not move. ;) I suppose once they add the ability for planets to orbit the sun and moons to orbit the planets and stations and customs offices to orbit the moons, having comets moving in a solar system will work. Otherwise, there will be no difference between the current spawning and a new system called a comet.

Cloaking is the closest thing to a "Pause Game" button one can get while in space.

Support better localization for the Japanese Community.

Rovinia
Exotic Dancers Union
#158 - 2015-01-06 23:58:53 UTC
Great ideas here, sounds like a lot of fun content for both Miners and PvP'ers.

For that reason, i would like to see the bigger ones only in Low, 0.0, and WH space. If one enters empire space, the local faction takes care of such a hazardous, uncontrollable object that threatens their citizens. Can't imagine the mighty Amarr empire and it's rivals will have much of a problem to do something Bruce Willis allready did in 1998 (Armageddon) Blink

Well, some smaller comets might slip through space surveillance undetected...
Dradis Aulmais
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#159 - 2015-01-08 21:08:05 UTC
+10

Dradis Aulmais, Federal Attorney Number 54896

Free The Scope Three

DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#160 - 2015-01-12 19:54:36 UTC
bump.. 5 away from 100...