These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

An old lost exodus feature.. comet mining

First post
Author
Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#121 - 2014-11-12 16:23:20 UTC
Perhaps we should have a 'Philae' module that drops a lander to gather stuff :D
Hamish McRothimay
Norse Complex Inc
#122 - 2014-11-12 19:38:12 UTC
Caja Wrython wrote:
Corraidhin Farsaidh wrote:
Caja Wrython wrote:
We need this adding before I die of old age, I'm 34, run with it CCP.

I like the grapple/tractor beam idea to latch on to the comet while its moving...

I'd actually be against the grapple/tractor as this defeats the point of the comet being fast moving and rewuiring active piloting to chase down/mine. I'd even go as far as to limit the ability to orbit it automatically but that might be a bit evil :D

Humm yeah want to discourage AFK'ers, ok I stand corrected.
I would want this to be something you needed your corp mates for, something you can't do solo, someone has to do Y while some does X to collect the goodness.

The Grapple idea makes for easier integration:

Mining with Tackle:-
A Large moving object say as big as 4-8 supers in one huge lump - you scan it down warp to a predicted location point.
A complex where it passes through at high speed - tackle it - mine it till the tackle depletes cap (charges ?) then it jumps to the next point on its path through the solar system.

Move - Stasis - Warp

---OR---

Mining with interdiction:-
You have a scanning mod that projects the path of the comet. Then you have to jump between planets making save spots trying to get one close enough to the path to drop a special stasis bubble to catch it for a while and mine it till it passes through the bubble

Warp - Bubble - Warp

Both systems use existing game mechanics

Psyatt
#123 - 2014-11-12 23:45:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Psyatt
+1 to the OP and all who came before him with this concept. I have read almost all of these posts, so forgive if anything mentioned below is already covered.

I like the idea of moving comets, but we are already moving underwater instead of in space, so using RL velocities and mechanics at this stage seems a bit much.

Comet velocity could be at a rate that is slightly above current exhumer top speed, and still possibly accomplish many of the goals stated above in regards to movement, groups, logistics, etc.

So how about from 150-350 m/sec depending on size/type? No way could any ship web or tractor that much mass without contradicting game mechanics already in place. Any movement at ALL cancels the ability to align to a safe or celestial, so the ganker buffet line will already be forming without de-tanking for speed mods as well. Comet speed should be high enough to matter, but low enough that leapfrog warp mining can work with proper laser range boosts. Mining MicroJumpDrive ftw.

The Ice shell, ore/moon goo core, and gas tail ideas are just what the doctor ordered. Many different modules, all already in the game, means many DIFFERENT players and styles of mining. To mine moon goo, put a crystal in.

That is the only harvesting change that I think would be required... T2 mining crystals for the new mats.

No need to re-invent the wheel to add a conceptually new gameplay mechanic. the easier it is to implement, the higher the chance of it being implemented.

Comets should be system objects, not interstellar. They should be treated like current ice belts as far as spawns. When one dies, another is re-born a few hours later in same system but different location. No matter how few or small, there will always be a chance for a pilot to find one, no matter what time zone.

Probe scan should be required to acquire signature. Make the gankers do a little work first, and have to fit a non-gank module.

Size/type determined, as always, by system security rating.

Initial warp to zero should be always directly behind comet as calculated by direction of travel. If warp lands in the tail, due to direction of travel aligning with star, then minor shield damage occurs until clear.

Shell mining should incur no damage chance. Moving that quickly and humping those huge chunks around is enough I think.

Core mining should incur out-gassing/calving(of non-harvestable chunks) damage chance.

Tail mining should incur constant small "abrasion" damage, which increases if tail and direction of travel are aligned. Harvestable tail could begin 5Km out from comet with a width double that of comet, and extend 100 Km to a 50 Km width. Only center of tail should be harvestable, so the damage is unavoidable.

Tail should always be aligned outward from star, regardless of vector.

No calving(breaking up to manageable chunks) operations should be allowed, as the fun-killers would be out ganking comets. You know it, I know it, CCP knows it. Anyone who played Homeworld knows about resource denial operations in space.

Comets, once spawned, should stay until mined out. System should roll a die every DT to see if there may be any extras seeded or not.

When comet is mined out, calving animation into the last un-harvestable chunks would be nice. They spin off along the initial vector and then fade.

BMs won't work. Comet will be off grid too quickly.

Fleet warps will. Even slowboat miners can mine as comet passes with range boost, then warp ahead to fleet scout for the next pass. Leapfrog mining for the slow fitted ships.

How many sizes and types, as well as racial space composition, I leave to more experienced space spreadsheeters. I would like to see at least 5 sizes and at least a few different possible core combinations per size.

A Comet should be like a box of chocolates.... you never know what you're going to get until you bite into it. the shell can be scanned for ice type, and that is it.

Very small but definite chance of cataclysmic reaction if mining laser contacts core of certain very rare "unstable" comets. 3K damage with an Area of Effect of 20 km looks about right. Not only self-ganking, but possibly everyone-ganking. Losec Nulsec Negsec only of course. Tail miners get a good laugh.

Love the idea, and could go on and on.

To CCP... how many likes does it take to get to the center of your tootsie pop?

Implement this please.

-------------------------- edit - Coma effects. The closer a comet is to its primary, the larger the coma. All targeting, tracking, scanning is reduced when inside coma. Ships inside coma are conversely harder to lock.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#124 - 2014-11-13 01:21:00 UTC
The fact that the ESA has done it for real speaks volumes...

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

marly cortez
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#125 - 2014-11-15 20:47:30 UTC
Scan-able Comets and Comet fragments that can be mined for high yield mineral amounts far above that obtained from Belts appearing at random in a system sounds to me like a recipe for.....Interesting content generation.

Humanity is the thin veneer that remains after you remove the baffled chimp.

DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#126 - 2014-11-17 17:16:13 UTC
bump

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

Vudra Keerah
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#127 - 2014-11-19 19:22:20 UTC
/support
Jackson Apollo
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#128 - 2014-11-19 21:50:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Jackson Apollo
+1

Any implementation that wont melt the server is fine.
DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#129 - 2014-11-25 23:49:17 UTC
bump

Eve For life.

DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#130 - 2014-12-01 23:33:35 UTC
I shall keep bumping till this in eve.. BUMP! more likes!!!

Eve For life.

Caja Wrython
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#131 - 2014-12-04 08:48:27 UTC
Keeping the fire burning on this one, this would really open up new possibilities for miners!
Takamori Saig0
Sensory Overload Expeditions
#132 - 2014-12-04 14:55:30 UTC

Not sure if this was mentioned above at all, but how about being able to weaponize the comets ( maybe only a certain type, smaller , of a certain speed or whatever ). With a lot of effort allow a team to alter the trajectory / orbit of the comet so that it heads for a particular station or even planet - destroying the station or shattering / altering the planet ( could turn a temperate planet into a barren planet )

OP ? Hell yes, but would be an awesome sight....

...may i suggest Jita gets it first ? Big smile
Jenshae Chiroptera
#133 - 2014-12-04 15:33:01 UTC
+1

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Eric Shang
Celestial Outlaw
#134 - 2014-12-04 16:05:30 UTC
I dont mine anything but what the OP stated sounds boss. CCP make it so.

Ex Pirate - Now a reborn priest for Faith Singularity

My Pirate Journey: http://ericshangthepirate.wordpress.com/

DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#135 - 2014-12-08 17:11:02 UTC
bump please

Eve For life.

Takamori Saig0
Sensory Overload Expeditions
#136 - 2014-12-09 23:04:14 UTC

BUMP

I want comets with real-life rendering !
Bearcastle
Bionesis Technologies
#137 - 2014-12-13 10:21:17 UTC
Bump
Naomi Hale
#138 - 2014-12-13 13:44:03 UTC
+1 for mining changes....

Though as someone who has posted (here) and read a lot of these I will warn you that they don't (usually) get a lot of dev or csm attention.

I'm Naomi Hale and this is my favourite thread on the forums.

Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#139 - 2014-12-13 15:03:26 UTC
They do read these threads but seemingly rarely acknowledge which ideas are included/adapted. Re: mining changes keep an eyr out as gas clouds just started appearing in hisec...something's afoot and I don't mean 12 inches....
Damjan Fox
Fox Industries and Exploration
#140 - 2014-12-13 16:08:11 UTC
Quote:
Though as someone who has posted (here)

Your thread is unfortunately already locked, but you did a really good job there. I really like the idea of Planetary Ring Mining and you clearly put a lot of effort into it. The visualization is great and i can only hope we get to see this sort of mining (pic1, pic2) some time ingame.

So many great ideas to improve mining and so little (none?) we get.... Sad

Regards,

Damjan